IRB rebrands to World Rugby

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Saracens vs Western Province Highlights

IRB Rankings Update 17 Nov 2014

Friday, February 25, 2011

O2 Inside Line - Episode 8

O2 Inside Line - Episode 8

It's the end of the week so a busy few days of watching rugby are upon us. The big Test everyone is talking about is the England vs France game in the Six Nations. On this week's O2 Inside Line, we catch up with the England camp.

It's not only a match between two in-form sides, but one of the biggest rivalries in Championship rugby as England and France have somewhat of a history. French coach Marc Lievremont also gone out his way to stir things up with some trash talk, specifically of his hatred for England.

The England side are pretty laid back and relaxed though, enjoying their time at Pennyhill Park while they prepare for the big game ahead. This week Austin Healey takes a visit to the impressive Tindall residence to get some of his thoughts.

A playercam is also let loose with James Haskell, which results in the usual banter as Chris Ashton becomes the focus of his attacks. The big flanker is later spotted doing some kind of rehearsal with Danny Care though...

Tomorrow we've got an exclusive interview with former Rugby League international and current England centre, Shontayne Hape. As a bonus, Tom Wood also sat down for a chat.

To get the inside scoop on the squad, as well as fun features, match analysis and up to the minute player interviews with presenters Austin Healey and Abi Griffiths, sign up for alerts and watch O2 Inside Line on RFU TV at O2InsideLine.com

Will P February 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Really getting into these vids. Wasn't sure about the first one but look forward to them each week now.

Jimmy Haskell shouldn't give up the day job!

Cheers RD - smashing stuff!

Jonny Blaze February 25, 2011 2:58 pm

Love it! Great show that just keeps getting better. Bring on the French, they are going down!!!

Anonymous February 25, 2011 4:03 pm

Yeah, we are going to get hammered by the English, that's for sure...well, at least all we can hope for is a good game of rugby.

Otherwise, I don't even need to wish you good luck as you won't need it to crush us. And I also don't need to wish my team good luck for I know good luck is not in a French changing room when going at Twickenham

NateBear February 25, 2011 4:13 pm

"Another thing though: can Ashton stop his diving stuff? that seems quite disrespectful for the other team...I mean, ok, you guys are by far on top of European rugby at the moment, so, why showing off like that?"

Flipje February 25, 2011 4:16 pm

"Lievremont also gone out his way to stir things up with some trash talk, specifically of his hatred for England"

Hatred? I need to improve my French, I thought he said he does not like the English but respect them.....But ok this is le Crunch so it is important to fire up things a bit before the game ;-)

Still, I am preparing myself to see a lot of swan dives and see what is the difference between a team built with 2 year of hard/consistant work vs. none sense/no strategy forward single minded french team (I know just exagerating slightly).

Still allez les Bleus!!!!!

Flipje February 25, 2011 4:18 pm

"This has been done about 3002.13 billion times. Do we really need to start the debate again?"

No please not indeed

I would rather talk about his availabilty all around the field....but if he can have a day off tomorrow I will be happy.

Ps: Medard is out injured :-(

Anonymous February 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Ashton is a great player, I really don't mind if he dives or not to celebrate. Lots of great players did that in the past, and lot more will in the future.

My biggest concern is the lost of Mdard, who is actually one of the best winger in the world. I don't know how we can win this one, maybe a little miracle we are capable of in these dark days...

Coops February 25, 2011 6:12 pm

This is really good stuff by the RFU/02. Even as an English man, it would be good if some of the other home unions could commission stuff like this - be interesting to see what goes on in their camp!

PS Healey is a legend

*Takes cover from thrown objects*

Anonymous February 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Ashton played some games of tugby in his life ans everybody say he's a great player.

Let's wait for 10 more years before saying that.

King February 25, 2011 6:20 pm

Why aree we way ahead of every other european nation?

We've only really been winning games very recently. Italy were poor against us, Australia we rubbish too. We lost to SA and NZ. It was a good win against the Welsh but could have been closer. Yes we are playing very well but I think we need to be tested a bit more before we or others start saying we are way ahead. Lets wait until the end of the six nations and perhaps even beyond that.

septi February 25, 2011 9:10 pm

I thought we had no chance to win England, and now Mdard is out, it's even worse.
It will be a very unpleasant moment to live as a French, like the last game we played against Australia.

Anyway, I still have very tiny little hope I'm wrong...

Sam February 26, 2011 12:41 am

Lol, i did like MJ interview the other day when he said something about...gimme a sec i'll actually get the quote...

Referring to Lievremont's comments:

"I'm glad he's cleared up the Franco-Italian relationship but I think we knew how the Celts feel."

'Jimmy Haskell shouldn't give up the day job!'

F- me, i wish he would, I get tired of seeing that prat on a rugby pitch...

(u-p)rick February 26, 2011 12:52 am

Was it me or did anyone else get the impression Shaw thinks Haskell is a cock? (at least in his little 200 years old segment)

Interesting vid, would be nice to get something similar with the tri-nations lot aswell, or the other 6N teams.

Infact I reckon the French or Italian version could produce some laughs, (if i could speak French or Italian that is..)

Canadian Content February 26, 2011 2:17 am

Haskell is definitely more of an attention seeker than Ashton. He reminds me of a big, loud, obnoxious, frat boy type athlete.

I really don't see the big deal with Ashton's dives, everyone has been doing that for years. Hell, I remember when touching down without leaving your feet was considered cocky.

Healy, I must admit, was pretty funny during this video.

(u-p)rick February 26, 2011 11:32 am

^^^ I think every England supporter is just worried that one day he will get over excited in an important match and drop one as he dives...(whilst secretly hoping he drops it one day)

...and the rest of the world just hopes he drops it in a big important match....

I suppose its more like imagine a world cup scenario because lets face it, ashton is probably going to the world cup, and england is in the quarter finals against someone they dont stand a chance against, then all of a sudden they are through for a try in the 80th minute, this will win them the game, and ashton does his dive whilst someone like habana catches up to just un-nerve him enough to drop it...game over, england go back home and ashton gets his tattoo grated off by MJ who replaces it with 'I told you so!'

Its funny though about Haskell, I too get that impression, but from shaw, i always get the impression he was a likeable guy..I wonder if the likes of haskell etc are the other side to what professionalism has brought into the game.

Guy February 26, 2011 1:05 pm

I was not fond of the swan-dive-thing but now I hope he will do about six more today...just to piss off Haskell who acts like the local school bully, especially towards Ashton (or I just don't recognize sarcasm)

Anonymous February 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Well, for those who understand French the same "inside" vids have been taken last year, that's called "destins mls".

As for the Ashton dives (yeah, I was the 3rd anon comment saying it was disrespectful) I'm just saying...as a French fan, I'd consider that the REAL danger about English backs is more Youngs+Flood than actually Ashton who just finishes good things. And I consider Banahan, Cueto and Foden ahead of Ashton, so its also one of the reasons why I'd say, kepp cool with the football fuss, let's stay humble and remember you wouldn't score taht much if the rest of the team wasn't amazing as they are now.

And, yeah, it's been seen before, but not EVERY time like he does. At least it's not half as annoying as Shane Williams (whom I adore, apart from that) doing this thing with his hand above his eyes, pretending to be looking besides and seeing no-one, like "oh, God, I'm soo fast the other team is nowhere to be seen!"

I'll keep on saying, guys, we (the French) might be a shit team, but even if we might lose by 50 points to 3, (seen the Australian game?) respect us just as well!

Sam February 26, 2011 4:25 pm

^^^ to the french anonymous above. I think the reason you would pick ashton time and time again is due to his support play. if you watch some of his tries (i havent seen them all) there seems to be a trend of 'finishing off' rather than setting up..

In the sens that I make a run i break a tackle then get tackled from behind, without looking i pop the ball up and guess who is there, Chris Ashton.

ofcourse he can run hard and find gaps..but i've yet to see him perform like shane williams in the sense that he will dodge and duck then put someone else through.

But its still early for him and he is a young guy...I'd rather see Ashton swan dive a trillion times over seeing Haskell once more, the guy is such an unlikeable person (which is pretty impressive considering i dont know him!)

Tony Hart March 01, 2011 11:06 am

Being really slow here. Who is the George guy sat with Tom Wood during the Jenga Questions game?