Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Alesana Tuilagi trademark crunching hit

Steven Luatua Quarterback Lineout throw

Emotive Guinness ads with rugby legends

Willem Alberts dancing alone in the gym

Test Rugby Results - Nov 15th weekend

IRB rebrands to World Rugby

Prop Adam Jones' drop goal attempt

WIN the rugby tour of a lifetime with IG

Monday, June 11, 2012

Wallabies hold off Welsh fightback to claim win in Brisbane

Wales turned around a 20-6 deficit to trail 20-19 at one stage, but ultimately it was the Wallabies that claimed a fairly comfortable 27-19 victory at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane on Saturday. The two sides meet again in Melbourne for the second test.

Will Genia stamped his authority on the game with one of the better halfback performances you're likely to see, including a brilliant solo effort. He controlled maters from the base with a high tempo performance, something Wales are aiming to prevent in the next two Tests.

"If they put all their focus on Will, it will tighten their line and make it easier for us to run into holes," said his Reds teammate Anthony Faingaa, who also praised wing Digby Ioane, who carried the ball 13 times and helped Genia dummy the Welsh defence for his try.

"If Digby doesn't make that run, Will doesn't score that try," he said.

Nathan Sharpe, having played 11 times against Wales, says that they will come back stronger, and should not be taken lightly. "This is the best Welsh team I've ever played against," he said.

"We're expecting big things from them again this weekend and they will have learned a lot from Saturday and we expect them to try to remedy that. The game will have a completely different focus and a completely different energy about it.

Wales will have the services of Melbourne Rebels forward Gareth Delve at their disposal as he was called up after number eight Toby Faletau broke his hand. He'll play in the game against the Brumbies tomorrow, and aim to get a Test call up for Saturday.

You can also view the full match post here

Wallabies vs Wales 2012 - 1st Test - Full Match

Silky June 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Loved Genia's try, awsome foot work

cool calm and collected June 11, 2012 6:08 pm

Pocock and Genia won this game for Australia, and to be honest if the such players continue to play like this then I could see a 3 - 0 whitewash for Australia, unless Australia improve greatly.

Also Priestland was ABSOLUTLEY RUBBISH!!!!! it could be said that he cost Wales the win, by falling to catch the ball when the line was beckoning. Also the fact that the best on-field kick came from a prop (Gethin Jenkins little grubber kick) also shows how poor he played.

Missed oppurtunity Wales!!! Despite this I still believe that Wales will win this series

Stuart Barnes June 11, 2012 7:09 pm

Agreed Rhys Priestland is without exception the most over-rated player in world rugby, and this time Jamie Roberts wasn't there to save his blushes. He's been embarrassed.

rugby08 June 12, 2012 6:43 am

Doesn't help that the pack was rubbish for the majority of the game.

As the saying goes the forwards win you the game, the backs decide by how much.

moddeur June 12, 2012 3:58 pm

I also think that Priestland is another one of those "10s who should be first center". He seems to have some ability ball in hand, but his territorial kicking in the past few games has been more than questionable. Better put Hook at 10.

cool calm and collected June 11, 2012 6:10 pm

i Meant 'I could see a 3 - 0 whitwash for Australia, unless WALES improve greatly'

FatProp June 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Very unlike wales they dropped the ball and didn't have enough physical presence. They said after the match they could not keep up with the speed the aussies played with. Genia is just brilliant when it comes to picking of props, this 'weak' aussie team managed to completely out play the best team in the northern hemisphere IMO. Could have three series white washes.

UlsterJoey June 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Fantastic use of the ref by Genia to get all the back to just have to beat the fullback. Surprised Hook didn't get him

Eggman June 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Ref wasn't really in the way.. the Welsh defender who was sposed to tackle Genia simply bought the dummy and tackled Ioane instead of Genia (which is understandle, considering Genia passes it to Ioane 9 times out of 10). Ref slightly blocked the second defender, who still got to Ioane in time though..

Jo June 12, 2012 7:11 am

Genia doesn't use the ref at all. The ref ran through the space between 2 and 4, Genia ran through the gap between 3 and 2.
The ref also ran through before Genia or Ioane were at the defensive line.
The reason Genia went through that gap is because of two things. One, he picked up that he had two front rowers to go past. Two, because Ioane made a great dummy run, drawing in the 2 and 4. And the ref went through before Ioane even got to the line, which is obvious since both 2 and 4 made contact with Ioane. They just made the wrong decision defensively.

And with Hook, that was just a great step, awesome footwork. He planted Hook and wen straight past him.

Guy June 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Welsh defense around the ruck area was not existent. I think that is what cost them the game. The Scotts did way better in that area. Wales will have to adress that problem to stand a chance to win at least one of the remaining fixtures.

Eggman June 11, 2012 8:52 pm

I was pleased with the way the Wallabies played over all, especially Pocock and Genia were outstanding. How many times did Pocock force a turnover or penalty when Wales looked threatening in the first half?

I was a bit worried though when Wales closed in to 20-19, the game was really in the balance then. Lucky for Australia that Priestland and Warburton aren't in their world cup form and that ball before the 20-19 was knocked on.. A bit unfair to place all the blame on Priestland considering the bad pass he had to catch. Australia lost the plot a bit between the 50th and 70th minute, but got the game back in their hands at least...

I still think the Welsh can pick up a win, maybe in Melbourne when Australia's gonna be slightly less hungry and have a bit less to prove than after losing to Scotland and might get a bit too relaxed after having beaten Wales. I think Australia's gonna win the series over all.

WelshOsprey June 11, 2012 9:47 pm

When was the last time warburton even played? Tipuric deserves to be ahead of him right now captain or not.
Also have no clue why wales keep playing hook at fullback. Didn't play there for the ospreys, doesn't play there for perpignan.. putting him there really costs us games
Australia were class at times and our mistakes made them look even better.
Next game is the big one, lose that and the tour is a failure.

Pretzel June 11, 2012 9:58 pm

I think the commentators sealed the Australian win before the game started...
They were talking about Philips and Genia, and saying how they felt Philips was 1 step ahead of Genia in a sort of "best player rating"...
Secondly they were talking about "is this when Rhys Priestland will make his step up to elitism...
And I am not 100% sure but was there some Pocock v Warburton comparison going on there too? With Warburton coming out on top? (May have imagined that one)
But yeh, as it stood I thought Philips was non existent, or at least made minimal impact (compared to usual), so Genia definitely showed why he was Australia's 9.
Rhys Priestland did very little compared to what I have seen him do... I often feel the term overated should be reserved for players who have been around for years but no one knows why, so I personally wouldn't like to label Priestland as overated, more just yet to live up to the hype... I understand that many of you won't see a difference between the two, but I do feel that Priestland has a lot to offer, I just wish for his (and the Welsh fans/team) sake he'd show it more...

rugby08 June 12, 2012 6:42 am

Actually they were talking about how Tim Horan (an Aussie) wrote in an that week that he thought Phillips was the best 9 in world rugby and that Genia was just behind him.

Pretzel June 12, 2012 11:32 am

I thought they agreed with him though didn't they?

Pretzel June 16, 2012 1:59 pm

I gotta amend this actually, I will probably do it in the next wales-aus upload by RD, but for now I'll amend it here, I was actually under the impression that the little guy running around in the scrum cap with large guns was priestland, it was only today that I realised that was halfpenny... I therefore have to agree that Priestland is massively overrated, I can't recall his 6N performances but I feel that he really does not warm the depths of my heart when I come to judge number 10's... especially with today's performance, there was hideously loose kicking...

Anyway, so that "stuff" up there was actually in reference to halfpenny who I feel has not made as much of an impact recently as he did in the 6N...

Canadian content June 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Typical, the media hyped up a good British Isles team, who then play a good SH team and get brought back to reality. I'd blame this solely on the media but then I read shaun Edwards saying the welsh had a plan for the abs if they got in the rwc final.and were going out expose them. Ha, looks like the only team to be exposed is wales. Who have now lost three straight to trinations teams. Warburton is good, but is no pocock (world's best), phillips was good but is no genial.

Still should interesting to see how wales adapts, fly in bigger.

rugby08 June 12, 2012 6:44 am

Don't just blame the media, the Welsh fans have been gloating since the 6 nations. It's about time they've been brought down to Earth, and realise their team isn't quite world beating yet..

katman June 12, 2012 8:42 am

I really thought the Welsh would have more fire in their bellies for this game. On paper they look like the better team, but they were bullied for much of the game. Hope they step it up this weekend.

James June 12, 2012 10:24 am

Why is everyone talking on here like it was a pasting? it was a good, competitve test match, won by 8 points. I think everyone forgets how young this team still is. Warburtons only 23, falateu 21, North 20, 1/2p 23, scott williams 21, and even the supposed more experienced heads like Jonathan Davies are only 24. This side is still learning, their not the finished article yet, but there are encouraging signs. Wales are by no means out of this series.

In regard to Priestland. Wales lose their first match in 7 games and everyone has a go at him. It's no coincidence that guys like Roberts, North and Cuthbert found form when Rhys turned up, he may not look like he's playing well but he certainly gets the best out of the rest of the backs. Give him a break.

rugby08 June 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Wales were completely outplayed for most the game but did well to come back. And you should keep in mind that Australia have a younger side than Wales and were actually missing a hell of a lot of players, they aren't the finished article yet either mate.

Regarding Priestland, i think he's a good player and gets the best out the backs, but he almost lost you the game against England, Gatland only kept him on so it wouldn't destroy his confidence. If only he did the same thing with Hook...

wobbalies June 13, 2012 2:57 am

Australia had a very young team on Saturday as well. Genia - 24, Horne - 22, McCabe - 24, Simmons - 23, Pocock - 23, Harris - 23, Hooper - 20.

Not to mention Beale - 23, Cooper - 24, O'Connor - 21, Tomane - 22, Slipper - 23. Who are out at the moment.

I do agree it was a very close test, and i think it will be even closer this weekend.

welshhero June 12, 2012 6:19 pm

I think Philips cost us the game as he has on many occasions, I am no fan of his. He is a very skilled rugby player but he has poor pace over 10yards, he has a very slow pass and he's not the brightest button bless him, all are key attributes to a good scrum alf. He also likes contact to much, he takes clean ball into the forwards and gets tied up meaning the he losses the momentum and cannot support the next phase; now Priestland is forced into the scrum half position meaning we have no attack for 2-3 phases and the defence gets back into position. I dosent do any of the thing you "dont see".

I think will win a test and come close to taking another if hook never play in full-back, particularly as 1/2p is running very good lines at he moment. I dont think we were outplayed and looked like a good team playing badly. Ryan and Alun should have started also and possibly tipuric as there all in outstanding form and moving the ball quickly.

welshhero June 12, 2012 6:21 pm

*He doesnt do anything

welshhero June 12, 2012 6:21 pm

*He doesnt do anything

eifp June 13, 2012 11:57 am

Totally agree with welshhero, Philips was shown up by Genia who is on another level. I hope Rhys Webb gets a chance - quick service and snipping runs is what Wales needs.

Pretzel June 14, 2012 12:15 am

Hmmm, I don't think I'll climb aboard the "anti-Philips" wagon... I think the guy has a lot to offer and those sniping runs that eifp is talking about are often mike philips trade mark... I just think he was not on form, either that or was just not allowed to be on form because Genia had him closed down..

I think get him close to the bench, (if not on it) to keep him on his toes...