Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Why you should always tackle low

The Top 5 Schoolboy Prodigies

Streaker starts mass brawl after tackle

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Female Streaker has no regrets

Monday, September 13, 2010

Aviva Premiership highlights - Round 1 & 2

Aviva Premiership highlights - Round 1 & 2

Todays post is a little different as Id like to draw your attention to something that has been on the site for a while now, but is perhaps underutilised by many of you. I'm talking about the e-player that usually sits on the sidebar, and has the best highlights from matches in the newly branded Aviva Premiership.

Rather than let it sit there untouched, its probably good to experiment with this by posting it as a main post, allowing you the user to catch up on all the matches and give feedback on whether you like this type of format.

Its handy in that you can easily choose exactly which match youre after, then watch a short recap of that particular game. There are also the occasional match previews and competitions, as well as highlights of other goings on if you fiddle with the navigation.

The beauty of this is the speed at which the highlights are up, as today is Monday and all but one of the Premiership games from the weekend are already there. Last weekends matches are also included. If a game is ever missing, just check back as it will be updated soon.

I wont go through each match, but theres a few things worth checking out, namely two incredible tries scored by Wasps against Newcastle. The first came from Tom Vardnell after a missed penalty kick, and the second from some sensational handling after a nice Richard Haughton break.

Also take a look at the red card for George Stowers in the Bath vs London Irish game. He was given a straight red for his high shot on Nick Abendanon, who at the time looked to be knocked out for a brief period of time.

It may look a little different to what you're used to, but if posting the player like this is handy for you, please say so and the same will be done again next week. Also, if there are any particular incidents from the Premiership that you would like featured or shown again, please get in touch.

_____________________________________________________________________________
Promo spot: Barbarians vs South Africa - Twickenham

The Barbarians face the Springboks at Twickenham on December 4th in what should be a highly entertaining clash with a whole host of international players. As a special promotion, if you buy a full price adult ticket before Wednesday (Sep 15th), you will receive access to 25% off through a merchandise voucher code. Get your tickets at ticketmaster by clicking here now

Posted at 7:28 am | 35 comments

Laz September 13, 2010 10:14 am

That Stowers hit was more like a slap in the face! Didn't look incredibly bad but with the way Abendanon went down, it must have been fairly hard. Straight red probably based on that

Nick September 13, 2010 10:45 am

Do remember Abendanon goes down as easily as a premiership footballer, it didn't really look worth of a red.

Useful round up nonetheless.

Anonymous September 13, 2010 11:23 am

Yes, please do post this weekly; i've never been able to find it in the 'sidebar'!!

Phil September 13, 2010 11:30 am

Mostly when I've tried to use it I can't get the video to load. I just have to look at a 'P' and 'loading'.

RD September 13, 2010 11:33 am

@ Phil, working fine now though for you?

NiWiTa September 13, 2010 11:56 am

Like the format RD - I guess if Abendanon was knocked out that the tackler had to at least get sent off although it looked like nothing in the replay.

Bradders September 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Any chance of the sarrie v Sale highlights RD?

RD September 13, 2010 12:35 pm

@ Bradders, yeah as I said up top, whatever is missing now will be updated soon. If not, I'll try organise a separate post for that game.

Chris September 13, 2010 12:36 pm

That tackle wasn't even a penalty, let alone a red card. What are you blokes on?

If anything the ref should be fined and demoted for blatant incompetence.

Bradders September 13, 2010 12:43 pm

It was a high tackle as he conected with his Chin. Yellow possibly but I think the ref overreacted because of the result of the tackle.

Chris September 13, 2010 1:38 pm

Bradders. I can run at you and make you tackle me 'high'.

Abendanons own fault. No malice involved, was an accident on behalf of the tackler. A yellow is still harsh.

Laz September 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Now get off the pc so mum can use it.

Anonymous September 13, 2010 2:55 pm

hate that format, stupid adds on beforehand dont go down well if you have a slow connection.

John F September 13, 2010 2:58 pm

The Rec is such a fantastic setting for rugby. Shame that they can't expand the ground for now. Some clubs struggling for capacity crowds in England and others looking to increase their capacity. In the long run the strongest clubs will only get stronger.

Worst crowd of the season the "6'000" (was it even that?) at the Liberty Stadium for the Ospreys vs Treviso excuse for a match.

rodofle September 13, 2010 5:49 pm

I too don't like this format RD

Phil September 13, 2010 6:09 pm

@RD, working now thanks. :-)

RD September 13, 2010 6:27 pm

Just to clarify, about the video player, it would only be for these Aviva Premiership match highlights.

So rather than have it sitting in the sidebar going unnoticed, once a week I'll post it here and write a little bit about the best stuff to look out for. If its totally unpopular though, sure, we'll scrap that idea completely and not post it again.

Shakir September 13, 2010 7:05 pm

I prefer them youtube embeds than this one. Idk why but I just do. Just an honest opinion.

Anonymous September 13, 2010 7:06 pm

good dickinson prop try

Chris September 13, 2010 7:54 pm

"Chris, you are soooo tough mate. One day when I'm big I want to be as hard and scary as you. :)"

What about anything I said came across an attempt to sound tough, Honestly?

Me September 13, 2010 8:08 pm

I've seen this player before - on other sites as well, I believe. So I'm just trying to get my head around it - is it compiled and put out there by Aviva or someone else or what?

Thanks.

mise September 13, 2010 10:44 pm

The basic problem with this function and its layout is that the commentary is all about matches already played. SO th eintensity of the live moment is completely lost.

However, its handy enough, and 'tidy' (lots of videos, little space taken up) but that past tense ting really makes the english premiership even more boring than it otherwise is!

Of course, another problem is that functions like this may in many ways by the death of RD, as they are pale (and completely compliant with all the various regulations) imitations.

Think Napster, pirate bay etc etc (thou pirate bay obviously has a bit of steel to it)

Still, I suppose it pays the bills

Matthew September 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Posting like this is better - I don't see the player in the sidebar on any of my computers/browsers.

Jono September 14, 2010 12:49 am

Chris was making the point tha ti's not always the defenders fault that a tackle is high.
Sometimes it's the runners fault.
That's a fact.

NiWiTa September 14, 2010 11:26 am

interesting points @mise regarding format - I do like being able to pick individual matches though as am often short for time when browsing the site.

On a seperate note - if you don't like the Guiness Premiership then don't watch it. Afterall it is also boring reading repetative/parrot-like negative comments about "the English premiership" being boring...

Madflyhalf September 14, 2010 4:12 pm

haha Varndell!
A couple of season ago one of my team-mate scored a try after a penalty kick hit both the post and the crossbar!
Then the ball fell into his arm, cause he was the only player (of our team and the other one) to run to the post!

Unfortunately we lost 22-24!

goodNumber10 September 14, 2010 4:28 pm

it works well enough, and i've been using it for a while in teh corner - the only issue with it is it sometimes shows up as region locked wheras the youtube stuff ins't.

Shame the saracens highlights don't show strettles counter attack for the carstens try, it literally came from that, but all we see is the drive over - mesmeric running.

Les Bleus September 14, 2010 6:31 pm

Rugbydump, the new system for the highlights is awesome. Could you try to do this with the NPC / Currie Cup aswell? It is good to be able to choose the games you are interested in seeing.

RD September 14, 2010 6:42 pm

This is an official player, so I can't do the same for the other clips. The best I could do is possibly have a playlist set up for say 3 Currie Cup games, which you could then sift through perhaps.

Dont forget RD isn't solely a highlights website though, so I can't commit to or promise highlights of anything each and every week unfortunately.

Sen September 14, 2010 10:11 pm

The player never worked for me when it was in the sidebar, but it works quite well now.

I say keep going with it if it means we get that much more rugby to watch every week!

Ned2or3 September 15, 2010 3:04 am

This format doesn't work for me. My slow internet speed in Oz means the video is jumpy and impossible to watch. With these (unlike the Youtube embedded vids) I can't replay it after it has played once and then watch like i do with the youtube.

I haven't been able to watch these highlights but would like to.

I also hated it in the sidebar as unless I block access it makes all vids stop.

Ask Aviva if there is another way?? I will quite happily support Aviva (whatever that is) if it gets done

Anonymous September 15, 2010 8:05 am

Aviva=insurance

Anonymous September 15, 2010 8:53 am

RD, I prefer the youtube version. With this new player it won't load the video in Google Reader, so have to load the page separately. Same for watching on iphone. Just a thought. Cheers

btwightman September 15, 2010 11:32 am

I can't for the life of me find the sidebar! I've been searching around since you posted the highlights for it with no luck - am I being really stupid?

Winston September 15, 2010 11:48 pm

Dear Aviva,

Happy to support you, especially if you are sponsoring RD and helping to keep the best rugby site in the world alive. However:

4:3 Aspect Ratio? Do they even make TVs that support that anymore? The whole world has gone 16:9 because its bigger and better, are your developers still in the 90s?

Flash? Seriously, your programmers are way behind. Flash doesn't play on iPhones and iPads and it's been buggy enough on my Safari. HTML5 is the new Flash, since about two years ago. Get up to date at least!