Dafydd Howells scores quickest try ever?

Huge hit by Tonga in Pacific Nations Cup

Jebb Sinclair red card for leading elbow

George Pisi hit makes Shane Geraghty ill

Catch up with Sam Warburton

The Top 5 French Flair moments

Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

Closing montage from Heineken Cup final

Courtney Lawes crunches Charlie Hodgson

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

All... White Kapo O Pango Haka vs Scotland

All... White Kapo O Pango Haka vs Scotland

The meeting between the Scots and New Zealand at Murrayfield Stadium on Sunday was much talked about in the media prematch. The reason was that the Scots said they'd be resting their mainline players as they had no chance of beating the World Cup favourites anyway.

They were right and the All Blacks, who were clearly pumped up for the Haka, looked like they wanted to prove a point, winning the match 40-0 despite not being 100% clinical.

I noticed a couple of things though:
Firstly, that All Black/White/Grey kit looked absolutely horrendous. The fact that on the field both sides looked the same didn't help the occasion and showed poor planning by the organisers. I actually expected them to change their jerseys and come out wearing black at half time. Didn't happen. I can only imagine how confusing it was for them out on the field.

My second observation is that Ali Williams is slowly becoming a bit of a joke when performaing the Haka. I admire him as a player who is a competitive, talented, and hard working second rower. But when performing the Haka he makes me laugh. There's nothing scary and intimidating about a guy like him sticking his tongue out. It just looks a bit too exaggerated and fake. It works for some players but he is certainly one it doesn't suit. Dan Carter is another.

Tana Umaga on the other hand would have me shivering in my boots and asking for a new pair of shorts.

Posted at 10:37 am | 55 comments

Eoghan September 25, 2007 11:18 am

Good on ya hayman for leading it, I thought it was really well done. pity the uniforms are AWFUL. Pretty sure WHITE is what the ABs wear in scotland... rookie mistake by adidas. Fire up fellas, hope this WC gets some big upsets soon. Like tonga knocking out england, or Fiji taking out Wales. Or the argies becoming top of group D. Poor France NZ final played a couple games early?

Anonymous September 25, 2007 11:49 am

i saw this live on itv.... is it not the longest and un-intimidating haka ever seen?! why is it so slow? and oh yes. the kit is awful. i dont know why they didnt play in black and scotland change their kit. unorthodox but would have made more sense than to have both teams wearing almost the same kit.

Anonymous September 25, 2007 11:52 am

who let moron kelleher stand in FRONT of big ne tialata? if you listen hard you can actually hear the pr*ck screaming the words. somebody get him to the back.

Anonymous September 25, 2007 12:07 pm

lol @ Ali Williams , you are right on that one...that guy is a joke

Rugbydump Admin September 25, 2007 12:40 pm

Apparently they actually did a coin toss to see who was the home side, and obviously Scotland won.But then another story says that the All.. ehem.. Blacks left their black kit at their base in France anyway, so they couldn't change at halftime regardless.A shambles all in all.

Anonymous September 25, 2007 1:14 pm

LOOOOOOL typical scrum half with a height issue!!! Kelleher is good but still looked like a pleb!!! and yeh i agree, ali williams should have really just used his presence no need for the tongue...makes me laugh!!! Umaga has done the best Kapo O Pango Haka so far i reckon!!

Anonymous September 25, 2007 1:19 pm

With regards the Haka, why did they change it? I preferred the other one and agree with 1.49pm, far less intimidating.Also, do the All Blacks only wear a change of kit against Scotland? Adidas should have seen that a mile off!

Anonymous September 25, 2007 2:11 pm

Ali Williams is a joke. What's with the mullet anyway? He looks like a Canadian hockey player circa 1988.

Kurt September 25, 2007 3:12 pm

Ali Williams gets it wrong at the end too, hes takes an extra step or something and looks like he doesnt know what hes doing.

No.7 September 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Nah Kurt he didnt get it wrong! if you watch some of the haka's players will wander ahead of everyone to get right up close to the opposition....(dunno if they put a restriction on that now?!?) but yeh i'd agree he doesnt look particularly uniform with the others on this one and if he was doing his own thing, he did it badly!!!

Jacknife September 25, 2007 4:19 pm

i'm completely agree with you. the identiical shirts in the match was absolutely crazy thing, with non respect witch audience.

freecell September 25, 2007 5:17 pm

Yep, white on white basically was aweful. I've noticed Kelleher is always quite the enthusiastic one when it comes to the haka, I don't mind, it's meant to fire them up anyway. Umaga was scary regardless. I also noticed Jerry Collins seems sorta lazy when he does it?Too bad the game itself didn't help my confidence that we can annihilate everyone, although SA vs Tonga helped settle me a bit.Good luck NZ!

Belladavuz September 25, 2007 7:43 pm

Kelleher believes in the Haka

Anonymous September 25, 2007 8:53 pm

what a bunch of muppets

Anonymous September 25, 2007 9:39 pm

Aussie Clyde September 25, 2007 9:43 pm

I found the Tonga and Somoa hakas to be more genuine and done by real pacific islanders in the first place and who are more intimidating.

Anonymous September 25, 2007 9:56 pm

Hate to say it, but I guess white people just can't do the haka very well.

fishboy September 26, 2007 12:50 am

Anonymous at September 25, 2007 11:39 PM: for the last fucking time - NZ is a Polynesian nation! Jeezus! And the haka is a Maori thing - heard of them? Y'know, they live in NZ? Big brown guys? Try telling them they copied it and see how long you last.Aussie clyde: Your opinion is, of course, your own, but what exactly is not 'real' about the ABs? And the Haka? Only NZ do a haka! The Tongans do the Kailao, the Samoans the Siva Tau and the Fijians the Cibi. Have some respect for their challenges by naming them what they are.

fishboy September 26, 2007 12:52 am

That said.. Byron Kelleher needs a valium.. And I think Ali Williams gets away with the haircut because no-one wants to tell a 2 metre tall guy he looks like a dick...

fishboy September 26, 2007 1:00 am

Correction: The Tongan challenge is the Sipi Tau. My bad.

G-unit. September 26, 2007 3:31 am

Yes, good corrections fishboy. And i agree they should of kept Kapo O Pango the way they did it against south africa in the test in ChCh...the best version! Tana doing that one, sent shivers down the spine, even watching it on TV...screw political correctness!!

Anonymous September 26, 2007 3:47 am

Who gives a F#*ck!! The ABs rock, we are going to win the Cup and the haka whichever one, is something all Kiwis are proud of. Ali Williams is a legend too, are you guys Kiwi's hating on Ali?? Shame on you!!

suesieg September 26, 2007 5:17 am

How can Dan Carter expect to be taken seriously doing the Haka, making mean faces, when his Jockey underpants ads are all over the show? Seriously guys, if you go public in your keks, everyone will just laugh.Ali Williams could improve Haka performances by taking his shirt off.

fishboy September 26, 2007 6:24 am

Anon: I support the ABs, always have. I'm proud of them and their achievements - and I'll be proud of them whether they return with the cup or not. On the other hand you've got to realise that it's still just a game, and some of the people you venerate and hang so much hope on act like dicks. Or at least look funny. Ali Williams I'm sure is a lovely guy - he's a fantastic rugby player and passionate in the Haka too - but that mullet really has to go...

Anonymous September 26, 2007 11:06 am

I think the ABs should have played in an all grey kit, even all white, cause i don't care about the color, the only important thing is the game ! And those grey/blacks kits screwed this game

Anonymous September 26, 2007 12:16 pm

I really appreciate your work on the website, but do I care about white boy Ally Williams? Pls pls pls stick up the final couple of mins of the Japan vs Canada, that was awesome. And loads of Tonga, Argentina, anyone got any video to make a compilation of the heroic minnows? Tell me where I can download some and I'll do it.Cheers

Anonymous September 26, 2007 2:30 pm

Just a quick request, can you please upload videos (if you have any) of multiple war dances being done at the same time? i.e the one with the ABs doing the haka vs the tongans ( here ), or anything similar. Cheers.

Anonymous September 26, 2007 4:32 pm

I don't understand why all the world teams must tolerate the hakas, because it's only a weapon (intimidation and provocation) gift to All Black (and others...) against the others team.If I was professionnal player i just sit down and watch it with something to eat, like I was at the circus... (sorry, just jocking ;) ... )Sorry for my poor english.

fishboy September 27, 2007 1:14 am

Anonymous at September 26, 2007 4:30 PM: there didn't seem to be the same kind of confrontations this time, they took turns rather than went free-form. It was a little disappointing really - although I guess the organisers wouldn't have wanted a fight to have broken out between Tonga & Samoa before the match even started :)

Wal September 27, 2007 4:08 am

" Anonymous said... why do these jokers keep changing the haka - its just copied off the pacific islanders culture and traditions anyway, what a sell out."Look up "Maori" in the internet, idiot.If people have only just realised that Kelleher and Williams look a bit... weird... doing the haka, then they haven't been watching closely enough.The haka is a great bit of history before each match. The ROTW response to it is interesting. "Ban it!" they cry, "Unfair advantage!" they scream.And then when they don't do it in front of the crowd a la versus Wales in 2005, they complain about it not being done.

Anonymous September 27, 2007 8:25 pm

At no point is Dan Carter filmed. How is he funny when perfomring the Haka?

Muse_Fan78 September 27, 2007 10:20 pm

There's too many Haka's, can't keep up I swear. Do they have a hat and pick it at random on the team coach on their way to the match as you use this different Haka against SCOTLAND? What a waste of a perfectly good hat! :p

fishboy September 28, 2007 12:52 am

Muse_Fan78 there are two (2) Hakas. Go on, I bet even you can count that high.

Anonymous September 29, 2007 11:13 am

Most of you pricks dont know what the hell youre talking about, do some investigation before making your call on something. Like read a book or the bloody thing youre typing on using hand with. W A N K E R S

fishboy September 29, 2007 4:13 pm

Did someone forget to take their meds?

The Clairvoyant September 30, 2007 3:46 pm

@ Anonymous, at September 25, 2007 11:39 PM : get some information before you make a dick out of yourself.

Anonymous October 02, 2007 6:07 pm

you bunch of mothafockas

Anonymous October 02, 2007 10:06 pm

Who is that at the 29th second?

fishboy October 03, 2007 3:16 am

Byron "I Haka like my head's going to explode and cry during the nation anthem" Kelleher.

SomeoneNamedGod October 03, 2007 2:17 pm

Kapa o Pango kia whakawhenua au i ahau!H aue, h! Ko Aotearoa e ngunguru nei!Au, au, aue h!Ko Kapa O Pango e ngunguru nei!Au, au, aue h!I hah! Ka t te ihiihiKa t te wanawanaKi runga ki te rangi e t iho nei, t iho nei, h!Ponga r!Kapa o Pango, aue h!Ponga r!Kapa o Pango, aue h, h! All Blacks!

Anonymous October 03, 2007 6:35 pm

i think thats its just that ali's soooo lanky that the camera can't show him doing the haka properly but he isn't exactly the dogs bollocks now is he. give me martin johnson anyday

Anonymous October 10, 2007 10:41 pm

i loved that haka.loved it

Anonymous October 12, 2007 3:53 pm

byron kelleher obvilously has small man syndrome lol he does look like a complete prick in this vid

Anonymous October 21, 2007 5:51 am

Yawn! Most boring Haka ever. All Blacks are falling apart at the seams. Boks World Champs 2007. Let me say it again, Boks World Champs 2007! Damn it's good to hear myself say that.

mauman October 21, 2007 10:57 am

I still think it's weird. A bunch of European decendeants doing a tribal war-whatever. Ok. It's a dance. They can't really believe in what they're doing then, right?Probably the same war-dance (damn, I keep seeing it as a dance)as the real Maori's did before going into battle against the same decendants forefathers. Am I missing something or doesn't that add up?

Anonymous November 05, 2007 1:08 am

ali williams doesnt stick his tongue out for shits and giggles, its a pukana its a well known feature of the maori culture, you ignorant idiot!!

GMC January 11, 2008 6:13 am

So Ali Williams is a Maori then? Just doesn't look good. Nothing scary about it. Trying too hard.

Anonymous January 20, 2008 12:37 am

ali williams looks bluddy stupid doing............what ever that stupid little dance was!!! oh and by the way...... well done against france!!!!!! ha

Anonymous February 07, 2008 8:30 pm

you stupid europeans you homo's don't know a thing about the moari haka and by the way ali williams is trying hes hardest,and thats all that count's you fagets don't know a thing about haka's so fuck all of you's you pussy's

Anonymous February 11, 2008 10:16 pm

Why dont you guys lay off Ali Williams, i bet that you just say those things about his hair and his tounge because he made it in rugby and you are all forced to watch it on the internet. You wouldnt be making any of these comments if you possessed any athletic abilities

Diesa February 11, 2008 10:22 pm

I quite like Ali's hair :P:L

ICEYFRESH July 22, 2008 9:54 pm

How did the other all blacks keep a straight face when kelleher was screaming out the words??He goes high pitched in one bit.. Lol

Anonymous August 11, 2008 8:01 am

i uno man the away kit is allright i think its a nice change from the all blacks being in all black :p

no9 September 05, 2008 7:36 pm

more nations need to challenge the haka like france!!how? i dont know maybe if each man stood in front of one of them and stared them down..that would get me more siqued up than they were

Jesse May 06, 2009 1:53 pm