Closing montage from Heineken Cup final

England beat Baby Boks in JWC2014 final

Huge hit by Tonga in Pacific Nations Cup

Southland sensational try after big bump

Two casual tryscorers shown up

Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

Maxime Machenaud carries Heini Adams!

Johan Goosen huge drop goal on debut

Thursday, March 01, 2012

The big hits, try savers, and collisions from England vs Wales

England and Wales' Six Nations encounter at Twickenham on Saturday was one of the more intense games of the weekend. With the Triple Crown at stake, and of course bragging rights, neither side gave an inch. Here's a look at some of the rough stuff.

The biggest hit of the game was probably winger George North's tackle on new England flyhalf Owen Farrell. It was an awesome sequence, as young Farrell showed he can produce bits of magic out of nowhere, before North said hang on, we can't have that, and flattened him.

It was included in the highlights of the match so that's why you haven't seen it on here sooner. Rather than feature it on it's own, it makes sense to show all the good stuff together, including a few big charges from another young beast, England center Manu Tuilagi.

Tuilagi, alongside tackling machine Brad Barritt, gave them good go-forward ball as he bumped defenders out of the way and actually came close to scoring on one occasion, had it not been for an incredible tackle from Welsh captain Sam Warburton.

That's in the video too, as well as a few other collisions, charges, and tackles, including Leigh Halfpenny's excellent trysaver on David Strettle at the end. While it didn't look technically perfect, he put his body on the line, coming off worse for wear but saving the day for his side.

If you enjoy thie video, feel free to leave a comment, and share this post with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+

Song: Geraldine by Glasvegas

Wales claim the Triple Crown with nail biting win

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

Wade_Mathew March 01, 2012 7:23 pm

i was there...electrifying

Anonymous March 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Where was the strettle tap tackle?!

Andre March 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Tuilagi: OMG OMG I'm gonna score!!

Warburton: hummm no...

Toby March 01, 2012 8:12 pm

Who's bright idea was it to set this video to Glasvegas????? Dreadful dreadful band - and neither English nor Welsh...

brecor March 01, 2012 8:47 pm

quite fitting then, no?

Fettsack March 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Good video! Superb tackle from Warburton on Tuilagi!
On Warburton falling badly from a line out, I thought it was from England but actually the English player only helps him down a little. It's the lifter's fault for throwing him in the air instead of a normal lift. He's two feet higher than Lydiate's hands.

cool calm and collected March 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Now tht is what i call a test match!!

If ever there was a question asking to define a tests match, tht would be it! Outstanding!

beaver March 23, 2012 12:34 am

Heres another outstanding match from a few years ago but i remember it like it was yesterday!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heoO_5MvZ0w

GraceOfBod March 01, 2012 9:08 pm

Sam Warburton on Tuilagi possibly one of the best tackles of all time. If sam goes high its a try, so he takes his ankles. Great tackle.

Gaspar March 02, 2012 2:36 pm

You're probably right sir.

Pretzel March 01, 2012 9:37 pm

I'm sorry but 1:10 look at the tackle from that angle... The Welsh player does not appear to "lift" in a sense, more pull his arms in tight to "wrap" the player (and let's all face it, "attempting to wrap" is one of the biggest bitching topics on RD). The Welsh player then drives Farrell backwards (slightly) and Farrell puts his elbow down.

I am not 100% on the Horizontal rule, but Farrell is beyond the horizontal at 1:12... had he not put his elbow down I'm sure he'd have landed on his shoulders...

Now to me that tackle was brilliant, well timed, well executed, and "smashing" but is it possible that tackle could be card worthy? or Penalty worthy? according to recent rulings?

I remember the commentators mentioning how it was perfect but having a little dig with the current laws saying it was close to horizontal...

Anyway, some brilliant tackles on here, Warburtons tackle on Tuilagi was brilliant!

Grugby March 02, 2012 2:27 am

He brings the player to the ground all the while wrapped in the tackle, without any intent of driving him head 1st into the ground, it was all momentum from the force of the collision. I don't believe there was anything wrong with that tackle, it was technically perfect.

With the strength of a lot of the players and the intensity of the games these days there's gonna be huge hits, it's all part of the game. I agree that spear tackles should not be allowed but I think before a ref issues a red for that type of tackle, the video ref should be consulted. In the heat of it all, it may seem worse than it actually was-i.e Warburton in the RWC semi.

Pretzel March 02, 2012 3:21 am

Well I agree in principle with what you say, but it has been stated by others a lot that intent is not a factor at all..

Therefore someone REALLY trying to hurt someone can be judged exactly the same as someone who accidently tipped someone,...

I suppose what I am getting at is when we saw Ferris (I think it was) get a yellow for his apparent tip tackle, it really didn't look any worse than this tackle...

Both tackles (Ferris tackle and the welsh players tackle) in my eyes were totally legitimate, however my opinions count for nothing when it comes to the laws, so I was wondering whether this is actually borderline illegal according to the laws or at least getting close to being illegal, I've yet to really get a clear cut definition of a dangerous tip/spear/whatever tackle out of quite a few similar tackles:

This one
Warburtons world cup tackle
Ferris tackle
Bradley davis?!?!? (yellow card against ireland)

stroudos March 02, 2012 10:51 am

Pretzel, you must be seriously bored if you really want to discuss the North tackle. It's a perfect tackle in every sense.

The overall principle is if you lift a player you're responsible for his landing. North has practically caressed Farrell to the ground. Look how low North's body is and all his weight is on the lower half of Farrell's body.

Pretzel March 02, 2012 3:57 pm

I have no gripes with Norths tackle Stroudos, I believe that tackle was perfect and was cracking to see! I have gripes with the current laws...

As I previously stated is there not something where the player must not go beyond the horizontal mark? And really as I said Farrell did go beyond the horizontal mark...

I know your stance on tackles like these and I agree with them, however my views and opinions of the game and the laws do not always go hand in hand. For instance I am all for raking the hell out of someone lying in the way... the laws on the other hand appear to be against that these days...

Pretzel March 02, 2012 4:03 pm

Ok, I read the following on the BBC news about Bradley Davis tackle:

"The player lifted his opponent beyond a horizontal position but did not bring him to the ground safely contrary to Law 10.4(j) and the IRB's particular emphasis on this aspect of the game"

I suppose that sort of clears it up, because BD dropped the Irish player it was bad, but because North sort of "placed" Farrell it was ok...

Sorry about that guys, I just wanted a little more clarification on the horizontal bit of the laws. As I must reiterate I have NO gripes with this tackle and would not complain (about the legality) if I was on the receiving end of it anyway! I was merely trying to connect it to the laws, some of which I am not too impressed with these days.

Pink Flying Deathmon March 01, 2012 9:44 pm

I thought the same when I first saw it. The number 6 throws him in the air, moves away and lets him fall to the ground and then has the stones to call foul on the English players.

Other than that, great exciting game.

Juggernauter March 01, 2012 9:55 pm

I can't believe how Leigh Halfpenny has grown as a player. I remember him 5 years ago, a little, skinny kid playing for Cardiff, and now he must be the in form fullback along with Israel Dagg. He's risen his game in every aspect, and he's a reflex of what's been going on in Wales.

Also, North... phew, what a player. Just unstoppable in attack or defence, and has a rugby brain too.

This Welsh side left me dubious after the World Cup -after all, they lost against both the Springboks and the Wallabies, and France, and defeated Namibia, Fiji, Samoa an Ireland, clearly inferior rivals- but now they are coming of age. Exciting stuff lies up ahead

Goldi March 02, 2012 11:31 am

Leigh Halfpenny < Israel Dagg.. Halfpenny might have had a couple of good games but come on.. classic NH overhype (I am NH). The bbc are great at that.. always comparing Farrell to Wilkinson and claiming Fofana would be player of the championship after one game. The trivial boring build up.. it actually makes my stomach churn.

Juggernauter March 04, 2012 12:44 am

Haha yeah fair point. I'm SH myself so that's kinda funny... Anyway, both FBs had a great world cup, and maybe Dagg is peerless on the attacking side, while he is solid defensively, Halfpenny imo is rock solid in defence and a constant threat in attack.

Just enjoying the rugby really!

XR1 March 01, 2012 10:20 pm

I dont understand this Wales adoration...as Juggernaut said they really didnt do anything at the world cup except beat ireland. They are a decent side made to look very good by the terrible standard of the 6 nations this season...6 extremely average teams..bar France on their day, maybe Ireland when they 'click' once every year and Wales aparently. Why are the Welsh provinces so terrible in all competitions if their international team is so amazing?

Top_Rugby March 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Didn't show much of Farrell/Barrett/Tuilagi on Jamie Roberts.. takes a lot to bully Roberts off the pitch at half time..

stroudos March 01, 2012 11:06 pm

Definitely. They really did an effective job of shutting him down didn't they. Reminiscent of the time Joe Melonhead Worseley was singularly tasked with chopping Roberts down.

The difference is that now you can neutralise Roberts but they can turn to a load of other hard-hitting strike runners - North, Cuthbert, Davies, Faletau...

stroudos March 01, 2012 11:03 pm

North's tackle on Farrell was perfect. No need for any debate. The only people at fault there are Farrell's England team-mates for being completely fucking invisible when he looked left and right for any sign of a support runner.

Similarly the only people at fault for Warburton falling from that lineout are his lifters, who simply dropped him. Looks to me like Robshaw has very quickly realised he was likely to get done for it so took a "dive" himself. I can't condone that sort of thing but reckon he might have saved himself from a yellow card, which in my opinion would have been unfair.

Final comment from me: when Dave Strettle was mouthing off to the press the other day about benefit of the doubt etc, he should have been having a go at Mike Brown for giving that pass so early, allowing the Welsh defenders to shut him down.

Top_Rugby March 01, 2012 11:18 pm

Yep. As good a player as he is, Brown was completely at fault, he could have given Strettle a stroll in at the corner had he taken a couple more paces.. all credit to Halfpenny's commitment mind..

Canadian content March 01, 2012 11:18 pm

If there was something wrong with North's tackle on Farrell, I don't want to watch rugby anymore. Yes Farrell had to protect himself, but aren't all ball carriers required to?

Warburton's tackle was simply outstanding, this was by far the best northern hemisphere test match I've seen in a while.

I don't think Wales are world beaters yet, otherwise they would have won the world cup, but they are playing some great rugby and certainly have assembled an incredible team. I think their sevens program must be given alot of credit as well, for grooming young players.

North is a beast and will be a force for years to come.

AK-NZ March 01, 2012 11:38 pm

Yea I also think this has to be one of the more exciting and intense 6 nations matches I've seen for a wee while. The determination was visible from both sides, and I'm really impressed with the way Wales is developing into an even greater threat. It also appears that England can look forward to bigger and brighter things with the talent they have in this squad. I can't wait to see a really dominant English side again. If only they used their backs a little more and scored a few more tries ;) However, I think credit goes to the Welsh defense in this match at least, as they drifted and scrambled brilliantly.

Also, how good is Warburton? Quickly becoming one of my favourite players. His tackle was perfect in every sense. It won't be long until he's the premier openside in the world (if he isn't close to that already).

Cheers for the highlights reel RD.

Ross March 01, 2012 11:45 pm

Totally agree, cracking game. Plenty of good, physical rugby and two sides sweating blood for the badge. 2 things however. Firstly, the Warburton line-out drop. Even though Lydiate does leave him go, Robshaw cuts across into him. If he didn't cut across, Warburton would have dropped back into Lydiate's hands and not gone arse over tit. Not great line-out technique, but a penalty none the less.

Secondly, What was Strettle thinking? Even though, as mentioned, Brown passes to early, why does Strettle straighten his line up and try to run through Halfpenny when he could have gone for the corner. There was at least 5-6 metres outside him to the touchline. Could have easily slid early or gone in low to get the try.

That aside, awesome game. Wales are grinding the results and England look as though their building for the future with some decent players. Roll on Ireland v France this weekend!

cool calm and collected March 02, 2012 7:43 pm

Totally agree with your comments on Strettle. He had at least a good 5 yards to work with and yet he straigtened, BIZZARE!, suppose he thought he could run over Leigh Halfpenny (certainley got that wrong). I reckon Strettle had the pace to just get in, in the corner, although in saying that it would have been very close!.

Blew1 March 01, 2012 11:50 pm

How on Earth wasn't Chris Robshaw not yellow carded or worse for pulling Warburton down from the lineout!? That's shocking!! He didn't even try to make it look like an accident!!
The IRB's been going on and on about spear tackles but surely that's worse? He's 5/6 feet up in the air!!! Far worse than a spear tackle in my opinion!

Ruggernut March 02, 2012 12:50 pm

I 100% agree. He's much higher than in a spear tackle and therefore far more dangerous.

Fettsack March 03, 2012 7:40 pm

As I said it earlier, it looked like Robshaw pulled Warburton down in the lineout but looking closely, this is entirely Lydiate's fault (Wales 6). Instead of just lifting Warburton he threw him in the air and you can see his ass is easily two feet above Lydiate's hands.
Not only does he throw him but he doesn't do any effort to land him safely. It's very dangerous for his teammate, as a jumper I know you need to have confidence in the lifters to help you down safely when something's gone wrong.

flyingpepper March 02, 2012 12:17 am

Blew1 - think you need to watch again, the welsh lifters let go of him and plus threw him up, the knee was past the head. the back ones isn't even holding on to him when Robshaw touches him, great teamwork.

Had to love the commentator at the very end, with off 80 mins gone, "which way will they try and win it or draw it"... think you will find England at that point could only ever draw

stroudos March 02, 2012 11:00 am

The commentator Eddie Butler is Welsh, so he's hardly being cocky. If you listen carefully, there's a pause after "win it", which is Butler correcting himself.

Pretzel March 02, 2012 12:30 am

Is RD getting a sudden influx of trolls lately? More and more comments seem to be completely ridiculous...

Kettlerugby March 02, 2012 1:46 am

Sorry but the Welsh lineout lifters just through Warburton up and let go! The England boys didnt pull him down...definitely not a penalty to England. Despite his amazing talent, I would hate for Warburton to turn into a McCaw i.e. can do no wrong on referees eyes.

Kettlerugby March 02, 2012 1:46 am

*definitely not a penalty to Wales !

nsgvna March 02, 2012 10:02 am

I'm Welsh: there was no way that the line-out incident was England's fault. And the fact that some Welsh players told Warburton to "milk it" is pretty depressing and says a lot about him that he didn't. I thought we'd got rid of that behaviour after Halfpenny forced out Lee Byrne from the side.
And Canadian Content is right on. If you can't do tackles like on Farrell, then we might as well play badminton.
As much as I love beating England, it's good to see them with a young team concentrating on rugby instead of their egos. Lancaster has to get the job.

stroudos March 02, 2012 10:55 am

By the way, Mr Dump - I'm sure I speak on behalf of the majority in saying this is exactly the type of clip we all come to this site to see!

Awesome.

Never mind the tries and all that boring kicking the ball between posts rubbish, let's see the big tackles. This game really lent itself to an RD compilation, defined as it was on solid defence and big hits.

Hats off to you mate, please keep up the great work.

filth March 02, 2012 11:04 am

I've nearly fainted at some of the claims about these tackles. There is NOTHING wrong with these tackles. Rugby IS NOT a girls game. There is nothing wrong with a bit of toughness in rugby. Get over it.

Guy March 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Well, actually it IS also a girls game...don't be a sexist!!!!! ;-)

No really, I don't think a lot of blokes on this site would like to see the highlights of the women's matches here but the technical end overall level and commitment of women rugby is quite high. In my opinion off course.

Ruggernut March 02, 2012 12:54 pm

In the words of Francois Peineaar "Dancing is a contact sport, Rugby is a collision." Great hits in this video all of them legal. A pleasure to watch and a real good test match.

Arfur March 02, 2012 1:34 pm

The only problem with Peinaar's quote is that it was used in an attempt to exonerate Warburton in the WC Semi, something which in the cold light of day no-one should have attempted to do as he dumped the player on his neck.

I don't want the hard elements taken out the game and loved North's hit on Farrell but anything which risk injury to the neck must be taken out.

Ruggernut March 03, 2012 1:01 pm

I would disagree. In rugby league, tip tackles (such as Warburtons) are legal so why should they be so outlawed in another sport? Obviously driving someone head first into the ground isn't good at all, but going slightly over the horizontal or dropping someone should be allowed. If not, then there should be a harsher punishment for pulling someone down from a lineout.

keenbeen13 March 04, 2012 12:48 am

Tip tackles aren't legal in rugby league. Anything that goes past horizontal is penalised. There seem to be less grey area tip tackles in league than union.

Ruggernut March 05, 2012 5:06 pm

They definatly are legal. After the game, one of the French coaches even said 'it was a great rugby league tackle but we aren't playing rugby league.' And all rugby league pundits even said that the best tackle of the world cup was Sam Warburton's.

Guy March 02, 2012 1:17 pm

It's been a long time since the last time I've seen everybody (North and South) this raving enthousiastic about a test match. And I couldn't agree more!

This clip is fabulous. And there was even a lot more exciting stuff going on throughout the match... Great stuff!!

Colombes March 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Plenty of good tackles in this video, but how people can consider North tackle as a tip tackle? he brought him on the ground in the rules and never let him fall.
Concerning Pienaar quote "dancing is a contact sport, rugby is a collision" we all agree. but the embarassing thing is that it was to excuse a deserved red card (ps: warburton) ... Would we listen the same quote if a french player had made this tackle? Certainly not ;)

Pretzel March 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Firstly, I had NO issues with that tackle ethically, morally, theoretically, because it to me is what rugby is all about etc. but I believe I was the person quoting "tip tackle." I was not 100% on the guidelines of what constitutes a tip tackle, and was under the impression that if a player goes beyond the horizontal then it is classed as a tip tackle, I have since found information to the contrary of that and have realised a bit better the "tip tackle" guidelines therefore retracting my previous comment... :)

cheyanqui March 02, 2012 4:48 pm

1:04 -- North with the Money Shot...

That's what SHE said.

mr lif March 02, 2012 7:50 pm

I don't think you can blame the lifters: if a lift goes wrong then the safe thing to do is get out of the way so the player can have as much control as possible over his landing, otherwise he might roll over your shoulder and go head first...

Robshaw's shoulder went into Warburton's thigh (below/near centre of gravity, so very likely to tip) which means Robshaw had crossed the gap. Everything Robshaw did in that was wrong and it should have been a yellow.

stroudos March 03, 2012 10:36 am

Yeah, fair point. Although I reckon Lydiate and Faletau have a chat with this bloke about how to look after your jumper!!

Top_Rugby March 03, 2012 12:48 am

Ha.. it really shouldn't be this much of a debate:
North's tackle was textbook, hard and perfectly timed,
Warburton's lifters lost control of him,
Brown gave the pass too early,
It was a test match of the highest defensive quality and a credit to both teams/the sport

(aaaaaaaaand Rhys Priestland is a faggart)

quins1 April 09, 2012 7:12 pm

george north's tackle was perfectly timed and tuilagi thinks priestland is a weakling and deserves to be boshed