The Top 5 Schoolboy Prodigies

Cheslin Kolbe dazzling run, no look pass

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Female Streaker has no regrets

Step and unbelievable dummy sets up try

Mike Brown's great try saving tackle

Biggest Hits in World Rugby in August

Joe Marler and his unsual pets

Southland sensational try after big bump

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mont de Marsan big hit on Agen winger

Mont de Marsan big hit on Agen winger

From the same French Pro D2 game that brought us absolute mayhem on and off the pitch, as seen here , you probably haven't seen this massive hit that happened earlier in the match.

As the restart approached, the Agen flyhalf thought he had spotted a gap and an opportunity to catch the Mont de Marsan defence napping. He got it horribly wrong though, as his right wing Luc Lafforgue can testify to after being absolutely smashed by the Montois replacement, Georgian winger Irakli Machkhaneli.

Machkhaneli is the same player who put in one of the hits of the World Cup against Namibia, which on that occasion , resulted in a try.

As you can see from the reactions afterwards, tempers were high all throughout this game, which eventually boiled over into what we saw in the other clip.

The impact of this hit was huge, but was it 100% legal?

Posted at 11:35 am | 21 comments

Anonymous April 10, 2008 11:45 am

nothing wrong with tackle at all. 21 had better body position to make the hit on the other who was pulling out to try and turn to look for the quick off load or step/set up.. great hit anyways!!

Anonymous April 10, 2008 11:47 am

I'd say this was legal, maybe a bit high, but not dangerous. Massive hit!This is coming from a flanker though, so don't take my word for it! I played one match like this this season (under 19s) where every questionable hit would turn in to a brawl (I got face-stamped in the 2nd min of play). I can't say it wasn't fun, but it's not the type of match I'd want to play in every week. It was the tightest most contested game I've ever played (we won 6-0 against the home team) and adrenaline was on 150% the whole 80 min.cheers RD,Tim (7)

Anonymous April 10, 2008 11:53 am

wat a hit. legal. not high at all and used his arms! C Bear

nick April 10, 2008 12:24 pm

well , as for leagality some say no, but c'mon ,ehats so wrong with it? personaly it was bloody awsome legal or not and who cares anyway, it IS RUGBY, i wanna see more of these too bee honest and they could get bigger!!!!!!! (lets hope)it's the sort of hit brian lima use too do , start taking thease out and rugby dump won't have very much on it's website anymore , ( mainly why i watch shit here- the HITS)

nico April 10, 2008 1:05 pm

Looks legal to me. As pointed out by anonymous #1, the winger misjudged the hit and was not quite looking at the right place at the right moment. Can't blame the tackler. He was committed and well positioned. Great hit.

jay April 10, 2008 1:45 pm

The guy still doesn't have the ball, so I'm not sure the real intent is to tackle here... but nothing ilegal to me.Btw it's on Lafforgue who's the one who started the huge brawl between Bourgoin and Agen 2 years ago... Karma ?

Eric April 10, 2008 1:59 pm

For me, it looks pretty similar to the one the goegian guy did in the world cup, the attacker was not looking and BAM!! you got dumped.In the edge, but legal in the end.

mo14k April 10, 2008 3:32 pm

100% Legal101% Hard102% AwesomeNeed more tackles like these, and they're very tactical, as you're still on your feet so you can grab the ball the second the player hits the ground, and if quick enough, you're sorted before a Ruck is formed.

Don April 10, 2008 4:13 pm

I dunno about u but I found the commentator's reaction funny "oOOhh LOLOLOLOLO"LMAO

No.7 April 10, 2008 4:41 pm

ouch........

Bill April 10, 2008 6:21 pm

I'd say legal. Certainly high enough for the ref to say something to the player about it, especially since he's already stopped play, but not worthy of any kind of penalty.

Typhon April 10, 2008 7:53 pm

I understand why you question the legality of the hit.In 1:05 you can see the ball sliping from the Agen player hands, so he wasnt in possesion at the time of the hit.Of course i could only see that in slow motion.The momentum was so fast and such a good timing from the tackler, no referee would consider it ilegal.Great hit.

kvt April 10, 2008 8:48 pm

seemed legal to me and good to see the ref and his assistants controlling things

Anonymous April 10, 2008 9:58 pm

Anonymous April 10, 2008 11:39 pm

fucking spear tackle!!cheers RDTim (7)

istya April 11, 2008 12:01 am

"the tackle was awful, his shoulder collided with the players head, if this didnt happen he would of gone straight through him"Actually, if you watch the slow motion replay carefully, you'll see that he collides with his shoulder, not his head.

winger April 11, 2008 1:00 am

its totally 100% legal.. no question there about it at all.. poor winger tho.. got put in a spot thks to his stand off kicking lol.. i wish my team mate wld never put me in such a situation lol

Lobes April 11, 2008 4:00 am

No confusion at all. Good hit. He led with his arms and even though it was a ball n' all it wasnt high IMHO.

Anonymous April 11, 2008 10:14 am