Biggest punches & worst fights in France

Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

Southland sensational try after big bump

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Carlos Spencer & Stephen Larkham fight

Two casual tryscorers shown up

Toulon do the double with Top 14 win

Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

5 Biggest Hits of the Premiership season

Monday, May 24, 2010

Seven of the best tries from the London Sevens

Seven of the best tries from the London Sevens

The penultimate leg of the IRB Sevens World Series took place in the Twickenham sunshine this past weekend as the London Sevens dished up its usual razzle dazzle and a bucket load of tries. Heres seven of the best, as chosen by the IRB.

Australia won their first title since 2002 as they edged out South Africa 19-14 in the final, turning around a seven point deficit in the process. Captain James Stannard scored a try and kicked two conversions.

Highlights of the final will be up here on RD within the next few days if all goes well, but for now theres this clip that the IRB have thrown together featuring seven of the best, or most interesting, tries of the weekend.

Theres some quality on show with neat passing and gas-men doing their thing out wide. Tries from France, Fiji, Kenya, South Africa, and Australia are on show but the try from Albert Valentin will go down as possibly the most unique finish.

Take a look for yourself, but I can tell you that he puts Breyton Paulses flick flacks in the shade as hes found a new way to give his coach a heart-attack over the tryline.

_____________________________________________________________________________
This post was sponsored by: viagogo
The Barbarians play England this coming weekend, then play Ireland a week later. They'll also take on South Africa in December, so get your tickets now to avoid disappointment. As always, use the discount code VGGDUMP5 when purchasing. Get your Barbarians tickets now

yaD7 May 24, 2010 3:40 pm

first!! wow that feels gooodd. haha anyway great tries

Anonymous May 24, 2010 3:57 pm

WE booed everything the French did all day, but that Valentin try got the day's biggest cheer as well.

The Inside Shoulder May 24, 2010 3:58 pm

I dont remember any of these incidents and i was there all day.

Still not sure who won.

Anonymous May 24, 2010 4:13 pm

what about PORTUGAL?!!! almost beet the wchampions wales!!!

Stubby May 24, 2010 4:16 pm

HEY
Tease us with a picture of lovelies and NOT ONE SECOND OF THAT CLIP had lovelies, unless you happen to be gay, I guess.

Stubby May 24, 2010 4:17 pm

or female

brookster-2 May 24, 2010 4:35 pm

where was the russia try against england? there was a barging run by one of the russian fellas running through and over 3-4 english players

Anonymous May 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Bit disappointed...only the flip was good..

Anonymous May 24, 2010 5:32 pm

This one NZL try (I think it was Kurt Baker) against Fiji should have been included, the one where he rolls over his back somehow placing it just before his knee hits the touchline

French Wine May 24, 2010 5:53 pm

THAT is a celebration!
Happy to see Kenya here... It's always a surprise for me to hear their name in the world of rugby (not being a 7 regular follower).

As for the "lovelies", Stubby, when I look at them carefully, they're moving... oh yeah... they're moving...

Anonymous May 24, 2010 6:57 pm

portugal best upcoming team in world rugby?

excellent french celebration, would love that when being chased into the corner!!

Anarchangel May 24, 2010 7:11 pm

@The Inside Shoulder: Too much time in the beer queues, mate? ;)

Clinomaniac May 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Good compilation though where was the Kenyan try where I think Mwanja paced down the left beating a couple then did a cross field kick for someone to score on the right. That was awesome!

Juggernauter May 24, 2010 9:53 pm

Even though I don't like sevens because tries are pretty boring -two passes and then the "winger" runs across the defender and scores- and because the ball is driven back too often (some players even run backwards), I must say its quite a spectacle. That finish was brilliant.

BODisgod May 24, 2010 10:25 pm

surely theres better tries than that???

Anonymous May 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Did anyone else just burst out laughing at that American referee?

Flooz May 25, 2010 12:23 pm

i prefer when the "7" players play collective. It's often 2 or 3 passes and a big run from a speedster winger.

Anyway good to see that as "7" will be introduces during olympic games of rio (2016?)

Anonymous May 25, 2010 12:36 pm

sevens, truly one of the most boring branches of rugby. Not a single try made me go wow...

Anonymous May 25, 2010 12:39 pm

That's a pretty bad set of "best tries". There were some far better tries on the day.

I mean, how does an easy intercept and then a jog to the tryline with no chasers constitute a great try. I don't really care about the celebration to be honest.

Benson May 25, 2010 1:04 pm

^ you my friend, are a grumpy f*cker.

Tries weren't great, but that celebration was cool. I don't think there's anything boring about sevens though. Try watching it properly for once and you'll see that.

fuo May 25, 2010 3:19 pm

cheerleaders are sign of a degrading mental status

EARugbyFan May 25, 2010 7:32 pm

1 - I think we are taking the whole "Best Of Tries", "Northern Vs Southern hemisphere", "7s vs 15s" etc. thing too seriously.

2 - The clips on RD are ultimately FREE.

While even I agree that there were probably more brilliant tries (Another Fabian Juries try in the same game comes to mind), whinging about it makes you look stupid.

If anything, should you have access to the relevant media, why not take the time to search, compile, edit, transform and upload your favourite tries to prove your point?

These clips do not magically appear on this website. Someone takes time to make it happen. For this I am entirely grateful.

Anonymous May 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Fuo, I agree. I love women. As much as I love rugby (but not quite). But cheerleading pisses me off. I don't find it sexy or entertaining, it's just stupid. And meant for stupid people.

Anonymous May 25, 2010 9:13 pm

Best game of the weekend still not up :(

Clinomaniac May 25, 2010 9:47 pm

I love sevens as it's the only level of rugby where minnows can challenge the big teams and give them a good run for their money. I just wish Japan was in the 7's circuit.

Look at Kenya or Portugal. They play their hearts out and are great entertainers. Where else could Kenya hold New Zealand to a draw? I prefer watching the big 15's world cup games obviously but I don't see how people who love the principles of rugby can call it boring.

Maybe that's just me. It's a great day out and epic value for money. 10.30am till 7.30pm for 10.90, absolute bargain. Just take your own food.

tonyod May 26, 2010 9:00 am

This brand of rugby is a pure and utter bore . It does not represent the gane of rugby and its a bloody joke that its in the Olympics , who are we fooling.Sevens does not globalise the 15 man code.

Compared to other clips this one bored the mims off me

Anonymous May 26, 2010 11:15 am

How does it put Breyton Paulse's backflip to shame Rugbydump? Paulse did his in front of thousands more people with people actually watching it on tv too, no one watches 7s because it's a joke. I don't care for it.

Flinto May 26, 2010 11:32 am

^ *cough* troll *cough*

Tom May 27, 2010 3:41 am

tonyod, just suck it up, ok princess?
You may not like it but it doesn't make you right.
There are actually places like Fiji where they regard sevens as the better form of the game, and that doesn't make them right either, it's just their opinion.

Anonymous May 27, 2010 7:28 pm

ah lads, why all the fighting? any rugby is good rugby in my books, be it union, league or sevens.

Anonymous May 28, 2010 4:04 pm