Dafydd Howells scores quickest try ever?

Biggest punches & worst fights in France

Meanwhile in New Zealand advert

Closing montage from Heineken Cup final

England beat Baby Boks in JWC2014 final

Huge hit by Tonga in Pacific Nations Cup

Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

Johan Goosen huge drop goal on debut

Toulon do the double with Top 14 win

Monday, June 18, 2012

Scotland go two from two as they beat the Flying Fijians

Tim Visser scored twice on debut as Scotland beat Fiji 37-25 in Lautoka, Fiji on Saturday. They are now aiming for a tour grand slam as they face Samoa in a week's time, a match that Visser believes they can win.

Scotland are on a high after their famous win over an Australian side, and now this one in sunny Fiji. Their game against Samoa is expected to be their toughest of the tour however.

"It had been great for our confidence to be able to beat the Wallabies in bad weather. Then to be able to win in this heat was even better. We are now in a position to make it a clean sweep, which is incredible," said recently qualified Scotland wing Visser.

"Samoa will be a brilliant experience and another massive challenge, especially when you consider it will be even hotter than Fiji. Three wins out of three on the tour would be a marvellous achievement — something really special.

"The last time Scotland were in Fiji they took a hammering, so to earn this result against such a passionate bunch of lads was awesome."

The game was finely poised at one stage and Fiji looked as though they could come back and snatch it, but the second Visser try put things out of reach.

Unfortunately the broadcast from Fiji wasn't the best, so the quality of the footage isn't great. One of the Fijian tries was also missed due to a break in transmission. Highlights are posted below anyway, and if you'd like to watch the full match, you can do so here.

Fiji vs Scotland - June Tour 2012 - Full Match

Australia vs Scotland - June 2012 - Full Match

Scotland celebrate win over Wallabies with head clash

Pretzel June 18, 2012 4:50 pm

Well with a scoreline like 35-27 against the Fijians, I'd say its definitely a strong victory for the scots... But would it be too "black and white" ;) to say they'll carry it on to next years 6N?

cheyanqui June 18, 2012 5:30 pm

sick pass on that Fijian try.

Tullowtank June 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Very interesting to see Visser in the international game, Scotland are beginning to get a useful attacking backline. Thought for some time now that Visser could even be a Lions starter, serious pace and power. A big step up to be made though from Pro 12 to lions but I would be surprised if he didn't go on the tour at the very least.

Brennie June 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Pretty cool to see the group huddle by both teams after the final whistle

No9scrum June 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Its an aftermatch prayer, they do it after every one

rugby08 June 19, 2012 5:52 pm

Not both teams though

Facepalm June 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Visser (and Hogg) do seem very promising. The next 6 Nations will be a great test of his ability. I'm really looking forward to seeing him against tougher opposition. A huge prospect.

Guy June 18, 2012 7:49 pm

That last shot of everybody circling up is just priceless. I can not imagine that happening in any other sport. But I might be wrong...

Also, big up for Scotland for visiting the 'smaller' island rugby nations. I read comments somewhere else that the people over there are very happy to receive a touring squad since they seem to be overlooked a little by some of the bigger nations.

One question: Visser qualifies for Scotland on residencial grounds. What happens if he decides to go and play in France for example? Does his qualification still stand because he already has his first Scottish cap?

Great to see him score for the national team too, by the way.

Alasdair June 18, 2012 8:09 pm

I find it embarassing that the Blackness has never graced the Islands with a visit. They are after all their closest neighbour/poacher.

Also visser having had his first cap is now a scottish rugby player.He can play wherever he wants. He has however signed a three year extension to his contract with Edinburgh.

Ando June 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Never ever? That IS surprising!

Ghost June 19, 2012 4:32 am

Alisdair, the All Blacks have toured Fiji four times.

The poaching comment is also stupid, as most, if not all of the pacific islanders in the All Blacks moved here at a very young age and completed their schooling/junior rugby in NZ

breakaway June 19, 2012 5:51 am

The irony of your post is that you accuse NZ of poaching and then go on about how well Visser's career prospects are looking. The most prominent recent AB with Fijian heritage that I can think of is Rococoko who went to NZ as a five-year-old.
On the other hand Visser was already a mature rugby player in the Netherlands when he was scouted by the Newcastle Academy during a sevens comp and lured into UK rugby.
I've got no problem with that, but if you're going to talk about poaching I know which of those scenarios fits the definition best.
Anyway, Visser looks a good player and if he can inject some life into the Scot's backline then good on him.

incorr3ct June 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Scotland, as it is only has 2 pro teams and barely enough pro players to support a national team. There are more pro players in some of englands clubs than in the whole of scottish rugby. Even Fiji have more players than us! its pretty daft to begrudge us a player from a nation that dont even have a proper team... if he was to play for holland he would to be giving up on his career!

Flyingscot June 18, 2012 8:10 pm

No, he wouldn't qualify for france, once you have represented a country at u20 i think you are then no longer eligible to play for any other international team. I may be wrong but i have friends who play U20 scotland and that is what they say.

rugby08 June 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Scotland have an b team though, so the U20 thing wouldn't count for them

Pretzel June 18, 2012 8:12 pm

I am sure that Visser has qualified because he has lived in Scotland for X amount of years, much like Manu Tuilagi has for England... So effectively Manu is English as he has gained English residency, or citizenship and Visser is Scottish because he has gained Scottish citizenship (As far as I know)...

If either danced over to France they'd still have their original residency already done, so they'd probably be fine...

I too thought the huddle at the end was brilliant, showed the real spirit of the game, and it was nice to see 2 international professional rugby teams doing it.. I can't say I've ever done that in club rugby, so again its a shock to see it in internationals!

Reality June 18, 2012 9:08 pm

It's not a case of having citizenship; it's just that they've lived in their host country for three years, and therefore under the IRB rules become eligible to play for the country. It's a bit stupid really, because if you had to get citizenship before you played for the country, it would show that you actually have made a long-term commitment to the place, rather than the way it is now, where South Africans, Fijians and such get to represent their host country just because they've been employed there for three years and because their own national team never capped them.

I mean Tobias Botes (100% South African), for example, who plays for Italy, is obviously only there because Treviso was the best (or only) offer he got to play professional rugby. And now he's playing for the national team, but will more than likely leave as soon as his career finishes. It kind of devalues the idea of playing for a country, when a bunch of foreigners who don't have any link to their 'country' and who are only there because they can make money play for the national team.

Guy June 18, 2012 9:22 pm

I understand what you say and where you come from. In this case however I am glad this rule exists. Since I am from the Netherlands I am under the impression that Visser is the closest thing to anything that'll bring us some international fame on the global rugby stage, at least in my lifetime.

Except for the Dutch sevens ladies; they are doing very well too.

moddeur June 18, 2012 10:45 pm

I don't mind it so much. I lived 4 years in an Indian Ocean island near India and grew quite attached to my friends there. I would have gladly played for the national team (if I had had any ounce of a good level of play). People tend to get attached to the place they live, so it doesn't shock me so much.

Though rugby is probably the only sport where this makes any sense (at amateur club level we trade players with other teams sometimes - and look at the Northern Irish and Irish players, reunited under the same jersey).

Pretzel June 19, 2012 11:40 am

Brilliant for clearing that up Reality, I wasn't sure how it worked, I assumed (or incorrectly heard) it was done on citizenship, but thanks for clearing that up.

I sort of agree.... I can only hope that the international players do actually have a strong tie to the country they end up playing with, rather than as you said, doing it because it was the only international offer they get...

cheyanqui June 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Guy,
Totally agree.

The only thing missing in the circle is the Scottish captain thanking the Fijian #8's mother for bringing the orange (or is it mango in the islands?) slices for halftime.

Canadian content June 18, 2012 10:58 pm

I was trying to explain to my french teacher the ethos of rugby, that shot of them huddled together at the end explains it all.

Visser is a beast, will tour and challenge for a lions test. North, Cuthbert, Ashton and bowe will be hard to obercome. Ashton because of rep by the way, I don't really rate him.

Hogg, rennie, Grey, blair and the hooked will go as well. Laidlaw too if the selectors have balls

Reality June 19, 2012 8:26 pm

Laidlaw? Really? Do you not remember the last time they brought such a defensively weak outhalf on tour? It was disastrous. They'll bring Sexton, maybe Farrell or Flood, and a few Welsh outhalves more than likely.

07015678 June 19, 2012 12:50 am

TIM VISSER IS THE MAN! Lions have definitely got to take Visser, Denton, Rennie, Hogg, Gray.

cheyanqui June 19, 2012 1:16 am

is it just me, or does the commentator sound like he's channeling Bill McLaren?

Pretzel June 19, 2012 1:50 am

Close maybe... but there'll only ever be one Bill McLaren :(

RugbyDump Dave June 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Disappointing not to have seen Dubar, Fusaro, Ryder, Seymour, Brown and Harley at all/enough (& Weir). Seymour and visser would be great on the wings. Can't see a return for R lamont or Southwell. Glad Wales ate getting beaten because IMHO they think they're better than they really are. Too predictable and the BIG.3 are just as physical in the backs. It's now they miss S Williams and not picking H Robinson. A result of the downhill turn of Welsh club rugby?

redskin July 01, 2012 5:19 pm

i assume you mean O'gara. Laidlaw would definately be an outside bet but i would rather have him than priestland or biggar, who are the blandest of the bland.