Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Streaker starts mass brawl after tackle

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Why you should always tackle low

Southland sensational try after big bump

Ludovic Mercier crazy reverse pass

WIN Rugby Speaker of the Year tickets!

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sonny Bill Williams in Japan - Panasonic Wild Knights vs Yamaha

Many of you have been curious about Sonny Bill Williams is doing in Japan, so from time to time we'll post a video featuring him in action. Above is a look at the Panasonic Wild Knights' latest game from Round 6 of the Top League, against Yamaha.

Despite the huge signing of Williams, Panasonic actually have a lot of home-grown talent, with only about 7 foreigners in a squad of 40+ players. Amongst those are Kiwi Mike Delany, and Australian Sam Norton-Knight, who spent some time in the UK a few seasons back.

The video is quite long but some of the best SBW bits happen around 1:40, with a nice offload around the corner for a Akihito Yamada try, and a little kick ahead at 5:10 which set up another lovely try. The conditions are good so the general play is at a decent tempo.

Yamada got a hat-trick, and the Wild Knights won the game 35-18.

Time: 12:25
Credit to youtuber Blacklion1192

Posted in Japan Top League

Ottawa Rugger October 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Man, Yamada seems like quite the player. And I like the crowd interaction from the teams at the end. I really wish I could watch more Japanese Rugby, but I can't seem to find any websites/channels that will broadcast the games. Pity

Rugby_SH9 October 16, 2012 7:41 pm

Interesting article I found about Yamada, apparently he plays rugby and american football http://ajw.asahi.com/article/sports/topics/AJ201209180005

Neil October 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Good fun and interesting to see a Japanese game.
Sonny Bills pass at 3:54 was blatantly forward, the 22 line making it even more so.

Russ October 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Ok I haven't seen much of Japanese rugby - but from what I can see - it is schoolboy level. And to think that the best talent around the world goes there to hibernate for cash for a season or two is tragic.

Fritz October 17, 2012 7:22 am

Not to sound like I'm totally disagreeing with you but, don't you think it's a little harsh to think they're going to Japan just to labor for money? I guess both sides have merit but then again, it's diversifying the sport to Asia..

Ottawa Rugger October 19, 2012 12:11 am

You shouldn't expect Super Rugby quality play in all countries of the world...speaking from another tier 2 country, I'd kill to have a professional league anywhere near this quality. It's still a developing sport in a country like Japan, so let's try and take a global perspective to this

Fritz October 19, 2012 5:19 pm

I agree with you completely.

Canadian content November 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Well said Ottawa Rugger, with a league we wouldn't be limited to checking out this sight every 15 minutes.

SWB looks like he's having a good time, lucky f@#Ker.