Lee Jones makes huge trysaving tackle

Ben Flower red card for vicious punches

Hala'ufia crunches then slaps Wilson

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Ludovic Mercier crazy reverse pass

The Human Hurdle Attempt

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Nigel Owens makes not straight comment

All Blacks snatch victory at the death

Friday, October 09, 2009

Leinster's hammering of Munster in the Magners League

Leinster's hammering of Munster in the Magners League

Leinster produced a more than convincing display against arch rivals Munster at the RDS last weekend, beating them 30-0 in this Irish heavyweights Magners League clash.

Yesterday we featured the stamp by prop John Hayes from the same match, but today weve got some highlights up for you after many requests.

The home side embarrassed the star studded reigning Magners League champions as they scored tries through Gordon DArcy, Brian ODriscoll, and Shane Horgan.

Flyhalf Jonny Sexton outshone rival Ronan OGara as he scored 15 points with the boot while putting in another impressive personal display.

Munsters Paul OConnell has since insisted that the defeat will spur his side on for their first Heineken Cup clash, against Northampton Saints this Saturday.

"Everything needs to improve from last weekend. I think if it does, we have a good chance at the weekend.

"I think it will be a big motivation for us having had such a disappointing performance last Saturday. We did none of our basics well and that's the most important thing you do.

"Going away to Northampton and going away to Perpignan are going to be incredibly tough games, so we're going to be concentrating on getting out of our group first and foremost," he added.

The Heineken Cup kicks off tonight, with action all the way across the UK and Europe for the next few months. Well cover everything we can, but be sure to make notes and use our forum for requests. Every bit helps.

Time: 07:58

Anonymous October 09, 2009 6:45 pm

Lucky win ;)

Anonymous October 09, 2009 6:50 pm

2nd woooo
great game

Anonymous October 09, 2009 7:17 pm

just imagine if they had Ross O'carroll-kelly playing too. wuda been 60-0
King Dricoooooooo
Can't knock the rock

alexmclaughlin October 09, 2009 8:32 pm

well this is one of the happiest moments of my life.

themull October 09, 2009 8:53 pm

Good to see big Shane back playing well again....Wonder whether he'll be involved with the national team this season??

Max October 09, 2009 9:02 pm

IS it me, or does D'Arcy look more like a prop these days?

Thom October 09, 2009 9:25 pm

Glad this clip is up. Now I can ask a question here without worrying it's too off-topic...why is it Sexton is pretty much assumed to take over for O'Gara? Don't get me wrong, he's a great player and will only get better, but it makes me wonder that if Ulster were doing as well as Leinster, would Ian Humphreys be getting all this hype?

In a lot of areas, he's just as good and sometimes better than Sexton. In defense and in moving the ball up field, he's what you'd want out of a fly-half. Maybe the only area not on par with Sexton and certainly O'Gara (hell, it's O'Gara's only main strength) is in distance and place kicking. I mean, he's good...he's just not great.

Not living in the green little island of Ireland, I get my rugby news from here and what I see in the matches - so can anyone there tell me if there's any talk about Humphreys moving on to where his brother was a few years back as Ireland's fly-half? Or is it all just Sexton at the moment?

Strong boi October 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Dead serious question, and I would like a reply.

How many times has Ireland beaten the All Blacks?

alf October 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Zero times, Strong Boi (so far, I might add ;) ...you never know! ).

Now let's move on....hopefully that question doesn't lead to people getting all riled up in here and this devolving into petty NH v SH quibbling.

Dave October 09, 2009 11:29 pm

Sexton just doesnt seem dynamic to me, at all. Neither is O'Gara I guess, but maybe Sexton is (with all due respect) the best of a bad bunch?

I haven't seen tooooo much of Humphreys though, so yeah, if someone in the know could answer that question it would be great.

ROG will still be around for a while though I think?

creggs08 October 09, 2009 11:40 pm

ROG i hope will be out this year.

hes got his 6 nations and his lions tour now he can p*ss off back to munster and make all the dogdy decesions he wants down there.

Humphreys is meant to be playing unreal this year. i hope that it is him and sexton in the squad for the internationals this year.

and as well it will get them abit of experience against the bokke, wallabies, and of course fijians and this might break them in abit for world cup 2011......were of course we will dominate as ever;)

Anonymous October 10, 2009 12:13 am

"just imagine if they had Ross O'carroll-kelly playing too. wuda been 60-0"
we all know Ross was too busy gettin his rock n' roll to play in that match

Anonymous October 10, 2009 12:27 am

Reddan, Cian Healy and Sexton really should be getting match time in the autumn and six nations...
Ross O'carroll-kelly legend!!

Soldier of New Zeala October 10, 2009 12:35 am

aye if munster had joe rocks, dan carts, ali williams, richie mccaw and ice toeava they would have beaten leinsta by like 80 points aye cause we are the best nation that plays rugby of all time.

Kearney for tests October 10, 2009 12:35 am

To the questions about Sexton, he is pretty much considered as the only replacement for O'Gara. He's the one that everyone is talking about, and since he plays for a very good team he gets more limelight and more big-game experience. Humphreys is good but he has been very poor at times in the past, and he makes a lot of mistakes and is quite a bad penalty taker and tackler. Sexton has pretty much every individual skill he needs, and most people would agree that he's becoming one of the best outhalfs around, whereas Humphreys is seen as good but no more. Plus there could be politics behind it since David Humphreys was a really anti-Irish person, and I would assume that Ian is the same.
In conclusion, Humphreys really isn't in the running. It goes O'Gara, Sexton, Paddy Wallace, then maybe Humphreys or Keately.

Anonymous October 10, 2009 1:03 am

im sorry but every time i watch POC play he seems like he spends more time complaining to the ref than he does playing rugby

anyways it was a great game to watch and horgan played very well both defensively and offensively

i wish there were highlights of the huge hits in the game, it seemed like there were so many

RogIsTheDevil October 10, 2009 1:23 am

Didnt matter cos they just lost to london irish lol
which leinster player kicked the ball away at the end?

Anonymous October 10, 2009 1:36 am

it was eoin reddan, my guess is he thought they had advantage after the outrageous high tackle right b4 he kicked it so aimlessly away, especially seen as they had looked like it was only a matter of phases b4 they broke london irish's line!

Lorcan October 10, 2009 3:56 am

Another point is that Sexton is young enough to be the proper long term fly half, Humphreys is nearly 28, still not too old but old enough to not be able to learn new tricks.

Anonymous October 10, 2009 9:37 am

yea, it looks like to me too that D'Arcy has got a weight problem...

Anonymous October 10, 2009 10:13 am

sextons guna be 10 on the next lions tour

Flow October 10, 2009 10:55 am

Loooooooove Leinster & BOD !

Rob October 10, 2009 11:10 am

I agree with the anon saying Healy and Sexton should be given a chance but O'Leary is still better than Reddan.

May I just say that it is only October and if any Irish team will win anything this season I think it will still be Munster. They know when to peak (besides last season obviously). I predict "les blues" will fade away after the new year.

Anonymous October 10, 2009 12:39 pm

No way Rob, Leinster have good depth in their squad with quality players ready to go if injuries, suspensions, etc. occur

No.7 October 10, 2009 4:10 pm

I posted a thread on another video but the comments seem to have run away and so i doubt ill get an answer....

so i'l try here....

It is regarding hayes stamp... a lot of people have said that the chap he stamped on was pulling down the maul *illegally* (for some reason i cant seem to spell that word!)

The last i heard was the ELV's and the fact pulling down mauls is now allowed.... (last season) so has something changed? is there now a technique to pull down a maul? or has that law been scrapped?

Anonymous October 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Munster will bounce back and qualify for the heinekin cup final, Leinster wont make it thru their group unless they pull off a dramatic win in London in January. And lets not talk about Ulster.....

Canadian Content October 10, 2009 5:20 pm

1) BOD is a God! Anyone who does not recognize this once in a lifetime sporting genious is a fool. While scoring his try, he ran past a Springbok in DeVilliers, through a Lion in Earls and out paced an Allblack in Howlett(albeit Dougie had too much ground to make up).

Watched the Leinster London Irish match last night, I cannot understand why Leinster didn't feature him more?

Here's a thought... When he finally loses such a significant step that he cannot make an impact in the centers why not make the transition to flyhalf? His distribution is sublime, his defence is impenetrable, his foot is not half bad and his running with ball in hand is world class? I won't be submitting a thesis based on the idea but it is food for thought...

1a) He should have been the Captain for the Lions.

2) Sexton tackled the big London Irish centres quite impressively last night, I doubt the SA replacement would have had some easily for lunch as he did ROG in the 2nd test.

Kearney for tests October 10, 2009 8:12 pm

No. 7 that law has indeed been scrapped. Most of the ELVs are gone now, except for the pass back into your 22 rule, and the 5-metre scrum rule. I hope I'm not leaving out any others.

Bob October 10, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm not so sure O'Leary is all that much better than Reddan. What is it O'Leary can do? He's big, he can box-kick like nobody's business, and he can be aggressive on defense (being as he's rather big for a scrummy), but is there anything else? And does that make up for the fact that he delivers the ball at the pace of a snail?

Munster have great talent both in forwards and in backs, but the backs (esp. the outside backs) don't get used since the ball never gets there.

By the time O'Leary gets the ball out, the defense have already regrouped, had a tea break, and have filed their taxes.

If there was any way to combine Stringer (whose strengths are limited to how fast and to whom he delivers the ball) and O'Leary, then maybe Ireland would have a solid scrum-half. Until then, it's slow ball worked up the field by forwards.

vinniechan October 11, 2009 7:07 am

I really hope that BOD and Darcy will stay in this form for 2011. If Sexton is brought in the Irish squad for the team to gel, Irelan will be a major force to reckon with

Bob October 11, 2009 7:30 am

I'll be the first to eat my words about O'Leary's performance in the Heineken Cup match against the Saints...he did well to get the ball out plus he was fired up in the attack. He made some good takes on the high ball and the try he scored showed he has good awareness on the pitch.

As probably discerned from the last post, I'm generally not a fan of his, but he did well to prove me wrong in this particular match.

Rob October 11, 2009 11:04 am

Bob, Munster beat the scarlets a few weeks ago with a last minute try. The reason they scored that try is because O'Leary fired the ball to the outside backs so fast Hurley had a mismatch against a prop before Llenelli could re-organise their defence so I don't think the point you made a few comments above is accurate.

Also he is faster, stronger and generally has more about him I think. I'm not anti reddan or anything, I just think more can happen with O'Leary playing.

Huh!! the 3rd October 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Don't forget Reddan isn't the fastest operator either. O'Leary has made up a considerable amount of time when you realise most of his rugby has been played on the wing or warming the bench, as Stringer was immoveable, rightly or wrongly, for so long.

I also think Mafi and de Villiers are too different to go together effectively. Mafi seems quieter and less dynamic since shifting out one. He's been subbed in his 3 outside centre games so far. On the plus, he hasn't been sin binned in a few games either.
I hope I'm wrong and they gel. Tipoki and Mafi clicked from minute 1 though. The try they made and scored in their first game together against Glasgow in Sept '07 still gives me shivers.

Great win Leinster, bragging rights for now, but way to F it up against Irish. See, still the same old problem. All together now. Con sis ten cy.

Kearney for tests is going to explode soon if his man isn't picked, so will I for Ireland's sake. I mean what the hell has he to do? Nacewa is picked for his attacking ability and then they don't even use it.