Why you should always tackle low

Southland sensational try after big bump

The Top 5 Schoolboy Prodigies

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Female Streaker has no regrets

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Ollie Phillips shows us why you should always chase a penalty kick

Ollie Phillips shows us why you should always chase a penalty kick

A few years back I posted a video of a great try scored by Stade Francais player Cliff Mytton in the 1998 domestic final against Perpignan where he collected a rebound off the post. Twelve years later, another Stade player has done the same.

In a bitterly cold Saturday in Paris, the Top 14 derby between Stade Francais and Racing Metro was edged 15-13 by hosts Metro at the Stade Yves Du Manoir.

Francois Steyn kicked a long range penalty early on then Jonathan Wisniewski added four penalties to take Metro up to 15 points after ill discipline from the visitors proved costly.

The only try of the game came from Stade Francais though as Ollie Phillips did brilliantly to chase a Julien Dupuy penalty kick that hit the crossbar and popped up perfectly into the waiting hands of the former England Sevens star.

In a strange coincidence the last video we have of this happening in such a fashion was in that 1998 game mentioned above. Then, as on this occasion, it came through some solid graft that often goes unrewarded, but can be so important.

Unfortunately for Phillips his try didnt contribute to the win, but it was a great piece of play nevertheless. "Very disappointed by the result of our game. 15-13 it finished. I think I was the coldest I have ever been on a rugby field," he said afterwards.

Watch this one, then you can view the 1998 Mytton try here .

:: Related Posts ::
Cliff Mytton shows us why you should always chase a penalty kick
Time: 02:01

bergemasco December 08, 2010 3:16 pm

good try

Anonymous December 08, 2010 3:32 pm

Could you get video of another try that fits this category? From 1977, The Lions vs. the All Blacks at Athletic Park in Wellington. Brian Williams attempts a goal from the left hand touch line, it bounces off the posts, and Brad Johnstone grabs it and scores the try.

RD December 08, 2010 3:39 pm

Good call. I just watched that one and you're right, it was similar, except it was actually held up in the wind (looked like a bit of a toe punt) and fell short, then bounced off a Lions player for Johnstone to score. Also a good chase, and the best part being that Johnstone was a prop!

Juggernauter December 08, 2010 3:41 pm

Wow, Ollie Phillips is 28 and he looks like he's 50! The parties going on in the sevens circuit must be the real stuff...

Anyway, good try.
Cheers

Anonymous December 08, 2010 3:51 pm

I have said it before but I'll say it again - I....cannot....stand....this commentator. He is truly abysmal.

He reminds me of Paul Dickenson on the BBC who was the odd job man of sports (as in knew nothing about any of them). One day world's strongest man (generally remarking, surprisingly, how strong, they were).

This clown is the same - he thinks the crossbar is the post, 'try came out of nowhere' (no shit sherlock).

Sorry rant over.

Phil December 08, 2010 3:55 pm

^^ I have to agree. It just never fails to stagger me how terrible his commentary is! He manages to come across as an absolute novice, not what you want from a commentator.

Tyler December 08, 2010 4:04 pm

the try was in 1998, not 1989, 13 years ago, not twenty haha Diego didn't start playing for Stade until 1997

Anonymous December 08, 2010 4:05 pm

The commentary on Eurosport rugby is so poor. I could without a doubt provide better chat than his drivel!

Anonymous December 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Could not agree more, that is some horrendous punditry! Makes Stuart Barnes sound like Bill McLaren in comparison. Truly depressing stuff.

ihatebadcommentaryan December 08, 2010 5:08 pm

Oh and it hits the post and....Ollie Phillips scores....remarkable.

Read that sentence and say it as dully as you possibly can and you can take over the job of this commentator. Horrible. Funny clip though.

james December 08, 2010 5:12 pm

have to agree with all the hate going towards the commentator, really makes sport much less appealing when a dreadful commentator is constantly grinding your gears! I once scored a try just like this too nearly 10 years ago and still people talk of it as a funny moment in sport, never really understood why tho? Just kinds lucky I think, would rather see a barnstorming run and remember that!

jmark December 08, 2010 5:24 pm

Great try - Ian Hunter, an English winger did the same agaibst France in the 90s.

If anyone has that clip - stick it up! As far as I remember he took it before it even hit the ground. Memory might be wrong though

Anonymous December 08, 2010 5:52 pm

Im agreein with the hate campaign to the commentator, he just seems so bored an uninterested in the whole thing. I mean come on, rugby may be tiring in parts such as scrum resets, but in a situation he should at least have a bit more emphasis and umphh in his voice.

Btw this guy thats scored looks ancient 50 plus :S, good try nonetheless

fry December 08, 2010 6:29 pm

The guy's name is Robbie Nock. I don't really know why he's Eurosport's rugby commentator of choice, other than he seems to know French pretty well (though, he still fumbles around when he tries to speak it, just as bad as he does English).

Searching for his name will turn up other similar complaints - he apparently did the Beijing Olympics and some racing stuff as well:

While he may be painfully bland (the humor of it runs out after 10 minutes of trying to watch a match), I'm just glad to get the coverage of Top 14 matches, so I won't complain too loudly...

Greiffel December 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Dyslexia kicking in.. Apologies for that.

Anonymous December 08, 2010 7:58 pm

WORST... COMMENTATOR... EVER...

(u-p)rick December 08, 2010 8:10 pm

....chabal looked pissed at that racing players attempt to just kick the ball or whatever he did....

great effort and was nicely done, right mind got him in the right place at the right time...

RedYeti December 08, 2010 10:02 pm

I've always wondered why I've never ever seen a team attempt a cross-field kick for a winger, from a shot at goal. The other team wouldn't be expecting it at all

Anonymous December 08, 2010 10:02 pm

another similar and very famous try is Roy Begiers against the all blacks for Llanelli on 31 October 1972("the day the pubs ran dry"-Max Boyce). Have you got a copy of that? I'm sure there are many who would like to see it again.

Freddy December 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Complete fluke happened to be a the right place at the right time at the right speed. I wonder what made him sprint downfield. He didn't think his kicker would make it lol.

Masters December 08, 2010 10:27 pm

granite December 09, 2010 12:33 am

To RedYeti,
I think from previous discussions (a similar clip was posted earlier this year?), when you chose a penalty kick, you HAVE to kick at the goal. Same reason you can't kick for touch after you tell the ref you'll take the kick at goal. I guess you could disguise it somehow, but even then I think your chances would be pretty slim of it coming off.

seb December 09, 2010 9:10 am

WORST... COMMENTATOR... EVER...

Anonymous December 09, 2010 9:40 am

haha, stop hating on the commentator, he does his best...

Anonymous December 09, 2010 10:19 am

Apparently, Stade Franais has been training for this kind of event last week. Dupuy obviously did not aim for the post, but there was some instructions from the coachs to the wingers : Arias (#14) is not far away and could also have scored if the bounce would have been in his direction.

Anonymous December 09, 2010 4:13 pm

I wanted to watch the video, but i fell into a coma.
Damn commentators.

Anonymous December 09, 2010 5:11 pm

'Masters said...
Bravo! I'm that wing that chases every penalty kick, and the only one who seems to run at people kicking the conversion. Every so often in pays off!'

Im the kind of second row that looks at the wing on my team charging and thinks 'what a dick'

secondfive December 09, 2010 11:43 pm

Freddy said...Complete fluke happened to be a the right place at the right time at the right speed. I wonder what made him sprint downfield.

It's not a "complete fluke", he is in the right place at the right time because he ran his guts out to get there in case the kick fell short, and he fielded it cleanly to score the try while the defence stood and watched. In other words Phillips was playing better rugby than the others and got his reward.

Anonymous December 10, 2010 12:22 pm