Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

5 Biggest Hits of the Premiership season

James Haskell's wasp related banter

Huge crunching tackle on USA club rugby

Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

Southland sensational try after big bump

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Cheslin Kolbe dazzling run, no look pass

Joe Marler and his unsual pets

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Samu Manoa and Mike Haywood crunching tackles vs Harlequins

American forward Samu Manoa put in a Man of the Match performance as Northampton Saints dominated Harlequins last Friday. The league leaders went down 24-3 to a Saints performance that was typified by the two tackles featured below.

Northampton outplayed Quins with a physical and disciplined approach that was too much for the visitors to handle at Franklins Gardens. US Eagle Samu Manoa was dominant in the tight loose and put in this crunching hit late in the game, adding to his growing reputation among the Saints fans.

Not too long ago he was an amateur player in the US but since joining Saints grown in stature and seems to improve with every game, shrugging off the pressure of professional rugby.

"Like my dad says, 'you got to take care of yourself, practice hard, play hard, and hit hard''. Everybody’s watching you, so you got to go hard," he said recently.

Replacement Mike Haywood followed the same mantra and it was fitting that the game ended with another crunching tackle as Northampton never let up and continued to knock Quins backwards right up to the final whistle.

We're working with the Premiership to find the best way to streamline highlights for you, so patience is appreciated as we may experiment a bit over the next few weeks.

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

Bods January 12, 2012 8:27 pm

FIRST! Great hit!

Anon January 12, 2012 8:36 pm

If only rugby was bigger here in the states, and we could get more athletes like Samu involved

punisher January 12, 2012 8:38 pm

far from "textbook" as the commentator describes it

Full Back January 13, 2012 8:32 am

I agree, Haywoods head should have been on the other side, put his neck on the line there! Looked good though.
Love the "fillings jangle" comment!

Pretzel January 12, 2012 8:51 pm

If you take the first and third letter of the first word and switch it with the second you get "Manu Samoa" instead of "Samu Manoa"

......is that coincidence?!?

Aedaphon January 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Probably not... Manu Tuilagi's full name is Manusamoa Tuilagi.

In Tuilagi's case it was after the Samoan national team, wouldn't be surprised if this was the same kind of thing

you know it January 12, 2012 9:11 pm

is he a samoan tho?

Rugbydump January 12, 2012 10:00 pm

He's American (born and raised there), of Tongan heritage

Juggernauter January 12, 2012 10:36 pm

RD, America is a CONTINENT, which has 35 countries. One of them is the United States of America, where Samu is from.

Just stop calling the US "America". It's really annoying.

Cheers!

jackterrier January 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Mod called Manu an American, as in his nationality, not "America" as a place.

FYI condescending prescriptives are rather annoying as well, especially when they're wrong.

Juggernauter January 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Err... so that would make Manu an American from... oh right the country of America!

I wasn't being condescending, just pointing out a mistake. Feel free to point mine too.

Kudos for the work RD.

Andrew Bates January 12, 2012 11:57 pm

You say "America is a CONTINENT" and that he can't be named American as such.

Does that mean if I were born in Europe, Africa or Asia someone couldn't European, African or Asian, respectively, (if my ethnic characteristics matched or we left those aside)? Or Australian, if I were born in Australia?

Andrew Bates January 13, 2012 12:01 am

Correction ... Does that mean if I were born in Europe, Africa or Asia someone couldn't ***call me*** European, African or Asian, respectively, ...

8? No. Justin Bieber? No. Though James O'Connor, yeah, he's one the Aussies' best. What's with the ad hominem?

Juggernauter January 13, 2012 12:28 am

Thanks Poccio for stating the facts...

Guys this was just blown out of proportion, I'm from Chile so I'm chilean, just as the people of France are french and the guys born in the US are United States citizens (jeez it's not my fault their country doesn't have a goddamn name).

It's just really annoying that US citizens call themselves "americans" as such, as America is the whole continent (and North America, Central America and South America all form one big continent, which is called "America", you can google it). I'm first chilean, then american.

If you were from , say, Spain, and the portuguese called themselves "europeans", and not "portuguese" wouldn't that be annoying? I mean, not every "american" is from USA.

Okay, so that would be it. Brilliant tackles by the way.

i love bacon January 13, 2012 1:51 am

You're talking about demonyms. In English (and in other languages, as well), the demonym for a United States citizen is, in fact, "American". Claro que somos todos Americanos ya seamos de chile o de los eeuu o de cualquier pais - y, en español, tenemos el provecho d tener una palabra para nosotros de los EEUU: "Estadounidense". Pero inglés es diferente y el gentilico, por definición, es "American".

The Green Mafia January 13, 2012 2:24 am

Adrew Bates, let me just see if I got it straight. You are arguing that a person with the characteristics of the indigenous people in the continent of Australia (you ARE talking of Europe, Africa, Asia and... Australia, right?) can be designated as Australian?

A) The continent in which the country called Australia is actually called Oceania, so the expressions you were looking for are Oceanea and (don't really know) Oceanians.

B) If you ever think of saying out loud that all persons with the racial traits of the original inhabitants of Australia are to be designated as Australians in front of an Aborigene (the correct designation for said people), please contact me, so I can watch

C) I guess "Live by the pedantry, die by the pedantry" goes both ways after all. Sucks, doesn't it?

Pretzel January 13, 2012 4:01 am

Holy **** guys. Stop blowing all of this out of proportion, you're all acting like a bunch of kids... Lets face it, we all know what someone means when they say "American" so lets not all get to pent up about it eh!

As for the green mafia... if "red indians" or "injuns" etc, are known as "Native Americans" then surely Aborigine's in OUR idea of the word are "native Australians" even if they call themselves Aborigines...

This started by someone misreading what RD said and getting his pants in a twist...Lets just end it..

Andrew Bates January 13, 2012 5:42 am

A - there ain't no such continent as Oceania. That's just something made up for sports groupings - go back to your football forums.

B - so Aborigines (note the spelling) aren't Australians? I'd like to see you say that to them; though, if you want to tell New Zealanders they're part of the same continent as Australians, well, I'd like to see that first (Australasia isn't a continent either, it's a grouping used for business purposes).

C - Yip, had I been holding myself out as one. I was merely pointing out Juggernauter should not be so pedantic, particularly when he was incorrect.
That said, I'd concede that in Spanish-speaking countries (according to the Wikipedia article I linked to), they still think of NA and SA as one continent known as 'America' (albeit known in English as 'the Americas'). Still, this is an English-speaking forum.

Andrew Bates January 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Juggernauter,

North America and South America are two separate continents (not sure where Central America fits in).

Live by the pedantry, die by the pedantry.

poccio January 12, 2012 11:59 pm

I agree that it doesn't make sense but that's the only word there is...you can't say united statesian, you could say us citizen or you have to say which state he is from (IE he's Texan -not that he is, I have no idea) but everybody say's American to mean us citizen just like in the early part of the century (and still in some parts of the world, for example in Italy) English was used for any UK citizen and England was/is used interchangeably for Britain. The point is if other americans (from chile to canada) feel offended they should get over it and be grateful they have a word that actually defines them!!

Rugbydump January 13, 2012 10:25 am

Seriously? Strangest discussion ever.

Awesome tackle by the big American though.

Vaiz January 14, 2012 5:19 am

stop calling the US "America". It's really annoying

US is short for USA. A stands for America. United States forms one America. Australia have States. And they too are United. Therefore...it is also fair to say United States of Australia...hahaha

Juggernauter January 12, 2012 11:57 pm

Hmm dude if you really believe that.. I must asume you are an 8 year old or a Justin Bieber fan...

johndoe January 15, 2012 7:16 pm

Juggernauter, you are being ridiculously pedantic. Are you serious? Do you have the same issue with people from Britain being called British or should I say that they are citizens of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland every time I refer to them. Please shut up and get back to some real issues. Absolute idiocy from you. Unusual.

Juggernauter January 13, 2012 10:30 am

Haha yeah I agree. Sorry if I sounded pedantic but I'm just sick of guys from USA calling themselves "americans" and saying "God bless America" and stating that Obama is "the president of America".

It's just that. I'll just presume that we are in one of those days of the month in which some commentators are super sensitive.

Pretzel January 13, 2012 3:07 pm

"Awesome tackle by the big American though".. he says, adding more fuel to the fire...

moddeur January 13, 2012 2:10 pm

Come on man, you should rejoice instead. Imagine if John Cabot's expedition in 1497 had decided the naming of the continent, you'd be called the Cabotans. And if Cabot hadn't had his name anglicized, you'd be the Cabotonians.
So being called Americans isn't so bad, I'm telling you!

Full Back January 14, 2012 11:50 am

..if that's all you have to be annoyed about, you lead a very privileged life!

Canadian content January 12, 2012 10:33 pm

Both tackles were huge and the result of perfect timing, well played.

I would not call either far from textbook as the punisher denotes above, however, I will say this.

In the second tackle, Haywood has his head of the wrong side of the ball carriers body and thus he absorbs a good part of the hit on his head and neck. I am sure many readers will question my courage and manhood for pointing this out, but although this type of hit appears to cause more damage to the ball carrier, in the end, it causes more accumulative damage to the tackler.

In the end, perfectly legal and a good hit, however, I wouldn't want my kid emulating this style as it could be potentially dangerous.

Matt January 13, 2012 1:22 pm

I'm not sure I agree that he put his head on the wrong side of the ball-carrier's body (I notice Full-back made a similar comment). He perhaps had his head closer in to the ball-carrier's body than with a "classic" tackle, which is what leads to his head absorbing some of the impact (and causes a greater impact on the ball-carrier), but I think if his head were actually on the *other* side of the ball-carrier's body it would be more dangerous, not less.

Perhaps you just meant that his head was too close in and I'm being too literal?

Full Back January 14, 2012 11:42 am

@Matt, as a rule if the ball carrier is coming from your right, you should aim to hit him with your left shoulder. What happens here is that it goes well and so it's a huge hit on the ball carrier, if the carrier had time to dip his torso and put in a barge he could have done some damage to the guys neck.
I'm don't understand how you think it would be more dangerous this way...it's a question of avoiding weight and impact going towards your neck.
The only "danger" if he put his head on the other side in this tackle is that he may have lost some impact...I'd rather risk that than my neck...but then again I don't have a forwards neck ! ;)

Matt January 16, 2012 11:50 am

Looked at this again and you're right - I hadn't noticed how much the ball-carrier was drifting across the pitch. I had thought that it was the ball-carrier who was running mostly straight down the pitch and it was the tackler who came in from an angle (in order to hit him on his blind-side).

Matthew January 13, 2012 12:40 am

They were even better live at the game :-)

Linguist January 13, 2012 1:01 am

Juggernauter you are from Chile. You are called a Chilean, because that is the demonym for the people of Chile. Chile is in SOUTH America, so you can also be called a SOUTH American, because that is the demonym for the people of South America.

Samu Manoa is from the United States of America. He is called an American because that is the demonym for the USA. The USA is in NORTH America, so he can also be called a NORTH American, because that is the demonym for the people of North America.

It's the English language, that's how it works. There is no demonym for people of both continents in English - we call them 'people of the Americas'.

Europe and Asia is the same. The modern meaning of the proper noun 'Eurasia' refers to the area where Europe and Asia meet, the steppes. The demonym for someone from there is 'Eurasian'; the term does NOT refer to everyone from both Europe and Asia.

Sankeor January 13, 2012 2:05 am

Sorry dude we're on RD, so I'm annoyed to go on with the debate, but I can't stand reading false statements on the net.
First, officially there are only 5 continents on Earth (America, Europe, Asia and Oceania).
Secondly, Eurasian may sometimes refer to what you say, for practical reasons, but Eurasia=Europe+Asia, not only the place where the 2 continents meet.
And thirdly... well, I think it's a bit insulting for Juggernauter to be told from a foreigner (I presume) where he lives and how it's called.

Sankeor January 13, 2012 2:22 am

*I meant inhabited continents

Full Back January 13, 2012 8:44 am

@Sankeor, I see and agree with your point, but given the level of argument, and it's pedantic nature I think you should list 5 continents when pointing out that there are 5 inhabited continents. (Assuming that you're aware of Africa I'm hardly pointing it out as a sign of ignorance.) :D
While it must be annoying for Juggernauter to have someone else tell him how his race is referred to, I should point out that he started it with what is really a pointless statement. If the general term for US citizans is American then so be it, I've never heard of a Canadian getting riled up about it, in fact they too refer to people from the states as Americans.

Full Back January 13, 2012 8:46 am

*citizens
**please don't get pedantic on the term "race", I took a shortcut...shoot me! :)

Linguist January 16, 2012 11:58 am

You'll note I specifically stated 'modern meaning', to distract from the former supercontinent called Eurasia. Nobody uses 'Eurasia' to describe the modern continents of Europe and Asia as one single mass.

Why is it insulting for Juggernauter to be told so by a foreigner? He is Chilean, his first language (I presume) is not English. Since this is a discussion about ENGLISH semantics, then the fact that my first language is English and his is not means that I have every right to advise on this matter. Whether the argument is different in Spanish or Quechua or whatever else they might speak in Chile, in English an 'American' refers specifically to a person from the USA. Fact.

AachenSaints January 13, 2012 3:17 am

Great to see these "fringe" players pulling their weight. Going to be especially important with 8 Saints players in the EPS.

Colombes January 13, 2012 11:11 am

2 textbook tackles!
quite refreshing after these last hair-pulling and spear tackles ;)

D-Matt January 13, 2012 11:20 am

Two really good tackles, but I hate the "celebration" after that, especially on the second one.
They look as if they just scored a try. It's not american football, show some humility.

saintsman January 13, 2012 1:56 pm

The reason for the celebration on the last tackle is that is was the last play of game, so it was a game ending tackle.

Matthew January 13, 2012 11:12 pm

Not really sure why Quins were playing on at that point (other than pride) because they were too far behind for even a losing bonus point.

BuzzKillington January 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Strong, impressive tackling. I wouldn't say either are "enormous" or "massive" hits, just very well timed.

Love the team hyping up after the tackles, great to see professionalism developing in the game again. Forwards have smacked each others arses and gotten rowdy after a good scrum for decades, players do it after a tackle and all of a sudden it's the end of decency in Rugby as we know it? Don't make me laugh.

Players celebrating big plays will become common place because science shows it helps performance. As opposed to a team of players non-chalantly walking about hands on hips after an important play because it's more "humble". Yank Football is miles ahead of Rugby in this regard, League to a lesser extent. There's a lot of science to it though, I'm going to see if I can find the study I read about this

It should help growth too. Kids seeing players enjoying themselves in games will also be more likely to take an interest in rugby.

Full Back January 14, 2012 11:47 am

"yank football is miles ahead"...I guess it depends what you're into.
NFL and League are different games and there are those of us who like that there's a difference. Rather than trying to change rugby ppl who prefer those sports should simply follow them...each to his own really.
I have kids and I like the humility that rugby in it's present state teaches

Pretzel January 15, 2012 1:49 am

I disagree, hyping up a big tackle makes it look like a one off... walking away quietly makes it seem like you've done better...

If you like American Football, or league then go play it, personally I don't see why things need to change. I find fun in rugby without hype, it still attracts lots of attention and fans... so why change?

mise January 14, 2012 12:11 am

does it cut both ways Buzz? Northampton are well into it, but are flattering to deceive atm. CF HC final last yr and against Munster this year.

Ultra hyping after a single tackle, swan dives, loads of tattoos, celeb girlfriends and lifestyles....its all a bit ott. Thou of course the hit bit can be good for adrenalin etc.

There is sth v superior about hammering someone and not even getting animated about it...

johndoe January 15, 2012 7:17 pm

Second tackle is an example of why people need to relax about the "wrapping" issue. He clearly went for the wrap but missed by a mile as he hit his opponent so hard. Nothing he could do. Great tackle.

Colchester101 January 16, 2012 7:53 pm

he is also a 20 year old who is only just making his way into the team so they were more congratulating him. i know mike personally and he is in no way arrogant like that

the boss January 27, 2012 8:12 pm

tongan? i see a samoan tattoo