Lee Jones makes huge trysaving tackle

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Ben Tameifuna massive fend on huge prop

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Danny Cipriani talks about past troubles

Hala'ufia crunches then slaps Wilson

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Ben Flower red card for vicious punches

All Blacks snatch victory at the death

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Namibian Jacques Burger's big hit on Fijian Akapusi Qera

Gloucester hosted Saracens in the Aviva Premiership on the weekend for what was one of those games jampacked with incident. Scuffles, great play, tweeting insults, and of course, some great hits. This one from Jacques Burger stood out as the best of them.

The game started with a huff and a puff within the first minute as both sides were clearly up for it. It continued later on, with two players exchanging blows and being yellow carded. We'll try get that posted for you soon, quite possibly via Facebook and Twitter, so make sure you're following.

This bit we've chosen to feature here though is a great tackle from Nambian captain Jacques Burger, who yet again had a fantastic World Cup. He led his side admirably, following on from his typically courageus performances at the 2007 tournament in France.

He played for the Bulls in South Africa, then was later signed up by Saracens. In New Zealand he made 64 tackles as his side conceded 266 points in their four matches. Having come from a farming background, the man is a workhorse, and he has the scars to prove it.

He would walk into many international sides, and was named as one of the top five outstanding performers at the RWC. He's a great example of a smalltown guy coming good through a lot of hard work and inspirational play. This tackle on Gloucester's Fijian flanker Akapusi Qera was typical of the man, and made for good viewing too.

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

Citing Commissioner November 02, 2011 4:22 pm

2 things:
1 - all the power came from Charlie Hodgson
2 - I'm amazed Stuart Barnes didn't claim it should have been a sin-binning (he's such a twat)

Full Back November 02, 2011 8:28 pm

You're being sarcastic re-Hodgen..... aren't you?

Amanda November 02, 2011 4:42 pm

The bloke's a machine. I watched Namibia v Samoa and he just launched himself at everything that moved. I thought at the time he was deadset the craziest bloke in world rugby. Great spirit.

Mise November 02, 2011 4:42 pm

Reply to Citing Commissioner

Are you off your bleeding head? 2+2=562...? Where did you come up with Hodgson being the battering ram.

Agree re.Barnes.

Stefan November 02, 2011 5:26 pm

Clean and hard: BOOOM.

Great to see at the top level.

Pretzel November 02, 2011 6:39 pm

I disagree with the Citing Commissioner re Barnes.... We ARE talking about a WHITE PLAYER making the tackle.... you do realise that anything sin bin worthy, or red card worthy can only be the result of a brown or should I say "islander" doing a tackle....

Barnes is such a tool...

As for the "playing with a broken cheekbone"....says more about the guys head than it does about his heart...obviously something isn't working right in there...

AK-NZ November 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Stopped him dead, fantastic tackle. Like others have said, he really was a standout during the cup and I'm surprised I didn't see him on more RWC team of the tournament lists. The guy was everywhere, and was gold for Namibia at the breakdown. Great player.

Juggernauter November 02, 2011 11:33 pm

This guy is what Lewis Moody would be if he had any talent and not just guts. Great player, and thank God he's Namibian so the IRB can see that the "minnows" can produce such ruggers. Hopefully that'll show 'em to start privileging them more!

Just Call Me Ehtch November 03, 2011 4:04 am

Yes Jacques Burger certainly played the World Cup superbe, one of the few number sevens than didn't get sent off after seventeen minutes. Just for my Iriish RFU friends, I don't hold a grudge on them - I posted this on a great song,

"When I say, whenever wherever I find myself myself in the World I find myself, when I say I am from the Western side of old people from mainland here, and they look in my eyes and hear me, they shake my hand, and want to? praise me, in a little way. Calon haf i pawb - a summer's heart to you all, frindiau bach ar a byd hon - friends small like me on this World of ours."

Great irish Gaelic song. Wonder if Monsiuer has a third language, or not? Maybe not, the cockrel!

Just Call Me Ehtch November 05, 2011 2:14 am

What really get's me, is what all those taff troops in Aphf, on being given some slack off time arranged to watch the semi, thought of that seventeeth minute. Don't think they see many Irish nor French troopers by their side, as they see their mates die. That encapsulates my feeling when the repeat of that red was flying by that lesser man. Still beggar's belief with me it does, you might have noticed..

let it go Hughie/Shuggy/Taffie, let it go....

The Green Mafia November 03, 2011 11:35 am

I love how one of the commentators doesn0t believe Captain Corageous played the World Cup with a broken cheekbone.

-"Did not"