Southland sensational try after big bump

The Human Hurdle Attempt

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Ben Flower red card for vicious punches

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Female Streaker has no regrets

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

WIN Rugby Speaker of the Year tickets!

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Jebb Sinclair and Tyrone Holmes both red carded for punching Sharks

Canadian Jebb Sinclair has been cleared for his punch on Jean Deysel on the weekend. Both he and Tyrone Holmes were red carded for seperate incidents, however Holmes has been suspended. Western Province ended the game with just 12 players.

In scenes that were reminiscent of the 1995 Rugby World Cup semi final between South Africa and France, Kingspark in Durban looked more like the aptly named sharktank than a rugby field. Conditions were awful with huge puddles all over the place, but the game went on.

Despite the high scoring nature of the match - the Sharks won 43-27 - it was tough and physical up front, with things boiling over in the second half as Sinclair and Deysel got into a tangle.

The Canadian RWC representive dropped Deysel with one well placed punch, but received his marching orders for it. Deysel was viewed to have provoked Sinclair, so he was sin-binned.

Not too long after that Tyrone Holmes also lost his cool, swinging a punch at veteran loosie Jaques Botes, who made sure the touch judge saw what happened. Holmes also received a red card.

Both players attended a disciplinary hearing earlier this week, where Sinclair was let off due to mitigating circumstances (the 'severe provocation'), and Holmes received a one match ban for his punch. He was also seen to have been provoked, but not in the same attacking way.

"Sinclair was severely provoked in that he was struck five times by his opponent with an open hand before he retaliated," explained judicial officer Peter Ingwersen. "Holmes was severely provoked but he was never subjected to a physical attack, as in the case of Sinclair," he added.

Both were considered low-end offences, and the mitigating factors are what resulted in two weeks being dropped to zero, and to one week, respectively.

A yellow card for a late charge resulted in Western Province ending the game with just 12 players.

Posted at 10:46 am | 26 comments

Canada beat the USA in game one of their RWC warm-ups

Jean Deysel called up to the Springbok squad

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

katman September 20, 2012 12:26 pm

I'm not condoning violence... but that was a sweetly struck shot by Jab Sinclair.

BoksKick September 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Throwing knuckles is a skill most Canadians have. It comes mainly from the (ice) hockey culture where scrapping is allowed. Speaking of hockey, it may be time to intorduce and instigator rule. It's clear that the Sharkies were fishing for cards y provoking players. I realize the impetus should be on WP to keep calm but there comes a point... as for the last yellow - completely laughable.

cheyanqui September 20, 2012 5:11 pm

On its own, I would say the yellow was harsh.

However, keep in mind that the referee has to manage what was already a nasty match, and has already given two reds to WP, and a yellow to the Sharks.

He probably warned the captains that players needed to cool off and not be reckless.

Jon September 20, 2012 12:59 pm

Agreed. Pow, right in the kisser!

katman September 20, 2012 1:02 pm

Deysel's decision to sit down was very much out of his hands, but he easily beat the count. I think he was up on 2.

Jon September 20, 2012 1:07 pm

Yeah and to be fair to Deysel he wasn't expecting it.

But for a short right hand, it had some stopping power.

Remember the days when this would have been no more than a penalty? I understand why it's not like that anymore, but it's good to see the occaisonal biff. Just like the old days.

AussieJohn September 20, 2012 1:44 pm

What is a 'blik player'?

out of curiosity September 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Why is it good to see the occasional "biff"?

Jon September 20, 2012 11:32 pm

I enjoy it out of curiosity. I've given a few and received a few in games and it never bothered me, always seemed roughly in line with what I was doing as a flanker anyway (ie bashing other blokes).
In Australia there's always been a fond attachment to a bit of biff.

i mean there was no real harm done here. A couple punches, everyone dust themselves off and gets on with it.

But I'm sure you'll tell me why I'm a terrible person for liking the odd punch up in the game.

Pretzel September 21, 2012 12:38 am

You are terrible!!! When I have children I want to introduce them to rugby, I am hoping it will be gentle and kind, in fact, I hope by the time I have kids it will be virtual and there will be no temperature extremes, no mud, no rain, no pumping blood, and DEFINITELY NO CONTACT! I want them to be strapped into racing type chairs and then covered in cotton wool, and handed a controller in order to play rugby. I want it to be carefully monitored by the governing bodies so that thumb strain does not occur from controller use!!!!

Deelman September 20, 2012 3:12 pm

I think Deysel just sat down. Not really a fan of him, but he's tough as nails. Sinclair seems to have only put about 50% into his punch. It was a nice looking punch, however... not the usual haymaker...

Hang on.

Why the hell am I talking about this?

This is rugby. I want to see the actual sport being played, not some amateurs duking it out. I'd rather watch GSP if I want to see a pro in action. In regards to the Canadians: I live in Canada. Canadians are awesome. Until they play a sport - then they get ugly. Must be all that repressed aggression. Maybe, each time you bump into a Canadian and he says: "Sorry!" he means "F you you $%^& ^&* and your mother!" But he has to wait until he gets to the rink.

BTW. Does anyone else also think that Bismarck and Deysel were manufactured in some lab somewhere? They look like GI Joes and move like cyborgs.

stroudos September 20, 2012 4:09 pm

@Deelman - good theories!

Haven't met that many Canadians but had a couple of Canadian mates at University - two of the nicest blokes you could ever meet but every time we went out one or both of them seemed to get in a fight. It was almost surreal because you'd be sat there calmly having a drink, one would go to the bogs and come back with bruised knuckles (not usually too much damage to their own faces!) - two minutes later it was as if nothing out of the ordinary had even happened.

pirate September 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Any one else notice no.5's arse hanging out during first red?

dave September 20, 2012 8:06 pm

F*** YOU GARY BETTMAN!!!!!!

Pretzel September 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Hmm this is a tough one, back in the day, (yeh like 5-7 years ago...) I'd have relished in the thought of watching a punch up video on RD. They were always so..."French"... Nowadays we get this... AND a RED card...

But then it's not 2003,04,05,06 etc... it's 2012, and this is the world we live in, where red cards are given for fairly innocuous looking punches (yeh I know, I didn't meet and greet those knuckles with my jaw), or no cards are given at all... So what to do? Be behind the times and one of those "old men" harping on about the good old days (at the ripe old age of 24) or jump on the "new rugby" bandwagon where a punch is a red card and thats only on the presumption it actually gets seen properly...

As for the yellow card for the "charge down late" incident, seems like bollocks in my opinion.... but meh...

Pete September 21, 2012 12:39 pm

What do you mean by "so French" ?

filth September 21, 2012 7:49 am

For the two punches…at best a yellow. I’m sorry, but I thought the referee wasn’t serious when he gave a yellow for the charge down. These incidents just demonstrate how soft Rugby Union is becoming-State of Origin players would just laugh at how pathetic both those yellow cards were…not to mention the reds.

Tc September 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Punching generally gets seen and dealt with, shirt pulling rarely does and until officials pick up on it, players will always lash out

Pretzel September 21, 2012 9:02 pm

What do the officials really expect? High intensity situations, real close opportunities, some dick tugs on your shirt or body parts you're bound to get a little frustrated.

Pretzel September 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Sorry, I was supposed to follow up that link with my defence for DG, it is right on the try line, he is a defending player, so as I say high intensity situation, and an attacking player is holding on to you.

In situations like that, you may be the last line of defence!

Tc September 21, 2012 9:39 pm

I used to play 7 and would regularly get my shirt tugged when try to go from the back of a defensive lineout. I soon learned that a swinging arm from me may concede a penalty, but I'd either win some back or have a clean run for the rest of the match. This was before yellow cards though so may not be the best tactic any more!

I think DG over did it in that clip, but I think he's justified in trying to break free

Guy September 22, 2012 9:21 am

Not only that: the player on the floor is OF is feet and therefore technically not allowed to take part in play.
If Grewcock had not stamped him it should have been a penalty to Bath...which they never would have gotten off course.
So I can imagine his frustration.

cheyanqui September 21, 2012 11:22 pm

For me, the classic of these is the Alessandro Troncon punch on Peter Stringer.
[Forgive the biased Irish commentators]

Granted, there is no excuse for these retaliatory punches.

However, it does the game a terrible disservice when the referees and citing commissioners actually do nothing to the original player.

Perhaps if those players got the equivalent of an "administrative yellow" card on their record, it would deter them from doing the niggly stuff.

No comparison to a punch, but it seems really one-eyed to say you want to clean up the game, but leave the niggle that creates the flashpoints.