Ben Flower red card for vicious punches

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Southland sensational try after big bump

Step and unbelievable dummy sets up try

The Top 5 Schoolboy Prodigies

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Why you should always tackle low

Ben Tameifuna massive fend on huge prop

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Amazing finish to Perth thriller between the Chiefs and the Force

Amazing finish to a Perth thriller between the Chiefs and the Force

The Western Force upset the Waikato Chiefs with the last play of the game to snatch a 22-21 win in their Super 14 clash at Subiaco on Saturday night.

In a dramatic finish, the Force's Cameron Shepherd appeared to cross for the winning try with 10 seconds to go, only for the video referee to rule a knock-on. However, referee Marius Jonker was playing advantage and the ball went back to Matt Giteau to take the match-deciding kick after the final siren.

Giteau was up to the challenge though and it never looked likely to miss. Reminiscent of last seasons classic match, in which Shephered himself had a last minute kick to win it, this game is another in the great, nailbiting wins for the Force at home.

Captain Nathan Sharpe thought his side had blown it when Shepherd's try was disallowed.

"What a game - unbelievable," he said. "I didn't know we had a penalty. I was disappointed for the boys we didn't get a try. That is the sort of kick you want Matt Giteau kicking."

Take note of Sharpe's cheeky comment to the ref when realising they had the penalty. A great finish to a thrilling game.

Posted in See it to Believe it

Nick May 03, 2008 10:08 pm

Could you get the highlights of the Bath vs. Saracens match(66-21) please?

nick May 04, 2008 1:15 am

I WAS THERE it was ASOME!!!!!we should of got that bloody try though !!!!!!i was yelling so hard at the end i got a massive head ache at the end this was sensational!!!!! got the boys back on track i reckon!!!!

Luke May 04, 2008 1:23 am

this was a great game, i was over my mate's watching it, they were all out back having a drink and i was anti social and stayed inside to watch it, couldn't take my eyes off the screen! last try looked like a knock on, but it doesn't matter, game was won!nick, that bath-saracens game was a try scoring feast! olly barkley looked absolutely incredible.

Cheyanqu May 04, 2008 4:40 am

Yet again, referees do whatever the hell they want. I think referees SHOULD be able to use the TMO for whatever they need.However, the call made was not in the scope of the TMO's current role.Jonker needed to sack up and make the call of a try or no try himself.All that aside, a cracker of a match and great news for my favorite teams (Stormers, Sharks)

lil Chris May 04, 2008 10:52 am

Love ends of game like this, makes a standard leauge game o (or even a friendly) feel like a cup final with the anticipation/nerves etc. Love the force's captain's coolness! Great clip

Anonymous May 04, 2008 11:43 am

what did the guy say to the ref?I couldnt quite hear it

Prae May 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Not available....already.

Anonymous May 04, 2008 5:13 pm

I didnt understand what he says...George Oliver

Prae May 04, 2008 5:18 pm

Its ok now!

ed May 04, 2008 5:32 pm

he says "penalty here?" "i think we might have a shot ey?". I always thought he looked like a bit of a psycho serial killer type but actually seems like a gd laugh.

Shaft May 04, 2008 6:04 pm

Sharpe - "So we get the penalty here?"Ref - "Yeah, penalty here"Sharpe - "We might have a shot at it"Ref - "I think so"Lol, pretty funny, great moment. Tense game but Giteau kept his cool to slot it. Classic game for the neutral, heart breaker for the Chiefs though.

G-unit May 05, 2008 2:29 am

I couldn't believe it! I watched this game too, great game!!

peppers May 06, 2008 11:28 am

tmos should be used like this more often

Dave June 13, 2008 12:23 am

On the use of the TMO. Fair call in my opinion. My suspicion was the Jonker thought there may in fact have been a knock on but wanted to be sure. Especially in fromt of the home crowd. It was quite hard to judge even in slo-mo.Timani should have gone for it though instead of passing. He ended up sliding over the tryline anyway.Great game. Yeah Sharpie seems like a character. Gotta love a dry sense of humour.