U15 Tyrese Johnson-Fisher viral video!

Jamie Heaslip accepts Pape apology

Sergio Parisse on the art of Number 8

Form based British & Irish Lions 2017

Sean O'Brien's monster ruck cleanout

Controversial card for Lowes low tackle

Ireland retain 6 Nations on dramatic day

Rene Ranger set to return to New Zealand

Hawick hold out Heriots for 66 phases!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sonny Bill Williams in Japan - Panasonic Wild Knights vs Yamaha

Many of you have been curious about Sonny Bill Williams is doing in Japan, so from time to time we'll post a video featuring him in action. Above is a look at the Panasonic Wild Knights' latest game from Round 6 of the Top League, against Yamaha.

Despite the huge signing of Williams, Panasonic actually have a lot of home-grown talent, with only about 7 foreigners in a squad of 40+ players. Amongst those are Kiwi Mike Delany, and Australian Sam Norton-Knight, who spent some time in the UK a few seasons back.

The video is quite long but some of the best SBW bits happen around 1:40, with a nice offload around the corner for a Akihito Yamada try, and a little kick ahead at 5:10 which set up another lovely try. The conditions are good so the general play is at a decent tempo.

Yamada got a hat-trick, and the Wild Knights won the game 35-18.

Time: 12:25
Credit to youtuber Blacklion1192

Posted in Japan Top League

Ottawa Rugger October 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Man, Yamada seems like quite the player. And I like the crowd interaction from the teams at the end. I really wish I could watch more Japanese Rugby, but I can't seem to find any websites/channels that will broadcast the games. Pity

Rugby_SH9 October 16, 2012 7:41 pm

Interesting article I found about Yamada, apparently he plays rugby and american football http://ajw.asahi.com/article/sports/topics/AJ201209180005

Neil October 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Good fun and interesting to see a Japanese game.
Sonny Bills pass at 3:54 was blatantly forward, the 22 line making it even more so.

Russ October 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Ok I haven't seen much of Japanese rugby - but from what I can see - it is schoolboy level. And to think that the best talent around the world goes there to hibernate for cash for a season or two is tragic.

Fritz October 17, 2012 7:22 am

Not to sound like I'm totally disagreeing with you but, don't you think it's a little harsh to think they're going to Japan just to labor for money? I guess both sides have merit but then again, it's diversifying the sport to Asia..

Ottawa Rugger October 19, 2012 12:11 am

You shouldn't expect Super Rugby quality play in all countries of the world...speaking from another tier 2 country, I'd kill to have a professional league anywhere near this quality. It's still a developing sport in a country like Japan, so let's try and take a global perspective to this

Fritz October 19, 2012 5:19 pm

I agree with you completely.

Canadian content November 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Well said Ottawa Rugger, with a league we wouldn't be limited to checking out this sight every 15 minutes.

SWB looks like he's having a good time, lucky f@#Ker.

Seni M October 26, 2014 1:14 pm

I live in south africa I'm looking for a rugby club to play for I play lock and flank. Email: senimhlongo94@gmail.com