Ben May nearly scores greatest prop try

Rodney Ah You smashes Alistair Hargeaves

Henry Tuilagi swats Zee Ngwenya away

Sebastien Chabal knocks out Marc Giraud

The old ball in the jersey trick

Jacques Burger's tackling masterclass

Friday Funnies - Alex Grove's freak try

Random great tries from 2008

Ref Romain Poite in front of the kicker

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Peter Stringer commits daylight robbery on James O'Connor

The Wallabies dominated their meeting with the Barbarians this past weekend but one of the rare enjoyable moments for Baa-Baas fans was when Peter Stringer went one better than an attempted charge down, and actually just picked up the ball.

James O'Connor has a bit of an unorthodox pre-kicking routine and it's not the first time he's thrown off the charging opposition. In the Rugby World Cup Quarter Final against South Africa there was a kick that he was preparing for when wing JP Pietersen charged and was told off by referee Bryce Lawrence. The kick missed and he wasn't allowed an opportunity to retake it.

This time against the Barbarians a similar thing occurred, as he made his first move (a subtle foot movement) and Stringer swooped in, got to the ball, took a split second to figure out what to do and then basically just picked it up and jogged off the tunnel for the halftime break.

The look on O'Connor's face was priceless as referee Romain Poite allowed the Irishman's intervention, while the young Wallaby was left planted on the sideline with an empty tee and a perplexed grin. "Going forward we’ll probably (talk to referees) because it has happened to me before," O’Connor said.

"I do it all the time, my little up and down to get my centre posture, if my feet come off the ground that is considered a start…  I’ll have a look at the replay, if that’s the case then it is a fair call. If your feet stay on the ground you’re sweet… I fixed it in the second half anyway.

"I don’t see it as a massive issue, I’ll tweak it in the off season," he added.

We've got tickets up for grabs for the Wallabies' next tour game, against Wales in Cardiff this coming weekend. Enter here now to stand a chance of winning a pair of premier tickets.

Peter Stringer takes a boot to the face

17 Year old James O'Connor scores his first Super 14 try

Ma'a Nonu puts in a huge hit on young Force center

Alessandro Troncon floors Peter Stringer in 2001

Federico Pucciarello tastes Peter Stringers boot

Posted in See it to Believe it

Ash November 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Haha that's just made my day

mise November 29, 2011 11:44 pm

absolutely perfect. That's a wily old fox, eh? One who should be playing somewhere! What is the story with him still at Munster and only 3rd choice, based on age not ability?

Pretzel December 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Yeh I'd agree with the "age not ability" comment. I always find the ball comes out of the rucks a lot quicker when he is around as he is not afraid to dig for it, or stick the boot in, he has an awesome pass on him... I suppose size is his only downfall, players do tend to make a few yards running over him (even if he does eventually bring them down).

stroudos November 29, 2011 11:45 pm

That is superb! I do loathe these long drawn-out kicking set-ups.
Good to see young Bieber take it in good humour though!

VicSoCalRugger November 29, 2011 11:46 pm

now remembering my irb rule book. i thought u can only start to charge down the kicker, after hes starts to make FORWARD movement to the ball. so not when hes waving his arms. not even when he takes a step back. but when he proceeds towards the ball. anyone care to comment?

Rob November 29, 2011 11:59 pm

It's not in the Laws as far as I can see. ... but good that he's not bothered about changing his routine in the off-season. For many, that'd be a massive hit on their ability!

Fettsack November 30, 2011 12:24 am

I didn't catch the game but I was surprised to see O'Connor at number 10. Is he doing good in this position?

RedYeti November 30, 2011 12:40 am

He's played there for Western Force quite a bit I think. Went pretty well, and it'll have to what with Cooper being out for so long now

RedYeti November 30, 2011 12:43 am

Looks like Stringer must have left the try line way before O'Connor started moving his arms and feet... he isn't that quick, and was almost in camera shot when O'Connor first moved. I think the referee had adjuged the kick to take too long, rather than saying he had started his run-up

Stringer 123 November 30, 2011 6:33 pm

I was there at the game. The replay doesn't show the exact moment O'Connor moves his foot, which is when Stringer started the charge-down. Live, it was clear that Stringer thought that O'Connor had started his run-up, and the referee clearly thought this too.

i love bacon November 30, 2011 3:04 am

O'Connor does have a tendency to take a while at the tee, and has gotten away with not kicking it within the allotted minute after the try before. But I don't think that's what happened here.

It's his somewhat irregular routine (as pointed out in the write-up). He does a little shuffle with his feet, shifting his body weight, and then lifts an arm. From back behind the try line, it could look like he's beginning the kick.

The charge is allowed when "the kicker begins the approach to kick or starts to kick", right? But then, "Neither the kicker nor a placer must do anything to mislead their opponents into charging too soon." So I imagine discretion is just left to the referee.

This clip is hilarious. From Stringer's penchant for being a stone in the other team's shoe at every opportunity, to O'Connor's look of total confusion. Great way to end the first half.

tvrdoglavi November 30, 2011 10:02 am

I wish Croatian referees would see this.

Uh... I would block 50% of conversion attempts :)

Pretzel December 02, 2011 7:28 pm

ummm, O'Connor....?? As Stroudos said, that was Justin Bieber...

joeythelemur November 30, 2011 5:40 pm

"i love bacon" has it right; not sure why there's much confusion. O'Connor himself said that it's happened to him before, so there's something in the little hitch he does with his feet that makes it appear that he's starting his kick. We can't see his feet in the clip, but it's obvious O'Connor knew what caused it. The referee sure isn't going to make a stink about it in a match like this.

Loved it, pretty funny stuff.