Japanese swallow dive try blooper

Matt Toomua Falcon vs the All Blacks

Visser penalised for preventing lineout

Carlos Spencer & Stephen Larkham fight

Malakai Fekitoa smashes Conrad Smith

Massive try saving hit by Israel No.8

Isa Nacewa tackle on Gareth Owen

Rupeni Caucau try and nice assist

Sebastien Chabal knocks out Marc Giraud

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Midweek Madness - Why you shouldn't celebrate before scoring

Midweek Madness - Why you shouldn't celebrate before scoring

Im sure many of you remember the classic clip of Robbie Fleck being tackled from behind a few years back then coughing up the ball as he was crossing the tryline? Todays Ive got a similar clip for you, from an under 20 league game, where the young flyers celebrations are just a tad bit premature.

Yes its rugby league, the form of the game that some rugby fans arent too fond of. The way this try is butchered though could happen in either code.

Its the U20 Vodaphone Junior Warriors against the U20 South Sydney side in Australia and as Souths chip ahead they knock on for gasman Glen Fish Fisiiahi to collect and race away.

He sprints nearly 80m untouched before his celebration comes to an abrupt end as he is hit from behind, only to cough up the ball and learn the hard way that its probably a good idea to get it down before doing the hand gestures and salutes to the crowd.

Souths scored shortly after that, adding insult to injury, but luckily for the Fish, a late kick at goal won the game for his side, 19-18.

Take a look at the related posts for a few similar fluffs, including the Fleck incident that's mentioned earlier.

Has anything like that ever happened to you?

:: Related Posts ::
Friday Funnies - Dylan Des Fountain butchers a great try
Friday Funnies - Deon Kayser chases down Robbie Fleck
Friday Funnies - Tal Selley shown up by determined Zee Ngwenya
Friday Funnies - Kiss the ball goodbye
Friday Funnies - Will Carling's episode of what happens next

Juan Leguizamon showboating stuffup

Time: 01:05

Posted at 9:26 am | 38 comments

Outside Centre July 28, 2010 10:18 am

First.....get in there!!!!!!!

Nick July 28, 2010 10:23 am

Awesome, isn't there also one where Will Carling butchered a try by trying to be a bit too smart and got carried over the dead ball line.

Third Centre July 28, 2010 10:26 am

I once tried to beat a player while already in the goal area and acidentally stepped out of play. Coach was not impressed...i was only 15 though

Chris M July 28, 2010 10:39 am

hahaha brilliant, yeh something like that happened to me once, I was 17 playing on the wing, got the ball in the middle of the pitch, sidestepped two guys and sprinted to the tryline, kinda stopped for a second, was about to put the ball down and got shoulder barged into touch!
Luckily we won 42-0 though :)

RD July 28, 2010 10:41 am

Nick, spot on, thanks for reminding me. I've added it to the related posts

Anonymous July 28, 2010 11:05 am

hahaha what a tool !!! thats one of my "worst nightmares", obviously you should never celebrate prematurely. haha

Tom July 28, 2010 11:31 am

hahaa. i've done something similar where, on a wet and windy sunday morning, i put the ball down over the 5 meter line and walked off celebrating. i don't remember if we won, my team thought it was completely hilarious.

Troll July 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Rugby union hits are so much better than league, this tackle was pathetic he barely touches the guy. This is why league is shit and union isnt

Greiffel July 28, 2010 12:11 pm

Thanks, Troll. You nailed it

Anonymous July 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Troll is trolling league fans on a rugby union site.
Genius.

Anonymous July 28, 2010 12:32 pm

this going directly to try savers clips!

Matt July 28, 2010 12:55 pm

I play rugby in America, and normally kids won't start playing until highschool. Because of the influence of American Football, I've had the pleasure of, on two occasions, tackling someone who simply ran into the try zone and stood there. It was extremely satisfying!

Anonymous July 28, 2010 1:05 pm

our backs did a great play just outside the 5 and our 13 burst through and was going so fast he went over the deadball line.

edbok July 28, 2010 1:08 pm

There's another one I remember, Juan Leguizamon of London Irish losing the ball in a swallow dive. Not sure if you have that vid...

Not quite in the same genre, but from my playing days, I had a guy dive over the 22 metre line and celebrate. Wish Youtube had been around then.

Oh DEAR! July 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Unlucky just shows you never get to cocky, but it's a good example for players from both codes to never give up on a seemingly lost cause! The leguizamon one was the best well the best worst one :P it's being used in the advert for sky sports at the min. I remember playing at school and the other team's winger got over confident running close to the dead ball to get under the posts and our backrow caught him and to my knowledge there's still a massive dent in the big metal fence just behind the dead ball after 7years or so lol

David July 28, 2010 2:53 pm

There's one a few years back too in the Heineken Cup where Christophe Dominici spills the ball over the line I think.

filipe July 28, 2010 2:54 pm

I just cant stop laughing, this is hilarious but my favourite is this one

edbok July 28, 2010 3:51 pm

Glad you got the Leguizamon cock-up, and gee that one takes some beating.

cp85 July 28, 2010 4:05 pm

Not so much a fail but could well have been: Serevi playing in sevens start's celebrating a little early.

Xavier July 28, 2010 4:12 pm

@ filipe:

Haven't seen that particular clip in a while, but it's hilarious!

There's one from the irb sevens circuit where a player (english one, I believe) is kissing the ball before scoring a try, a guy comes from behind and just as the pom is putting it down, he kicks the ball out of his hands. Best clip ever, and the only possible response to that is: MUPPET!!!

Cheers, RD

mise July 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Tyler July 28, 2010 8:16 pm

and that is why you should dive and slide...

Alex C July 28, 2010 8:50 pm

this year, during a sevens tournament, a oppposing player broke the line around 40 metres, and ran to the try line, i followed, running a solid pace, catching up with him until the 22, but then was too tired to keep it up, but then he started looking around, and i tackled him from behind, literally under the posts, and he knocked it on in the in goal area.

Anonymous July 28, 2010 10:05 pm

When I was about 12 I was playing on a field that was end on end with another field. Ran dead thinking the other fields dead ball line was ours, then was nearly sent off for swearing...

Believer July 28, 2010 11:04 pm

I remember playing a Glasgow district match at U-16 and got the ball just short of the 22 and charged over trying to make the try-line with 3 guys hanging off me.

I realised i wasn't going to get to the try-line and so freed my ball carrying arm to offload to one of my team mates, all of whom for some reason were screaming at me to go to ground instead for some reason.

When i offloaded, the guy i passed to then fell immediately to the ground inexplicably.

That was when i looked back and realised that the line i had thought was the 22 was actually the tryline and i was over it and only needed to touch it down. Lucky for me i didn't make what i thought was the tryline (i.e the dead ball line) and the guy i passed to scored anyway.

The most ironic thing was that shortly before that, the oppositions stand-off, who was one of these big cocky guys, dropped the ball over the tryline under the posts as he tried to pick and place it in the one movement.

Two consecutive cock-ups from each team, but luckily mine was a little less costly and we ended up drawing the match 17-17 if i remember correctly! lol!

Anonymous July 29, 2010 12:03 am

love it, hopefully things like this will keep football aspects out of the game. LOL

Remember Will Carling getting held up over the line years ago.....

Opeta July 29, 2010 12:30 am

Ha ha ha ha ha DUMBASS
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Too much posing:)

Gill July 29, 2010 4:20 am

"They won't catch the flying fish.." .. oh yes they will!

Nicko July 29, 2010 5:39 am

I remember getting the ball from our fb with some space when I was about 19 and beating my opposite player on a nice little run... But then I ran through the in goal and over the dead ball line cuz the lines weren't marked well.

I was shattered, the other teams supporters gave it to me bad. lol!!

Anonymous July 29, 2010 10:15 am

There was also Deon Keyser smoking an over-confident Robbie Fleck from behind... one of my favourite of all times! NicG

Flinto July 29, 2010 10:25 am

^ um yes, that is written in the description, and linked to above.

lol @ Nicko

D0m3 July 30, 2010 9:00 am

"the Dominici one is classic alright: for france, trying to simply place the ball coolly onto the ground with the risky one hand instead of the safer two..and spills it."

He simply hit the ball with his knee. That was so freaking hilarious. Unfortunately it is not on youtube (at least I can find it) but I think it is one of the very worse.

MCM July 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Stupid kiwi.

Anonymous August 03, 2010 1:10 am

stupid leaguey..serves him right

Anonymous September 20, 2010 8:55 pm

Christian Cullen Hurricanes v Waratahs dropping ball over line. RWC 1987 Fiji v France, ball spurts out from arms over touhcline on way to what would have been winning try.

Chchchch Unit September 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Haha! I once tried to score but dived over the 5 meter line thinking it was the try line with no one in front of me. The other team jumped on me and formed a ruck. Shame! It was a final too.

Anonymous October 01, 2010 6:54 pm

we islanders should stop this shit, coz it's getting embarrassing. This is the 2nd or 3rd vid of 1 of our boys getting shamed celebrating early.