Ludovic Mercier crazy reverse pass

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Female Streaker has no regrets

Just how fast is Carlin Isles?

Why you should always tackle low

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

The Human Hurdle Attempt

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Jamie Cudmore suspended following punch and red card

Jamie Cudmore suspended following punch and red card

Clermont lock Jamie Cudmore has been suspended for 20 days following his part in a scuffle that broke out when they played Perpignan a fortnight ago in the Top 14.

A bruising late tackle took place as the Perpignan player cleared the ball. A bit of pushing and shoving seemed to ensue, before punches were thrown (but not landed) by two players.

The burly Canadian Cudmore was shown the immediate red by referee Christof Berdos, with the man who came running in at him, Robins Watchou, only receiving a yellow.

At first look during the match, it seemed as though it was a strange decision for Cudmore to get red and Watchou yellow, but if you view this clip all the way through, youll see that another angle (post match) reveals that Cudmore in fact struck first.

Yesterday Cudmore was handed his 20 day punishment, meaning he missed their match with Italian side Viadana in the Heineken Cup today.

It's not the first time we've seen Cudmore on the wrong side of the law. In December he was involved in a huge brawl with Munster captain Paul O'Connell, resulting in a 5 week ban.

:: Related Posts ::
Jamie Cudmore suspended after fight with Paul O'Connell
Time: 03:01

Scotsdale October 10, 2009 10:13 pm

Nutter lol

keithxv October 10, 2009 10:39 pm

he's watching too many Hockey fights from back home

Os Lobos October 10, 2009 10:44 pm

Canadian bred brawller, lol

Still, don't quite know what I would do in his place, with a big forward running full throttle at me during a scuffle. Preservation instinc, it seems, like "this bloke is going to hit me, better prevent that"

Eric October 10, 2009 10:55 pm

nice tackle there hehe... I think its a bit harsh, its just a punch...

The Inside Shoulder October 10, 2009 11:07 pm

Cudmore is a thug. in my opinion he needs a long ban at some pont so he can learn a lesson.

tackle was debatable.

punch was a no no.

Alasdair October 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Cudmore is a tool.

Has a hardman chip on his shoulder and is always trying to prove something by swinging cheap shots. I like Canadians but he is not a credit to their nation.

He makes a late no wrap tackle, then punches the seven and then the second row before anyone else even throws a punch. Deserved the red.

And there are definitely some players I know he wouldn't be taking a swing at - like Botha (as observed above).

JJM October 10, 2009 11:33 pm

Cudmore is just an idiot. Utter utter idiot.

Anonymous October 10, 2009 11:43 pm

AGGRO AGGRO MAN lol! i think hes been on the roids!

Anonymous October 10, 2009 11:59 pm

let the ref do his job and hand him a yellow for the tackle. But if you come at me like you want a piece, you get what you want whether you like it or not. I'm not taking a fist to head while standing there looking at you coming at me. Otherwise you can go play tennis, sheila!

realrugby October 11, 2009 1:43 am

No problem here. Late hit (can't really call it a tackle, can you?) punched two guys, you're out. You don't get to play anymore.

Ddel October 11, 2009 2:27 am

Boooyaaa Cuddles!!!!!

Bill October 11, 2009 3:20 am

Yeah fair enough, you can't make a late hit (which wasn't that bad by itself - just mistimed) then just get up and start just punching opposition players that are standing around.
Cudmore's a nut though, he's always been like this. Personally I think it's pretty funny. You've gotta have characters like him and Botha in the game. Lunatics that they are.

Dan October 11, 2009 6:04 am

haha punch first ask questions later

Anonymous October 11, 2009 6:19 am

I do agree with his sending off, but from reading these comments it seems everybody has failed to notice that he was kicked directly after the late hit (which I believe was fine, he was already committed).

If you watch the last bit when it gets zoomed in, even though the quality is low, you can see the Perpignan #7 kick Cudmore when he is getting back onto his feet, and I'm pretty sure I would react in a very similar way had that happened to me during a match.

What I don't think is justifiable is the fight with the Perpignan #5, anybody could, and most people definitely would, back away and just push and pull away from it.

On another note WHAT A RIGHT HOOK!!

Anonymous October 11, 2009 7:10 am

It's not Chabal it's Perez the number 7 of USAP.

sebastian October 11, 2009 8:04 am

tackle was good, the usap guy with no5 should have gotten yellow as well, comes out of nowhere and starts fightin

Axel B October 11, 2009 10:44 am

Plaquage retardement: ok;
1er coup: Prez (usap);
2 coup: Cudmore, voil qui commence frapper l'USAP!

a-non-e-mouse October 11, 2009 11:13 am

Cudmore punching is like wilkinson kicking drop goals......its an obvious and natural event!

John F October 11, 2009 11:36 am

! That tackle was not mis-timed as someone said! Porical had kicked the ball away and Cudmore, as we know, fancies himself as the enforcer, so he decided to smash him anyway. It's so inevitable when Cudmore gets sent off, he is a dirty dirty player and he did infact try to punch two players. No question!

"C'est exactement la meme chose" Zzzzz.....

Anonymous October 11, 2009 11:38 am

seabastian,

actually, the n5 USAP guy was yellow carded as well.

No.7 October 11, 2009 11:53 am

"let the ref do his job and hand him a yell....coming at me. Otherwise you can go play tennis, sheila!" <---- cudmore isn't australian so i doubt he would say sheila....

And as pointed out he was kicked in the backside by the flanker after the tackle....it was a poor tackle but i dunno, in games there really is that grey area where the tackle looks late but the guy tackling was commited etc (same old same old) but then really he should have just left it the referee already blew the whistle he knew he was in the sh*t and he then threw a couple punches!

That USAP lock was chuckling as he went off!

Anonymous October 11, 2009 2:49 pm

Yep, definitely been watching too much NHL.

Anonymous October 11, 2009 6:13 pm

Usually I'd support someone in this situation, but Cudmore is an idiot.

This is the 3rd time in 2 seasons that I've seen a video of him fighting.

Once against Wasps, once against Munster, now here.

And I'm sure he's had fights in games that haven't been televised.

Ban the guy. If he can't learn to control himself he can take up MMA

Anonymous October 11, 2009 7:03 pm

cudmore is a tough Canadian boy

Anonymous October 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Harsh in my eyes. Seen a lot worse just given a yellow. Perhaps his reputation and the poor standard in refereeing in France didn't help.

Canadian Content October 11, 2009 8:52 pm

Cudmore possesses so much ability yet continually chooses to use it to be a useless quote unquote enforcer. The term enforcer originated in hockey and decribes a pugilist who would drop the gloves if someone was taking liberties with a star like Gretzky. Cudmore consistenly does the opposite in initiating brawls. The USAP #5 was the enforcer who stood up for his teammate. Its unfortunate because as a proud Canadian I'd prefer to see some high lights of him playing some good rugby.

Kearney for tests October 11, 2009 10:03 pm

I've said this many a time before, but I'll say it again. Jamie Cudmore is the biggest idiot I've ever seen. He's an average player, so you'd think he would behave himself to stay in the team, but he just fights everyone all the time. 3 red cards now in two years for fighting people? He's an absolute cunt, and it beggers belief that Clermont don't just sack him.

And then after he's sent off he starts shouting at the Perpignan player as if it's that guy's fault? He actually makes me sick.

I'd call it roid rage but he's too weak to have taken steroids. He's the only Canadian player I know, and he's a right wanker. Canadians must be so sad that he's one of the few players that represents them on the big stage in rugby, cos he makes the rest of them look like a bunch of d***heads.

Tommo October 11, 2009 10:40 pm

It's not that bad Kearny for Tests.
Sure he's an idiot, agreed, but he gets suspended when he does this stuff.
It's kind of funny, he's just clearly a nutter.
But it's sometimes good to see a bit of brawling in the game, it makes it interesting.
It'd be a shame if we got rid of characters like this guy and Botha in my opinion.

Lorcan October 12, 2009 3:12 am

he's an oaf

R Jones October 12, 2009 1:31 pm

He really is a complete donkey. Enough said!

Joost October 12, 2009 3:54 pm

That Cudmore is a complete thug... one of those clumsy and little thinking forwards who took up rugby just to prove his strength and bruteness and whose only achievement has been to give people around the world a very wrong impression of what rugbiers are like. Good ban, and I don't know how a good -but always second-Clermont team still have him among his ranks. He should go back to Canada, hide is some woods and fight with the bears.

Anonymous October 12, 2009 4:28 pm

You guys are crazy. He got kicked when he was down by that coward with the long hair, then the lock rushed him like he was going to punch him. Cudmore was just defending himself.

Tanora October 12, 2009 5:40 pm

I nearly feel sorry for Cudmore, he looks like a dullard and seems incapable of learning his lesson. Ban him, then someone sit him down and talk some sense to him.

Also, I don't think he got a kick on the ground.

CanadaMan October 13, 2009 4:17 am

i just wish there were more canadians playing at this level, i also wish cudmore could just put in some massive hits instead of fighting everyone
which unfortunatly won't happen cause hes nuts

semperfimamba October 13, 2009 4:28 pm

Do any of these French teams play any rugga or is it mainly fight and theeeen play a lil ball?

I hardly see any fights in the SH games, seems like they understand the ethos of the game a lil batter?