Sam Tuitupou's big tackle on Sherridan

Schalk Brits runs into Wayne Barness

Matt Toomua Falcon vs the All Blacks

Japanese swallow dive try blooper

Massive try saving hit by Israel No.8

Carlos Spencer & Stephen Larkham fight

Random great tries from 2008

Buck Shelford tribute

Jonah Lomu inducted into Hall of Fame

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Argentina snatch victory from France with late try in Cordoba

Argentina came from behind to snatch a late 23-20 win in their first Test against France in Cordoba on Saturday. It was the South American's second win in succession, following on from their beating of Italy in San Juan a week prior.

As you should know by now, Argentina will be joining the extended Tri Nations this year, as New Zealand, South Africa, and Australia get a new challenge as the Rugby Championship takes flight.

With that in mind, Argentina's preperation is well timed and they're looking good value for their current 6th in the world position on the official IRB World Rankings.

They scored two tries against France, the first of which came from a well taken intercept by Belisario Agulla. Felipe Contepomi kicked 13 points, and with a few minutes left in the match, a turnover allowed them to streak down field, as winger Manuel Montero collected a kick ahead for the match winning try.

France haven't won a match in Argentina since 1998, but will get another shot at it next week when the two sides meet in their second, and final, Test in Tucuman. They do however have some key players missing, including Thierry Dusautoir and Imanol Harinordoquy, who are both being rested.

Argentina have made more changes to their team, as they continue to experiment ahead of the aforementioned Rugby Championship. Argentina play their first game in the Rugby Championship, away against South Africa, on August 18th.

Below are highlights of the game (in Spanish), and you can watch the full match here

Argentina vs France - 1st Test - June 2012 - Full match

cool calm and collected June 21, 2012 6:16 pm

The commentator enjoys his conversions!

Morgaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn

Felipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Although the last one goes a bit astray!

Felipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaoaoaoaahhhhhhhhhh

TechnoMouse June 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Best commentary ever. Just imagine if Damien Traille scored a try.

Dave June 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Thought the commentator was having a stroke at one point

Pablo June 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi guys! Here in Arentina there are other commentator named Alejandro Coccia, and he es famous because every time some player kick to the posts, he shout "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadeeentrooooo".

Pablo June 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Other info.

Manuel Montero, the player who scored the second try, play for Argentina team before make his debut in the superior category of his club (Pucara)

Sorry about my english.

Regards.

Ando June 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Try try try try tryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Pretzel June 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Whilst I think the "extended Tri-Nations" will help Argentina further develop their rugby, I still feel sorry for them... I can't see them doing anything other than getting spanked for the next few years...

Reality June 21, 2012 10:16 pm

I love the way he concentrates so hard on the conversions that he forgets to finish speaking while the ball's in the air.

Rugbydump: I, and I don't think I'm alone here, demand more highlights in Spanish.

db June 21, 2012 10:19 pm

Love the commentator!

The winning try reminds me of the opening win in RWC 2007. France on a run, close to scoring a try themselves, and then a pass goes astray, intercept / turnover - try to Argentina.

The Green Mafia June 21, 2012 11:00 pm

While he exagerates with the in the kicking, I'd rather have this commentator or the french top14 ones than the boring, and sometimes annoyingly bias english ones. There's a welsh that isn't all bad too, but generally english and south african commentary is dismal. No emotion and a grunt-fest from start to finish

Norsk_Kiwi June 22, 2012 7:22 am

Don't forget the Australian commentators. I think they are great. Extremely one eyed, but are completely open and honest about it and don't take themselves too seriously. SA commentators will watch someone perform an eye gouging and go silent.

Not sure how the Tri Nations teams will react to the crowds in Argentina. Looked pretty mad over there.

Scarlet Beast June 21, 2012 11:08 pm

I´m glad for Argentina they are becoming a force. Sad to see the striped Adidas jerseys go though. I hate Nike and the crappy jerseys they produce. Althought he French jersey looks semi decent.

TizMyself June 22, 2012 12:08 am

Ya you're off your head Pretzel. Watch how Argentina over take the Norther Hemisphere teams very soon. They consistently produce great players and that will only increase with their introduction into the Tri-Nations.

Pretzel June 22, 2012 2:52 am

They'll get punished in the Tri-Nations... Last time I checked the NH weren't in the Tri-Nations competition...

Eggman June 22, 2012 9:24 am

I wouldn't be too sure about that.. I could see them beating Australia in Argentina, because those are the kind of games Australia loses. (e.g. Scotland two times in a row, Samoa etc.) Also I generally find Argentina is a bit of an unknown, especially when they're playing in Argentina.. Should be interesting to see how well the Tri-Nations teams adapt to that situation.
They'll probably get beaten pretty confortably abroad though.. However, it's a great experience for them and can only improve their rugby in the long term.

Disco June 22, 2012 10:57 am

Australia lost their first against Scotland at Murrayfield and the latest one in the rain in NSW.

Comparing Argentina with Scotland or quantifying Argentina's chances through comparison of Argentina's results with Samoa is a bit far fetched.

Argentina have beaten France in 8 of their last 11 encounters and they travel very well. The biggest challenge will be to see how the French based Argentinian players handle a dozen round the world trips in the space of a season.

Pretzel June 22, 2012 11:21 am

Definitely, thats what I said up there ^^^.,.. I just can't see them doing too well early on, I could be wrong, and I hope for their sake I am wrong, but we shall see (time will tell..)..

I think they'll have an essence of "Italy" about them...i.e. always be expected to be last place but every now and again pull off a victory here or there... But they will improve I'm sure of it!

Pretzel June 22, 2012 11:26 am

Sorry to add on, but I think it might make it clearer if I say I think Argentina will (early on anyway) only win the games that the other 3 nations Lose.... If you get my drift... i.e. if either NZ, Aus, or SA are on form, then an on form Arg team will get punished, however if either team is a bit wishy washy, tired, not paying attention, perhaps expecting an easy game, missing a few key players then Arg might snatch a victory... As I said, at least early on anyway...

Eggman June 22, 2012 1:24 pm

@disco
Sorry i dont quite understand your point, are you saying im being unfair to Argentina in comparing them to Scotland and Samoa because they are better, or something else completly?

@Pretzel
I agree with you that it's more about the Tri-Nations team losing the games. Australia in particular are specialists in going in to a match expecting an easy win and then being surprised that the other side can play rugby as well (Scotland, Samoa), and I fear that they have the same attitude towards Argentina. Add to that the completely new surrounding of playing in Argentina and I can see some upsets coming there..

Pretzel June 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Just out of interest, do Argentina (as far as you know) play with a different ball? I remember reading a while ago that some of the 6N teams were not complaining as such, but more saying that when they play Italy in Italy it can also be a challenge because they're playing with a different ball (Mitre I think).. Just wondering if Argentina has different balls which might add some small variety to the home games..

Manuel June 22, 2012 1:25 am

So glad for Argentina, showing of this new team!

The Junior Pumas are doing a HUGE and INCREDIBLE work too. Things look for Argentina.

cheyanqui June 22, 2012 3:56 am

the commentator sounded like he was the voice of the Budweiser "Wazzup" ad

Tito June 22, 2012 4:22 am

You all will to have a tema that represent you live Argentina. Its the only team in the world that plays with their heart and proud to play for his country. Keep laughing at our commentator, stupids. No one would ever feel what is like to see 15 crazy man fight for his country. We maybe don't have the ability yo score tries than Other countries, but we tackle and fight until the last minute in every game. Just watch the game against new zeland in the world cup, we tackle the "best" players in the world for 60 minutes until the scored a ficking try. Richie mc caw make penalties all the game and the ref was so coward to punish him.

breakaway June 22, 2012 9:01 am

Calm down Tito. I think the comments on here about the commentators are mostly friendly and saying that they enjoy the difference in style. And I don't think you can seriously claim that the Pumas are the only players who are proud to play for their country, I guarantee it's the same feeling for anyone playing test rugby.

Colombes June 22, 2012 12:21 pm

haha i like the commentary
can feel the argentiian passion for the game through their intonations

argentina is always improving and will continue to do so
don't think they have the level to fight with SH big guns, but it's by losing that u will know to win them.

concerning france, and without disrespect the pumas performance, this tour is more a lab to launch new players than a real defy. shame but true :/ the last action on the try was symptomatic, france could have kept the ball and kill the last minutes but prefer to counter-attack and lost the ball.

there is absolutely no shame to lose against a great team as argentina

Lucas June 22, 2012 3:32 pm

I am from argentina and its very important to single out that just like france this argentine squad is not first choice. To the extent that felipe( contempomi) will not be playing the championsh. Most of these players play locally in ameture teams and are part of the player development program herein argentina.

I do think it is going to be tough for us in the championship, however i should also point put that in the last 2 world cups argentina has made a run for its money, and that the nations rugby development has improved, (look at our under 20)

Pretzel June 22, 2012 4:28 pm

I think you definitely have a point Lucas, I think the nice thing about the championship is that it is going to add wonders TO the player development program in Argentina... Now all of a sudden Argentina is going to have the "big famous teams" coming to play in their own pitches. I don't think Argentina will do too well in perhaps the first couple years (I could be wrong) But I think as the years roll on, they'll become a real strong(er) team.

I wonder if Italy will suffer however... Many of the Italians I believe stem from Argentina, so perhaps instead of having an influx of Professional Argentinian rugby players they might have to pick their home grown guys...

I wonder if there will be an interest in the Super rugby tournament? Maybe an Argentinian franchise...

thamesrowingclub June 22, 2012 6:20 pm

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the domestic game in Argentina close to completely amateur?

Pretzel June 22, 2012 10:54 pm

You're not wrong, in fact I believe that up until recently many of the internationals WERE amateurs, I'm not sure if they still have some "amateurs" in their international team. Most of them are playing in France or Europe...

I'd hazard a guess and say that their amateurs are not quite as amateur as other countries amateurs, they probably have some pretty tough clubs over there. But then with many going to France to make some money playing they might be more basic than thought...

Mauricio June 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Yes, the tournament here is completely amateur, of course the most important clubs have sponsors, etc,etc and I think they have help from the UAR, but there is a program to train professional local rugby players to have a good base for the rugby championship , these players are those who see in these games, in the "jaguares" (Arg A) and in the pampas xv, who play in the Vodacom cup in SA. We know that the 4 Nats is going to be very hard at first, but we will improve our game based on some wins and more games against the super nations, also is noting the "hand" of Graham Henry in our game...
Give us time guys, and you will see...Keep enjoyng this beautiful game, and best regards from Argentina!

kadova June 22, 2012 11:36 pm

Well done Arrgentina, for waiting for french mistakes. The French were awfull, and both teams were full of young guns (bald Argentinians boys as they played their first match as Internationals against Italy the week before).
I hope the second match sees a better french team.
As for the inclusion in the tri nation, remember Italy in the 6 Nations, they were loosing every game at the beginning, and are now better.
I guess the same will happen for Argentina.
And it will be great to see how the Big Three adapt to the passionate Argentinians on their home soil.

Frenchie June 24, 2012 12:12 am

@ Scarlet Beast: France will be playing with a Adidas jersey very soon, the deal with Nike is out. I do like the Nike kit though...and i really liked the Argie's Adidas kit too.