Malakai Fekitoa smashes Conrad Smith

Rodney Ah You smashes Alistair Hargeaves

Plays of the Month - February 2014

Sebastien Chabal knocks out Marc Giraud

Ben May nearly scores greatest prop try

The old ball in the jersey trick

Ref Romain Poite in front of the kicker

Top 10 Tries in South African Rugby 2013

Beauden Barrett's 2013 Try of the Year

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

King Carlos Spencer's brilliant full-field try vs the Crusaders

King Carlos Spencer vs the Crusaders

Carlos Spencer is a living legend, who on form was unstoppable. He's changed the game with his spontaneity on the field, and the 'banana reverse chip kick' (seen quite a bit these days) was his creation. A hard man, and a huge talent.

It's a pity he left New Zealand when he did, but then again, Dan Carter has been a more than capable replacement for the All Blacks, even though he's a totally different type of player.

This try shows the cockiness and pure confidence of the man. I love the way he walked all the way over to the corner and took his time putting the ball down. Brilliant.

Posted at 11:22 am | 8 comments

Posted in Great Tries, See it to Believe it

randomstupid January 23, 2008 4:14 am

nice one king Carlos - dotting the ball down right in the corner - i think the real knife twist for the Cantab crowd was when after he slotted the conversion as well

Janis March 20, 2008 5:19 pm

the only crusader that can actually smile is Chris Jack... great character!

Elliot April 05, 2008 8:15 am

Just a thought...someone please correct me here if I'm mistaken, but one of the crusaders could have simply run into one of the players in the tryzone and forced an obstruction call...since Spencer was carrying the ball at all times. I don't know if the law is different in the tryzone than on the rest of the pitch, but I'm pretty sure that they're in "offsides" positions (unless the concept of "offsides" goes away within the tryzone...).Anyways, hindsight is always 20/20.

G-unit April 15, 2008 4:42 am

That's just awesome!!

jams September 29, 2012 10:50 am

hi all the older rugbydump videos won't play for me including this one i think its something to do with the site but im not sure could i have some help please?

mendorugger October 03, 2012 11:22 am

He's not being cocky, he's playing smart, the times just about to expire and the score is a close one. He's running out the clock. this is what happens though when you follow the ball. Pay dirt!

Canadian content October 18, 2012 4:21 am

Let's see, up by 2, about to score under the posts and kick an easy convert, which I think makes it a 9 point differential, nahh I'd say that's being cocky and rubbing it in, not just running down the clock. His teammates look almost uncomfertable walking behind him.

That being said, brilliant try and big balls to pull that one off. That being said as well, I always felt that King Carlos's attitude did not match up to his skills. He was the most talented player of his generation, but was not as committed to winning and thus will never be remembered as being as great as DC or Jonny.

I liked the way he played the game in terms of his skills, I hated his prima donna anti rugby ethos attitude.

Canadian content October 18, 2012 4:21 am