WIN the rugby tour of a lifetime with IG

In camp with Nick Cummins & the BaaBaas

Prop Adam Jones' drop goal attempt

Willem Alberts dancing alone in the gym

Test Rugby Results - Nov 15th weekend

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Toulon DVD - En Route Vers Le Doublé

Nigel Owens makes not straight comment

Metuisela Talebula brilliant finish

Friday, September 28, 2012

Kieran Read's big tackle on Duane Vermeulen in Dunedin

Duane Vermeulen is playing his first season of Springbok rugby and while his performances have been respectable, he got a bit of a welcome to Test rugby from All Blacks number eight, and opposite number, Kieran Read in Dunedin. It's a hit we've been meaning to share with you since it happened, so as we head into another weekend of Rugby Championship games, here it is.

Jerome Kaino's huge tackle on Bradley Davies

Duane Vermeulen smashed boot-less but catches Mvovo

The big hits from Western Province vs the Blue Bulls

Andy Powell huge hit on Duane Vermeulen

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

stroudos September 28, 2012 9:24 pm

BOSH.

Wonderful moment.

Justin M September 28, 2012 11:39 pm

Not too impressed with Read's reaction. Vermeulen was a sitting duck and in fairness he made the catch bravely.

Jeri September 29, 2012 3:38 am

Am I the only who feels that the Springbok coach's reactions are stealing the show this season?

seedbag September 29, 2012 6:08 am

@ Justin M : I think Reads reaction was more towards ABs getting the turnover rather than "Yeh boi smashed u" but im with you fantastic take from Vermeulen knowing he was gonna get hit hard.

Manolo September 29, 2012 8:12 am

The receivers should turn their shoulder as they are taking the ball in. Id Rather take the hit in the shoulder/side torso area rather in the upper chest/head area.

Read is not an arrogant player.

WelshOsprey September 29, 2012 1:27 pm

That was absolutely nothing

rugby08 October 03, 2012 5:07 am

Agreed, as usual people are wetting themselves over NZ and Kieran Read in particular.

Guy September 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Not entirely sure that Vermeulen did see Read coming. Read more or less blindsides him, green players blocking his view and he is watching the ball. Did any of his players warn him? Not sure.

But, Vermeulen did well not to lose the ball when he got hit, smashing tackle and a perfect example of great technique and sheer dedication by Read. Love this kind of stuff!

Pretzel September 29, 2012 2:14 pm

I wasn't going to say anything, but welshosprey broke the radio silence on this one.. I have to sort of agree with him.. I mean it was a good hit, it was a strong hit, but, to me, it was not THAAT big... I mean it seems like a lot of hype has surrounded this tackle, and to me I just don't know what it is about..

I just feel there have been some far harder tackles in the latest plays of the week that this one...

I mean it was brilliant in the sense that not only was it a clean legal hard hit, but the AB's turned the ball over too... but for me, the hit itself seems overhyped...

Luigi September 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Maybe Vermeulen should have jumped to avoid the hit. Or to eventually get the penalty.