Lee Jones makes huge trysaving tackle

Willem Alberts dancing alone in the gym

De Villiers injury might mean no RWC2015

Vote for the Sky NZ Fans Try of the Year

Brad Barritt happy to put body on line

5 Nominations for IRPA Try of the Year

Great sportsmanship from young 7's man

Nigel Owens makes not straight comment

Francois Hougaard's IRPA Try of the Year

Monday, January 18, 2010

Toulouse show their quality against Harlequins

Toulouse show their quality against Harlequins

Toulouse joined fellow French side Biarritz in the quarter finals of the Heineken Cup as they beat English side Harlequins 33-21 in front of their fans at the Ernest Wallon on Sunday.

The three-time European Cup winners got the bonus point win which means they will top the pool whatever happens next week. The scoreline slightly flattered the visitors, who were 33-7 down with just over five minutes left in the game.

Toulouse were remorseless as they hit their straps, scoring some great tries and showing that theyre a genuine threat once again.

Ugo Monye scored two excellent consolation efforts late in the game for Quins, but it was too little too late as Toulouse romped to victory, much to the delight of Coach Guy Noves.

"We really raised our level of play today," said the coach who has been in charge at Toulouse since 1993.

"We owe nothing to anybody and we deserve to have qualified. We are third in the championship, in the European Cup quarter-finals and despite outside criticism, I think that a lot of other sides would like to be in our position."

"The good start of the second half and the fact that we could get ahead on the scoreboard allowed us free ourselves up and lift the level of our play.

"We saw some really fantastic stuff on the field with four great tries, even if we conceded three, including one at the end when we turned off," he added.

Toulouse travel to Sale this weekend for round six of the tournament.

Time: 09:50
Note: Commentary for this clip is in French

Huh!! the 3rd January 18, 2010 2:09 pm

Try and make a comment before some anon idiot claims 'first'.

Great tries. Looks like 2 French home 1/4 and 2 Irish I'd say. Can't see Munster or Leinster losing and Toulouse will beat Sale

Huh!! the 3rd January 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Is it just me, or does Quins season feel like Karma.

Strong Toulouse = top quality HCup.

ireton January 18, 2010 2:44 pm

that fist try by tolouse looked like a forward pass.... and ugo monya's trys were fanstastic, not a good sign for tolouse that they let them through

Oli January 18, 2010 2:57 pm

Awesome tries, yes there is a forward pass in Toulouse's firts try but there is also one in the first Quins try so that's ok to me.

When they secured the bonus they almost stopped playing, I guess they didn't want to risk an injury or something. Plus the backs runned at 200% all day so they were probably tired.

Still Monye is a freakin machine, I don't look forward to France playing against him in the 6N!

Flooz January 18, 2010 2:57 pm

How pleasant is to watch this type of rugby game.
The 2 sides wanted to play, that's not always the case nowadays..

Forward pass on Quins and Toulouse first tries.Thanks nigel owens..
Toulouse will be as usual a serious countender for the final victory

My 8: Toulouse, Munster, Leinster, Clermont, Biarritz, Ospreys, Stade Francais, Northampton

Quentin January 18, 2010 3:06 pm

Ugo Monye tries are awesome ! Toulouse have a strong team. The quins can be proud !

Ted January 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Ominous from Toulouse and disappointing from Quins - they are a frustrating team to watch, so inconsistent. Agree with the forward pass assessments, especially for Mike Brown's try. Agree with everyone so far actually; good rugby, good tries and good solo performance from Monye.

rodofle January 18, 2010 3:39 pm

Just give it to Monye! That guy is incredible

dezzy January 18, 2010 3:44 pm

amazing tries !!

3/4 centre January 18, 2010 3:46 pm

i'm not supporting one of these two teams but I watch the game and it was a top quality game. Both teams played with the backline very well, and some actions were very long, without fouls and definitely pleasant to watch.
Toulouse is finally back with its game, the one we were used to appreciate, and it's good for us (the french) for the 6 nations.
I like very much the state of mind of the harlequins in this game : they continued to play great rugby whatever was the score, and they were rewarded by two great tries. Ugo Monye is just a great winger.
I think it's a good year for french teams in the heineken cup, with probably 3 or 4 teams in quarterfinals ; it's been a long time that we have such results so I hope the cup will be french this year.

Anonymous January 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Great game for the neutral to watch.

Les Bleus January 18, 2010 4:37 pm

Huh!! the 3rd

Seriously dude, just shut up. I'm sick of the Irish. They brag and brag saying how good they are but when they play the comments arn't justified because they SUCK. They won last year with a lot of foreigners (Leinster) and Munsters fire power in the back line comes from foreigners aswell. Irish arn't that good, and if you have actually been following rugby you will see that Northampton Saints are one of the form teams at the moment (we will see on Friday).

I can't wait for the game this year for Ireland vs All Blacks, bring your fucking cocky unjustifable attitude back down to earth.

Irish + Boks supporters = wankers.

Anyway, the game was good, France looks dangerous for the six nations, good offload by Cedric, Dusatoir and good running from Fritz.

Ugo Monye is quick isn't he? Bloody hell.

AdrianBuccella January 18, 2010 4:45 pm

Fritz, hold your depth!

Was it only me, or did Michalak's pass seem a bit forward, as well?

Ben January 18, 2010 4:59 pm

As well as the mentioned passes, the line out throw in the move that leads to Monye's first try is everything but straight.
But apart from that good tries ;)

Anonymous January 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Les Bleus...

Leinster were full of foreigners last season??? What team were you watching? Rocky Elsom, Chris Whitaker Stan Wright and Isa Nacewa!!! Ye its a team full of foreigners!!!

ToulouseFan January 18, 2010 5:17 pm

"Was it only me, or did Michalak's pass seem a bit forward, as well?"

Not only you cause the ref saw it too as he didn't give the try !

Nice game by Toulouse anyway, still missing inspiration in the back lines compared to the potential through...

Jockstrap January 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Les Bleus

Actually Leinster is one of the teams with the least amount of foreigner's in the HC, this year and last year.

It's not bragging to say that Leinster and Munster might get a home 1/4 final because at the moment that's what looks the most likely to happen. Munster have only been beaten once at home in the History of the HCup and LI lost to the Scarlets yesterday.

geordie January 18, 2010 5:44 pm

toulouse's first try was the biggest forward pass iv ever seen,

for a neutral was a great game to watch, not so much toulouse but brive and toulan i was watching the other day and out of both there starting 15s there was only 8 french players although there rugby is fantastic to watch over time there national team is going to go down hill same with england need a limit of foreign players starting,
RD get the munster treviso game up that was good running rugby,

Anonymous January 18, 2010 5:51 pm

I do the cha cha like a sissy girl, I lika do the cha cha.

3/4 centre January 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Geordie,
You have to know that Brive and Toulon are the two top 14 teams with the most of foreigners in their squad. There are still 70% of french players in the top14 but they are not spread well between the different teams. It's for this reason that a new rule will required at least 60% of french players in the top14 squads from the season 2011/2012.

Anonymous January 18, 2010 6:12 pm

Les Bleus is obviously a massive Idiot! I can't see how you can say that Irish teams suck, considering they won the Grand Slam(Thats going the entire 6 nations undefeated, in case his level of ignorance would prompt that he probably doesn't know that either), the Heineken Cup in 2008 and 2009, the Churchill Cup and the Magners League. Also your comment that Irish and Bok fans are wankers, is absolutely ridiculous, because if you are South African, you will obviously be a South African supporter and thats the same as if you are Irish, which means you are saying the Irish and South Africans are wankers. So next time Les Bleus you decide to go on a completely unsupported rant about something you obviously haven't got a clue about, bare in mind that you are an idiot and nobody will agree with what you are saying!!

jpm January 18, 2010 6:27 pm

The pass for the Toulouse try at 2:30 was about 3 feet forward!

The first Quins try looked suspect as well.

Anonymous January 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi RugbyDump, will you be putting up highlights from the Treviso v Munster game? Some good tries in the first half.

BTW I wonder does anyone have a clip of Nick Mallett getting the ball back from a Munster fan in the crowd in that match? Looked a bit heated on the TV.

Jimminywilickers January 18, 2010 7:27 pm

Les Bleus

What a ridiculous comment, Ireland are one of the best teams in the world at the moment which has been proven. Most of the french league is foreign, im saying this because i presume your a french fan. Come up to one of us Irish fans and say something like that when we beat you in six nation this year, again.

And also to say that Munster and Leinster teams (i support neither of them) are full of foreigners is a joke. Im not sure of the exact rule, but i thnk its a max of nine in the entire squad.

Also, I take pride in the fact that rugby fans differ from others in that we can actually enjoy the company of rival fans and have a bit of banter with them at matches. I think your staining this reputation with the way your talking, and i would like to ask if you would please consider following a different sport.

Lastly, care to comment on l'equipes claim that french players are using enhancing drugs, not really anything to brag about now is it?

Other than that, good match, Monye is immense, great weekend and look forward to some deciders next weekend.

Maximus January 18, 2010 8:02 pm

What drug taking are you alluding to? The only thing I found on L'quipes website is about a (relatively young and unknown) player who took cannabis (Racing Metro Team). Not a single word on rugbyrama.fr, a far more reliable site.
Certainly not a thing to brag about but definitely not a thing serious enough to be pointed out as a typical French tendency.

See? See? Happy? You made me defend Les Bleus's poor comment with this cheap shot.

Thanx for the vid RD. Happy to see Toulouse is back. Monye's a beast. England's wingers for the 6N are: Monye and Banahan? OMG can't wait for it.

Cheis January 18, 2010 8:10 pm

both teams first try looked like a forward pass to me.. but let's say they even eachother out..

FLOOZ January 18, 2010 8:26 pm

Les Bleus,

or u're an absolute idiot or u may didn' understand what Huh the 3rd said..
as u seem to be french (so am i) u should respect irish teams.
as a rugby fan, i don't like the way Munster play but it doesn't mean that i don't respect them.
Ireland and France will be the 2 favorites for this 6 nations

To Jimminy,

i thought irish fans were a bit intelligent and sympathic, u seem to be an exception with ur allusions. Whatever, i will always come back in temple bar chatting with real dubliners and a guinness in my hand... :)

PeaceMan January 18, 2010 10:16 pm

let's shake hands on this.

sebastian January 18, 2010 10:39 pm

some good tries on display here, thx

Kearney for tests January 18, 2010 10:58 pm

FLOOZ don't be fooled by Jiminy. We're all nice people over here I assure you.

And I think that Les Bleus' comment was completely unjustified. I mean Huh the 3rd actually said Toulouse make the competition good, and pointed out a fact about the qualifiers. What's the big problem?

Anyway I'm sorry I missed this match now, it looks like it was very good. Toulouse have been fairly poor lately but it's nice to see that they're back playing some good rugby.

rain mitch January 19, 2010 12:11 am

I can't help but think that Ugo Monye is a pretender. Sure, he can score consolation tries where the defense isn't going at 100% because they know that its the 80th minute and they've already won the game. But he can't finish on the big occasions - Lions tour for example.

Would much rather have some of the pacific islander lads in the super 14 or Bryan Habana. This is coming from an Englishman.

Anonymous January 19, 2010 1:39 am

'Also, I take pride in the fact that rugby fans differ from others in that we can actually enjoy the company of rival fans and have a bit of banter with them at matches. I think your staining this reputation with the way your talking , and i would like to ask if you would please consider following a different sport'

LOL, too late cock fans, sorry bok fans already ruined the rep!

Bokke hero January 19, 2010 2:05 am

Les Bleus, I know you're feeling a little raw and sad after what the Springboks did to your All Blacks (3 nill + the barbarians game) Don't worry, the Springboks will be winning the world cup for a 3rd time in 2011, and when we do I want you to promise me you won't beat your wife again.

Anonymous January 19, 2010 6:48 am

that was an american football game I'm sure of it. did anyone notice how many forward passes were left uncalled?

Anonymous January 19, 2010 9:44 am

How could nigel owens and his assistants not see those forward passes in the game!! They went both ways so neither team can complain! still abit of a joke tho!

Anonymous January 19, 2010 10:03 am

Referee had a shocker! Incredibly frustrating for Quins to concede so many dubious tries.
Toulouse were always going to win but Quins might have come closer.

Gavin January 19, 2010 10:42 am

ROFLMAO at the comments from 'Les Bleus'. He seems to have read the two comments from 'Huh! the 3rd" and decided a) he is Irish b) he is an asshole and therefore c) irish fans are assholes. Can anyone actually see what the hell he is talking about in what Huh actually said?

I think he must be smoking crack or something.

Anyway, I hope there's at least 1 French team in the final in Paris, it will make it a great occasion!

Oli January 19, 2010 12:29 pm

Hell, I hope there are two french teams in the final! That would make it an even bigger occasion!

luxi January 19, 2010 12:51 pm

great tries in a quality game of open and free flowing rugby from both teams !! very enjoyable. :)

Anonymous January 19, 2010 1:13 pm

Great stuff from Ugo especially the second try which showed his class. And also in alot of occasioans I am left wondering what the hell touch judges actually do ? There were atleast 3 blatent forward passes leading to trys from both teams. It seems like they cnt makle there own decisions nowadays!

ToulouseFan January 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Uhhh... I think I don't get you guys. There's a forward pass on both first tries, so okay referee was shitty but that's Owens, we know he is. But at least that's even : 1-1.

"There were atleast 3 blatent forward passes leading to trys from both teams."

Where do you see a third try from a forward pass uncalled ? From Michalak to Poitrenaud in the second half ? I see only this one that could be forward but this one has been called by the ref, that's not a try ! Just in the video cause the action is great stuff !

Anonymous January 19, 2010 6:07 pm

les bleus is a clueless loser....FACT

Anonymous January 20, 2010 4:08 am

Les Bleus
Please try not to discredit real french rugby fans.
You're a fuckin waste
Prends tes affaires, sors et ne reviens plus plizzz
Bokke Fan (or whatever your name is)... same comment but change "French" for "Bok". You're useless.

Still not showing the games in Toluca, Mexico... And still F frustrated about it but I'll find A DAMN PUB IN MEXICO CITY IF IT F EXISTS FOR THE PLAYOFFS!!!
WORD...

thanks to RD and all other (real)fans around the world to share my passion

Huh!! the 3rd January 20, 2010 10:20 pm

Thank you to all for defending my honour. Sniff, sniff, I feel... (sniff) welcome. Blahhhhh.

I didn't go into detail about my points, as I previously stated I wanted to get in before some anon douche claimed 'FIRST'.

My assertion is the fact, that, as it stands Munster and Leinster have the highest points followed by the 2 already qualified French teams, 20, 20, 19 and 18 respectively.

And in defense of my assertion that Munster will beat Northampton, I assure you I'm not taking anything for granted, they are on a great run unbeaten in 10. I actually like watching Northampton. Out of the Premiership, they're the only team I'd continually watch. Great young backs who aren't afraid to run from anywhere, physical pack with one of the most skillful front rows in world rugby. Proud home record and I wish Gerrathy had declared for Ire, he certainly wouldn't be scapegoated for Ire the way Johnson has done him.

Any game I've ever been to, Munster or Ireland, I've always admired scores against my team and applauded great play, be it Clerc's try in the WC where Michalak chipped over the top, or Xavier Rush's great try for Cardiff that featured on here at the start of the season. In fact, for that try the appreciation for Rush's skill and speed drew a great response from the Thomond crowd.

Rugby has exploded in popularity in Ireland, most of that will be positive, but with any success in sport it also attracts scumbags at matches who don't treat the respect genuine fans do.

Tui January 20, 2010 11:05 pm