The Top 5 French Flair moments

Ma'afu banned for punch on Tom Youngs

Courtney Lawes crunches Charlie Hodgson

Catch up with Sam Warburton

England beat Baby Boks in JWC2014 final

Jebb Sinclair red card for leading elbow

Closing montage from Heineken Cup final

Toulon do the double with Top 14 win

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Danny Cipriani's great try and celebration against the Western Force

Former England international Danny Cipriani had an impressive game for the Melbourne Rebels on Friday as he contributed to a 30-29 win over the Force with some great play and a fantastic try of his own. He also tweaked a hamstring, and did a little dance.

Cipriani, who hasn't had things go entirely his way since arriving in Australia, signed a three year deal with Sale Sharks earlier in the week as he signalled his intent to return to the England fold.

He'll be moving to Manchester once his season with the Rebels is up, and from there will aim to work his way back into Test rugby with England. Sale's Steve Diamond has said that the signing of a player of Cipriani's quality is a statement of intent from the club.

"Danny has been targeted by many European clubs, but has chosen to be based in Manchester as he feels that the Sharks give him the best opportunity to fulfil his aspirations to be the number one fly-half in England by the time of the 2015 World Cup," Diamond said earlier in the week.

"England had a great Six Nations, it's really excited him. He's spent two years playing Super 15 which not many European players get the opportunity to do and he's gone really well down there.

"I think he's matured in his time away. You've got to have a bit of ambition about you to pack up your bag and go to Australia on your own, he's done that, he's learnt a lot and it'll be for the better. Rugby union is crying out for a superstar and after Jonny Wilkinson, he could be the man."

Cipriani has been out of the picture for some time now and will need to compete with the likes of Charlie Hodgson, Toby Flood, Owen Farrell, and even young Leicester flyhalf George Ford.

Against the Force Cipriani had the kind of focus that will be needed, as he distributed well as well as started, and finished this wonderful try. He did something to his hamstring on the way to the tryline unfortunately, which meant he left the field shortly after, disrupting the Rebels.

As for the celebration, a frog in a blender comes to mind.

Danny Cipriani's great try for the Rebels against the Sharks

Danny Cipriani and Josh Lewsey box and makeup

Danny Cipriani on the couch

Danny Cipriani suffers serious injury - out of NZ tour

Midweek Madness - Danny Cipriani F-Bomb Interview

England and Cipriani come right against Ireland

Paul Sackey finishes off the Danny Cipriani show

Posted in Great Tries, See it to Believe it

Pretzel March 24, 2012 7:52 pm

I take back what I said about Cory Jane's celebration, I'd happily watch another 50 of his "taunt" before I'd dare watch what Cipriani just did again....

As for the try, well worked and nicely done, brilliant dummy by the winger, sold it beautifully!!!! and the offload afterwards was perfect!

Dave March 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Hes doing a Dougie...from the song "Teach me how to Dougie" Its big in the NFL

Rich March 24, 2012 8:29 pm

Why does he have to be such a choppa? Why can't he do something good, and not counteract that with the 'dance'? That's why he's not England and won't be. A talent unfulfilled as he has to try and be flash. Do some dog and keep your head down and then he'll be comparable to the likes of Farrell and Wilko

rugby08 March 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Oh shut up will you

Tanora March 25, 2012 10:55 am

Ya, I too hate it when people have fun, it's sickening.

Seriously though, he didn't scream in the face of an opponent or give anyone a shove, he didn't do a messianic swan-dive (Ashton), he didn't hurl the ball at the crowd with an angry face whilst screaming "YEAH! F*CK! YEAH! F*CK!" (like so many players these days), he didn't engage in a soccer-style hugs- and kisses-filled love-in.

He did a little dance (The Dougie) which was funny and inoffensive. He was having fun after being involved a couple of times in a pretty sweet try. He had fun playing sport. How appalling.

Pretzel March 25, 2012 1:27 pm

I'd pick the Ashton dive over this, I don't even like the Ashton dive but at least he is "diving to score the try," even if it is in a massively over the top fashion....

it is also DURING the game.. it doesn't take extra time..

Jwall March 27, 2012 12:02 am

Agreed Tanora.
If he wants to do a stupid dance and have a laugh, fine. He's the one who trains hard, gets bashed and scores the tries. If he wants to celebrate a bit, go for it.

moddeur March 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Great try, scored after a few people handled the ball and drove it upfield. Taking individual credit for the result of a collective effort (by doing a little dance) is something I don't enjoy much ... definitely on par with Ashton's swan dive.

Huh!! the 3rd March 25, 2012 1:04 pm

moddeur

Did you watch the clip fully? He affected the turnover (slapped the ball into a team mate's hands), passed to the winger instead of kicking like 99% of 10s in his own 22, followed up, stepped the last back, pulled his hamstring and still had the gas to score. I think he deserved a little celebration.

moddeur March 26, 2012 1:35 pm

He doesn't make the first tackle, he doesn't do the following drive forward, he doesn't stabilize the ensuing ruck, he doesn't act as scrum-half and choose that particular side at the ensuing ruck, so why can't the players who did all of that also deserve as much credit? He scored a try, a very fine try in fact, good on him. But as someone else pointed out below, that is exactly what's expected of him. I don't mind celebrations that are adrenaline explosions (like throwing the ball in the air while growling), but doing some dance in front of the cameras: that's too much for my taste - I could get plenty of that on MTV (if I ever watched it).

tats March 24, 2012 9:46 pm

hahah he popped the dougie .. you can't please everyone when it comes to celebrations to be fair .. i love it

thamesrowingclub March 24, 2012 10:03 pm

When did this become okay in rugby? Guys acting like this was unthinkable just 10 years ago. The culture of the sport is changing, not for the better.

Classy players don't do dances. Plus the Dougie is old as hell. These corny dances were played back in the early 80's in the NFL. Somebody should knock him out.

Pretzel March 24, 2012 10:08 pm

"Somebody should knock him out."

LMAO...

Guest March 25, 2012 12:17 am

Josh lewsey did once in training, he's due an OBE for it

Tanora March 25, 2012 10:58 am

Please see my reply to Rich above. Thank you.

Bob March 24, 2012 10:41 pm

It doesn't happen very often, but is it OK if I like him BECAUSE he's a bit of a dick? It is, you say! Thanks very much. Go Cipriani.

Tyler March 24, 2012 11:52 pm

How about the assistant referee clearing the winger that gets stepped! That should be the focus of the video

i love bacon March 25, 2012 12:26 am

Who knew that pulling a hamstring also makes you go full retard.

He looked like a buffoon, as do all the idiots who celebrate like this after a try. Modesty is a desirable quality in rugby, I used to think.

In any case, Cipriani does actually have my respect - the guy has come back on form after failing to live up to the original hype surrounding him back home. Kind of like that tool Gavin Henson, except that Cipriani is actually succeeding.

This was a pretty great match to watch, too. Amazing how the game changed after the English 10 went off...but glad the Rebels still came out on top. They've probably deserved a win for a while.

Pretzel March 25, 2012 2:20 am

Bacon do you think Cipriani will get a look in with Farrell at 10? I don't know much about either of them, but from what I saw of the 6N Farrell seemed to be holding onto that 10 shirt VERY tightly and it didn't look like anyone was going to take it away from him (deservedly so).

Do you think people have gotten over the fact he slept with a man?

Pretzel March 25, 2012 2:20 am

That last sentence was regarding Cipriani...

i love bacon March 25, 2012 4:02 am

Dunno. I think it's a bit premature to be talking about him making a go at the England 10 shirt. That'll have to be decided in the coming seasons, I'd imagine.

I really don't know much about Farrell either. I tend to not watch the Premiership if there's anything else to choose from...he's been on the London South Africans since 2008, apparently...I guess I just hadn't noticed him really. But you're right - he did a bang up job in the 6N this year. Plus, he's young, so he the bright-future-appeal for coaches as well.

All I meant was that Cipriani looked to have dwindled off with the Wasps and England up until his move down under. And last year with the Rebels wasn't great, either, but he looks to have improved. If I were him, I might want to stay another year and soak up some more Super Rugby experience...but I guess he thinks he's ready to go back to England. Or maybe it's money. I don't know.

Huh!! the 3rd March 25, 2012 1:10 pm

Gavin Henson has 2 Grand Slams i love bacon. Where he played a pivotal part in both. Yes, he's a dick, but doesn't change the fact that he has more GSs in about 1/4 the games that O'Driscoll has played.

i love bacon March 25, 2012 3:16 pm

I was speaking more to Henson's recent "return" to the game. Sarries/Toulon/Cardiff - he hasn't done much to bring back any respect for himself. Of course before, it was easier to stomach the fact that he's a cock, because the guy was talented and, plenty of times, a hell of a player. But once he stops bringing that to the table, people tend to get tired of his shit.

Of course I wouldn't take away the feats he's had with Wales. That wasn't really what I was getting at, I guess.

Huh!! the 3rd March 25, 2012 1:13 pm

Huh!! the 3rd March 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Huh!! the 3rd March 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Pretzel March 25, 2012 1:29 pm

lol, we heard you the first time....

Huh!! the 3rd March 25, 2012 11:28 pm

Hah,

My laptop froze, I kept clicking post comment and I guess it did just that.

Pretzel March 26, 2012 11:09 am

Lol, it happens to me sometimes, shame there isn't a "delete" button for when it happens.

Ron_Mexico March 25, 2012 12:33 am

@Tyler: well spotted, that bloke handled the winger as if he'd be a solid hurdler
Great word by gerrard, that was a nice dummy he sold

mise March 25, 2012 2:49 am

i'm not normally on prozac -and I'm not now, I'm speaking/typing metaphorically - but I love this. All of it. the video and the comments. They all seem to make sense.

The try - great team play. I mean, really good hands and dummy/steps etc. That gerrard guy, and the hot potato move - top quality.

I was expecting the dance to be a little more elaborate? Considering the comment(s)? (i _have_those fuckers *ahem* who ask questions while they supposedly just speak sentences, don't you?)

But yea, enjoyed reading the comments thus far - that was not a conversation closer -

but on them, while I'm here.

i think that's ok now in rugby @pretzel
good points on the move in general, on moves (yes, that's stylised dancing grandpa) and as usual all a bit OTT on the rugby-has-gone-soft-and-been-destroyed-by-not-being-the-sport-it-was-when-hardly-anyone-watched-it-and-they-were-all-5ft7....

I'll stop now.

ruckinmaul March 25, 2012 3:24 am

i think this is quite okay compare to Corey Cane provoking dance.

Cheis March 25, 2012 12:06 pm

nice try, i like ciprianis attacking style of play

but defensively: he is one of the worst tackling flyhalves out there

Guy March 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Celebrating after a try is allready common in rugby. Just keep it modest, don't provoke any opponent or the ref and for God's sake don't run away from the rest of the team as if you did it all on your own.

No problems with this one: for once Cippie was on fire, he rounded it of with a beautifull try and seemed like he was having fun. Good for him, too bad he had to come of afterwards.

Sam7 March 25, 2012 1:04 pm

I hope he knocks that kind of crap off when he goes to Sale.

WelshOsprey March 25, 2012 1:25 pm

What a massive tool

Pretzel March 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Actually I suppose I was a bit hasty with my initial comment. Perhaps this sort of thing (which seems to be quite prevalent in the SH is down to the Super rugby being a franchise system.

I mean when compared to say clubs in England which are "traditional" and in France again "traditional", then you look at the SH teams flashy kits, sponsors everywhere, it sort of has American Football written on it. So maybe it goes hand in hand with that style of tournament. It's hard to explain what I mean because I know some of the SH teams are very old, but they are "invented" teams as such, so it is sort of a much more modern tournament, so maybe thats why this sort of stuff is coming in, its all about the advertising, camera angles, even mascots, it is just very close to the style which is set up by American Football.

Not that I know much about the leagues etc, but I guess if I had to comment just based on appearance alone, I would say that Rugby in the UK with teams like bath/sale/leicester etc etc, doesn't have as much money as the SH teams. (JUST JUDGING BY LOOKS/APPEARANCES!) it seems to be much more dogged and muddy (Weather I know) and doesn't have that diamond finish glint on it. However as they say, looks can be deceiving.

Jwall March 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Sorry, not really. take the Waratahs. They have been playing since 1883. so have the qld reds. always been the same, nothing has changed, except for the comp they're in.
it's more a cutural thing. We just think it's fine to have a laugh, enjoy yourself, do a stupid celebration if you want.
It's just not a big deal.
We are more light hearted i guess, less stuffy when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Honestly all the carrying on about this stuff by armchair fans is ridiculous.

it has nothing to do with camera angles or advertising. we are just less uptight.

Pretzel March 26, 2012 3:42 pm

I disagree, and if you read my comment above, I stated that some of the SH teams are very old.

A huge amount of it has to do with advertising, look how many sponsors some of these teams have. One of SH teams has shorts sponsored by McDonalds... They are franchises. I'm not trying to say it is worse or better, but the competition itself clearly draws in a lot of money, so anything to grab attention (flashy kits, adverts everywhere, mascots) is used!

Using wonderful wikipedia I have got the following info of when teams were formed:

Brumbies - 1996
Bulls - 1997
Cheetahs - 2005
(Southern kings to be introduced in the 2013 comp) - 2009
Lions - 1996
Sharks - 1997
Stormers - 1997

So as we can see nearly all the teams were formed post 1995, I understand that was a while ago now but it was within my lifetime. I am just saying when you compare it to the more "traditional" clubs in the UK and France etc, they are "modern." They have been created as franchises, and they make a lot of people a lot of money, so the flashy kits, the attraction of the game through exciting acts, mascots, and dancing, obviously shows a big party attitude to the traditional standing out in rain thats so heavy that your pint glass never empties watching a muddy english team scrumming down.

As you said, the competition has expanded and has again brought in money. Of course when you boil it all down, the rugby is what actually counts, but I still stand by my original comment that it has American Football written all over it...

Jwall March 26, 2012 11:45 pm

One thing about that, is that many of those "new" franchises are based on very old teams. They just added a bit of an extra title to the name.
E.g. the Stormers are Western Province, been around since the 1800s. The Blues are Auckland, have been around for a similar period of time, etc.

But again, it's all irrelevant in my opinion. These guys aren't celebrating because they want to boost ad revenue or something weird like that, they are just spontaneously exhibiting their joy at having scored.
You could see guys doing these celebrations in a local club game. No one would care. We just aren't as traditional. We have a more light hearted approach to these things.

Pretzel March 27, 2012 12:33 pm

I think you have misunderstood me. I'm not suggesting the players themselves are thinking "hey lets do a little dance to raise awareness for our team and raise money etc" I think they're doing it because they want to do it, however by the very nature of the tournament itself, and the way it is built on a franchise sense there is less of a traditional style to the whole thing, so rather than someone like Martin Johnson telling Ashton not to do those dives, the managers/coaches probably don't mention it, and because it is highlighted by the media surrounding the competition, it is probably "silently encouraged"...

I've seen highlights of matches in the UK and they 100% focus on the rugby played, tries scored and incidents, rather than a lot of the celebrations. I'm not saying it is better or worse, I'm just stating that due to revenue being a key thing in a competition like this, the players are not discouraged from doing this or getting told to just get on with the game.

The players themselves are just having a laugh and playing rugby... but it seems to me the super rugby competition has moved away from the rugby slightly with more media attention going onto the whole "display". (The players themselves are still in it for the rugby though)

Canadian content March 25, 2012 2:50 pm

As was previously stated the most impressive aspect of his video is that cipriani chooses to pass to the wide open gerrard well inside his own 22. How many times did I, and Jonathan Davies , scream at the tv to pass it wide during the 6 nations. Why players don't play with more courage I'll never know. Gerrard did exceptional as well, recognized the space, great dummy and offload. Regarding the dance, I don't really like it, rugbys a team game and even though Danny was the biggest part in the that move, it involved alot more than just him, whereas the dance seemed to be individualistic, unless it was a tribute to his teammates.

Cheis March 25, 2012 3:04 pm

agree completely!!!

BuzzKillington March 25, 2012 3:13 pm

The reason SH rugby is head and shoulders above everywhere else. Is it any wonder the game down there is popular and the game in the NH is restricted to the privileged classes.

If the Super Rugby comp was played in England it would increase the popular of rugby ten fold. Instead we get boring gits, boring kits and boring grounds with old men in flat caps and wooly jumpers

Pretzel March 25, 2012 9:55 pm

Judging by the display we saw with the supporters throwing a bottle at Mealamu and hurling abuse, I'm pretty sure I'd pick the sort of attitudes England has with rugby over that display.

Judging by the reputation that precedes England regarding football fans and their pathetic attitudes I feel that there would be an increase in "soccer fan" attitudes, which I believe would be a detriment to the sport.

Jwall March 26, 2012 11:58 pm

Very judgmental mate, and illogical.
The idea that having new kits and more entertaining rugby would result in crowd violence is ridiculous.

Pretzel March 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Very judgemental yourself actually. My point was the attitudes within the UK (from what I have seen) surrounding football are ones that carry a large amount of hostility. Less these days I suppose, but there is still bad blood. The more attention on rugby the more people, therefore the violent people from football will become violent rugby fans.

Rugby is out there, it is well publicised, it is on the news, and lets face it the England rugby team won the world cup in 2003 and made it to the finals in 2007 thats pretty big advertising right there. Not to mention their media fiasco in 2011. I'm pretty sure people "know" what rugby is and "know" about it. I think having new kits and "more entertaining rugby" (not sure what you're referring to there?) would do nothing extra for the game. My point was trying to encourage people who aren't already into the sport with how much it is advertised NOW, is like getting jehovah's witnesses pounding on your door in the morning whilst you have a raging hangover. It would be a form of throwing it in peoples faces, and if they aren't already hooked then they're obviously not interested in the rugby.

Created a slack jawed, atmosphere so that the morons can feel happy (see bottle thrown at mealamu incident) is only going to end badly.

You talk about different attitudes ^Up there^ well from what I have gathered from my time in the UK is that there are plenty of rugby fans that have a brilliant time watching a game and get hammered and party, to encourage more people "just so they can party" is nonsensical...

Johnny R March 27, 2012 10:31 am

I'm sorry, Buzz, but although the so called "privileged classes" may play rugby in the NH, it is not restricted to them. You clearly have never played rugby in Hawick, or Swansea, or Gloucester or Pau or Dax. Get your SH chip off your shoulder and enjoy the differences that the game can still bring to fans of all classes around the globe. I personally enjoy French rugby (where I live) rather than English or SH "styles" because it seems more natural to the players. But that's just me. And I am an old man with a flat cap. And clearly far more world, rugby and life experience than you.

From the USA March 25, 2012 8:44 pm

He is doing the "Dougie" it's a popular dance here in the US. Look up "Teach me how to dougie" he actually did it pretty well also

Jaded Forward March 25, 2012 10:25 pm

This self-congratulatory wankery is exactly why I like prop tries so much: a guy who NEVER scores tries touches the ball down, accepts the praise of his mates, and plods back to take his place and get ready for the kick. When the princesses put the ball down for 5 they act like it's a recordbreaker of some sort.

You're a back for fuck sake: your job IS scoring tries. You act like you're not used to doing it, even though it is expected of you. Maybe the tight five should choreograph something spiffy for every successful scrum. The can-can perhaps?

i love bacon March 26, 2012 3:31 am

Call me a jaded back, but I agree totally.

I wish we backs could act like props more the fuck often.

Awesome idea about the scrum dances. Maybe rugby will just turn into one big dance contest. No actual tries will be scored, just "You Got Served" for 80 minutes.

Pretzel March 26, 2012 11:12 am

LMAO!

moddeur March 26, 2012 1:29 pm

That got me laughing!!
But I don't know much about a prop trying a try, I'm a front-rower and I never score at my amateur level of rugby (I always find a faster runner to hand the ball to - who'll generally mess things up with a ridiculous knock-on). I mean I never score in matches, only do so at training.
But I'll probably sing "The Internationale" on one foot if I manage to score one day, because apparently it's alright to do so. I'm sure the opposing teams will find it alright, hell rugby is all about showing off individually, like football, isn't it?

Jonny March 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Typical moaning forward.

PiratesRugby March 26, 2012 12:00 am

I've watched all of Cipriani's games for the Rebels. He's actually a really good 10. He's got great hands, is a better kicker than any Australian and apparently has a bit of speed. Okay, he can't tackle much. But his hands are so good that he put the Rebels halfback (Nick Phipps) in the Wallabies squad. Cipriani was able to get his hands to whatever rubbish Phipps threw to him.
The winger who made the break was Mark Gerrard. Very clever footballer. Bit of a journeyman now. Broke his leg in the 2007 RWC and never made it back. He was playing in Japan when he got the call from the Rebels. Nice fella too.
The number 8 was Gareth Delve. Pity he did not get a game for Wales last year.

Jwall March 26, 2012 1:13 pm

He's ok, but not the best. he has a decent passing game, decent hands. he doesn't break the line much or even attack it much, but he's a good support player, and he's got alot of pace.
His kicking is excellent, that's a real strength of his. but his defence 9while marginally better so far this year) is overall pretty damn appalling.
last year he missed more tackles than any other player in super rugby.

Colombes March 26, 2012 10:02 am

Good try, but all credit to the flanker run than Cipriani last easy run.
i won't comment his celebration

but i was just imaginating next year england test matchs with ashton, armitage or cipriani making these sorts of try celebrations.....

Morgs March 26, 2012 12:33 pm

...and that sends a judder down my spine. I dont think it will happen, or at least I hope not. This Super 15 rugby is a bit like having a kick about with your mates when compared to test match rugby, I'm sure the mindset will be different.
It will very intersesting to see Cipriani back in England, his form and if that goes on to him being part of the England set up. It would not be a bad position to be in to have Farrel, Flood and Cipriani all competing for the NO.10 shirt heading to the World Cup. Can only be good for the team and a nice headache to have if they are all playing well.

Not the NFL March 26, 2012 10:35 pm

The reason I watch rugby is because its not like the NFL. If I wanted to watch idiots dance after scoring there is already plenty of that in other sports. Keep rugby classy and keep this crap out of it.

seroney March 27, 2012 11:35 am

as an avid dougie and rugby fan. cipriani's try and celebration were awesome. if you dont appreciate the art , or understand it seems foolish to criticize.