Huge hit by Tonga in Pacific Nations Cup

Catch up with Sam Warburton

Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

England beat Baby Boks in JWC2014 final

Monday, August 16, 2010

Robbie Fruean's slingshot tackle against North Harbour

Robbie Fruean's slingshot tackle against North Harbour

Young Canterbury centre Robbie Fruean scored a hat trick of tries against North Harbour on the weekend as his side romped to a 44-22 win in the ITM Cup in Christchurch. Fruean not only scored some nice tries, but he made his physical presence felt.

As everyone knows by now, there is an anxious wait for the grand entrance of league convert Sonny Bill Williams. Williams had a hamstring niggle so he is yet to make his debut in the tournament.

When he comes back, in all likelihood this coming weekend, he will be either joining up with, or replacing, Fruean. It could be Stephen Brett though who may have to make way for what could be the most physically devastating centre pairing prospect the game has seen in some time.

If Fruean continues to show this form though, and lives up to his promise, he may well overshadow the the SBW show this season. Health permitting that is.

Fruean was diagnosed with rheumatic fever two years ago, and a week ago was sidelined after there were concerns that he had an irregular heart beat, or Arrhythmia. At that stage he had a new heart valve attached, enabling him to continue breathing, live a normal life, and incredibly, make a return to rugby.

Sources closer to the team will know more, but at this stage things seem to be steady and when strong, Fruean is a bright young prospect that with or without the Sonny Bill Williams factor, could well be an All Black within a few years.

This tackle was rather comical and if nothing else, showed the power of the guy. It brings back memories of the Gordon Tallis slingshot from a few years back, which you can see in the related posts along with a few others.

:: Related Posts ::
Gordon Tallis' famous slingshot tackle on Brett Hodgson
Midweek Madness - The good old drag tackle
Gavin Quinnell vs Peter Richards in 2006
Time: 0:48

nick August 16, 2010 10:05 pm

ruining "1sts" since 29.09.91

Also, inbefore "tossing" jokes

nick August 16, 2010 10:05 pm

ruining "1sts" since 29.09.91

Also, inbefore "tossing" jokes

nick August 16, 2010 10:13 pm

I see they have changed the name since lol.

Not as impressive as it looks though, just used momentum. still strong however.

nick August 16, 2010 10:13 pm

I see they have changed the name since lol.

Not as impressive as it looks though, just used momentum. still strong however.

Nerk August 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks for posting RD. Brought a smile to this man's face.

Nerk August 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks for posting RD. Brought a smile to this man's face.

falafel August 16, 2010 11:30 pm

nick sounds like a cock (but he's just a teenager, so chalk it up to that).

Thanks for the video, RD - I saw a few big hits that game but I guess that I missed this one completely. Cheers.

falafel August 16, 2010 11:30 pm

nick sounds like a cock (but he's just a teenager, so chalk it up to that).

Jamie August 17, 2010 12:08 am

I reckon Fruean will replace Conrad smith as the AB no.13 after the world cup... He's strong and has a lot of pace to burn. Who's better though, Ranger or Fruean?

Jamie August 17, 2010 12:08 am

Bill August 17, 2010 12:10 am

suprised he wasn;t yellow carded or something, the way the game is going.

Bill August 17, 2010 12:10 am

suprised he wasn;t yellow carded or something, the way the game is going.

Anonymous August 17, 2010 12:18 am

Great 'tackle'/pickup/whatever :) just imagine what that poor bloke was thinking: look mom, no wings. hahaha.

Commentator made a good point though. Sonny Bill and Robbie as 12 and 13?? I would hate to be in the backline against those two.

Anonymous August 17, 2010 12:18 am

Anonymous August 17, 2010 12:19 am

hey nick, why don't you just do one you chief.

Anonymous August 17, 2010 12:19 am

hey nick, why don't you just do one you chief.

Nerk August 17, 2010 12:29 am

Interesting I just noticed while Robbie is throwing the player around osbourne actually dives in and punches the ball clear which allows robbie to get that kick away. That osbourne looks like a promising up and comer too. remember his tackle on Rooney the other week...

Nerk August 17, 2010 12:29 am

Craig August 17, 2010 1:15 am

I'm sad to hear about his health problems, I also hope it doesn't become a large limiting factor.

Looking forward to seeing the Crusaders back line next year.
10 Carter
11 Maitland
12 Williams
13 Fruean
14 Guilford
15 Dagg

I hope Cruden moves to the highlanders, they need a good 10 and he is too good to warm the bench.

Craig August 17, 2010 1:15 am

Looking forward to seeing the Crusaders back line next year.
10 Carter
11 Maitland
12 Williams
13 Fruean
14 Guilford
15 Dagg

International Rugby August 17, 2010 1:30 am

How on earth was that man not sent to the sin bin? He should be serving a lenghty suspension now! I will speak to the referee commitee and Peter de Villiers to clarify this.

International Rugby August 17, 2010 1:30 am

Jeroz August 17, 2010 2:01 am

Craig, with Ripia moving to the Force, I think Cruden will get the no.10 jumper at the Cane

Jeroz August 17, 2010 2:01 am

IRB Referees Commite August 17, 2010 3:14 am

Red card, clearly. He assaulted the other player, as though he had no care at all for his well being.
He should have gently laid him to the ground in a soothing manner.
This is the only acceptable way to tackle in rugby.
On a side issue, we are intentionally ruining the game as a spectator sport, good for us.

IRB Referees Commite August 17, 2010 3:14 am

He should have gently laid him to the ground in a soothing manner.
This is the only acceptable way to tackle in rugby.

Anonymous August 17, 2010 4:49 am

@ IRB Referees Commitee hahahaha well done sir.

Anonymous August 17, 2010 4:49 am

@ IRB Referees Commitee hahahaha well done sir.

Sam August 17, 2010 4:57 am

So sick of these citing commissioner jokes. Really need some new jokes team...

Sam August 17, 2010 4:57 am

So sick of these citing commissioner jokes. Really need some new jokes team...

IRB Referees Commite August 17, 2010 5:02 am

Red card for that comment Sam, you hurt my feelings.
Ten week ban.

IRB Referees Commite August 17, 2010 5:02 am

Red card for that comment Sam, you hurt my feelings.
Ten week ban.

Buzz August 17, 2010 7:13 am

Don't bother with the ban IRB Referees Commitee. I grab Sam by the shorts, spin and throw him ten meters away.
Good funny vid RD. I'm still laughing. (and I'm laughing even more imagining a whole rugby school trying to develop this sort of 'tackling': "by the shorts, boys, and awaaaaay!")

Buzz August 17, 2010 7:13 am

that's what she August 17, 2010 9:19 am

lol,love the way fruean pulls the player out of his own teamates reach!look at supporting crusaders player;just as he commits to the tackle,fruean slings him away,and he(the would-be tackler)hits fresh-air!

that's what she August 17, 2010 9:19 am

Craig August 17, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks Jeroz

you are right Cruden should be a regular starter now that Ripia is moving across the ditch.

What I meant to say was collin slade should move to the highlanders. He is to good to warm the bench

Craig August 17, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks Jeroz

Anonymous August 17, 2010 11:06 am

veggie!

Anonymous August 17, 2010 11:06 am

veggie!

rosh August 17, 2010 6:00 pm

great guy, watched on youtube robbie fruean heart surgery. under 19 player of the year in 2007. one to watch

rosh August 17, 2010 6:00 pm

Anonymous August 17, 2010 10:08 pm

Commentators got it wrong, it was Fruen who chipped it ahead with a very nice weight and bounce. This guy could well be one to watch - will be fun when SBW comes on board!!

Anonymous August 17, 2010 10:08 pm

jimmymc August 18, 2010 8:16 am

DEFINITE RED CARD.

jimmymc August 18, 2010 8:16 am

DEFINITE RED CARD.

NiWiTa August 18, 2010 11:48 am

Lots of good talent coming through the backs for NZ. SBW is a monster but I am not sure how he might fit in...certainly he won't add much through his kicking game in the matches where this might be necessary..

Hopefully get to see him in action soon (without an injury) and be forced to eat my words.

NiWiTa August 18, 2010 11:48 am

Tommy August 19, 2010 4:08 am

Nitwa, Nonu can't kick either, and he's doing just fine.
SBw will be used ina very similar way, except a little less emphasis on breaing tackles (Nonu's main attribute) and a little more on offloading in contact and keeping the ball alive. They will compliment each other very well. Imagine SBW sucking in two or three defenders, getting away an offload, like only he can, to Nonu, who barnstorms over the next defender. It's gonna be a very dangerus combination. There are other players in the team who can handle the kicking duties, and the way NZ is playing, they don't need to kick much anyway.
Also, his defence is extremely good and will add even more steel to NZ.

Tommy August 19, 2010 4:08 am

Nitwa, Nonu can't kick either, and he's doing just fine.
Also, his defence is extremely good and will add even more steel to NZ.

NiWiTa August 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi Tommy - right again on the SBW tackling, running and offloading ability. NZ do look very strong although I think it is important for the team to have a wee bit of hubris in these situations....

I'm probably going to get a lot of abuse for saying this on the site but NZ could have scalped France several times over in the last world cup if their kicking game had been used effectively (and Wayne Barnes less of a bum hole). France managed to smother the running game and NZ lacked Carter/the leadership to pop a drop-goal over and win ugly...

I don't want half my family to be in mourning for when I am over there in 2011!

NiWiTa August 19, 2010 12:41 pm

I don't want half my family to be in mourning for when I am over there in 2011!