Why you should always tackle low

Step and unbelievable dummy sets up try

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Prop lays into fullback with big shot

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Just how fast is Carlin Isles?

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Female Streaker has no regrets

Southland sensational try after big bump

Monday, April 02, 2012

Andy Goode red carded for high hit against former team Leicester Tigers

Former England flyhalf and Leicester Tigers stalwart Andy Goode was sent off against his old side after he flew into Tom Croft with a high shoulder. It was his second card of the night, but was officially a straight red card, issued by referee Wayne Barnes.

Worcester suffered a 43-13 thrashing from the Tigers at Welford Road, who scored seven tries in the process. Scott Hamilton, George Chuter, Martin Castrogiovanni, Thomas Waldrom, Tom Youngs, George Ford, and Tom Croft all crossed the whitewash.

Croft was on the receiving end of a Goode shoulder charge late in the first half, which was a straight red card and nothing to do with his yellow card for a professional foul earlier in the half.

Warriors head coach Richard Hill said Goode was devastated to have let his side down, but all the blame for the heavy loss shouldnt rest solely on him.

"He has let the players down to an extent but you can't blame anyone, it was one of those things. Andy wouldn't have wished to do that at his previous ground. Andy is distraught, he is really disappointed about it and he has apologised to the players."

"It was pretty tough after that. Once down to 14 men we had to reshuffle and at half-time we put a 10 on and we were down to seven forwards. It was hard all night. Leicester were exceptionally good in patches and I think we did as well as we could," Hill said.

A citing and suspension could come into play, but Leicester Director of Rugby Richard Cockerill felt that there was no malicious intent and it should be left with the red.

"I know Andy very well, he played here for a long time. I'm sure it's not the way he would have liked to come back and have that happen so it's disappointing for him.

"Hopefully the red card will be sufficient and he can play the rest of the season," he said.

Posted at 8:34 am | 21 comments

Andy Goode's yellow card on Super 14 debut

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

Guy April 02, 2012 12:09 pm

No issue whatsoever with the red.

Tom Croft however was lucky his fingers didn't end up 10 cm higher or else he would have had a serious eye-gouging case to answer. I do understand his frustration though.

ilan April 02, 2012 12:37 pm

no but andy received yellow card before, so it's normal that he receives the red...

Jack April 02, 2012 12:58 pm

The hair cut itself deserves a red card.

stroudos April 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Unfortunate really. One of those moments where you realise you can't tackle the player as he hasn't actually got the ball, but difficult to pull out or change direction - you put your arms up defensively to avoid hurting the bloke or yourself, but ironically end up completely clattering the opponent spectacularly.

Andy Goode has always made me laugh. Just looks so unlike a professional sportsman doesn't he, but look at how much he's achieved.

Jeroo April 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Poor old Goodey. Love this guy and sure there was no intent, he's just not that kind of guy. Feel like he's been around forever but he's only 32!
He is lucky not to be penalised more often for terrible hair though!

chris April 02, 2012 1:51 pm

Ah Goodey. Always puts in the big hits, but think this was unintentional. Just watched his England highlight reel, he actually did some good. He was inspired for Leicester, bet he was gutted not to play the full 80.

maverickmak April 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Always had a soft spot for Goodey. He achieved so much over his career, whilst always getting quite a lot of undeserved flak. Great player, shame he had his Leicetser return ended like that. Silly boy!

Juggernauter April 02, 2012 4:43 pm

Hahaha wtf was that! No intent at all, just silly stuff.

Goode is a good player and it's pretty easy to emphatize with him. He's a nice chap and although he'll probably go down in history as one of the great english flyhalfs he always did the dirty work and stood up.

Next time be goode! (Sorry couldn't help myself)

Juggernauter April 02, 2012 4:44 pm

Sorry, although he probably WON'T go down in history as one of he great english fly halfs haha

Pretzel April 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Don't view this as a red card personally. I'm not sure whether it was a second yellow therefore red, or whether it was a straight red.... Do the referee's need to show the second yellow if it is one? Seemed yellow card worthy to me, so the subsequent red is fair.

Almost could have that chalked down to a revenge hit on a former team mate...

I don't view the guy as a nasty player, but I have no idea what you lot are on about with the "no intent" part.... if you pull out of a tackle and have a collision there is no reason why you would leave your feet and lead with your shoulder?arm?upperbody? like that... I think it was a fair indication he was enter into that with the intent to smash...

Pretzel April 02, 2012 5:33 pm

Sorry, just read the description that it was a straight red... I'm disappointed, that was never a straight red!

mise April 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Outside of his gushing sentimental fan base, he's always been viewed as something of a loose cannon, to be fair and polite.

I remember so many straight arms, mis-timed tackles, and bizarre decisions by him....he's like a throwback to characters doing stuff off the cuff. Which, in some ways, is fine. Rugby needs personality.

but this tackle? I laughed and grimmiced in equal measure. Esp when it came from Goode.

Pretzel April 02, 2012 7:56 pm

"Pretzel - how blatant do u want a charge to be for a straight red? His complete inaccuracy and bad timing is his own business/inability."

...I don't want ANY charge to be worth a straight red.... I have seen VERY few charges I would ever consider as a straight red. This is a yellow through and through...

However my views on rugby are a little 2004 so I must be extremely outdated.... I realise now my barbaric and non civilised 2004 ways are no longer deemed safe in a game that is well over 150 years old. I suppose I must hang my head in shame and realise that human rights, the Geneva convention and perhaps even amnesty international would have had to step in if our hideous, monstrous and downright dangerous ways had continued.

Shame on us all...

thamesrowingclub April 02, 2012 8:49 pm

Pretzel, I usually agree with you but there a few things that should be straight red:1) Talking about the ref's mama 2) dancing in the try zone 3) using a foreign object and 4) play-acting injuries. Other than that everybody deserves a warning.

Frenchie April 02, 2012 9:14 pm

Straight red card! High tackle with a elbow charge in the face of Croft...what do you need more? He could even get cited for that...no?

Canadian content April 02, 2012 11:35 pm

This reminded me of a nfl football style hit, free safety on the wide receiver over the middle. Funnily enough these types of hits are even illegal in the nfl now, he'll you can't even leave your feet in the nhl anymore to make hit. Rightly so on all counts. All these types of hits do is injure players and perhaps intimidate a little and worry about putting themselves in a vulnerable position. To be honest, I use to enjoy throwing these kind of hits when I was a dumb kid.
They were stupid then nd are stupid now.

Straight red.

The hair might get him back to a yellow just for the courage to wear it so.

themull April 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Was never a red cad imo...That is a yellow card if ever I saw one...Although he still would have gotten the line, in another situation the difference between a red and yellow could be a lot more important..

Reality April 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Terrible tackle. It's just not Goode enough for a professional player to tackle like that and put his own team under such pressure. And I don't know a lot about the guy, but the only other time I remember seeing him was when he was yellow-carded because he sort of attacked Brian O'Driscoll during a Heineken Cup match in 2008 I think. Are they just two isolated incidents, or does he have a history of being like that? He might just need a Goode kick up the backside.

johndoe April 04, 2012 11:54 am

If a shoulder charge / elbow ever deserved a red, it was that one. Firstly, it was a shoulder charge. Quite a strong one. On that basis alone they are sometimes given a yellow. Secondly, he nailed Croft in the face / head. Thirdly, it looked like he tried to use his elbow (I think that on it's own is also a yellow card). And Croft didn't have the ball. It also looked entirely intentional by Goode...

It's pretty obvious that Goode was just trying to nail him. If you're going to blindside someone when they don't have the ball / have just lost it, you should at least make an actual tackle. I like Goode, but this was a stupid tackle and a straight red was fair. If the game hardened back up a bit and it wasn't a red, I'd also be happy with that too but it's kind of hard to argue that a red was unfair or not deserved.

Doug April 07, 2012 11:56 pm

The video is no longer available Rugbydump.

cheyanqui April 08, 2012 11:12 pm

the Premiership's two-minute highlights -- the Goode cards are in the first 50 seconds.