Prop lays into fullback with big shot

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Streaker starts mass brawl after tackle

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Southland sensational try after big bump

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Ben Tameifuna massive fend on huge prop

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Ludovic Mercier crazy reverse pass

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Reds find form ahead of Quade Cooper's much anticipated return

The Reds ended the Chiefs' nine-game winning streak with a 42-27 victory in Brisbane on Sunday. The win keeps their title defence hopes alive, and has helped build momentum in time for the return of star flyhalf, Quade Cooper.

The Queensland outfit are ninth on the overall Super Rugby table, but with the conference system, they sit in second place in the Australian section, so still have a good chance of making the playoffs.

They came from 22-8 down against the table topping Chiefs, scoring four tries in 10 minutes, including a brilliant 60 metre solo effort from halfback Will Genia. He'll be buoyed by the return of flyhalf Cooper, who makes his comeback this weekend against the bottom of the table Lions.

Cooper has been out of action with a damaged ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament in the knee) since the Rugby World Cup in October 2011. He says he's prepared well and is ready to get out there.

"Everything which could be done has been done and the rest is now out of my hands," said Cooper.

"It has been a long six-plus months on the sideline and I know I've done everything I can to tick all the boxes during my rehab and have been as diligent as possible to ensure I am ready to return

"I'll be going out on Saturday knowing I've done everything within my power to be prepared both physically and mentally and it's now about going out and doing the best that I can for the team.

"It has been special to see all the support I've had from fans while I've been injured and all their well-wishes just make you more determined to get back out there.  They've been a real motivator during my rehab and I hope to see them all out at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night."

The Chiefs scored some excellent tries too, hence featuring these highlights on the homepage, but remember you can view all other Super Rugby Highlights in our archived section too.

Posted at 8:20 am | 16 comments

karimabuseer May 16, 2012 12:29 pm

The win is 42-27, not 45. Excellent play from reds. Great support and pace.

Pretzel May 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Great handling by the Chiefs, brilliant offloads and quick hands. Good result for the reds, brilliant try by Genia. Massively disappointed by the show off attitudes though, I mean that first try by Shipperly, there was absolutely no need to show off with that backward roll... disappointing, truly disappointing...

Mart May 17, 2012 12:36 am

Showing off with a backward roll?!?

you twat his momentum clearly propelled him into that position and then he stood up.

That was not a post try celebration. Shipperly is very humble.

Mart May 17, 2012 5:07 am

forget that comment. Saw your delayed comment and read the sarcasm...there's no tone in text

Pretzel May 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Ok, perhaps I can put it down to being a flippant comment...rather than sarcasm..

Pink Flying Deathmon May 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Pretzel, I think he just rolled because of his momentum. Didn't seem like much of a celebration if it was intended as such.

Seems like I missed another good game. Damn my location.

Pretzel May 17, 2012 2:11 am

Sarcasm my dear friend, sarcasm.. :)

Pretzel May 17, 2012 2:12 am

Repetition too, repetition... ¬_¬

LND May 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Is Quade getting out of the big house?

themull May 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Great game some great tries...Who cares about a little celebration anyways..Not directed at you pretzel just a lot of grumpy old men seem to be coming on here complaining about guys celebrating...

Anyways back to the game, some great tries and amazing hands by the chiefs...Cruden seems to really coming into his own since the world cup...All Blacks definitely have a replacement for Carter if they look after him right and give him enough game time over next few years for experience...

I haven't been following super rugby that closely this year but will the reds throw Quade back in straight away or can they afford to keep him out for another while? Knee injuries of that calibre are very dangerous (David Wallace just announced his retirement after doing his before world cup last year) and considering he's the cover boy for Aussie rugby for foreseeable future it might be wise to introduce him slowly back into it..

stroudos May 17, 2012 4:15 pm

I wonder how his post-injury ACL stands up to his trademark kangaroo bounding sidestep. Or will he need to adapt his game now to deal with it? I don't think I've ever seen anyone perform quite such outrageous sideways changes of direction as Cooper and, to be honest, I wasn't that surprised when his knee finally gave up - just a real shame it had to happen during the world cup.

I hope he is properly looked after and reintroduced - as you implied, the Reds seem to have the squad depth to manage, young Lucas seems pretty competent.

Fingers crossed for Cooper though, I think rugby is a better game with guys like him playing.

Jon May 18, 2012 1:12 am

To answer your question about Cooper, he's back.
He's been named in the starting team for the Reds game this weekend against the Lions.
It probably helps the Reds that the Lions are the worst team in the comp, it's a good game for him to make a comeback. We'll see if he gets selected for the Wallabies for the test matches immediatley following this weekends round.
I don't think they will, he'd be better served easing his way back. QLd hs an exhibition game against the Canes during the test match window, and it's be beter for him to sit out the tough test matches and work his way back with a few weeks more training and the practice match.
Kurtley Beale has moved to 10 at Melbourne and is playing very well, so he can hold down the 10 spot for Austrlia while Cooper is coming back.

Pretzel May 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Lol, tbh I didn't really see any thing I had an issue with in this game, the only celebration I saw was one of the reds doing a "clay pigeon" sort of thing, that in itself wasn't a big deal to me, it is the over the top dances which get me.

ruckinmaul May 18, 2012 1:11 am

can you post the highlight of rebels upset the crusaders. upset of the year!

stroudos May 18, 2012 9:13 am

Mate, there's a "Super Rugby Highlights" banner up the top of the page, just to the right of the main story - pretty sure it's there on every page in rugbydump.com.

The game you want is here: http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/05/2575/rebels-vs-crusaders-super-rugby-round-12.

ruckinmaul May 19, 2012 2:56 pm