Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Southland sensational try after big bump

Horwill & Bismarck Du Plessis slaps

Cheslin Kolbe dazzling run, no look pass

Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

George Pisi hit makes Shane Geraghty ill

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Jamie Cudmore yellow carded and cited for strike on Jerome Fillol

Clermont lock Jamie Cudmore has been cited for an incident that occured a few days back during the Top 14 side's meeting with Stade Francais in Paris. Cudmore was yellow carded at the time, but has since been summoned to face a disciplinary hearing.

The burly Canadian lock - now sporting an impressive Movember moustache for charity - is no stranger to trouble, and it looks as though this time his reputation has led to another citing.

He lashed out at replacement Jerome Fillol after it appeared that Fillol had done a similar thing to a Clermont player. The difference here is that Cudmore, being a much bigger man, took care of business the way only he knows how, decking Fillol.

Having chatted with him earlier this evening, he told me that he felt the yellow card was pretty fair, but was quite surprised by a citing on top of that. It looked like it was an open fist, but the reputation he carries means he'll usually get heavily dealt with for things like this. You also cannot go around smacking people in the face and expect to get away with it, even if it is in retaliation.

"Any forward, any second-row worth his salt has to do certain things that maybe run afoul of the law for sure. You're out there to dominate the opposition and if sometimes you go a bit overboard, well I'm not going to say sorry," he said in an interview recently.

"I play my game fair, but I play it hard. I have had problems with discipline and cards in the past but I never look back on those things and think 'Oh Jeez, I shouldn't have done that.' Well it's too late, it's done. I'm looking forward and I just want to do my best for the team who I'm playing for."

This incident was actually fairly similar to the Paul Williams red card against South Africa in the World Cup, where Williams was given his marching orders after lashing out at Heinrich Brussow with an open fist. In that case and this one, both players made a bit of a meal of it on the floor.

Jamie Cudmore gets 40 day ban for punch on Le Corvec

Jamie Cudmore yellow carded for punch but cited for stamp

Jamie Cudmore suspended following punch and red card

Jamie Cudmore suspended after fight with Paul O'Connell

Rugbydump November 08, 2011 11:40 pm

Cudmore will face a disciplinary hearing on 23 November. Do you think a citing is necessary for this, or was the penalty and yellow card sufficient?

COB November 08, 2011 11:48 pm

Cudmore will never change. He has absolutely no self control.

IrishRef November 09, 2011 12:09 am

so, how many times has Mr Cudmore been in trouble?

that wasn't a tackle, it was a wild swing at someone's head area. Nothing in the rules that would even begin to mitigate his actions.

i'm sure his previous ill-discipline will be a factor in the decision.

Reality November 09, 2011 12:09 am

The card are hearing are absolutely necessary. For a normal player I'd say just a card, because unlike what Cudmore said, the guy did NOT have the ball, and even if he did you can't really rough them up like he did here just because the have the ball.

But the fact that he's Jamie Cudmore who is a cereal offender and this is probably his millionth offence, I'd say ban the guy, cos the defence that it was an accident or a mistake or he just lost control for a second obviously doesn't hold water anymore after the many, many times he's been cited.

Also, why do Clermont employ him? He spends most of the season banned, and gives Clermont a terrible reputation. What's the sense in paying him to do that?

Pretzel November 09, 2011 4:53 am

LOL... "cereal offender" *Fuck you Kellogs!*

cheyanqui November 09, 2011 1:12 pm

It is "Kellogg's", oh the irony

Hry November 09, 2011 12:14 am

Heh, love the related videos underneath. Jamie Cudmore banned for punch.... Jamie Cudmore cited for stamp... Jamie Cudmore suspended for punch.... Jamie Cudmore suspended for fight....

It's good that he got his life on track after a wayward childhood n'all, but couldn't he just lose the unreasonably dirty play?

Mike November 09, 2011 12:15 am

"Jamie visits RD from time to time, so please keep your comments below respectful. Thanks." You've put this up on a public domain, he is in the public eye. Cop yourself on. If he stopped throwing punches you never know he might actually play some rugby and Clermont might win something.

i love bacon November 09, 2011 12:31 am

Given Cudmore's temper and predilection for retaliation outside the laws of the game, I was expecting the clip to be more "convincing" that he did something wrong. What I saw, instead, was the unfortunate hamming-it-up-ness that seems to be more ingrained in French rugby culture than in others.

That's not to say all French players fall too easily - plenty French players are tough and would rather be knocked out than risk looking like a wuss - but far too many do.

I'm not saying I wouldn't fall to the ground after getting hit by Cudmore, I probably would. But I wouldn't lay there rubbing my face to try and milk a penalty out of it.

Yellow card was fair enough. Citing is somewhat expected, given that it's Cudmore. Same would likely happen for Botha. But given Fillol had just gone after a player with a swinging arm himself, maybe he ought to have received a warning as well.

The Green Mafia November 09, 2011 1:08 am

Well, honestly, Cudmore shouldn't have done that. With his track record he should have learned that the way to go for any lock (that's where the name "enforcer" comes from) is to not respond, wait for him to attack the line near you and with a legal tackle break a couple of his ribs, give him a pat on the back and whisper "off you go, next time think twice before doing that to my scrummie". Case closed. Your role is to keep the other team on their toes, show them some respect, like Brad Thorn. It isn't the first time you run affoul with the law, son.

But I have to say Filliol should have gotten a card and maybe 2 weeks on the sidelines for recklesness. No attempt to make any kind of legal tackle and a blow like that in the throat/neck area can cause some serious damage. Also, for christ's sake, man up, what is that football-like act? Are you waiting for your team doc to come and fix your hairdo with a bit of hairspray? Milking a penalty much?

At least this is my view as a second rower

WelshOsprey November 09, 2011 2:03 am

French rugby is dirty as hell in the top 14

iain_not_ian November 09, 2011 3:56 am

Second row blind siding a scrum half. Tough guy

moddeur November 09, 2011 9:28 am

A bad case of self-handled justice.
Fillol, being the devious scrumhalf that he is, lunges forward (probably offside) and knocks deliberately on the ball.
Cudmore then tries to explain to him why he shouldn't do that, not with so many words though. But Cudmore being a good half meter taller, ends up hitting Fillol in the face and toppling him over.
Ok for the card, and a citing if necessary. Although I fully understand why Cudmore did what he did, you can't go around dealing justice on your own. Well at least not too much of it ...

Colombes November 09, 2011 10:26 am

alala cudmore, what can u say, the guy is a muscle man and so useful in the rucks, but his indiscipline was the cause a lot of clermont defeats.
as the H-cup is approaching, it was maybe the right time to recall him that refs will have an eye on him.
yellow because the open hand, not sure about the citing

bonalymac November 09, 2011 10:38 am

"Jamie visits RD from time to time, so please keep your comments below respectful. "

Mr Cudmore doesn't seem too respectful of others, so I'm not sure he deserves too much consideration himself.

That is just pure thuggery, and then to try and claim "he had the ball". If you want to dish it out, you ahve to take it too". No excuses, especially false ones.

Sorry Mr Cudmore, you are a thug.

BuzzKillington November 09, 2011 11:52 am

You can't really blame Cudmore for the fact Fillol has a glass jaw and went down from a push.

You have to feel sorry for Cudmore, it's not his fault that he's tougher than everyone else. He's no different to someone like ROG, except that when Cudmore lashes out and does something he leaves a trail of pain behind him.

Maybe I'm just mentally ill but I love a good bad guy. If there's ever a Hall of Fame then Cudmore, Botha and formerly Danny Grewcock all deserve a place. Legendary players.

stroudos November 09, 2011 12:44 pm

You are indeed mentally ill, but I know what you mean.

Personally though, I enjoy nothing more than natural rugby justice meted out within the laws of the game. Examples: Doug Howlett on that full-back a few years ago, where the full-back was giving him some shit and Howlett made it his business to smash him every time he saw him after that. Alesana Tuilagi marking Shane Horgan's card and steamrolling him a short while afterwards. And of course, Josh Lewsey slicing Mat Rogers in half after Rogers had given him a little tickle earlier in the game.

As Green Mafia suggests above, how much more satisfied would Tom Selleck have felt if he'd just kept an eye out for Filliol and lined him up later in the game?

Pretzel November 09, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm with you on this one!

beerholder November 09, 2011 12:03 pm

I would have to agree with Buzz here.

If Cudmore had been cited then why wasn't Fillol? His swinging arm started it all in the first place. You can't discriminate based on the size of the player.

stroudos November 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Should have been:

Penalty to Clermont for Filliol being offside.

Yellow for Filliol, for striking the Clermont scrum-half.

Yellow (no more) for Selleck, for striking Filliol.

Pint glass full of piss, vodka, Advocaat, Baileys, tabasco sauce and a raw egg to Filliol for writhing around on the floor like some bloody footballer.

IrishRef November 09, 2011 12:45 pm

aha, so if you contravene the laws, charter and spirit of the game and act in a dangerous manner, if your opponent shakes your hand it's allright then?

cudmore should be seeing an increase in his sanction if the citing officer finds there is a case to answer. Due to his previous

but since Mr Armitage has had his 4th ban in 11 months reduced for "contrition and admitting the charge" I have no faith in the determining of sanctions in rugby. At some point you need to say, no more reductions if you keep appearing before a judicial panel for the same offences.

stroudos November 09, 2011 2:18 pm

Delon Armitage is one dirty mother isn't he! It's a shame because he's a talented player. Too much of a footballer's mentality though.

But I had to laugh when I read this:

"RFU disciplinary chief Judge Jeff Blackett said in an RFU statement: "We accept that both these incidents were reckless and not malicious. However, in relation to the dangerous tackle on Tom Biggs there was the potential for significant injury and for that reason we believe that it was a mid-range entry level offence of six weeks.

"We increased it to eight because of concerns raised by the IRB about injuries caused by dangerous tackles and because of his poor disciplinary record. We then reduced the sanction to five weeks because of his guilty plea, his contrition and the impressive way he conducted himself at the hearing. In relation to the strike to which he also pleaded guilty, we decided that this was a low-end entry offence and for that we imposed a three-week suspension."

Impressive way he conducted himself at the hearing! Well, he's had plenty of practice!!!

Juggernauter November 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Jamie, if you're reading this...kudos for knocking down a scrum half!

Lose the Canadian-tough-lumberjack-shit and focus on rugby, will ya?

Or you'll just me remembered for your indisciplines rather than your rugby.

I say give him a big ban, as he clearly hasn't learned a thing about how to behave on a rugby pitch.

johndoe November 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Why can this man not seem to control his temper? And why does he never seem to square up to his opponent? He always hits an opponent unawares and / or smaller than him. Pathetic.

BuzzKillington November 09, 2011 3:49 pm

I seem to recall him squaring up with both Tchale-Watchou and Paul O'Connell... I'm not sure I'd regard either of those as small!

Dotser November 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Like everyone, you hate when a player punches someone from your own team.
But, as a neutral in this case, I (along with the silent majority) love some nasty edge to rugby (and any sport, actually).

You need guys like Jamie. I'm sure he sacrifices some take home pay, but he's great entertainment for RugbyDump frequenters.

johndoe November 09, 2011 5:09 pm

He punched O'Connell twice in the face when O'Connell wasn't even looking. O'Connell only reacted on the third punch. And then O'Connell beat the crap out of him and made him curl up in a ball on the floor. The funny thing is, Cudmore was a debt collector for drug dealers and he can't even handle himself against a man he got 2 cheap head shots against.

And Watchou, well he came jogging in and Cudmore took an early swing (after he punched a player being held back by another Clermont player and not looking at Cudmore). When they were both on equal footing, Cudmore didn't do a thing. The man is pathetic.

BuzzKillington November 09, 2011 5:29 pm

Whether he won or lost doesn't matter. You said he only picked on little men or attacked people who weren't looking. Cudmore - POC and Cudmore - Watchou were both fair. Hardly Cudmores fault that POC was a little shy to respond.

BuzzKillington November 09, 2011 5:29 pm

Or if you like I also remember him beating up Tim Payne in a fair one

johndoe November 09, 2011 5:45 pm

I wrote "and / or". I'm assuming English isn't your first language, so no problem. Bit of a weird phrase.

He didn't square up to O'Connell and he waited until O'Connell wasn't looking before he hit him.

And Watchou wasn't even going to hit him, although Cudmore's reaction is understandable, but when when Watchou was ready for a punch and they were face to face, Cudmore didn't do anything.

BuzzKillington November 09, 2011 8:10 pm

No, I understand your statement well, I just highlighted it was incorrect. You said he only hits opponents who are smaller than him, not prepared, or a combination of the two. I'm not sure why you would think I misunderstood you?

His fight with POC was a fair one. He grabbed POC and gave him a punch, then another. You can't fault Cudmore. POC was ready, he simply chose not to respond... originally.

The fact is Cudmore is always spoiling for a fight. So to paint him as some sort of bully who is actually scared of people his own size isn't fair at all. If someone is a coward or a bully they aren't going to pick fights with people like POC or Watchou, no matter what the circumstance.

johndoe November 09, 2011 8:30 pm

No, it was correct. "He always hits an opponent unawares and / or smaller than him": he hits them a) unawares b) smaller or c) smaller and unawares (like this video).

No it wasn't. A cheap shot, let alone 2, is not a fair fight. Paul O'Connell was looking at the referee. He wasn't expecting him to hit him.

Cudmore doesn't pick fights. He just takes cheap shots. Did he give POC a chance to fight? No, he punched him twice when he wasn't looking. Did he give Watchou a chance to fight? No he took a big swing (after punching someone in the head who was not ready and being held by another Clermont player) but barely connected and didn't try again when Watchou was ready. Did he give Payne a chance to fight? No, he pushed him over while he was getting up, got on top of him and punched him repeatedly in the head when Payne didn't even take a single swing. Just look at most of his fight clips. He's a coward and a bully.

BuzzKillington November 09, 2011 9:05 pm

What do you mean he wasn't expecting him to hit him? He looked at the referee because Cudmore had already put 2 on his chin. POC isn't retarded, he knew what was coming.

I have no time to argue the semantics as it's obvious you're Irish. But here's the truth - You tried to suggest that Cudmore is some sort of bully who is scared to fight a fair one, I've shown you he isn't.

He didn't sneak up on POC and relentlessly lay into him. He punched him once, waited, punched him twice, waited, punched him a third time, was responded to. In that incident, whether he was right or wrong in punching POC, he hardly sabotaged the bloke! He was relatively fair in that he twice paused, waiting on O'Connell to respond. He didn't grab POC when he wasn't looking and go *bang, bang, bang, bang, bang*.

You act like he runs around sneak-attacking people from behind.

johndoe November 09, 2011 9:36 pm

I haven't looked at the clip for a while so I watched it again. He throws a punch as POC is turning his head. Then he throws another immediately. Then POC responds. 90% of these scuffles don't result in punches and he wasn't watching Cudmore, obviously he didn't know that Cudmore was about to lose his head.

I'm not Irish and you didn't show me that he isn't. In fact, you've just shown the opposite.

I didn't say he snuck up on POC, etc. And he didn't wait in between. And why would he be right to punch O'Connell? POC didn't do anything on that occasion.

I'm guessing you're French or Canadian because some of this stuff you just seem to be making up and you seem to have a different idea of a fair fight to most people.

No, I think he attacks smaller players and / or players who are unaware and all the videos of his fights support me in this. Hard luck mate.

BuzzKillington November 09, 2011 11:42 pm

I'm not saying he has a right to do anything. He was rightfully suspended. What I'm saying is to paint a picture of the bloke as some sort of fake who only picks on little men or people who aren't "aware" is just crap.

You don't have to like the man or his actions, I'm happy for you to say you'd ban him for life. But portraying him as some sort of coward who avoids fair fights with people his own size is complete fantasy.

Watchou is 300 lbs and he was more than ready to go toe-to-toe with him, even if the fight ended quickly and even if he would have got his arse kicked

johndoe November 09, 2011 11:53 pm

No, it's not crap. Look at any of his fights / cheap shots. Those are the circumstances he has always fought in. I'd argue the point further, but the videos of his fights save me the trouble.

Watchou was ready to go toe-to-toe with Cudmore, but that's when Cudmore stopped swinging.

Pretzel November 10, 2011 2:43 am

I think you've lost it.... Cudmore is not scared to dish out his version of punishment REGARDLESS of player size....

In the last scrap you were in did you notify the guy that you were going to try and hit him?

"I say old fellow, I am about to send a right hook to try and clock you on the nose, prepare yourself"

johndoe November 10, 2011 3:12 pm

No need for notification, just no hitting a player half his size or not watching. No cheap, pussy shots. You know? Not sure why you would support that type of fighting.

Pretzel November 10, 2011 4:15 pm

Paul O'Connell was not half his size, AND he was looking...

johndoe November 10, 2011 6:27 pm

I didn't say Paul O'Connell was half his size. The first punch, O'Connell is looking at the floor when Cudmore gives him an uppercut. And by the time O'Connell has turned his head towards Cudmore, the second punch is just about to land. That's about as close as Cudmore has gotten to a fair fight and he ended up curled in a little ball on the floor. Thankfully the referee was there to save him.

BuzzKillington November 10, 2011 11:11 pm

Lol Johndoe thinks Rugby is some sort of upperclass queensbury rules event.

O'Connell was more than prepared for what was coming his way. It's not Cudmores fault that POC CHOSE not to respond, originally.

It's obvious you're deluded in your hatred of Cudmore

johndoe November 11, 2011 5:01 am

Queensbury Rules?

I don't hate Cudmore. I just think he's a pussy. Like his videos show.

johndoe November 09, 2011 5:47 pm

And how was the Tim Payne fight fair? He drags Payne down, then when he's trying to get up he pushes him over then gets on top of him and repeatedly punches him in the head while he's on the floor. He's also 5" taller than Payne. That just supports what I said about him.

johndoe November 09, 2011 5:51 pm

Just watched the video there and that's flat out assault. That's not a fight. At least 5 head shots by Cudmore, 4 pretty hard ones, and I can't see even one by Payne. Complete thuggery and cowardice.

BuzzKillington November 09, 2011 8:14 pm

What are you talking about mate? Payne grabbed Cudmore, and when Cudmore was outmuscling him to the floor you can see Payne attempt to throw a punch/slap(a very girly one as he was being monstered to the floor in the process) on Cudmore.

Cudmore had every right to ground and pound him. Payne asked for it and Cudmore gave it him.

johndoe November 09, 2011 8:35 pm

He pushes Cudmore over, then Cudmore holds him down and pushes him over and punches him in the head. Payne never hit's Cudmore.

Pushing someone over doesn't give you the right to punch them repeatedly in the head when they can't defend themselves on the floor. This isn't MMA.

"Payne is also a prop and fancies himself as a hard man himself. He's probably had more fights in his career than Cudmore has!" - doesn't really have anything do do with that, assuming it is true. Besides, Cudmore was a debt collector. That type of attitude would seem more applicable to him...

BuzzKillington November 09, 2011 9:06 pm

I see it differently. When Cudmore pushes Payne over, you can see Payne make contact with Cudmores face. He makes a poor attempt to strike Cudmore while being pushed to ground.

johndoe November 09, 2011 9:38 pm

Maybe he makes contact (not that I can see it), but there sure as hell isn't a strike or eye gouge or anything dodgy. There was nothing there to warrant repeated punches to the head on a defensless man.

Pretzel November 10, 2011 2:46 am

I think you're watching the wrong sport.... I'm not condoning the fighting, but it happens, if you can't deal with it (i.e. want written warnings before a player decides to scrap) then you should probably stay away...

Players like Cudmore, Botha etc, "lose their heads" Bakkies is often called a thug, but generally he is reacting to something that happens to him, or a team mate... a la Cudmore...

johndoe November 10, 2011 3:08 pm

A fair fight is all I want. No cheap shots or blindsiding opponents.

Pretzel November 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Then watch boxing....in a rugby match you're the majority of the time it will never be "fair"

johndoe November 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Why would I watch boxing? There are few players who fight like this on a regular basis. It's not a problem in the sport. And not every fight has to be completely fair, just no pussy cheap shots or fighting with people smaller like Cudmore.

albingia November 09, 2011 10:10 pm

I see (small) guy issuing a wannabe haymaker and getting the face shove he deserves for that. No big deal to my opinion. The worst i can see is a clown acting as if this was a soccer game.
Is there any law angainst this?
Considering the forward pass can this be the type of "aimed backward but traveling forward through the air pass" that I have learned about here:

IrishRef November 10, 2011 12:46 am

yes, of course there are laws against fighting/punching/striking an opponent albingia.

you'll find them all under law 10.4 with plenty of subsections.

Pretzel November 10, 2011 2:47 am

I think he is referring to laws against diving around like you've been given a strong dose of faggotry...

steak November 10, 2011 3:08 am

If you watched the world cup, Cudmore was very restrained in his discipline while still being a physical forward. Has anyone ever thought he is paid to be an intimidating force on the field and his club doesn't mind him mixing it up every now and then because he is a traditional rough house lock, like Botha etc? If they didn't like what he did, they wouldn't keep renewing his contract. Oh and to 'Mike', who said "no wonder they don't win anything". They won the Top 14 in 2010 and where runners up in 07 08 09.

Pretzel November 10, 2011 4:20 pm

Hmmm thats a good point, I mean his record of being made to walk is pretty high, but if he was that much of a liability he wouldn't get picked, in the first place and his contract would be cancelled or as you said, not renewed...