Japanese player loses ball over tryline

George Pisi hit makes Shane Geraghty ill

Barbarians too good for England XV

Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

Ma'afu banned for punch on Tom Youngs

Bloody Florian Fritz returns to play

Jebb Sinclair red card for leading elbow

Courtney Lawes crunches Charlie Hodgson

Dafydd Howells scores quickest try ever?

Monday, May 17, 2010

Highlights of the Clermont vs Toulon epic Top 14 semi final

Highlights of the Clermont vs Toulon epic Top 14 semi final

The second semi final of the Top 14 proved to be a real thriller as Toulon and Clermont battled it out for over 100 minutes of rugby as they were deadlocked at fulltime of this classic encounter. If youre yet to hear the score, skip to the video to avoid the spoiler.

There was plenty to get excited about in the rugby world this past weekend, with play-off games taking place in the Magners League, Guinness Premiership, and of course the Top 14. The Super 14 down south also provided its usual helping of entertaining rugby, but it was this match that was probably the game of the weekend as it thrilled from start to finish.

Clermont flyhalf Brock James put the past behind him as he played a huge part in Clermont progressing to their fourth successive Top 14 final as they beat Toulon 35-29 after the game was forced into extra time.

Australian James had almost single-handedly lost his side their Heineken Cup quarter final against Leinster recently, but against Toulon he redeemed himself in stunning fashion as he kept a cool head throughout and landed a superb 55m dropgoal in extra time.

"There was a little bit of luck. I practice drop goals, but from 55 metres, no," he said.

There were so many other great performances on each side in what was an enthralling play-off. The tempo of the game, combined with the raw physicality, gave it that classic Test match feel.

These highlights cover whats possible in only ten minutes, but those who saw the game will know it was one of the all time classics. The winners, Clermont, will play Perpignan in the final on May 29 at the Stade de France.

Time: 10:19

Posted at 11:08 am | 84 comments

Anonniemouse May 17, 2010 2:30 pm

What a game!!

Geoff' May 17, 2010 2:32 pm

Loved it!

theboss May 17, 2010 2:42 pm

that was epic stuff! and only the highlights as well!

Anonymous May 17, 2010 2:43 pm

the best rugby game i have never seen !

Chris M May 17, 2010 2:44 pm

i watched this game, easily the best game i have seen in 5 years! It literally had everything, incredible tries, amazing drop goals, huge hits, awesome footraces, lots of controversy. So much drama it was incredible.
I implore anyone who can watch this match in full length to do so, absolutely staggering rugby!

dezzy May 17, 2010 2:45 pm

epic match and great atmosphere!!

Gareth May 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Absolutely great game of rugby, I was on the edge of my seat for the last 40 minutes. Clermont's pack was fantastic and James and Parra were superb in running the game. When Toulon threw it around they looked very dangerous and they really seem to now be able to read Sonny Bill Williams' offloading game (he played very well).

Lets hope the final is as good!

tom May 17, 2010 2:51 pm

iv heard the english guy commentate bfor and he doesnt get anywhere near tht excited usually, it must have been good!

Anonymous May 17, 2010 3:00 pm

Great game, terrible commentating crew, great game

Alain May 17, 2010 3:10 pm

wow amazing.great competition ,great game.. good to see the SA boys playing well. joubert and van niekerk.

Anonymous May 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Speechless absoloutly speechless

Anonymous May 17, 2010 3:17 pm

the tackle by 22 in the last minute of extra time on the toulon winger was epic. i got so excited watching the game and just re watching the highlights gave me a hugh buzz. great stuff got to love the top 14

Anonymous May 17, 2010 3:24 pm

what a drop goal by james. hopefully that will exorcise the memory of his shocker against leinster

Flooz May 17, 2010 3:32 pm

I watched it in a pub.
At the beginning, the boss put the FA cup final(chelsea - portsmouth) on tv. At the half time, he turned on clermont-toulon and refused to come back on the football :)

The ambiance was extraordinary. Even the football fans presents were completly in the match.

In term of rugby, it was a cracking game, a speechless scenario. Maybe one of the best epic matchs of the last 5 or 10 years, and i don't like to give medals...
All credits to toulon players who tried to play against (certainly) the best pack of europe

I really hope that clermont will win the top14, they deserve it. After 4 finals lost, it would be their world cup final vs perpignan.

still under the shock..

Toto! May 17, 2010 3:35 pm

Awesome...
During the game I thought the 1st Clermont Try was not a try. But with these replays ...I am not so sure...It actually seems to be a Real TRY. (And it defintly is because the refree is always right)

Anyway, Epic game and very glad Clermont did it.
The drop goal was monstruous. The 2 tries during extra time fantastic...

Only con to this...the commentators are not that great. I have herd the french one on youtube, they sound great!

Yannoche May 17, 2010 3:40 pm

The Reds still give me shivers, what a team of gladiators! I hope the best for RCT next year!

\o/ Vive Toulon \o/

Et bonne chance Clermont !

Anonymous May 17, 2010 3:48 pm

commentators were shocking, why did he need to shout 24/7?
bloody good game though!

Carlos da Costa May 17, 2010 3:49 pm

my fuckin god what a game! funch rugby at its best. Hope the final is as good as this one.

Anonymous May 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Un. Believable. Thats quite incredible.

Anonymous May 17, 2010 4:11 pm

O-MY-GOD! What an absolutely fukin awesome great match, champagne rugby at its best

Anonymous May 17, 2010 4:27 pm

I've got goosepimples from watching that!

Been shaking in my seat ever since...

Got go walk around for a bit haha

H May 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Verging on the standard of super 14

FrankyH May 17, 2010 4:44 pm

^ please everyone ignore that.. and I'm a super 14 fan.

Sensational game of rugby! Verging on Test level actually. So many star players, so much non-stop action, and bruising clashes. Thumbs up from me

Anonymous May 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Top level for a Top game.

Parra is coming to be a really really nice scrum half, he is so good in defence for the small guy he is.

SBW is coming to be one of the best center in the world, really, he can always offload impressive ! Better than Jauzion in the future ( same style of player, but Jauzion have the experience of Rugby Union ), hope to see him with the All Blacks !

bicool May 17, 2010 4:58 pm

That was a great game for sure. There were all the ingredients, skills, speed, physicality an epic finish and little bit of controversy.

Anonymous May 17, 2010 4:59 pm

Super 14 style, with good scrum, some good defence and with a very good atmosphere in the stadium !

Really nice game, SBW is awesome !

bicool May 17, 2010 5:05 pm

I must admit, I am stunned by Toulon's performance this year. I mean, they have a great squad with world class players but I never anticipated that they could produced such inspired games. They're going to be a real threat in next year Hcup.

bicool May 17, 2010 5:06 pm

And on the commentators, come on guys, they tried to put some passion in their commentary. That was not so bad.

Anonymous May 17, 2010 5:09 pm

I was there. So stressfull.
I'm for Toulon, and felt so sad about the result, but when seeing this Highlights, i can't stop saying myself that it was an amazing game, whatever the result is.

Thank you to our players, and to Clermont's ones.

Go Toulon, lets win against Cardiff.

Frances May 17, 2010 5:31 pm

Brock James banalised Franois Steyn's drop Goal two weeks ago...

Lord Sheep Shagger May 17, 2010 5:32 pm

OH MY GOD! How amateur were those comentators, they need to revise on their pronunciation aswell.

Those guys were just terrible, I'm sure anybody could have done better, they didn't know player names and pronounced Umaga, Umarrga. So amateurish.

You guys can keep Sonny Bill Wililams by the way, he is nothing flash, pretty crap compared to other centres we have.

Anonymous May 17, 2010 5:35 pm

yawn

paulfils May 17, 2010 5:37 pm

awesome, i was moved !
live advertising for rugby union!!
Toulon showed a great spirit! I love you, Toulon!!

Oli May 17, 2010 5:47 pm

French rugby at its fucking best.

I used to hate Toulon because they are a team of mercenaries but now it take it all back. They bring something new to Top 14, hell, to European rugby.

Not a fight during the game either, not a single punch thrown, just 44 unbelievable players.

The best to both teams, Toulon in the Amlin final, and Clermont in the Top 14 Final.

I hope Toulouse win the HC.

Once again, what a fucking year for french rugby at all levels.

Anonymous May 17, 2010 5:57 pm

I want that commentator's job. He is consistently abysmal!

Anonymous May 17, 2010 6:03 pm

I live in Clermont, I saw this game as every habitants of Clermont, and I am proud of my team. There was a lot of suspense and at the end we are in finale for the fourth consecutive time. It is magic.

Anonymous May 17, 2010 6:34 pm

The commentator is crazy lol. Great match, with my Clermont's friends in a bar, we were crazy too.

geoff' May 17, 2010 6:43 pm

At 00:24: Big tackle by Clermont Player..and then he helps the Toulon player to get back on his geet!

Love this!So Rugby spirit...!

Once again, loved it!

Anonymous May 17, 2010 7:14 pm

just for the record: the match has been rated 18,1/20 by the TV watchers. Probably one of the best mark ever (not sure , i have not seen them all, but the average is between 11 and 14)

Anonymous May 17, 2010 7:22 pm

Incredible game, in terms of intensity in the last 20 minutes the only game I've seen to compare is the Wales Scotland game in this years 6 nations.
Awful commentating though.. Wilkinson, the best kicker in test rugby?! Dan Parks, Dan Carter are both far superior

alexis May 17, 2010 8:03 pm

thumbs up for dan parks being better than wilkinson. HAHA you made me laugh.

Anyway. good game but again, toulon is just money money money. WAIT ten years and you will see the result= RUGBY BEING LIKE FOOTBALL/SoCCER.

glad clermont did it. Hope they will win the final.

PEace.

And sbw will never ever have jauzion's talent.
even if he's one of the most talented player on earth. jauzion is jauzion sorry bud.

davy May 17, 2010 8:17 pm

that was some try saving tackle on 98 minutes. incredible stuff!

Anonymous May 17, 2010 8:22 pm

So impressed that I saw it twices! :D

Maximus May 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Bloody awesome. I'm speechless.
Saint-Andr is one hell of a coach, managing to make all these talented but so different players play together.
Thumbs up to both teams and French rugby in general this year.

Anonymous May 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Pfft this is nothing compared to an England Scotland game

Anonymous May 17, 2010 9:39 pm

One of the best rugby game of the year! It was fantastic!

Anonymous May 17, 2010 9:40 pm

One of the best rugby game of the year! It was fantastic!

Anonymous May 17, 2010 9:48 pm

Top 14 = Super 14... I think so nowadays!!

good one May 17, 2010 10:32 pm

They ought to can Robbie Nock and bring in the Alternative Rugby Commentary guy. From what I've heard (which is not a lot, mind you), he's pretty funny AND not clueless the whole match - two things not to be said for the current Eurosport chatter.

super14 May 17, 2010 10:32 pm

Cracking game of rugby.

Those commentators though, lol. One sounds like Bear Grylls

canada May 17, 2010 10:33 pm

Can anyone tell me how the Canadian lock Jamie Cudmore played in this game, and his overall game? As a fellow Canadian I can only catch a handful of Clermont games a year maybe lol so I don't get to see much of the guy. Can anyone shed any light?

I'd have to agree and say its the best game I've never seen aswell.

Anonymous May 17, 2010 11:09 pm

The highlights of that game were amazing. wish i'd watched it live...the commentators were going insane!

Chris Boy May 17, 2010 11:13 pm

that try saving tackle at the end was incredible!

commentary was absolutely the worst i've heard thou.

Anonymous May 17, 2010 11:49 pm

top 14 is the class of European rugby. I'm a fan of southern hemi rugby myself, but the french sides play rugby the right way

mise May 17, 2010 11:56 pm

great stuff - incredible offloading and imagination by Toulon.
Looks like SBW and Contepomi clicked: why hasn't the latter played more, notwithstanding the injuries?

(u-p)rick May 18, 2010 12:00 am

I love the highlights, but F*** me the commentators..shut the f*** up...

"rougerie has been knocked out....he might have lost his conciousness"

Well no shit genius, generally speaking losing your conciousness tends to be along the same lines as knocked the f*** out!!!!

Anyyyyyyway, awesome rugby!!!

Anonymous May 18, 2010 12:08 am

I think it made me shit myself...

3/4 centre May 18, 2010 12:11 am

Canada, Cudmore is as great as past season. He is an awesome warrior, always with his head in a ruck or in an opponent's chest. He is one of the most powerful and physical player of this championship (with Henry Tuilagi and few others).

mise May 18, 2010 12:14 am

those commentators are so funny - they haven't learned, at all, about turn taking in conversation.

But they are funny as fuck to listen to - different voice pitches, accents, pronouncations, bizarre choice of phrases, and all at the same time as each other.

Anonymous May 18, 2010 12:47 am

juan fernandez lobbe the best player

FranceSucks May 18, 2010 2:01 am

I don't have much love for anything French, BUT the Top 14 is the best domestic competition in the WORLD! Great Stuff week in and week out coming out of that comp.

MD May 18, 2010 2:44 am

Sweet Jesus that was amazing, i was yelling at the computer screen watching those highlights!

Good to see the North adopting some proper Rugby. Top French team vs the top Super 14 team (EPIC)

Anonymous May 18, 2010 3:01 am

Best game of the year!! Great tries, lots of action, drama, epic defense from both team, extra time, amazing warriors!! Definitively this game resume why I love rugby so much, thank you Clermont & Toulon!!

Frenchlover May 18, 2010 4:18 am

@ Frenchsuck : lol ^^

I was so pist of to not see this game because the emotions are not the same after.

I agree on the fact that when we see that we can say that it's the best competition

goodNumber10 May 18, 2010 5:16 am

best game of the season in any competition, absolutely amazing, it was like an international.

keithxv May 18, 2010 5:31 am

fan-fucking-tastic

Ned2or3 May 18, 2010 5:52 am

WOW...

Commentator always sucks, usually on his own though. As far as I know the special comments guy either plays or coaches for Racing Metro.

I am thinking of giving Eurosport a tape and asking for his job!! Sonny Boy Williams indeed

vinniechan May 18, 2010 6:50 am

I watched the game until 65th minute and got told to change the light for my mom...
I'm annoyed.

Kenny May 18, 2010 7:16 am

Great game, this doesn't look like a sport that's "dying" as some would claim.
But one bad commentator is enough, two of them shouting at the same time is way too much! The other thing is that they don't actually add anything useful or insightful, just babbling obvious stuff and they're often dead wrong.

Benson May 18, 2010 9:44 am

As annoying as the commentator/s are, I honestly do prefer when there's energy in the commentary box, rather than having a good game being made out to be a snore-fest by commentators that are sipping a cup of tea and sounding like they're uninterested. So in that regard, this was bearable, just a little funny at times that's all. :)

Anonymous May 18, 2010 11:34 am

^^^ energy sure, but this sounds like i am watching the game at someone's house with my two drunk mates screaming their opinions at each other.

captainjim May 18, 2010 11:42 am

worst commentator EVER

topper May 18, 2010 12:11 pm

That was incredible!

luxi May 18, 2010 12:21 pm

good game to watch but its a shame for toulon, as they got a jonny wilkinson penalty kick disallowed (replays clearly show the kick is good-not in these highlights) and clermont's prop try shuda been disallowed because when you look closely, you see the ball touch the ground and just after the arm grounds it : therefore knock-on & no try

parce toulon rouge !
parce toulon noir !
parce toulon rouge et noir !!!
pilou pilou !!!

matty10 May 18, 2010 12:36 pm

super 14 ? na top 14 mate ;)

cheyanqui May 18, 2010 1:28 pm

vinniechan,
your mom owes you at least a pint, or tickets to the final.

cheyanqui May 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Great Great match.

Arguably at the level of the Super 14. However, the Super 14 simply lacks the same passion as this does.

The local rivalry the fans feel is simply miles above Super 14(the players are more & more hired pros than local boys coming up the ranks).
Combined with the relegation / promotion.

This to me has the passion of Currie Cup.

cheyanqui May 18, 2010 1:34 pm

"the players are more & more hired pros than local boys coming up the ranks"

I meant to say that despite the fact the Top 14 has more and more hired guns (vs local boys "making it" onto their local pro team), there is still plenty of passion.

The sense of place (hometown, region) you get with a French Top 14 just isn't there in Super 14.
Maybe it's because the passion in Super 14 lies with the ZA and NZ teams, and those are mergers / amangalmations of the long-standing local provincials.

I didn't even mention the Aussies, because Rugby Union is simply not the passionate sport of the regular "Joe", like it is in Za and NZ.

Anonymous May 18, 2010 3:39 pm

Agree with the earlier comment re Wilkinson! Best kicker in the world! Come on! Once upon a time 7 years ago maybe, but he's lost his kicking consistency along with pretty much everything else in his game! No harm to him, it's shame to see such a gret player lose his touch because of injury, but that's just how it is! I'd have Parks, Carter, Paterson etc take a kick to win a match over Wilkinson any day!

(u-p)rick May 18, 2010 4:34 pm

regarding commentators from anonymous above:

'Its like its a race to see who can say the most obvious thing with the ironic sentiment that this makes one more insightful than the other.'

HAHAHAHAHA HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WITH THAT ONE!!!!

Wessel May 18, 2010 6:54 pm

That first Yellow try was'nt. Red should have won.

Rugby Vila da Moita May 19, 2010 12:25 am

no comments... uff... what a game i think is a epic!!!! it`s RUGBY!!

Canadianscrumhalf May 19, 2010 1:38 pm

I wanted Toulon to win, but in all honesty i was so happy watching that game of rugby!
Quite possibly the best game of Top 14 i've ever watched in my life!

Anonymous June 01, 2010 2:05 am

Haha the commentators are as epic as the match! Awesome!