James Haskell's wasp related banter

Catch up with MND sufferering Bok legend

George Pisi hit makes Shane Geraghty ill

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Ben Tameifuna banned for pushing referee

Horwill & Bismarck Du Plessis slaps

Biggest Hits in World Rugby in August

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Monday, April 25, 2011

Delon Armitage's sneaky punch on Stephen Myler

Delon Armitage's sneaky punch on Stephen Myler

Delon Armitage appears to have let himself down again with another misdemeanour that will more than likely result in him spending more time out of the game. It took place during Northampton Saints' 26-20 win over London Irish.

Armitage missed England's Six Nations following an altercation with a doping officer that led to a eight week suspension. Against Northampton Saints this past weekend, the former England fullback looked to have swung a fist at flyhalf Stephen Myler, catching him in the face.

It was late in the game and it's hard to know what prompted it, other than possible frustration, but it wasn't picked up by the ref or touchjudge, and even the commentators missed it. The tv cameras didn't though, as it was clear to see for those watching at home.

If he is cited and suspended, the chances are that it could range from the low-end offence punishment of two weeks, right up to eight weeks for a top-end offence. His disciplinary record won't do him any favours though, so you'd think even a low-end offence might be hiked up.

At this stage it's unclear if he will actually even be cited or not, but many of you pointed this out as something you'd like highlighted and shown again, so here it is. What's your take on it?

Update 03/05/2011: Armitage has now been suspended for three weeks.

Time: 01:00

Posted at 11:54 am | 62 comments

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

Anonymous April 25, 2011 10:46 am

Looks conclusive to me. Silly

Anonymous April 25, 2011 10:47 am

surely he'll get cited for that. really stupid

SamChit April 25, 2011 10:48 am

think he should get punished, its not like he has got a chance of making it back into the England squad with Ben Foden, Mike Brown and Nick Abendanon light years ahead of him!

Rob April 25, 2011 10:49 am

It seems like he doesn't want to play for England.

jay April 25, 2011 10:51 am

hehe reminds me of Ben Cohen doing the same to Clerc in the 6N a few years back and no one ever said anything... even though tv spotted it really well.

Mike April 25, 2011 10:55 am

Cowardly. That's got to be a citing, surely?

Anonymous April 25, 2011 10:55 am

what an absolute maggot.

Tony Hart April 25, 2011 11:03 am

Delon Armitage has turned into a petulant little brat. I'm no cage brawler but I'd happily have a stand-up fight with the guy. Knowing his style, he'd run away at the very notion of a fair fight. The guy has the attitude of a playground bully. All talk and no follow-through.

Pathetic.

Dom April 25, 2011 11:07 am

Fair Play to the guy!
Take out the play maker and a team falls apart. Just part of the game!

Von April 25, 2011 11:07 am

Tony Hart please shit the fuck up you little e-warrior.

Armitage, what a little scumbag. But did anyone else see the Northampton player elbow the LI player in the face (I don't know the player names, just it was a Northampton forward.).

Anonymous April 25, 2011 11:09 am

Fair play to Stephen Myler though, the phase or two after that he rips the ball off Topsy Ojo (I think) to win possession and effectively secure the game for northampton. Best response to that kind of cheap shot.

Anonymous April 25, 2011 11:13 am

Rugby players throw cheap shots all the time, get off your high horses. Half the stuff that goes on, you don't even see.

As was mentioned earlier, take out the playmaker and you're laughing. And Foden is the man with the shirt but Brown and Abendanon are not test match quality and this has been proven time and time again.

Anonymous April 25, 2011 11:14 am

got him with his knuckles as well. that would sting.

Gareth April 25, 2011 11:18 am

Considering how the RFU judged Foden and Cueto cases, i think he won't take too much. wasn't he already involved in a brawl with a doping-control officer?
Despite of that, i don't think armitage is in the little papers of Johnno. as said before, Abendanon, Ojo or Strettle seem to be first choices.

Let see the sanction of our dear "god save the RFU" before quick conclusions

Anonymous April 25, 2011 11:23 am

It was a very niggly match, and I'm sure there was a lot of this going on. That said, if he gets a ban it'll be deserved - his own fault for getting caught.

This doesn't really aid his reputation, which is getting marred alot.

However, some England fans need to start watching rugby and stop judging people based on highlights reels or opinions they read in the media.

Nick Abendanon is a glorious attacking fullback, but his defence is and always has been suspect. Mike Brown is a fine premiership fullback, but lacks some cutting edge in attack. Delon has both good defensive and good attacking qualities, and a far better kicking game than both of the above. So he may well be a twat, but he is a better all-round rugby player.

And it's interesting that the same people who talk about Brown and Abendanon never mention Alex Goode, presumably because Saracens rarely get any mention from Sky Sports unless its something to do with South Africans or Brendan Venter.

Lil-Chris April 25, 2011 11:39 am

Your competing for a play-off place, their 10 who is having a good day with the boot is right infront of you, your winger (who had blew a clear 5 pointer a few minutes earlier) is dragged out by said 10. So Delon popped him in the face, Myler took no retaliation but wins the game. Issue?

Anyone who hasn't been punched to a bloody pulp on a field hasn't played well enough, particularly half backs. When I plied my trade at 10 instead of 9 for a few seasons I wore punches and very late tackles and a badge of honour. Didn't retaliate just kept on, like Myler did.

It's a rough game "If you can't take a punch, get off the pitch."

I may sound laissez-faire, but Armitage is about 4th in line to the national 15 shirt, Myler about 5th to the 10, it's the end of the season so who gives a fuck?

Mark April 25, 2011 11:40 am

Oh right, because it's not like Stuart Barnes creams himself whenever Alex Goode touches the ball during a Saracens game? Please, Saracens get as much mention by sky sports as any other premiership team.
On the video I agree this was stupid by Delon, but lets be honest most of the forwards on each team will have done something similar during the game, Delon just got picked up by the cameras!

Lil-Chris April 25, 2011 11:50 am

Before I get called names:

Stamping: only hurts people, fingers excluded this is always wrong

Gouging: deplorable. All incidents should be incestigated by citation officer.

Punching: if ref(s) sees the incident: red card for first, yellow for retaliation for the two involved. If missed by the ref it is let go, repeat offenders then just get extra vigilance from refs.

Didn't want to sound like I applaud violance, just natire of the game.

New Kids Turbo April 25, 2011 11:52 am

what should happen to armitage for this sneaky thing?
beat this mongo guy

Flipje April 25, 2011 12:03 pm

He might be cited but we are too closed to the WC for any real substantial ban.

3 weeks at most. A chip shot but not nasty it seems.

Anonymous April 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Seems pretty weak to do. Armitage would have cried his way to full time if it had been reversed. Real footballer behavior I agree with the above though, 3 weeks at most

David Haye aka the H April 25, 2011 12:23 pm

Good strike to be fair

Anonymous April 25, 2011 12:24 pm

thats just a standard cheap shot, that he knew he could get away with, loads of players do it.
i myself have been smacked in the face on many occasions when taking the ball into contact or in a ruck,

its just part of the game.

Matt April 25, 2011 12:29 pm

it's part of the game but is undeniably thick, surely he realises there are going to be cameras on him and he has zero cover. If you are going to throw a punch get in a ruck and go crazy don't do it, straight in front of a camera with no clear reason..

Anonymous April 25, 2011 12:48 pm

absolute scumbag

Peter April 25, 2011 1:00 pm

No place for that in rugby. Mylers done nothing to him at all. Pathetic.

Anonymous April 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Absolute Twunt!

Anonymous April 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Von possibly the most hypocritical thing I have ever read, you must be pretty fucking hard too

DEO April 25, 2011 1:22 pm

what a cunt

Canadian content April 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Part of the game? Bullshit, if it is this is part of the game we need to get rid of it. Hitting a player in the face while he is defenseless is a cowardly and extremely dangerous act that has no place in rugby.

Myler came off alright here on this occasion. But it could have been much worse (broken jaw, orbital, concussion, etc...). And for what? People have to remember this is a game and not war or even a street fight.

Hope he gets a good long suspension. Armitage has said he was an angry bully as a kid, shocker. Luckily his brother preserves the family pride with his stellar play.

Anonymous April 25, 2011 2:02 pm

There's nobody at the game!

ProfofDarkArts April 25, 2011 2:03 pm

No big deal. Maybe Myler had it coming? I don't care what you guys say, sometimes players deserve to be punched in the face. I know I do! It's not the end of the world.

Steve, do what every rugby player has done since it began: have your forwards sort him out.

Peter R April 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Lol, whoever it was telling us rugby is full of cheap shots... As a second row, I'd be inclined to agree, rucks and mails always have little things going on, never thought of punching a bloke in the face like that... And the difference is I (we) rarely get caught.... However the day you do get caught don't start saying 'well last week John farted on that guys head etcetera!' take it on the chin and say, Yeup that was me being stupid.....

Anonymous April 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Armitage is one of the dirtiest players in the Premiership. In my opinion he shouldn't play for England as he sets a bad example. First assaulting the doping officer, and various other infractions. They guy doesnt help himself. He is massively overrated, probably due to his ethnicity. Much better full backs that England can call upon, and I hope to God he isnt in the WC Squad!

stirling April 25, 2011 2:39 pm

@ anon above

What???

yes amitage has let himself down recently with the doping officer incident, and now this, but can you mention the other 'various other infractions' he has been involved in?

and to play the ethnicity card? you've had a shocker

I'm not even a fan of armitage,I think he does offer good attacking and kicking game but his man on man defence is woefull.

Barry Garlow April 25, 2011 3:12 pm

No one has mentioned what Delon is doing with his other hand?

could be that he was reaching around trying to get hold of Mylers man meat?

Maybe Delon was trying to punch him into submission, ready for the deep penetration he so clearly wants?

just a thought.

themull April 25, 2011 3:12 pm

I would give him four weeks just because it was such a low,cowardly and completely and utterly needless action....The man was tackled out of bounds, nothing dirty and then you go and throw a punch...You run the risk of seriously injuring somebody when you swing at him when they have no chance of defending themselves...

Unless there was something done earier in the game which warranted "payback" as it were...

I've nor problem with guys throwing down so long as both guys no whats happening and it's not just a cheap shot like this one

Von April 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Anonymous, at April 25, 2011 3:21 PM

When I start saying I'd be able to fight and make a player run away from me, then you can call me a hypocrite.

For all the people saying this is part of the game, no it isn't. Big hits, hard rucking and try saving tackles are part of the game. A head to head fight is even part of the game, but punching a defenseless player, unprovoked, in the face on the ground is pathetic. It is how a coward acts. Not a rugby player.

Peter R April 25, 2011 4:10 pm

In addition to the comment i left before, i do think its overhyped...

I mean yeh he popped him in the head but im not one for these 'red card for a punch' things...

I mean I look at the cudmore and o'connell fight a while back and part of me thinks, just give them both a yellow or cudmore a yellow and o'connell nothing...

Well maybe....

I just think that players get into scraps and if you look at all the punches thrown its rare if a decent one connects, or at least does anything if it does connect...

i think sending armitage off for the game for this would have been pathetic...it was a brain fart and sure give him a yellow considering the fact it was a cheap shot, but im tired of red cards for scraps...

Look at french rugby, V.Matfield stated he needed to improve his boxing skills when he went there.. i just think punching is not part of the game but to red card someone is just tiresome... leave that for spears and gouges...

Von April 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Von said...

Anonymous, at April 25, 2011 3:21 PM

April 25, 2011 6:00 PM

I'm the only Von in the village!! What's all this then? Pinching people's posting names are we? Fortunately I agree with what this "Von" has said though!

Anonymous April 25, 2011 6:18 pm

He's just punched himself out of the England squad for good. I won't miss him.

Anonymous April 25, 2011 6:40 pm

Armitage is a horrible little sod. hope he never plays for England again. can't tackle or pass and is an arrogant to553r. love to see him banned, but doubt it'll happen

Lukejohn1989 April 25, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm a saints fan so of course I'm miffed. Theres just no need for it, it's pathetic. The only thing I can think of is that earlier in the game I think myler pulled back on armitage as he was running to support someone. Fair play tackle them so hard they cant breathe for a minute or do the same back, why not even score a try and rub mylers nose in it, but punching someone in the face when they arnt looking, well just shows your not a good enough rugby player to get your own back legally! I take the opinion that at times, rugby is a game won and lost on who cheats the best, but things like punching, stamping, gouging well there's just no need.

FormerlyVon April 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Sorry. Didn't know the name was taken. Will change.

Auckblues22 April 25, 2011 7:30 pm

I would be really worried about how this would effect England's squad...if he was any good. Irish wont make the play offs and he wont make the England squad, no need for concern really. As for those complaining, go and play a lower level men's game and you will be in for a real treat!

I hate ppl who write April 25, 2011 8:19 pm

I don't agree that this sort of cowardly cheapshot is part of the game. Punches get thrown but usually it's a result of hard rucking or following through on tackles after a pass is thrown etc. This was just silly, that said I don't think anything more than a 1 match ban is warranted. As for his England chances, well frankly I just don't think he's up to the challenge as a player, all discipline aside.

Chief Financial Sham April 25, 2011 8:36 pm

And ? this happens in rugby all the time man get over it.

Anonymous April 25, 2011 9:16 pm

i have to agree with some of the other sentiments that this is the game of rugby and so you deal with it. curious if this was in retalition for something done to armitage or someone else though? in any case id have more respect for him if he just crushed the guy in a ruck or tackle. it is a bit of a cheap shot.

Peter R April 25, 2011 9:22 pm

chief ^ i think the point is yes it does happen all the time, but its against the rules so if it goes unpunished (penalty or yellow) in the game but gets picked up by camera should it be cited...

Im all for the niggly bits in a game except i can raise my hand and take the punishment on the chin when it comes to it if its my fault...i wont hide behind a 'yeh but it always happens' faade...

Colombes April 25, 2011 9:37 pm

Seem that there is a "moron" syndrom with english backs? ;) Foden punching taximan, cueto eyegouging but "forgiven" by a friend, armitage pushing 1 rfu officer, Ashton with bobo... Wtf of them!? They have some talent to show, more than these fool moments.

Armitage acted cowardly, maybe 2 weeks would be coherent. But he is certainly Not in the starting blocks for the Next rwc.

Abendanon has a card to play

Jimbob April 25, 2011 9:49 pm

Delon is such a nice guy, isn't he. Google 'East Terrace' and Delon Armitage to see the best article there is on him.

Anonymous April 25, 2011 9:52 pm

Colombes...

What about Howlett smashing cars on the street, Kellehar being arrested for fighting after a drunken crash...

its everywhere mush..

Anonymous April 25, 2011 10:21 pm

Bit of a limp wristed attempt, but a attempt none the less

Colombes April 26, 2011 7:27 am

To anon above,

Of course, it happens everywhere :) howlett, kelleher, bastareaud or powell have nice records.. but i was pointing a serie of accidents where some english backs were involved in the last 2 months.

Nick April 26, 2011 8:16 am

What Armitage wasn't thinking about was where they were in the game at this point. It gave Myler another opportunity to have a little sit down, catch his breath, waste some time and take the momentum away from Irish. He recieved a couple of cheap shots in the last 10 mins and each time he just slowed it up and killed the game. So for each niggle like this it ended up just playing into Northamptons hand.

I think the reality is Armitage was just behind Foden 12 months ago, but with the lack of game time and lack of decent rugby he's played I think there are 4/5 players in the running for replacement 15.

Anonymous April 26, 2011 4:05 pm

I think that NH players are much better at it.....

Anonymous April 26, 2011 5:55 pm

Sorry, meant to write: I think the question we should all be asking is "Who throws sneaky digs better? SH or NH players?".
I think that SH players are much better at it.....

chris April 26, 2011 7:18 pm

Delon Armitage's action demonstrates that he does not have the attitude or focus for international rugby. This pathetic show of aggression is a result of pressure and clearly he cannot deal with it. A lesser action by McAlister cost the All Blacks dearly against France in 2007 with a yellow card. Can Martin Johnson afford to have someone like this in the squad? At the moment he is a liability and just not playing well enough, perhaps that is part of his frustration.

Alex Goode is a talented 15 and potentially 10, there has to be a point when he gets his England shirt. Failing that Cueto at 15 and bring in some of these truly talented wingers we have and who can score tries....unlike Cueto.

Anonymous April 26, 2011 9:24 pm

This is purely opinion, but Delon imo does not have the skill to play for England...his attitude just puts him deeper in the red...

Anonymous April 30, 2011 11:50 am

in mitigation Myler high tackles Ojo (tackles him around the head/neck) in this incident and myler may also have slipped ojo a sly punch (or he was trying to dislodge the ball from Ojo) . Armitage was the nearest player to see this and may have been the reason for his reaction

William May 03, 2011 8:41 pm

How can this be compared to the Sean O'Brien incident?! Delon went in there with intent, Sean just swung his arm back(......twice). he deseves this citing