Francois Hougaard's IRPA Try of the Year

Sam Warburton's possession Masterclass

WIN Rugby Union Team Manager 2015!

Teddy Thomas incredible solo effort

Player of 2014 Nominee, Willie Le Roux

Hairy f*cking Martin Castrogiovanni rant

Willem Alberts dancing alone in the gym

5 Nominations for IRPA Try of the Year

Barbarians run riot vs Leicester Tigers

Monday, April 09, 2012

Front rowers Ben Daley and Dan Palmer square off in Brisbane

Jannie Du Plessis of the Sharks was given an off-field yellow card for striking against the Hurricanes, and two others have also received the same punishment, following an altercation in the Reds vs Brumbies Super Rugby game in Brisbane on Saturday.

In the case of the Hurricanes vs Sharks fight, it was two players that sparked it and the rest joined in, breaking off into about three seperate little skirmishes spread across half the field.

This one at Suncorp Stadium featured just two players, front rowers Ben Daley and Dan Palmer, as they squared off during the Reds' 20-13 win over the Brumbies. The one-on-one scrap was later reviewed by the SANZAR citing commisioners.

Off-field yellow cards have been issued to each player, an occurence that takes place when an incident is deemed to be close to - but not quite - red card territory.

They were punished for contravening Law 10.4(a): Punching or Striking an Opponent.

Referee Steve Walsh penalised Palmer, who could be seen throwing the first punch to the midriff of Daley, who then retaliated with a few wild blows. Eventually it took scrumhalf Nick White's intervention to sort things out.

"It was a bit of a sideshow. The crowd seemed to enjoy it. I think it's safe to say neither of them have a career as a boxer," said Reds captain James Horwill.

View a quick highlights summary of the match

Jannie Du Plessis slapped with off-field yellow card

Rob Vickers cited following yellow card punch on Joe Marler

A look at the first ever White Card in Super Rugby

Adriaan Fondse's red card punch on Delon Armitage

John Carter's huge shiner from Dave Allen punch

The Reds vs Highlanders brawl from the weekend

Midweek Madness - Nathan White unleashes on Al Baxter

Julian White floors Andrew Sheridan with one punch

Paul James knockout punch on Marius Tincu

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

Guy April 09, 2012 6:54 pm

I find it surprising that there were no yellows issued at the time. It seems that, before the white card was a possibility, yellows for these kind of altercations were issued more frequently.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

stroudos April 09, 2012 8:42 pm

I suspect most refs would have given at least one yellow, which would explain the retrospective "off-field" yellows.

However, Steve Walsh tends to operate in his own world and doesn't really care much for the guidelines. In my view, Walsh's common sense approach was bang on - no need to disrupt the game just for a little tickle-up between the fat boys...

Jwall April 10, 2012 6:16 am

You tend to see less cards in Super Rugby, more stuff like this gets let go.
And in Australia particularly, the occaisonal fight has alays been seen as part of the game. Traitionally, fans and players prefer to not see players carded for the occaisonal biff.

Rugbyballhead May 05, 2012 4:35 pm

I think that was the best action, punches are thrown all the time in rugby, its not right but its always going to happen, both players were in the wrong, a fight takes two. No point in spoiling a good game with cards which is seen far to often, the white card is a good idea for incidents like this where the ref can be 100% sure

mise April 09, 2012 6:55 pm

"will that go down on his stats?" classic

Headlines U would not have expected in the past:

"Scrum half stops prop fight/ With his physicality."

BuzzKillington April 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Has there ever been a fight between forwards that isn't laughable? I know they're supposed to be the tough blokes but I'd wager most wingers would be able to take on most forwards, with their sluggish, lady-boy punches.

Both deserve an 8 week ban like Manu Tuilagi.

stroudos April 09, 2012 8:38 pm

Interesting point Buzz. I don't disagree, but to present the case for the defence, I can't imagine many wingers delivering enough outright power to deck a bloke weighing 125kg/20st.....

I assume you're saying they deserve bans for their inability to actually connect punches, rather than the violence itself?

BuzzKillington April 10, 2012 6:29 pm

The 8 week ban bit is just me agenda peddling as usual stroudos. It makes me laugh that 2 guys can throw about 8 punches each, while Manu Tuilagi was banned for throwing 3. Only difference is Manu can fight. So it seems punching isn't too bad, just don't throw a proper punch or you'll get a massive ban.

Also Julian White could throw a punch, but again look how slow and clumsy he was. He's done okay because he's fought other people who are slow and clumsy(Sheridan). Most wingers would ambush these forward types with pure speed imo

stroudos April 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Yep. Totally agree.

Mind you, that Sonny Bill Williams's boxing technique (when he's actually boxing) leaves a bit to be desired. Having said that of course, I wouldn't like to fight the bastard!

BuzzKillington April 11, 2012 3:34 pm

SBW reminds me of a robot mate. He throws punches like some sort of Tekken character. He seems to have the raw material to get by though. Can you imagine how could he could be if he knew how to box!?

RedYeti April 09, 2012 7:13 pm

So this resulted in off-field yellows, exactly like Du Plessis got for his slap. How did the white card in his case make any difference then? The citing commissioner reviewed both fights regardless...

stroudos April 09, 2012 8:33 pm

Very enjoyable to watch and I agree with the commentators: good reffing by Walsh, no need to piss about with yellow cards over a couple of props exchanging telephone numbers.

Thought the commentary throughout was first class!! Mexican stand-off, punch in the tummy hardly going to hurt, the scrum half's tackle stats. Bloody funny these two, easily the best commentators in the sport if you ask me.

This bit also made me laugh:

Bit rich coming from Horwill though, considering his little bitch-slap technique from a few months ago: http://www.rugbydump.com/2011/10/2183/james-horwill-bismarck-du-plessis-slaps

Pretzel April 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Red yeti makes a valid point about the white cards, it is my sentiments exactly... it's not like the citing commissioner isn't watching the incidents in the first place...

As for this, I am shocked this wasn't a red card for both....Not because I FEEL it deserves a red, but because everyone else (referee's included) appear to feel that 1 punch=red...

So really, I am GLAD it was not a yellow either, but it is surprising both weren't handed red's. I suspect if this had happened in the NH it may have been reds for both. I'm not trying to start a SHvNH war, but it shows the difference in refereeing.

I know Steve Walsh can appear to be a bit stoned most of the time with his decisions, but he is a referee I enjoy. He tends not to follow the EXACT letter of the law and is good at interpreting the laws! I would say a decision well made! I suppose SANZAR disagree though considering they gave the off field yellows.. but what can we do?

Jwall April 10, 2012 6:19 am

I agree, you see more leniance in Super Rugby for this kind of thing. there's too many cards in the game, the ref should leave them in the pocket.
A couple punches isn't a big deal, no need to ruin the game by sending off the props for something so inocuous.

Pretzel April 10, 2012 8:02 am

yeup, I think walking up and sucker punching someone or perhaps laying the other player out could/should result in a card, that might deter people from actually getting involved in these sort of things, but if they get into a bit of a biff there is no need to go mad like many of the referees in the NH do.

All down to the rules however, I feel that the rules recommend a card, not 100% sure though...

poccio April 09, 2012 10:13 pm

Seen as it's a loose head and a tight head, if I'm not mistaking, I'd love to see the first scrum they did after this incident ..

filth April 10, 2012 6:30 am

SANZAR are the biggest bunch of softcocks. I agree with nearly all of you. There is nothing wrong with a bit of a brawl. Yellow cards at best. Good onya Ben Daley and Dan Palmer!

thamesrowingclub April 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Ref makes a great call. Go back to playing rugby.

Kettlerugby April 10, 2012 3:37 pm

love the commentary: White going in for the tackle, will that go down on his stats? :D

terminan April 10, 2012 9:45 pm

get stuck in there

largebosh April 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Steve Walsh makes a good decision? There's a first time for everything!

littlelondonboy April 11, 2012 11:09 am

No need for yellow card, ruins the rest of the game as one team has such an advantage! (Unless they both get one of course.)

Personally glad to see it handled this way; tempers will flare in rugby, it's kinda part of the game. Yes they're professionals and "should know better" but c'mon, they didn't do any serious damage to each other. They both wanted to give each other a hiding, they both knew what was coming, it's not like one of them was on the floor getting stamped on. It just boiled over somewhat. Don't ruin the rest of the game because of a couple of props on the rampage.

mndpsp1 April 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Agree with the referees, Steve Walsh got it spot on. He has really improved his refereeing, which is great.

But boy do them commentators make me laugh;
"serious may-day on his shirt coming up"

But back to the punching, it is part of the game, its what rugby has all be about, so nice to see that a little scuffle is being let go. But this is nothing like the Manu Tuilagi punch on Chris Ashton.