Visser penalised for preventing lineout

Sam Tuitupou's big tackle on Sherridan

Henry Tuilagi swats Zee Ngwenya away

Sebastien Chabal knocks out Marc Giraud

Japanese swallow dive try blooper

Matt Toomua Falcon vs the All Blacks

Buck Shelford tribute

Tony Buckley's big handoff on Simon Shaw

Rupeni Caucau try and nice assist

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Radike Samo's IRPA Try of the Year 2011, vs New Zealand

The IRPA Try of the Year award went to the Wallabies' Radike Samo at the IRB Awards earlier in the week. He scored the try against the All Blacks in the Tri Nations and we featured it in the highlights then, but not on it's own, so here's another look at it.

It's good to archive stuff like this, a fantastic try from a player who has been around the block. Samo has had a good run of form of late, and even turned out on the wing in the RWC. His hard running, big tackling, and good work ethic have prolonged his career to the point of him now being a Super Rugby and Tri Nations title holder.

This 60m solo effort against the All Blacks has now been recognised as the Try of the Year by the International Rugby Players Association.

"I was lucky I got there. It was good. I just ran the gap and it went from there. I didn't realise it was 40 or 50m... the last 10m was like... argghh," said 35 year old Samo.

"It’s a pretty awesome try for me because its my first test try. Something I’ll never forget, it’ll be there for the rest of my life so its all good," he added.

Acura Niuqila, who played for Fiji, said that the try was typically Fijian, and shows exactly where the term 'Flying Fijians' comes from. "We Fijian players are like wine... the older we get, the better we become. I'm sure there is still much more left in Samo. He is in his mature age now. Thirties is the mature age for Fijian players. They are in their best form at this age," Niuqila said.

You can view a highlights video of the rest of the IRB Awards for 2011 in the related posts below

IRB Awards 2011 Highlights

Radike Samo's big hit on Bryan Habana

The Wallabies take the Tri Nations in thriller

IRPA Try of the Year 2011 - Chris Ashton's great try

IRPA Try of the Year 2009 awarded to Jaque Fourie

Posted in Great Tries

mirror pond October 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Happy for Samo. Was a pretty magnificent try, especially when he's a 35-year old forward, running 50m and fending off the All Blacks.

And it was his first test try? Not too many other players have had their first tries nominate for IRB Try of the Year. Someone buy that man a drink!

Stubby October 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Power try right there.

AkaRed October 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Not trying to belittle the try, it was awesome, but if it had have been scored by a 20 something winger or centre would it be try of the year? I don't think so. In my opinion there were many better tries scored than that this year.

i love bacon October 26, 2011 6:23 pm

Not saying you're wrong, but feel free to list some of those other tries.

Unlike previous years, I don't know if they gave a list of 2011 IRPA Try of the Year nominees this time around.

Gustavo October 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Wow...It is very fast and explosive for a guy who weighs 117kg! Congratulations Radike

Just Call Me Ehtch October 26, 2011 7:33 pm

More flash poetry from me, and I am Welsh, Cymro, so watch it, or I will go out of my way to really spook you - WHOOOOOH!

Samo or Shane? who is the asteroid?
First to come back down to Earth to score a try.
Shane did go flying, with ozzies new hyper-space,
but eventually came back down to Earth, arse totally on fire,
nibbled kicked on footie twice, into the corner, smoking pants still attired.

Have a good one v. OZ in six weeks at the Millennium Shane fach, I will be blubbering, as will many. All the best fach. Song for yews, my prydferth tin soldier,

By the way, I am from Cross Hands, just a valley along from you, and I have drunk drinks with your old PE teacher in the Kings Head, Capel Hendre, Carwyn J. Call by there sometime. Friday nights would be perfect for Robbie Kings. See you there, blodyn bach.

Just Call Me Ehtch October 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Shane, just say Huw from Cross sent you, and you will be alright. ; ), just tell Robbie and Carwyn J that on a Sunday night and they will understand totally. HIC! more tea vicer?

Just Call Me Ehtch October 26, 2011 8:31 pm

And by the way, Shane, say hello to Col when your there in the Kings, he has been through the mashy, family things - a great bloke, I can spot them. And tell him to get back on his bike - ride Llanwrtyd Wells- Abergwesyn - Tregaron, and have a pint ther in the Talbot Arms is all I have to say, Col fach.

Just Call Me Ehtch October 26, 2011 8:15 pm

Life moves on, rugger players notice, going out of puff.
Up into the opposition 22 coughing and spluttering.
Saying where is my fag or pint of ale.
Rugby is a brilliant game, snd if you hsve not been chaired withan ancle destroyed,
you have no idea potts fracture hundred and eighty degree anckle experienced.
Smarted like fuck, but by damned, ducks back to me, it was, always known I was pain inane. Some of us were born that way. Should have done boxing, light-welterweight, ten stone odd, like my grandfather from Cardie. Knocked several people of their block, in my travels, starting on me.
Another song for rugger, ladies,

Just Call Me Ehtch October 30, 2011 2:49 pm

I have been told, Shane, by Carwyn J the PT teacher, and several other good lads in the Kings, to try regain my life, and sort my shit out. Already sold a car to a bloke from Penygroes, so I am working on it. 2001 shagging a five foot nine fit blonde, same height as me, to truthfully say, was my last high point, before things family. Ah well, song for that Brisbane girl, brilliant girl - daughter of a sheep family from the middle of nowhere in Queensland aparently I went wrong, but as I said, had to travel back for serious heartbreaking family problems. Queensland girl, a song for my towering beauty: -
Melbourne nightclub, a couple years ago. I should have -COUGH! - been there, to answer her questions. : )

Just Call Me Ehtch October 30, 2011 3:04 pm

Any taffies that want to feel to play rugger in OZ, go no futher than Brisbane, in Queensland. Perth/Melbourne/Sydney etc., forget it. Brisbane- remember lads, home from home. Song of Brisbane,

Just Call Me Ehtch October 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Marros beach, drowned, Marloes sands, renounded,
places to visit I say see,
pegged leg out of your car and you will agree,
Pendine like,

WelshOsprey October 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Just call me ehtch
You are one weird person

poccio October 26, 2011 10:48 pm

my feeling is that he's drunk..

Just Call Me Ehtch October 30, 2011 3:23 pm

You're both correct. poccio, you should meet me when I am sober, then I would really spook you.

And WelshOsprey, mine is another pint of cider.

More weird music, NOT!, from Evie fach, from down by my way, Scarletia,
HAVE IT OSPREYLIA!

Rob October 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Wow ... not even CLOSE to try of the year for me. If it's from the start of last year's NH season, Scarlets try against Perpignan was much better - and much more reflective of rugby's TEAM nature!

Rugbydump October 27, 2011 9:43 am

It's the international try of the year, from Test rugby.

The one you mention was brilliant though.

breakaway October 27, 2011 9:48 am

There might have been more complex or beautiful tries in 2011 but this one has some sort of X-factor. An exciting moment at a crucial time in a Tri-nations decider and a forward running half the length of the field. Beale scored the match-winner much later in the game but it feels like the 5-point difference at the end was Samo's doing.

Jeri October 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Awesome try and loved it! His afro's big, but his heart's even bigger!

juanilooo October 27, 2011 1:35 pm

Awesome try but Gonzales Amorosino's was better!!!

The Green Mafia October 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Wow, I totally agree with "just call me etch", I think... Cant really understand what he's saying. Still, great try, and even better from an "old man"

Just Call Me Ehtch October 30, 2011 3:54 pm

Don't worry The Green Mafia, I am a Turk supporter. A song for you from Evie bach nghariad - blodyn bach wen o yr gae haf, from down by here,

Ray Gravell well remembered.

Just Call Me Ehtch October 31, 2011 3:56 pm

Grav, 12 September 1951 – 31 October 2007. Will ever be remembered. Taken too soon.

Hope no one minds the memories heads up.

Don't know if I have mentioned it, but agree with the IRB try of the year 2011.

Centre October 28, 2011 12:02 am

Clearly, a great try. But yes probably another example in sport of when awards go to the situation and who was involved in the event, rather than the actual specific merits of the act itself.
By the way RD, I was denied a unique double first of being the 'first' comment on this vid with my first ever comment after joining this site if only my activation email had come in time lol ! D'oh!
It's OK though, I'm pleased to be up and running at all.

Just Call Me Entch October 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Don't panic, I am the dark underground movement tha i re-kickstarting welsh rugby, refs or not. Watch the scarlets in the next couple of weeks to see what I mean, Gravell-like,
DUW - that was a bit heavy!": )
Tatws - dear dear tatws, spuds in another name.

hasif October 31, 2011 9:33 am

what does IRPA stand for?

Just Call Me Ehtch October 31, 2011 5:22 pm

International Rugby Player's Association - founded in 2001. Druids of rugby, but in rugby kit. Link,