Female Streaker has no regrets

Streaker starts mass brawl after tackle

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

The Human Hurdle Attempt

Step and unbelievable dummy sets up try

Southland sensational try after big bump

Just how fast is Carlin Isles?

Monday, February 20, 2012

Rotherham beat Doncaster with dramatic extra time wonder kick

On Saturday afternoon 4000 fans witnessed an incredible finish to a Championship game at Castle Park in South Yorkshire as Rotherham Titans snatched a 15-14 win over Doncaster Knights with an extra-time penalty kick.

What added to the moment was that flyhalf Garry Law had been having a bit of a poor time of it, having failed to slot three previous kicks. With time up and the kick a fair distance out, his strike appeared to have sailed wide before the strong crossfield wind took over.

The ball flew safely through the middle, giving Rotherham the most dramatic of victories over their rivals, their first win away at Castle Park in nine attempts, but their second league win over Doncaster this season.

"I’m full of relief having missed a couple of kicks in the first half and then in the second, the conversion toppled off the tee," said Law.

"I was standing there and the wind was coming right to left. I could then see the big flag in the corner and the wind was blowing left to right. I did not know what the direction was and when I kicked it, I thought it was too far to the left.

"It was embarrassing but then it just took off and swung out. Actually, I thought it was going to hit the bar, but it went through. I guess, I’m really relieved."

Below is the final kick in a rehashed video of poor quality. We'll hopefully get a better version for you soon, but for now this will do. Credit to those who took the time to capture the moment for us.

Nick Mallett's son wins car with crossbar challenge

Ulster snatch victory from the Dragons with classic finish

Wallabies pip the Springboks in another Tri Nations thriller

The Hurricanes and Sharks nailbiter from Wellington

Stirling Mortlock wins it for the Wallabies in 2000

The Dan Carter freak conversion

Posted in See it to Believe it

Pretzel February 20, 2012 8:07 pm

I like the roar that came up from the crowd as that kick was going to sail off hideously wide... only to be semi-silenced when it drifted back in!

Brilliant to see!

johndoe February 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Nice hearing the jeering cut short by a successful kick.

i love bacon February 20, 2012 11:30 pm

I don't want to take away from the kick, which was incredible, but it's stuff like this On Saturday afternoon 4000 fans witnessed an incredible finish to a Championship game at Castle Park in South Yorkshire that sticks out most to me.

Here in the US, we're lucky to get that number at a friggin international 15's match, let alone a third-tier domestic competition. 40,000 people regularly turn up to Division I college football games; if 10% of that showed up for a similar-level rugby match, I'd have a heart attack.

Anyway, like I said, great kick. Close to that Dan Carter magic kick from years past. It's great to see things like that happen in a game - million-in-one chances that actually pan out.

MikeC February 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Fair point, but even here development is difficult - 4,000 is an exception, championship attendances are normally c1-2,000. Its not a whole lot given these are meant to be fully professional clubs, and they need to build modern stadiums holding 10,000 to allow promotion - only one club in the championshiop has a stadium big enough (Bristol) and a potential fanbase even to fill it...

I Love Eggs February 21, 2012 11:46 am

Third-Tier, This is Championship so it Second-Tier, Anyway freakish kick! They was lucky with the wind blowing their way.

i love bacon February 21, 2012 4:00 pm

So it is. I was confused with Doncaster League, which plays in Championship 1, which is league's 3rd tier. My mistake.

Canadian content February 21, 2012 6:56 pm

great clip, nice to see more stuff from below the elite level

Hugh Carrow February 22, 2012 10:34 am

Reminds me of the computer game 'Kicking King'! Unreal movement.

donny neil February 22, 2012 6:49 pm

Lucky kick!!!!!! After a match ruined by bad refing thats all we needed.