George Pisi hit makes Shane Geraghty ill

Tony Brown takes big hit from Pakalani

Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

Huge hit by Tonga in Pacific Nations Cup

Biggest punches & worst fights in France

Southland sensational try after big bump

Maxime Machenaud carries Heini Adams!

Two casual tryscorers shown up

Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

Friday, July 11, 2008

Tana Umaga and the first Kapa O Pango in 2005

Tana Umaga and the first Kapa O Pango in 2005

When the Springboks lined up to face the All Blacks in Dunedin three years ago, as they will tomorrow, there was something very different about to happen that changed the face of the traditional New Zealand Haka forever.

Tana Umaga led the All Blacks as they revealed the Kapa O Pango to the world for the first time. It was a rousing and impassioned performance that will never be forgotten, and was has since been performed sporadically, but more commonly, on special occasions against feared opponents.

This performance in 2005 is considered one of the most memorable, not only as it was the first time we got to see the challenge, that was secretly rehearsed for weeks, but because of the way Umaga led it, giving chills down the spine for viewers around the world, let alone the awaiting Springboks.

The throat slitting action at the end has since been withdrawn after it sparked controversy for it's violent, misunderstood message.

The final score on this day in Dunedin was 31-27 to the All Blacks.

felix July 11, 2008 10:51 pm

man that was awesome. even better than the original haka. the throat cutting gesture is harcore. i like it as an all black fan but i understand people saying it's not appropriate. does everyone rememebr all that crap about the gesture not being about throat cutting but instead it was to do with drawing life or releasing energy!? the haka isn't supposed to offend so i'm glad they changed it.

Paul July 12, 2008 12:30 am

well Felix, war dances like the NZ haka, were precisely meant to offend and scare the shit out of ya opponents. however, with all the commercialism/sanctions/shit surrounding the AB haka, they might as well be the Backstreet Boys doing a dance routine...might be entertaining, but intimidating it aint..

Gato July 12, 2008 3:50 am

The correct name is Kapa o Pango.A lot of criticism has been made about it, mostly by people who do not get it. A haka is mainly a challenge to the opposition. The NZRU's web site www.allblacks.com has a Haka section with a few vids http://www.allblacks.com/index.cfm?layout=haka . One explains the importance of the haka, for New Zealanders and for rugby. Another one explains Kapa o Pango. I am sure that after watching them many of the critics will understand a bit more of what they are dissing with such ease.

Anonymous July 12, 2008 5:16 am

I still prefer the Ka Mate. I just can't get fired up as much as a spectator from looking at Kapa O Pango.

V99 July 12, 2008 5:36 am

I really hope we'll see Kapo O Pango tonight, it will be the first time this year if they do.It's an impressive Haka but I honestly don't think Umaga had the voice to be leading the haka. There's no doubt he's passionate and does it well, but his voice just sounds too blown out and not deep enough.

Don July 12, 2008 5:42 am

The intensity, can u hear the bloodthirst/blood-gurgling in their voices? Tana Umaga...OH TANA!

Ed July 12, 2008 10:59 am

i know this is going to upset everyone but I think they look silly. I don't find it scary, exhilarating or passionate. Tana looks like he's having a tantrum and it's kind of embarrassing. Just being honest... hit me with the vitriol.

Anonymous July 12, 2008 12:12 pm

Impressive stuff!Would have loved to hear what the commentators had to say after it.- Irish All Blacks fan.

el nino July 12, 2008 12:17 pm

pure passion :D

caucau's no.1 fan July 12, 2008 12:47 pm

the throat slitting and everything looks pretty scary, but this version definately isnt as scary as the ka mate. it has no real rhythm to it, the ka mate sounds like a war song. also the kapa o pango they seem to spend ages just down at the floor, which isnt really that intimidating. probably why they use the ka mate more!

Will July 12, 2008 2:44 pm

I'd love to see Ed standing accross from this saying that Tana looks silly..If I was about to play rugby against them I'd shit myself seeing this

TheFullback July 12, 2008 3:25 pm

I think that getting rid of the throat slitting was utterly pointless. I can understand where people were coming from - saying it gave out the wrong message and stuff like that, but it wasn't as if the All Blacks were ACTUALLY about to go out and kill you...?

Welshallblack July 12, 2008 4:30 pm

I get hugely fired up by that and I'm Welsh!

dai July 12, 2008 7:43 pm

^ same here

bD July 12, 2008 8:13 pm

get the one where tonga do their wardance at the same time as the haka. 2003 wordlcup its on youtube....the atmosphere is amazing

David July 13, 2008 4:34 pm

That some scary stuff.the old haka is a bit more awesome though, but thats just me.

bD July 13, 2008 4:46 pm

yeh don i know its brilliant...i just thought it would be good on this site!!take notice RugbyDump :P......

thedannyclayton July 14, 2008 10:56 am

I respect and understand the Haka but sometimes I get embarrassed by the White guys doing it...it just doesn't seem correct and whereas the Maori descendents looks like they are impassioned the others look like they're a bit peeved.No doubt this post will be slated!

Maci July 14, 2008 7:42 pm

Awesome!But my favorite haka is the one led by Taine Randell against Australia!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xajxjPAg08s

View Video

Brennie July 15, 2008 1:30 am

I dig both hakas but it's getting way too, like, commercial man !!Strict ban on non-all Blacks/drunk all-Blacks doing it

Anonymous July 17, 2008 4:26 am

Ma is white whero is red kakariki green. Pango is black so are you A.E.I.O.UThat's a real haka lol.

Cheyanqu July 25, 2008 6:29 pm

maci,great version of the haka. Taine's voice seems to have fury to it...As for the white boys doing the Haka, Anton Oliver (in your Taine Randell video) seems a great example. Give that clip to Ali Williams...

MacBok September 16, 2008 8:35 am

Love the fact that they did it for the first time against us (bokke), shows that they started respecting us and seeing us as a true rival again. The biggest rivalry in rugby. South African men are born to play against the All Blacks!

Anonymous November 05, 2008 8:37 pm

even as a bok thats legendary

Anonymous November 07, 2008 12:49 pm

awesome. awesome. awesome. i thought it was awesome then and still think it is. even with them dropping to the ground - it sort of builds up suspense. personally i thought umaga did a great jog bringing our the intensity of either the haka or the kapa o pango. i'm not sure which one i prefer - the haka or the kapa o pango - but i did like the kapa o pango with it's throat slitting gesture better.

Anonymous November 13, 2008 9:40 pm

Been a long time since i watched this, but i got to say i still love it. Umaga is perfect, he has the appearance of an ancient warrior who is about to go into a battle.I think this is awesome and im not an all black fan, i am just in awe!Personally i think the throat slitting gesture is intense and i wouldnt have it banned or such. if i was the opposition id know where they could stick it! just a matter of how the teams react! Alot of teams love to shout in the changing rooms, personally its not my thing and i dont get fearful or worried when i hear a team shouting................probably cos i dont have to face any chunks of new zealand running at a significant pace.....

Maximus January 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Awesome.

Rugby History.

After all these years, I still get goose bumps now as I'm watching this.