Toulon do the double with Top 14 win

Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

Two casual tryscorers shown up

5 Biggest Hits of the Premiership season

George Pisi hit makes Shane Geraghty ill

Ma'afu banned for punch on Tom Youngs

Biggest punches & worst fights in France

Meanwhile in New Zealand advert

Huge hit by Tonga in Pacific Nations Cup

Sunday, October 07, 2012

The Wallabies hold on for victory over Argentina in Rosario

The Wallabies ended the Rugby Championship in second place following their 25-19 victory over Argentina in Rosario on Saturday. They will now move up to second in the World Rankings, overtaking South Africa, who lost to the All Blacks earlier in the day.

The visitors led 15-9 at halftime after the trusty boot of Mike Harris kept the scoreboard ticking over. A 65th minute try to Digby Ioane stretched the lead, before Argentina came back with a Juan Imhoff try late in the game.

Harris ended the game with 20 points after slotting seven kicks despite the obvious distraction of laser pointers in his face, a tactic some members of the crowd used against the All Blacks too.

The Wallabies end the tournament on 12 points, joint with South Africa. They won three matches though, whereas South Africa won two and drew one. Both teams are 14 points behind the victorious All Blacks, who got to 26 points with their unbeaten streak.

Struggling with injuries for the last few weeks, the Australians will face New Zealand in a fortnight in the final Bledisloe Cup game of the season, which will take place in Brisbane.

They then head on a northern hemisphere tour which comprises of matches against France on 10 November, followed by England, Italy, and Wales in consecutive weeks.

Longer highlights will be posted if and when possible

Posted at 11:53 am | 29 comments

Canadian content October 07, 2012 2:43 pm

This was a terrible game, hardly any flow, tons of knock ons, poor skills and even poorer reffing.

Craig Joubert is considered the best ref in the world, but frankly I find him to be the best in the world at guarannteeing the favorite will win.

Rhys October 08, 2012 2:57 am

The Pumas were favourites to win that match...

Pretzel October 07, 2012 4:11 pm

I'm disgusted with the laser pointer tactic. I am glad to see the Argies have joined a professional International competition, but if they're going to bring pathetic little football fans with them, then frankly I'd be happy to see them out of the competition by next year. It's not the teams fault who have played gallantly throughout the competition, but where do you draw the line? No home games in Arg? Metal detectors in the entrances? It's just a bit pathetic really and I find that type of conduct makes ALL rugby fans look like morons!

brunogiandi October 07, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm Argentinian and I totally agree with your comment. But please, PLEASE do not judge all of us just for one or two morons who think that it was funny.

I felt embarrased myself with those guys behaviour, but it's nobody else's fault!
We try so hard to earn some respect, don't look down on us for such a thing..

Pd: Sorry for my english.

Pretzel October 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Well of course I do realise that it's morons fault and not real fans fault, I would just love a hard reaction BY the Argentinian rugby management and fans alike.

Lets say Harris missed the kicks when he got a laser pointer shined in his face... would that be a happy occasion for the Arg team? To win like that... I mean as the commentator said horns etc are one thing but to affect someones eyes is really wrong.

The worrying thing for me is when you see footballers hit with a toilet roll and they fall to the ground like they've been fatally injured, I dread seeing something like that, I mean Harris could have thrown a fit and wondered round looking dazed because he has "been blinded" by a laser pen, and then what would have happened? Would the game be called off? It's just really not on in my opinion. I don't think the GOOD fans should be blamed, nor the Arg team, but how do you stop it?

DM October 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Can the laser pointers in the stands not be picked up by the TV cameras?

There must be over 20 cameras in the stadium, surely at least a couple of them can be used with the security team to pick out the culprits.
Or maybe just 1 camera can be set up to be able to spot them, maybe with a lens filter or something???

Pretzel October 08, 2012 7:00 pm

Well... I'm not 100% sure, but I can't imagine it would be TOO hard to pick out, I mentioned searching everyone, of course as someone stated it would be a logistical nightmare, and not really a feasible option, however how do you stop this? Let's say EVERY fan in that stadium for one team gets a laser pointer, it would render the other team useless... Imagine all the beams shining around in your face etc... So really a few dicks have done it in this game, I believe it was also done in another game... What is the Arg governing bodies reaction to this? Unless they state otherwise, I view silence as a "go ahead" type of reaction, so is this a good idea? Are there going to be twice as many in the next Arg match? Will opposition supporters now turn up to Arg matches armed with laser pointers "Just in case" so they can deal out some retribution? Think about it, you turn up to the next match and 5-6 supporters shine a laser in your teams kickers face, is a good enough reason to do it to their kicker?

I am just glad that it Harris did not miss all his kicks as a result of this.

Czerw October 07, 2012 5:47 pm

@ Pretzel
I have the exact same feeling about this. Disgraceful

Eggman October 07, 2012 8:26 pm

God how many handling errors and ruck infringements were there in that game?? I had the feeling Joubert started ignoring the ruck a bit in the second half because he was tired of blowing his whistle every 20 seconds..

Apart from that, I'll take the win considering all the injuries and the hostile environment.. A bit lucky that Argentina showed it's worst game so far in the tournament, kinda gifted the Aussies the game with all those infringements, especially in the frist half..

Ottawa Rugger October 07, 2012 9:23 pm

A few things:
1) yes, the laser stuff was reprehensible, but logistically searching every spectator prior to a game is a nightmare. I don't think going so overboard would be an appropriate response to one jerk-off doing something like this. Let's also not forget how the announcer at the La Plata game asked spectators to be respectful and quiet when NZ's kickers were kicking
2) It the text it mentions how SA were overtaken by Aus because of the draw against Argentina. That's tangible evidence of what kind of an effect their inclusion is having. You can talk all day about the intangible stuff (playing quality, making the others change some tactics, shaking up assumptions, etc.) but at least they got something to hold up on the scoreboard
3) This game showed both sides that there are players on the bench who perhaps ought to start more often. For Aus this could be Higginbotham, Cummins, or Harris, and for Argentina this could be Sanchez or Imhoff. All of these guys impressed, and speaking as a neutral, I'd like to see all of them get more chances to show us their stuff

Ando October 08, 2012 3:56 am

Gutsy win by the Aussies, really positive to see them battle out a win with their backs to the proverbial wall.

valar October 08, 2012 1:02 pm

I just managed to watch the second half of the game, which i guess was the best of it.

Sorry about the lasers btw, its one or two assholes that don't know what rugby is...

I do believe Landajo, Sanchez and Imhoff played very well, too bad the last two only get to play for like 20 minutes.

Cheers, and im sorry if the Argies disappointed this game.

Juggernauter October 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Well I was at the stadium and must say that the atmosphere was electric. Each time the Pumas got the ball the stadium erupted, as it did every time the ref blew in Australia's favor and every time poor Mike Harris lined up a kick. "Hijo de puta!" was the softest insult I heard from the people around me.

The laser tactic is a big big big shame. I noted that most of the audience were football fans that were keen for rugby (Rosario is both a big football and rugby place) and the shouting and cursing became quite annoying after a while, but I guess you justneed more time to turn a football orientated audience to embrace the values of rugby - specially silence during opposition kicks.

The game itself was a bit floppy, but being on the stadium just gives you another perspective. You just let yourself into the spirit and atmosphere, and I think this is the best the Argentinians will bring to the championship - the screaming, chanting, horns and collour. Can't wait to make the trip again next year!

Pretzel October 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Is it possible to convert them though? I have met some self proclaimed "hard" men, who love football, and I have invited them to come and play with my club, they were relatively strong guys, I thought they could probably hold their own, and who knows they might sail through the 3rds into the 2nds or 1sts... however... they did not... they failed miserably at 3rd level rugby, they failed miserably in training, and they did not return after about a month of failure (I was surprised they lasted that long). The reason for it all was there attitude... They had the physicality and the structure, but their attitude stinks! They couldn't take a good hard clean hit without trying to fight the guy that made it, they couldn't take a hard drive in a ruck without thinking it was something personal, and they just couldn't break away from that noisy as hell football fan idiotic attitude..

Perhaps there is hope for the Arg fans, maybe there are enough of them to combat the bad behaviour of the others. I sincerely hope they stamp out that bullshit though. I've had enough of blind fans who think any decision against their team is an utter travesty without there being a new load coming in...

"Can't we all just get along" ...lol

Juggernauter October 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Yeah I've had a hard time as well trying to convince my football mad friends that rugby is awesome. In countries like mine, were the rugby culture is still in diapers, they even think that ruggers are a bit gay for the huge amounts of contact haha.

Personally I think it's a matter of time. The argentinean public have a great potential, they are very passionate about sport in general and they'll quickly learn that the rugby public is different from the football audience. To give you an example, in South America it's not allowed to sell beer or any alcohol inside the stadium, thanks to the constant misbehaviours of football fans.

Let me tell you an anecdote to illustrate my point. The game in Rosario kicked off at 8 pm, so me, my dad and a friend arrived at the stadium around 6 and were on our non numbered seats at around 6.15. The stadium began to fill and by 7.40 (just 20' before kick off), a dude with a bully look and his gilfriend walked into the row in front of us and stood there. The players were warming up and running some drills on the pitch so we were all looking at them. A woman behind me shouted at them "Hey, we arrived two hours ago to have a good spot, so please sit down!", and the guy turned around with a bedazzled look and said "I´m sorry ma'am, but is this sport watched sitting down? I'm honestly asking." The woman looked at him and laughed, he apologized and sat down for most of the match.

So yeah, I'm hopeful it can be done haha. Besides, the audience were mostly teammates wearing the same jerseys, families, friends and guys with their girlfriends, no hooligans whatsoever.

Cheers

El Pibe October 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Juggernauter, cada vez q podes tiras mierda contra Argentina, q chilote que sos.

Pretzel October 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Wow, you're a nice guy El Pibe, well done for proving MY point about football fans turning to rugby!

Feddderico October 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Agree with you Pretzel.

Juggernauter October 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Compadre no he insultado a Argentina, de hecho me encanta el país y creo que Buenos Aires es una ciudad fantástica... Los gringos no entienden bien la forma en que los países latinos vivimos el deporte, creen que somos semi delincuentes, y creo que les estamos dando la razón cuando apuntamos con lasers a los pateadores. Yo creo que es cosa de tiempo hasta que entendamos que el rugby es distinto del futbol y por eso requiere de otra actitud al ser público. Como neutral yo lo pasé genial en Rosario, y espero con ansias volver el próximo año, pero el anunciador pidió varias veces silencio durante las patadas de Harris y rogó tres veces quen o usaran lásers. Creo que todo tiene un límite.

El Pibe October 09, 2012 3:52 am

Jagger disculpa quizás me sobrepase un poco, es que he visto post tuyos anteriores, x ejmplo uno q hablas mal de Roncero y quizás vengo un poco ya susceptible ante lo que pones. Concuerdo con vos en que esas actitudes que mencionas no son propias del rugby pero tmb para hablar no podemos desconocer la realidad argentina. El rugby es un deporte q se hizo masivo para el público en los últimos y mucha gente nueva no entiende los valores de este deporte, muchos de los cuales son los que van a la cancha. Estos, como dicen acá vienen del palo del fútbol, pasa algo parecido con el tenis en la Davis. Así q a pesar de q encuentro mal los chiflidos, insultos etc, me parece q tenemos q ser un poco más pacientes, explicarles a los q nos ven de afuera como es la cosa, predicar con el ejemplo y fomentar con el.ejemplo. No sirve venir a un blog a decir q todo es una vergüenza, sacado de contexto. Y por último, desde mi punto de vista esta mal chillar, pero sin justificarlo para nada top nos rasguemos las vestiduras xq en todas partes del mundo lo hacen excepto en irlanda , donde hacen un culto del respeto. Sin más y perdón x la extensión, saludos

El Pibe October 09, 2012 4:04 am

Haha Well, I post that with my cellphone. I dont know if it is very crear but I think u can get the general idea. Cheers

Ps: Pretzel eat my pants

Jon October 09, 2012 6:07 am

El Pibe, I'm fine with all of the stuff except the laser.
The whistling, the swearing, booing, screaming and shouting, all that stuff is fine.
The laser is not. It's ridiculous.

Having said that, it's one idiot in the crowd. So we should keep it in context. You can't blame Argentinian rugby for one idiot.

Pretzel October 09, 2012 2:06 pm

El Pibe, as I said, Good job showing your class!

Juggernauter October 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Como latinos creo que podemos entender mejor por qué pasan estas cosas. Si el rugby tuviese un auge tipo Argentina, el nuevo público también serían "ex futbolistas" y no me quiero ni imaginar como reaccionarian los miembros de la Garra Blanca de Colo Colo frente a un árbitro de rugby que da penales jaja....

El tema es que hay tanto de bueno en las hinchadas de este lado que es una lástima que esa reputación se manche con estupideces como un puntero láser.

Respecto a lo de Roncero, eso es otra cosa, todas las veces que lo he visto jugar (por TV han sido muchas), siempre anda metido en algo, se pelea con todos, tira rodillazos, codazos, patadas, piñas, etc, es penalero, etc. Quizás eso no es tan grave (hay varios rugbistas que lo hacen) pero creo que me molesta aun más porque todo el equipo de ESPN (Taquini, Coccia, Alessandrini, Altberg, Simone, y en menor medida de Vedia, Albanese y Conrad) se ríen cuando ven estas cosas en vez de condenarlas, y su nivel de admiración y amor por los Pumas está muy bien como hinchas, pero es intolerable como comentaristas de la cadena de deportes más grande de Sudamérica.

Creo que lo que los Pumas han hecho es ENORME pero es una lástima que el chauvinismo exagerado de los comunicadores me haya alejado de este equipo. Ojalá esto cambie en el futuro, pero bueh, así somos acá.

Saludos!

Juggernauter October 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Perdona, en el primer párrafo quise decir "Si en Chile el rugby tuviese un auge..."

Feddderico October 08, 2012 8:24 pm

El pibe.. sabes ingles? leiste bien lo que puso Juggernauter? No tiro mierda para Argentina. Y además concuerdo con lo que se esta comentando aca, esas actitudes futboleras no van con el rugby.. (putear al arbitro por cualquier boludes, el laser y demas) Me parecen actos bochornosos que no van con el deporte y hay que ver como se mejoran. Saludos

paquirri October 09, 2012 4:09 pm

I don ´t remember aussies being so happy afeter winning a world than after Suturday´s victory. That speaks a lot about Argentina´ s growth and the shape of things to come.

tatafu October 13, 2012 12:51 am

I must say that as Argentinian I'm ashamed of this peoples attitude. I wanted it to be a nice international event as it deserved, not that dirty thing of whistling or the laser. And im pretty sure that football supporters were the guilty ones, because all that stuff doesn't happen in rugby matches here in Rosario. Also I heard that there were some ''Barras'' of Rosario Central (the stadium's club) who didn't gave the respect that this match deserves. Pd. Im so sorry for what happened and I hope it'll change. However it was such a honor to have you here in my city taking part on such event. Thank you so much for comming and I hope you'll come again next year.

juan October 16, 2012 5:06 am

I was in the stadium that day, and I and hundreds of people this stupid hastle laser to give the beating he deserved ... in the stadium had 45000 people, do not judge all because of a stupid.