England beat Baby Boks in JWC2014 final

Closing montage from Heineken Cup final

Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

Bloody Florian Fritz returns to play

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Lifeimi Mafi hates it when referees get in his way

Lifeimi Mafi hates it when referees get in his way

Against Edinburgh last year, young Munster centre Lifeimi Mafi did something that I bet the majority of us wish we had the opportunity to do.

Seeing the ref in front of him, blocking his path to the tackle, Mafi decides that, besides the bright yellow jersey, he can get away with it.

I love the way the ref just jumps up again as if nothing happened.

Time: 0:42
Note:
Thanks to Proinsias who requested this and told us where to find it.

Posted at 8:36 am | 12 comments

Anonymous January 22, 2008 9:44 am

Haha quality

italian scrummy January 22, 2008 10:15 am

Nice tackling Mafi....just wish I could do that..I'd be much more relaxed during a game after doing that.hahaha;)

Cheyanqu January 22, 2008 3:14 pm

No excuse for the player to do it...Except perhaps to make it ABUNDANTLY clear to the referee evaluators that this ref needs work on his positional play...

JS January 22, 2008 5:09 pm

Could he be cited for this?! not saying he should be or anything, just out of interest really. i dont know what exactly it would be ruled as....

Rod January 22, 2008 5:18 pm

f he thought it was deliberate then yes, but you can see the Edinburgh player comes back in as Mafi is lining him up so the ref would only have come into his field of vision relatively late..still, not sure I'll try it Saturday myself

joeblack January 22, 2008 5:31 pm

was at that game & the ref was giving us (munster) nothing so the tackle went down great with the crowd

Chris Parberry January 22, 2008 10:20 pm

haha munster always provides quality rugby, in any aspect, even if the tackling is against a refi myself hate when refs block my path, and i thought about this once, except refs are liek elephants, they NEVER forget haha

JS January 22, 2008 11:40 pm

"i myself hate when refs block my path, and i thought about this once, except refs are liek elephants, they NEVER forget haha"how odd.............our refs are like elephants....literally.....

Anonymous January 24, 2008 7:38 pm

annoying as fuck when the referee gets in the way - well played to him.

Claudio March 27, 2008 7:10 pm

When you gotta get to the ball..you just gotta get to the ball..still...i think the ref realized he was in the way...otherwise he wouldnt have taken it so lightly..

Anonymous June 05, 2008 5:15 pm

ref would have got smashed anyway so mafi kind of saved him

Liam Jefford July 01, 2008 1:38 pm

That does my bloody nut in when the ref gets in the way, so many tries are given where the referee stands in the way of defense when they're defending on their own try area an they clearly block defense but they still give the try you know maan that is soooo annoying! he deserved it:)