Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Step and unbelievable dummy sets up try

Huge crunching tackle on USA club rugby

Female Streaker has no regrets

Horwill & Bismarck Du Plessis slaps

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Cheslin Kolbe dazzling run, no look pass

Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

Monday, April 04, 2011

Saracens and David Strettle score a great try against Bath

Saracens and David Strettle score a great try against Bath

Saracens made it came away with an impressive 20-9 win over Bath at Vicarage Road yesterday, with the line try coming from some great build up work with the forwards, then a great finish from speedster David Strettle.

Saracens are now eight from eight after the win, while for Bath, its their third successive loss after errors cost them dearly. It was a former Bath player though who stood out with a fine performance, earning him the Man of the Match award.

Its been two years since prop Matt Stevens was suspended following a confession to cocaine usage. Hes now back, and at Saracens, showing the kind of form that could well earn him a world cup call up with England.

"I still have the desire to play for England and I'd love to be with them at the World Cup. During my ban I did consider going back to Bath because I had 10 years there and I owe them a lot. But I also felt I needed a fresh start and I do believe I made the right choice," said Stevens.

Stevens pulled his weight up front, and as you can see with this fantastic try, supplied the one-handed flick pass that sparked a series of quick hands. David Strettle the did the rest, flying through the narrowest of gaps before beating the last man superbly.

Strettle has struggled with a foot injury in recent times, resulting in wing Chris Ashton taking his England opportunities with both hands. The former Harlequins wing is now back to full fitness though, and if all goes well and he manages to score more tries like this, he may well get the opportunity to show his worth on the biggest stage of all, in New Zealand later this year.

View short highlights of Aviva Premiership games on the Eplayer Highlights player to the right. If that's too short for you, PremiershipRugbyTv is a great service that allows you to listen to every match live, watch extended highlights, and even watch full matches on demand.

Time: 03:03

Anonymous April 04, 2011 3:17 pm

awesome try

Von April 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Very nice. Lovely patient build-up drawing the defence out of position. But apart from Farrell and Strettle no-one really seemed to penetrate. Good team effort but needed the touch of magic didn't it.

Anonymous April 04, 2011 3:44 pm

got some serious gas

Anonymous April 04, 2011 3:45 pm

I agree Von - excellent try by Strettle but he was the only one to really show any real penetration (which he did very well). Saracens were lucky not to get pinged for holding on at one point though.

Ali thomas April 04, 2011 3:52 pm

Im still not quite sure why Cueto is ahead of Strettle when strettle has that finishing ability cueato lacks...

Alastair April 04, 2011 3:52 pm

*Cueto

Juggernauter April 04, 2011 3:53 pm

How about that? Nicely done

And if Strettle keeps injury free I think he can really push Ashton for a spot in the wing for England, in my opinion, Ashton is just an over rated lump with loads of potential but who has lots of work to do in order to be a rela impact in the international scene. And those dives...

Strettle has always been a hard worker and I think he deserves to be looked at by Johnson.

gf April 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Just as Austin Healey said, the first person to run from depth at pace rather than stationary runners.. finally!!

NateBear April 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Saracens are normally pretty boring to watch, but that try made a nice change!

Ben April 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Nice patient build up, but as it is mentioned above, most players, the backs too, are happy to stationary bash into the defence. No runners from deep, no angles, just plain straight. I don't know why. I mean it works well in the end, but it made me scratch my head a little.

Russell April 04, 2011 4:10 pm

why would you replace ashton with strettle instead of cueto? cueto does very little wrong however his pace is lacking. He doesn't have the finishing ability anymore. Do you think cueto would have scored that try against australia? no he would not because o'connor and mitchell would have caught him. Ashton is not the finished article but he has a lot more potential than cueto and can only get better where as cueto will only get worse at this stage of his career.

great try by strettle. Hopefully he will stay fit and be involved more in the world cup

fry April 04, 2011 4:14 pm

What's this about Sarries and Dolphins training together?

As far as I knew, NFL is still in the midst of the lockout and players aren't "training" on the training grounds right now...

I'm curious to see if the Saracens do anything other than relax on the beach (not that there's anything wrong with that).

edbok April 04, 2011 4:18 pm

"If Strettle stays injury free" has been the story of his career, unfortunately. But he's got serious wheels, and I'm sure he will be in the RWC squad if he stays fit.

Barring a front-row crisis, I doubt Matt Stevens will be selected. I hope he will get a second chance some time in the future, and I will be very pleased for him if he does, but I feel this next world cup has come a year too soon.

Anonymous April 04, 2011 4:21 pm

Only piece of attacking play from Saffies all year? ;)

Anonymous April 04, 2011 9:24 pm

as a welshman i would be far more worried seeing strettle on the wing than cueto. He's a very silky runner and a better footballer than Cueto. Having said that I think it was a bad move when he moved from quins-should have gone to a more attack oriantated team than sarries then he could really show his counter attacking ability.

Chris Boy April 04, 2011 9:51 pm

he is one of a number of wingers i'd pick over cueto for england.

Canadian Content April 05, 2011 12:10 am

Had to be a satisfying flick of a pass by Stevens, nice piece of ball handling for the big man, against his former club after an undeserved long suspension from rugby (cocaine is an addiction and disease, not a moral problem). Well done to him!

Maddernhead April 05, 2011 12:40 am

Good try, its a shame we don't see more running from depth in the NH, SH teams seem to do it all the time, which makes the D look ordinary, but it does create spectacular running rugby. SH teams like the Crusaders play nearly 80% of the game like this, the forwards setting a good platform and getting quick ball to the backs, conditions are no real excuse, unless its absolutely awful. Please more of this style of play...you know you can :)

Anonymous April 05, 2011 1:12 am

Strettle has been one of the most exciting wings in England for the past few years. A poor man's Simpson-Daniel, if you like.

Thing is, his defence is shite. The man to replace Cueto after the world cup has to be Topsy Ojo - quick, elusive, creative, and solid defensively.

Matthew April 05, 2011 5:37 am

Not bad. ITV went for Ashton's against Sale as being the Aviva Premiership's try of the week, mind. And Reihana's from the same game looked pretty tidy too!

Anonymous April 05, 2011 7:30 am

boring one out attack the whole time... they retained the ball well, but if they could be more creative maybe they wouldn't need to. That was the purest form of individual try

Anonymous April 05, 2011 7:31 am

Nick April 05, 2011 9:28 am

I think Stevens is worth considering for the world cup. The reality is Sheridan (if he goes) will probably get injured at some point and Stevens is a decent scrummager and good with ball in hand, I reckon he's a one of the better English ball carrying props.

The angle Strettle took on that made it look easy.

Anonymous April 05, 2011 10:57 am

Saracens have been lacking a 10 this season. Young Farrell is learning but Hodgson should fill the very large gap caused by Glen Jacksons retirement

Bill April 06, 2011 2:55 am

Anyone notice that the majority of the time the ball doesn't get more then a few metres (and usually only one pass) from the ruck on every play?
Why is the attack so limited?

Anonymous April 06, 2011 8:53 am

I agree stevens over sheridan any day.

I'd also go for ashton and Strettle, wingers that any side has to mark. Cueto is clearly there for his defensive ability, we need to move forward.

I'd also start Manu ahead of Banahan at 13. And perhaps a certain Waldrum should be capped?!?!?

Anonymous April 06, 2011 8:55 am

Bill - they are attempting to suck in the defence towards the blind side to then create space for a strike runner, although they are not gaining yards they are disrupting the Bath line. worked to!

Anonymous April 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Standard of rugby then was rubbish. All it took was someone to hit on the ball from depth. 15 phases of crap before Strettle showed some brains