Ludovic Mercier crazy reverse pass

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Why you should always tackle low

Female Streaker has no regrets

Streaker starts mass brawl after tackle

The Human Hurdle Attempt

Ben Tameifuna massive fend on huge prop

Just how fast is Carlin Isles?

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Rugby World Cup Daily - Ireland upset the Wallabies

While Argentina and South Africa both looked very impressive as they picked up big wins in their earlier games, the story of the day is without a doubt the Irish victory over Australia at Eden Park. Today's Rugby World Cup Daily show features those matches.

Despite giving Scotland a good run in their opening game, Romania proved no match for Argentina, who bounced back from their loss to England with a strong 43-8 win. They scored six tries, from six different players, as they picked up the bonus point victory. They move into second place in Pool B, three points behind leaders Scotland and two ahead of England, who play Georgia tomorrow.

The Springboks got over what could have been a tricky hurdle as they not only beat Fiji, but put nearly fifty points on them. The 49-3 win came through composed defense and an expansive style of play that we aren't often treated to from the Boks. While in the 2007 Quarter Final that played into the Fijians hands, who almost sprung the upset, today it wasn't a problem as backs and forwards combined for some great tries.

They have a long way to go until they will be considered true cup hopefuls, but this was a tremendous step in the right direction, especially after last week's disappointing performance against Wales.

The Ireland vs Wallabies game was in complete contrast as the 2009 Six Nations champions upset the Tri Nations champs with a powerful forward display in Auckland. Jonathan Sexton kicked nine points while Ronan O'Gara slotted six to the two penalties of James O'Connor.

It was a brilliant win for an Ireland team that are great on paper but came into the tournament low on confidence after a string of poor performances. The forwards stepped up today though, as Paul O'Connell, Stephen Ferris, and Sean O'Brien were immense, while Mike Ross was key destroyer of the Wallaby scrum.

Australia tried in vain to get back into the match and nearly gifted Tommy Bowe a try through a loose Quade Cooper pass, only for O'Connor to sprint back and make a brilliant try saving tackle.

It was the first time Ireland have beaten Australia in five Rugby World Cup meetings.

Don't forget that all match highlights can be viewed on the official RWC website

Posted in Rugby World Cup 2011

Guy September 17, 2011 5:00 pm

It's ugly, but it's a win!

fester September 17, 2011 5:02 pm

Stunned by the drive and guile of the Irish this morning, well done
But we have won nothing yet, keep it up

Tristan September 17, 2011 5:25 pm

It' s not ugly it' s just the old rugby, the rugby of fight ^^

moddeur September 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Yeah, why was it ugly? I thought it was a good demonstration of strangulation and suffocation. Hardcore rugby in fact, not for the faint of heart. The lads on the field today will have sore bodies for days!

BuzzKillington September 17, 2011 6:35 pm

I didn't think it was ugly, either. Was a very exciting game as a neutral.

LND September 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Not ugly at all, it was a remarkable forward performance and fantastic defense, Genia and Cooper starved of possession and marked so tightly out of it. Absolutely brilliant game. The amount of criticism and the way Ireland were written off was so unjustified. The talk that this was a "shock" and an "upset" is not really valid for me, I think Ireland easily have the players to match Oz and SA, it was just difficult getting this performance out of them.

i love bacon September 17, 2011 7:03 pm

I guess Guy might have meant "ugly" as in no tries were scored. If that's the case, I still disagree - it was an exciting-enough game the entire time that I didn't even notice the lack of tries.

I was hoping Ireland would win, and they dominated the front for sure, but every time Australia managed to get the ball to their backs, I cringed. When you have arguably the most dangerous back line in world rugby, why would you not make that the focus of your game...Australia failed to make effective use of those guys, so with that went any chance of them taking away the game.

...interestingly enough, Ireland played just as good with Sexton at 12 as D'Arcy.

And am I the only one who loses interest in Keith Earls more and more every game he plays? Sure, he can be effective...but the amount of errors he commits tends to cancel out any line breaks he makes.

LND September 17, 2011 7:19 pm

you're right about Earls, I don't think he merits his place. Trimble should be given proper game time. Sexton was interesting at 12, also interesting that POC immediately gave the ball to ROG when he came on!

swavgav September 19, 2011 5:22 pm

I think he's overated big time.
He's a confidence player, and at the moment he has none.
Far too many mistakes. Trimble deserves to be ahead of him, he was our best back in the warm-ups by a country mile!!!

Full Back September 18, 2011 9:16 am

I couldn't agree more on Earls, showed great promise but seems to be trying to hard to pull off some piece of magic that he simply isn't capable of.
Would love to see Trimble in there, either for Earls on the wing or for Darcy in the centre who doesn't seem to be on song. Murphy is there as an option for wing even though he's a full back first and foremost, but has more of a head on his shoulders than Earls.
I'd like to thank Quade Cooper on behalf of all the Irish fans here, when we looked under pressure or like a good pass or kick would have given us bother, he held onto that ball, cheers mate ;)

Huh!!!the3rd September 18, 2011 5:06 pm

I've stood next to the man and I'm 186 and 91kg and I lorded it over him. Team stats are always misleading claiming players are bigger than reality, check ROG's if you don't believe me (6ft my hairy....). I've had the opportunity of being at functions (ok, 1 function, jeez do you want blood aswell) with Munster players and can tell you for a fact that their stats are wrong, eg, they give David Wallace variously as 6'1 to 6'3, when I am clearly taller than him (I was on an airport shuttle bus with him after last world cup in Dublin haha).

Ironically, Stringer did seem bigger than the 5'7 they list him as.

Whether posters here believe me or not doesn't bother me, still a god try saving tackle.

Full Back September 18, 2011 9:21 pm

I've been involved with Rugby for quite some time now, have met quite a few of the Internationals and can safely say that Earls is easily 5,11 and Wallace is 6,2, is and always has been listed at 6,2 and it's not exactly hard to believe.
That you "lorded" over Earls may be an impression you had (6cm isn't a small margin) but it doesn't change the height of the guy. Why, out of curiosity would team stats be off? It doesn't make any sense, it's more likely that you're mistaken in my opinion.
In any case it really has no bearing on the argument, people are disappointed in Earls lack of effectiveness in attack, his defense wasn't in question as far as I've read here.

Glenagoolie September 19, 2011 11:32 pm

I think Earls is quality but he's simply being messed around. Every week he's played in a different position often having to change position during the course of a game as substitutions occur. Ask any player and they'll tell you they need a couple of back to back games in the one position to bring out the best.

WelshOsprey September 17, 2011 7:47 pm

Quade Cooper is a joke, good win for ireland.

BuzzKillington September 17, 2011 8:31 pm

When Cooper got smashed he looked like he was gonna tear up for a moment. He was definitely hurting

dec September 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Cian Healy-Put on more Australians Kidney-There are no more Australians

gerard ruddy September 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Ronan O Gara said after the game that he was annoyed he didnt get startn and he will be finished with the green jersey in a few weeks, not sure if he ment it.

brookmcg September 18, 2011 10:52 am

Well if your retiring from the international scene as of the end of the world cup and your not playing bad but positive rugby, I would imagine that you would want to be on as much as possible and putting in as much as you can before you go. So I say he meant it, but in the sort of sentimental way as opposed to him being the best option for the team and their play.

The Claw September 17, 2011 9:44 pm

Kevin the Tipster sheep jinxed Oz.

But seriously how good were Ferris & O'Brien? It's a pity with these RWC video police, we can't watch Will Genia & Quade Cooper getting owned.

Hey, wait a minute..

Jeroz September 19, 2011 12:29 pm

taken down :<
Can Rugbydump please make a clip for that awesome drive from the Irish? I want to see that again

Sme September 17, 2011 10:24 pm

Show of hands: who is able to view the match highlights on the official RWC site?

Installed the MS Silverlight thingy, tried in IE and Firefox, browsers are pretty up to date, haven't yet been able to get a single video to play on the RWC site.

LND September 18, 2011 12:36 am

they take a while to come up I think

BuzzKillington September 18, 2011 10:33 am

Silverlight is often problematic for people. Would it really have been that hard for the IRB to upload highlights to both their own RWC website and their RWC youtube page? Is uploading to Youtube going to destroy the game or something?

Rugbydump September 18, 2011 2:20 pm

Sorry to hear that. It would be interesting to know how many others are experiencing the same problem. Other than making sure Silverlight is installed and trying in different browsers, is to make sure your cache is cleared. Otherwise, get in contact with them directly http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/contact.html

If you're tech savvy, a simple option would be to get a reliable proxy set up, and you can then view highlights on the websites carrying them in the respective countries, such as ITV in UK, Fox Sports in Aus, Universal Sports in US, etc.

The Claw September 18, 2011 3:54 pm

It seems the powers of the RWC are missing a trick by being so conservative with match footage. Their official website is slow & clumsy & their highlights are substandard anyways with poor overdubbed commentary.

They are ultimately stunting the sport by denying fans old & new who visit sites like rugbydump great sporting action.

Old-school copyright protection in a youtube age is a road to nowhere.

BuzzKillington September 18, 2011 5:16 pm

Agreed. Their dubbed commentary is about twice as loud in volume as the narration too. I also hate the way the clips are put together. Many of the tries aren't shown in real time but instead from some crappy replay. Same story with the hits.

I'd rather see everything in real time and a couple phases of build up play too.

Mise September 17, 2011 11:31 pm

Same here - can't watch highlights on RWC site despite installing program.
Shame really - RWC is not good for this site, surprisingly.

On the match - Ross was incredible and the youth of the Aussies really showed today. Rodge's kicking was v assured. BOD looked like he was injured from the start! His shoulder isn't right. Would sexton work at 12, or is McFadden needed there? Presuming d'arcy is injured.
Heslip - not spectacular esp compared to the other 2 in the backrow.
Bowe had a few out wide if only he'd sen them for a crossfield, but no worries!

All told, serious pack performance , and what about the use of the choke tackle!?! That's the answer to the offloading game, from a defence perspective, straight off. Give the man wit the ball a big hug, while it mate also tackles him lower.

Aussies still a threat in this competition, but Ireland have an easier run in now, should they keep their heads.

Mise ( me phone doesn't have password on it!)

Keith September 18, 2011 2:37 am

Poorly refereed or well cheated by Ireland? Constantly had hands in, not releasing or rolling away as a tackler, in from the side, and offside. How they were not more severely penalized is beyond understanding.

That being said, they defended well and really worked hard to shut down a poor performance from Australia

moddeur September 18, 2011 5:42 am

The way I see it, the Irish did what they always do, they infringe in the ruck at the beginning of a game, just to get under the skin of the opposite scrum-half, and then they stop. Rewatch the game, you'll notice some Irish hands for 20mns into the game, then it all becomes clean. I'm not defending this behaviour, but it can't be worse than Australian offsides. As a neutral, I felt that no matter who was refereeing, the Irish would win this game. On some days some teams are just better, that's the way it goes.

i love bacon September 18, 2011 6:16 am

This. I don't remember Ireland ever being 5m behind the offside line formed by a ruck and still trying to make a tackle; however, I do remember Australia doing it more than once.

Full Back September 18, 2011 9:24 am

Well cheated? I can understand your frustration if you're an Aussie, but the Irish kept tackled players on their feet and turned them to excellent effect and the Aussie scrum couldn't hold their bind, they even put their hand to ground on occasion, which is a straight penalty. On one stage Ireland had a scrum against them even though the ref blocked Reddan on one side and the big off side second row blocked him on the other....the ref was bad, but didn't favour anyone in particular.
The Aussies lost the collisions, were late to the breakdown, weak in the bind and squandered ball in the back-line, that's why they lost.

luke September 20, 2011 5:19 pm

How do you mean poorly refereed? From which perspective? How one of the aussie props didn't end up in the bin we'll never know. The worst mistake Lawrence made was getting in the way of Eoin Reddan and then allowing Horwill come back from a clearly offside and slap the ball out of his hands. As for the breakdown, well I dunno what game you were watching. In the NH teams are actually allowed to compete at the oppositions breakdown, and if your team isn't getting quick ball you don't look at the ref, you look at yourself and just blow them out of it

Huh!!!the3rd September 18, 2011 4:48 am

Don't get all the Earls bashing. He made 1 error in the whole game right at the start and none after, including a great hit on a much bigger player (McCabe) stopping a certain try. O'Driscoll fell off at least 2 tackles that could've led to alot more damage only for the other backs to cover him (if he is injured then he's taking a real gamble and SA, Ita and others will target his injury), yet no one comments, as I've pointed out before, clear double standards. Thought Reddan was poor again overall, a couple of poor passes and decisions, but performs better with Sexton. Huge games from front row and pack led by O'Connell, Ferris and Healy. Healy has turned into a world class prop and is looking at 100+ caps easily.

In a bar and with no replay (or maybe I was down on my knees at that moment) don't know why Muarry's try was disallowed. Could someone clear it up for me.

Start Sexton and Reddan v Russia and rest the majority of the others. Cronin, Ryan, McFadden et al need match time

This makes it much easier living in Aussieland now.

The Claw September 18, 2011 12:02 pm

Conor Murray had an opportunist try from another turnover ruled out for offside.

Full Back September 18, 2011 4:38 pm

I don't think it was offside, it was playing the ball on the ground. Court I think it was robbed the ball in the ruck and threw it out while lying on his back

UHtiger September 18, 2011 6:32 am

Much bigger player? Mccabe and Earls are practically the same size.
Good game by ireland, completely out played the over hyped wallabies.

Huh!!!the3rd September 18, 2011 12:56 pm

McCabe
Weight: 92 kg
Height: 186 cm

Earls
Weight: 90 kg
Height: 180 cm

While I did think McCabe was bigger, I can tell you 100% Keith Earls isn't either 90kgs or 180cm. More like 85kgs max and 175cm (he is not 5'10 (180) in any language). So, I think I'll stand by my reasoning

Full Back September 18, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm afraid you're wrong there Huh, sometimes players seem smaller on the pitch than they actually are, but just to put it into context, 175 by 85kgs is closer to Will Genia's stats. I know you're not suggesting Earls is the same size as Genia and would like to think that you're not going to suggest that the Aussies official site is posting bum stats on it's players.
Earls is every bit as big as McCabe and is 5,11 in whatever language you like.
The reason he gets bashed is because when he hit the scene first he was being lorded as the next big thing in Rugby...he isn't quite living up to the tag

Natural7 September 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Are you the guy at the fair "prize if i get your weight wrong"?
:P

TE September 18, 2011 8:15 am

Happy with the result. I feel Tommy Bowe should have at least tried to fend off O'Connor to make an awesome try.

Full Back September 18, 2011 9:19 am

Bowe could have kicked it across field where there were 4 Irish completely free to score, that said at that point what he did was as good as a try anyway, so we'll forgive him for having a go...don't think he had the strength left to fend to be honest.

Eggman September 18, 2011 6:39 pm

Good game from Ireland, you have to hand it to them, they forced their game onto the aussies and did not allow them to unfold their game. While the aussies often looked dangerous once the backs had the ball (especially Kurtley Beale in the first half) their forwards simply werent able to provide them with fast enough ball. Also the high tackling and mauling was genius by the Irish. The aussies didnt seem to know what to do with it.

While this might sound like excuses coming from an aussie, they're not supposed to be. But I doubt the Aussie pack wouldve been dominated quite as much with Moore and Pocok on their. McCalman was appaling at 7. Deans should be kicking himself right now for not bringing a replacement specialist 7 (Beau Robinson for example) to the World Cup instead of McCalman. The Aussies don't need 3 specialist 8s in their sqaud.. Also the absence of Digby was noticeable.

On a different note, why does everyone hate Quade Cooper? Is it because of him personally or more because of the way the (aussie) media portrays him as the single greatest thing to hit rugby. ever.
It also annoys me a bit that Aussies are being called arrogant, when as far as I can tell only the media is (at least after the aussies win a game or two). The team deffinately were not arrogant coming into this game, and they always said that they judged Ireland on their last 6-Nations encounter with England, rather than on their Warm-ups. However, the Aussie media again chose to call the result before the game, and thus accted arrogantly. However, blaming the actions of the media on the team seems unfair to me...

i love bacon September 19, 2011 2:42 am

Regarding Cooper, I think it's a bit of both. From stealing laptops, he got off to a bad start - most people thought he was a cock. Then, he's hopping around like a kangaroo, throwing careless no-look passes like he's the son of Carlos Spencer and Shane Williams, and doing backflips in the tryzone like he's scored a gift from god. He seems to have a bit of a cocky attitude, but then he can't defend worth a damn, so that makes him look like a goon. Plus, he's been caught throwing a few dirty shots recently (not that many players are immune from it, though). And then you've got Greg Martin getting a boner every time Cooper touches the ball...it all just adds up.

So, while I don't hate the guy, I find it satisfying to see him lined up and hammered in a tackle.

And as much as I wish I could dislike him, I have to admit he's done a reasonably good job at keeping himself in check. As far as I've seen, he's not out turning himself into a Gavin Henson...he keeps focused on the rugby, so you can't really hate a guy for that.

It's really not all that bad, and if I were an Australian, I'd actually be glad that Cooper manages to get under other people's skin a little.

moddeur September 19, 2011 7:01 am

I don't dislike Cooper the rugby player, it's just Cooper the cheap shot that annoys me. Latest example: against Ireland, there was a moment when Earls was being tackled by an Australian player. Cooper came in to assist the tackle and slammed a full elbow in the back of Earls, near the kidneys. Not exactly a fine example of good sportsmanship. But his cockiness is ok as far as I'm concerned, generally speaking cocky players all have the skills to back up their cockiness.

AK-NZ September 20, 2011 11:34 am

Pretty good summary really. I know that a lot of Kiwis really despise him, and for the reasons you mentioned, you can kinda see why. Plus if you target our captain (no matter how much people may call him a cheat or think he deserves it etc) you have to expect some niggle from a rugby-mad nation that supports their skipper 100%. I'm sure if he was baiting another team's captain their rugby public would feel the same too.

Seeing him generate this dislike and then seemingly revel in it in the media doesn't do him any favours either. I don't hate him, but I still don't like him and think he's a massive d-bag for just not focussing on his footy rather than getting under people's skin. But hey, you can't stop the guy doing his thing. If I was an Aussie though, I'd be a bit disappointed with his attitude, especially because if he worked on his game more, namely his defense and high-pressure decision making, he could be a truly great first five.

tuumeke September 19, 2011 1:48 am

Us kiwis hate him coz he is an ex pat kiwi who has no respect for the all blacks and trys choking richie mccaw while he's on the ground and kneeing him in the head , claiming to be NZ public enemy no1 and just his general arrogance really typify's what it means to be an australian in the eyes of a kiwi (which i know is not fair). Thats why the Irish had 57k+ fans at eden park lol.

jb452 September 19, 2011 11:20 pm

Great game, great result

Tim Horan September 23, 2011 12:11 pm

the Irish are cheats, they faked injury against the wallabies at the breakdown, all game long