The Top 5 French Flair moments

England beat Baby Boks in JWC2014 final

Dafydd Howells scores quickest try ever?

Barbarians too good for England XV

Huge hit by Tonga in Pacific Nations Cup

Bloody Florian Fritz returns to play

Closing montage from Heineken Cup final

Toulon do the double with Top 14 win

Carlos Spencer & Stephen Larkham fight

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Leinster outmuscle the Scarlets at the RDS

Leinster outmuscle the Scarlets at the RDS

Leinster once again showed their class yesterday as they scored seven tries on their way to a 39-7 victory over the Scarlets in Round 4 of the Heineken Cup at the RDS.

Three unanswered tries in the first half got them on their way before they secured the bonus point early in the second with a fourth. Rob Kearney, Gordon D'Arcy and Brian O'Driscoll picked up two tries each, with Shane Horgan scoring a nice intercept try.

Coach Michael Cheika praised his side for taking their chances with some excellent finishing.

"I think that we probably took the chances that appeared to us and it made it a bit easier than I thought it would be, because the Scarlets are a pretty dangerous team when they get going."

"We made a few elementary errors early on, gave them some opportunities and we were lucky they didn't take them and then we were able to get our shape together."

Rob Kearney showed that he is human after all as he made more errors than weve seen from him all year (roughly two), namely when he allowed the ball to bounce with let Rhys Priestland run in for Scarlets only try of the non-contest.

Leinster and London Irish now top Pool 6, both with 15 points each.

Time: 05:04

Anonymous December 20, 2009 10:46 pm

Kearney had such an erratic game i really cant tell if he had a good game(two tries,a few great line breaks) or a bad game(for once he couldnt catch the ball,and should have attacked the ball instead of letting it bounce for priestlands try)

Blegh December 20, 2009 10:50 pm

Great performance, but Horgan's pace for his try was very eyecatching!

Anonymous December 21, 2009 1:41 am

^^^

Are you just mad because two of the three best SH teams got put on their asses? Better look next time broski.

Anyway, I forgot how fast Horgan was. I was just talking about his complete lack of pace the other day. His running style makes him look deceptively slow. I was sure he was gunna get caught but he completely outpaced them.

I would have like to see Jackman go all the way as well.

Box December 21, 2009 1:42 am

Quiet No.7! You just wait until this summer... or winter. Now i'm confused.

mise December 21, 2009 1:44 am

excellent performance by leinster.

Reckon Kearney's 2nd was fine cos the ball went from one arm to the other.

Shaggy is really comin into some serious form: maybe he can start to tackle better now too, to complete his game.

Anonymous December 21, 2009 1:54 am

Shaggy again this week like a runaway train
LOL at Darcys first, easiest try he'll ever score?
Bods first - he's got serious power to get through there!
Leinster for 2 in a row...

Anonymous December 21, 2009 2:37 am

Can't wait till the world cup, got a feeling the SH is going to have a really rough time.

ALL NH FINAL, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

Anonymous December 21, 2009 3:18 am

Beating a depleted, tired Springbok team by 7 points means there'll be a NH final? No, you see the NH role in the WC is to act as filler. It'll be SA versus NZ semi final #1, and AU versus random NH nation as the second semi. Then SA versus AU final.

Oh and I heard that some Welsh player is a gay! HAHAHAHHA

Benno December 21, 2009 3:24 am

Who is gay?

John F December 21, 2009 3:30 am

It was Gareth Thomas, the welshman.

Not a big deal, it's been known in Wales for a while I think.

Anonymous, are you still representing the Southern Hemisphere when you laugh at that? If so, well done very brave and mature and intelligent of you.

WelshOsprey December 21, 2009 3:44 am

Things are looking bad for the Scarlets this season. Injuries have hurt them but they lack any real passion at the moment.

Anonymous December 21, 2009 3:55 am

Some terrible soft defense from Scarlets there.

Jon December 21, 2009 3:58 am

England and France are always a threat come World Cup time, and it will be the same this time.
The way the draw is though, England and France are on the same side of the draw and can't be in the final together.
Aus will probably play England and France in the quarters and semis.
One of those three will face either NZ or SA in the final (It'll be almost certainly be a SA vs NZ semi on the other side of the draw).

Leinster for 2 in a December 21, 2009 4:41 am

Fantastic, this has turned into SH v NH v Gays.
I love the internet.
Retards!

Nigel Ownes v Gareth December 21, 2009 6:45 am

i think u mean SH v NH gays. :)

mise December 21, 2009 6:50 am

"Not a big deal, it's been known in Wales for a while I think."

Ummm... how isn't it a big deal? Rugby and queering don't go together.

Phil December 21, 2009 8:49 am

I reckon they do go together, just in an unofficial context. I remember Matt Dawson getting an Australian player on A Question of Sport to talk about some homo-erotic post-match ritual involving George Gregan and a beer glass. So it's actually every male in the SH that is therefore proven to be a homo!

Kearney for tests December 21, 2009 11:58 am

Jeepers I thought Leinster were lucky that Wayne Barnes was the ref. They were flying in off their feet at every ruck, and coming in from the side, and he didn't penalise them at all for it. Incredible!

On the plus side though they were very good aside from the constant infringements.

Mise December 21, 2009 1:56 pm

that mise above is not me: I'd presume anyone who has seen what I've written here woudl know that.

Mise December 21, 2009 2:09 pm

oh and other mise: get a name!

centre_13 December 21, 2009 2:20 pm

As a Leinsterman born and bred....I just came! lol

Mr P December 21, 2009 2:22 pm

I think its time Jamie Heaslip came out of the closet

Huh!! the 3rd December 21, 2009 5:53 pm

When is a 30 point victory considered 'outmuscling'? Perhaps 'Leinster shit all over useless Scarlets' would be more accurate.

Don't get ahead of yourselves Leinstermen, remember how dominant Munster were at this stage last year.

And to the homophobic retards, grow some balls you sad excuse for rugby fans. Rugby is a sport for anyone, colour, creed or sexual preference shouldn't and don't effect a person's ability to play rugby. Gareth Thomas is one of the best rugby players to have played the game, a GS winning captain and most capped Welshman, HCup winning player and a 2 1/2 test Lions captain. He has stood up for his teammates and fellow professionals on numerous occasions before and has now stood up for himself. Congratulations sir.

Anononymous December 21, 2009 6:07 pm

"And to the homophobic retards, grow some balls you sad excuse for rugby fan."

I've got the feeling that it's just the same tool posting multiple times - and even using other peoples' names.

I'd say almost every rugby player is mature enough to not freak out by someone's sexuality (though I wouldn't expect any of the raunchy stories involving ladies to be curtailed at all - and who would want that? Everyone loves a good "so, did you see the size of the chick Mike took home? Plus, she screamed like a farm animal..." story).

Nicky06 December 21, 2009 7:11 pm

As much as I hate to say this, it will take a great team to beat Leinster this year! They have finally got a pack that can compete and I don't think much has to be said about that backline!

miguel December 21, 2009 10:16 pm

what was with the goal kicking? who was playing at ten?

Huh!! the 3rd December 22, 2009 12:23 am

As a fellow gay I stand by Gareth. He is my hero and an inspiration to my people!

Mise December 22, 2009 1:20 am

stand in 10, who did ok with the kicks last weke I think. But man, he was baaad this time!

Played fine, but the kicks were way off.

Shaun Berne is his name (formerly of Bath?)

Huh!! the 3rd December 22, 2009 12:43 pm

That's someone using my name above, and since I'm Irish I can't say that Thomas is 'my people'.

Wanna call me gay, thats fine, my 5 year old self has taken offence, my 25 year old self couldn't give 2 fucks and is here to discuss rugby, and related issues. If one of those issues happens to be the homophobic nature of rugby fans then I'll discuss it.

Huh!! the real 3rd.

Say it fast sounds like I called myself a real turd. Which I am. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to work in the toilet bowl.

Anonymous January 09, 2010 8:40 am