Huge hit by Tonga in Pacific Nations Cup

Two casual tryscorers shown up

Dafydd Howells scores quickest try ever?

Tony Brown takes big hit from Pakalani

Maxime Machenaud carries Heini Adams!

5 Biggest Hits of the Premiership season

Ma'afu banned for punch on Tom Youngs

Johan Goosen huge drop goal on debut

Meanwhile in New Zealand advert

Thursday, September 08, 2011

All Blacks Haka vs Tongan Sipi Tau at the 2003 Rugby World Cup

As you will have noticed with the way the site is now organised (and still being organised), you can now access and browse archives in a much easier fashion. With that in mind, this classic video from the 2003 RWC needs to be added to RD, so now is a good time to do it.

Having a quick look, it's got almost 8 million views on Youtube since being uploaded five years again. That's an impressive amout in relation to other great rugby videos, but it's a testiment to what a great moment it was in the sport, and we'll be treated to the same again tomorrow when the two sides face off again.

Tonga has been given the green light to go first with their traditional challenge tomorrow, and it's up to the All Blacks as to when they choose to respond with the Haka. In 2003 it was a brilliant start to the game at Suncorp Stadium, and tomorrow it will be an apt start to the Rugby World Cup, hosted of course in a part of the world that is well known for it's culture and traditions.

"Where we have two teams performing cultural challenges ... Team A, who in this case on Friday night is Tonga, will start their challenge first," said Tournament director Kit McConnell.

"And then it's up to the other team to determine when they perform their challenge. The second team performing the challenge can wait until the first team finishes their challenge or they can start after the first team starts."

Tongan captain Finau Maka has said he'll prefer if the All Blacks wait until they finish their Sipi Tau.

"I'd prefer to see one team do the haka and the other team face up to the challenge, after that the other team do theirs," he said. "I'd rather that than two teams doing the haka and the sipi tau at the same time."

There will be another clash of Haka's later in the tournament, when Fiji and Samoa meet.

For now here's a quick look at this great clip that will always be remembered as a wonderful moment from the 2003 RWC in Australia, despite the fact that the All Blacks won the game 91-7.

Posted at 11:18 am | 10 comments

Posted in Rugby World Cup 2011

BuzzKillington September 08, 2011 4:58 pm

I'd rather see both at the same time, again. I thought Finau Maka was done for slavery, does anyone know what happened there? I'd just assumed for w/e reason that he wasn't playing the game anymore

tim September 08, 2011 5:12 pm

The NZ haka is a farce - white kiwi's imitating the culture they conquered. However, it's not quite as inance as below - Brilliant!

Well, South Africa liked All Blacks, but not real blacks, if you see what I mean? The same shameless and craven NZRU also happily pandered to what officially became apartheid in the 1940s by refusing to pick any Maori for any of the official tours to South Africa for the next half century. But the all-white All Blacks still performed the haka: how's that for the sacred flame of birthright and all that tripe?

Guy September 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Oooh, bad boys. They went over their 10 meter line. Luckily the IRB had more sense back then...

BuzzKillington September 08, 2011 6:34 pm

I don't know why the IRB even brought in that silly rule, it's not as if haka confrontations have ever resulted in fights or mass-brawls. Some intimidating eye-balling and swearing is about as heavy as it gets - And that's stuff great, if you ask me.

Find me a person who didn't like Chabal walking France up to the AB's in 2007, was as good as the game itself! Everyone was going wild in the pub

moddeur September 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Actually I know of this one example, in League I believe, the punches start flying at the end of the 2nd minute:

BuzzKillington September 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Yeah, I've seen that before. But it's League, on some random Island, between 2 nobody teams, with about 50 people in attendance.

Fights don't happen in the big games between pros when the haka's performed, players know better.

moddeur September 09, 2011 7:52 am

Yeah I agree with you fully about big games, and I agree that hakas should be faced down with intensity. It's just that this League haka fight video always makes me laugh, so I needed to share it in case some people hadn't seen it.

Huw September 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Agree with Buzz. One haka responding to another at the same time builds tension even more and it's very rare that fights break out. It's great to watch in person or even on tv and the way some northern hemisphere teams have responded in the past to different hakas has been great. Bring on Sunday!

JG September 08, 2011 9:36 pm

I was at that game in 03. To see it on video is one thing, to actually see it live sent shivers down the back of my spine. It was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen. I hope for the sake of all those attending tonights game, that they do it at the same time again.

Tim from above - I noticed that the new system on RD has not stopped you from trolling. Not sure why you are so bitter my friend, but I sure hope that somewhere, somehow you find that inner peace that you are looking for.

Guy September 08, 2011 9:55 pm

That must be one of the most awesome haka's I have ever seen. Not sure about the punch-up but just love the fact that they walk of like brothers who just settled a disagreement.