Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Why you should always tackle low

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

The Top 5 Schoolboy Prodigies

The Human Hurdle Attempt

Female Streaker has no regrets

Ludovic Mercier crazy reverse pass

Just how fast is Carlin Isles?

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Samoa win Edinburgh leg and World Series Sevens title

Samoa win Edinburgh leg and World Series Sevens title

Samoa grabbed their first ever IRB World Series Sevens title on the weekend when they beat England in the semi final of the Edinburgh Sevens. They then went on to beat Australia 41-14 in the final, taking the Edinburgh title as well.

It was the final leg of the series, held in Murrayfield in front of a passionate crowd who got to see a feast of rugby over the two days in Scotlands capital.

The semifinal win over England was a classic, which will be featured here if the interest is high. They won that 15-12 in extra time, meaning they won the title as they couldnt be caught by their closest challengers, New Zealand.

For New Zealand to have won the series, they needed to win the tournament and hope that Samoa got knocked out before the final. This didnt happen, meaning its the first time that the Kiwis have not won a title in two years.

They lost 24-19 to Australia in their semifinal, but couldnt stand up to the might and pace of the Samoans in the final, where star player Mikaele Pesamino scored a hatrick.

"I'm still pretty lost for words. I'm sure they'll be partying back home now and I think they'll party all the way until we get back home," said Samoas coach Stephen Betham.

Time: 05:04

Anonymous June 03, 2010 12:24 pm

first!

Chicken brother June 03, 2010 12:47 pm

41-14 you mean, RD

RD June 03, 2010 1:51 pm

Having one of those days. Thanks

jimmymc1 June 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Pesamino is some athlete. Will he end up in 15s on the wing playing in france?

VictorSoCalRuggger June 03, 2010 4:26 pm

damn islander genetics, i wish i can do that...

FrankyH June 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Not long ago NZ were basically invincible in the Sevens. Then SA managed to topple them, now Samoa. It's great for the sport in all honesty, and the World Sevens Series. Congrats Samoa! :)

Anonymous June 03, 2010 6:15 pm

lets see the semi rd!

MSU Rugger June 03, 2010 6:59 pm

41-14 !! wow thats some domination.

Anonymous June 03, 2010 9:46 pm

talking about manshamed the aussie bad :( ok kiwis too got smashed by the tier 2 nation(somoa) 6 in a row. seems like a new record to me.

Good1Col June 03, 2010 11:08 pm

In true 7's style, I remember none of this game apart from the final score and sitting in the sunshine at Murrayfield dancing to all the songs that played when they scored :D

Anonymous June 04, 2010 12:54 am

Who gives a shit, this is 7s. This isnt proper rugby. Dont post 7s on here again.

granite June 04, 2010 2:20 am

Awesome. Glad that Samoa came away with the title. They certainly deserved to win the final over Australia, and they've been great to watch over the year.

Hi Ho June 04, 2010 3:37 am

Hey Anonymous Dickhead above, I think you have an over-inflated opinion of your significance in this world mate.

So what if you think 7s is shit!!!! There are some people who visit this site that enjoy watching the 7s clips and if you don't, then simply don't watch the clip. To take the time out and post a comment makes you out to be an even bigger clown.

Thanks RD for the work you do. I and most others appreciate it and enjoy most things you post. And if it doesn't interest me then I don't watch it.

It's a free site so it's amazing when people winge about what's on it.

Anonymous June 04, 2010 5:25 am

well said HI HO :)

Hi Ho June 04, 2010 6:27 am

Mate, you're clearly an idiot!

Nowhere in my previous post do I say that I like 7s. The fact is it is irrelevant whether I do or not and, quite frankly, it's even more irrelevant whether you do or not.

The fact is who the hell do you think you are telling RD what they should put on here when it is a site that you contribute no money to..... and other people, and not necessariy me, really enjoy watching 7s highlights.

In fact, I like 15s infinitely more than 7s and rarely look at the 7s clips myself because I don't have much interest. I've only watched the last couple because they have involved Australia.

But if I'm not interested, I simply don't watch the clip. It's pretty bloody simple really mate.

Anonymous June 04, 2010 9:03 am

I'm not your mate. Convict.

Hi Ho June 04, 2010 9:07 am

Don't worry mate, calling someone "mate" doesn't mean you like them. In fact, it often means the opposite...... mate.

Benson June 04, 2010 9:11 am

Anonymous, you're not welcome here with that attitude. Kindly take a walk, then come back when you decide to A: Use a name when posting, and B: Act like a grown up.

If you don't like Sevens it generally means you either can't catch a ball, or you're fat. In either case, no need to knock it just cos you can't do it. Sevens IS part of rugby, whether you like it or not. It's not a different code, like League or AFL, so get over it and realise that the best players in the world of rugby have and still do play sevens.

Anonymous June 04, 2010 9:36 am

No, it means you're trying to buddy up to me to avoid confrontation.

Benson, different sports aren't called "codes". They may be called "codes" in Australia but that's because of your convict ancestry.

7s is like Rugby and netball combined. Sorry, I'm not into that and I refuse to call it rugby.

People that enjoy 7s obviously don't understand the true aspect of rugby. Australians LOVE tries, so I understand why Hi Ho enjoys it. It requires a very small attention span.

With Australians and sports it's always about POINTS POINTS POINTS. The more points being scored the better the game is, apparently.

Benson June 04, 2010 9:48 am

What does this have to do with Australians?! I'm not an Aussie, and in fact Australia generally aren't very good at Sevens traditionally. New Zealand, South Africa, Fiji, England, Samoa.. those are the sides that have dominated over the years. So I don't get what you're on about.

The point I was trying to make, and that you obviously still don't get, is that Sevens isn't OPPOSITION to rugby, it's part of it. It's simply another form of the game. It's no threat to the sport, and it's never claimed to be better either. So why the animosity towards it? Why are you so threatened by it, personally?

Do you think that Jonah Lomu, Bob Skinstad, Andy Powell, Tom Varndell, Fabian Juries, Joe Rokocoko, Brent Russell, Christian Cullen etc etc don't understand the 'true aspect of rugby'? Or wait, were they forced into playing it at the highest level..?

RD June 04, 2010 12:36 pm

I love Sevens, so do millions around the world. Last time I checked I wasn't 'retarded'.

Please keep things respectful or your comments will be removed. Thanks.

Anonymous June 04, 2010 2:08 pm

Isn't 7s just mada an olympic sport? Must be a couple of people liking it then eh...

Anonymous June 04, 2010 2:31 pm

gotta get the england samoa semi final up. the most exciting game of sevens ive ever seen (even if not the highest quality)

Anonymous June 04, 2010 3:41 pm

yes epic 7s cup semifinal RD :)

One day Fiji/Samoa/T June 04, 2010 3:51 pm

RD you must put up the england samoa semi it was the best i've ever seen!