Biggest Hits in World Rugby in August

Horwill & Bismarck Du Plessis slaps

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Ludovic Mercier crazy reverse pass

Joe Marler and his unsual pets

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Tana Umaga smashes into brother Mike

Mike Brown's great try saving tackle

Friday, October 26, 2012

Francois Trinh-Duc creates magical try for Julien Tomas vs Sale

Flyhalf Francois Trinh-Duc was instrumental in Montpellier's 33-18 pool six Heineken Cup win over Sale last weekend. He scored their opening try and later set up this classic with a delicate chip and chase and then a brilliant inside pass.

Sale suffered their seventh defeat in eight games, but are still in contention, tied with Montpellier in second place in pool six behind leaders Toulon, who they will face twice before January.

"It got a bit messy and sloppy for us, and we must give credit to Francois Trinh Duc. He set up two great tries with chip kicks and finished one himself," said Sale head coach Bryan Redpath.

"Winning here is a difficult challenge and winning matches in Europe is hard. We did that last weekend against the Blues and we've come here and given a reasonable account of ourselves."

The Montpellier pack took charge in the second half, allowing the number ten to do what he does best as he sparked an incredible period of play that included this superb effort.

The home side failed to secure a bonus point but on a personal note Trinh-Duc showed why he'll no doubt play a major role in France's upcoming matches against Australia, Argentina, and Samoa.

Posted at 9:25 am | 22 comments

Posted in Great Tries

LuckyCanuk October 26, 2012 3:30 pm

Why are Sale defensive players not sprinting back to help the deep 3 defensive tacklers?!?!

Guy October 26, 2012 3:31 pm

The move is quite simple but great vision by Trinh Duc, seeing that the more obvious option (number 4) was covered by the Sale defense.

The French commentators, again, are just as 'superbe!!!!!' I have to say.

moddeur October 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Is it just my imagination or does Julien Thomas' wristband (the scrum-half who scored the try) read: "GG" for "Good Game", as a reference to the catch-phrase of the Anglo-French rugby rivalry? (ie. in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Will Carling, the England captain, would say "sorry good game" to French players after each English victory in the "Crunch", just to rub it in a bit deeper).

Pretzel October 26, 2012 8:01 pm

You're quite full of random pearls of wisdom moddeur... I have no idea, I can't say I noticed his wristbands, although GG could be a girlfriends initials? Children? Charity? Friend... could be anything... no idea if it could be linked to Will Carling...however thats a fair few years before JT's time... so might be stretching it a bit... unless Will Carling played for Sale?!?!?

moddeur October 27, 2012 12:26 am

It just seemed important, the way he showed his left wristband's message to the camera after scoring this try. Here in France Will Carling's messages still haunt a lot of international players and their descendents. It was the ultimate rub-in, both polite and horrible at the same time.

Colombes October 27, 2012 5:06 pm

we all know the famous carling replic in the 90's, but i don't think thomas message is related to that ;) more a joke between friends

i also don't think new generations of rugbymen are obsessed with it. in the 90's, french players felt easily in english provocations, and their unic answer was often frustration and violence. now, u can see that they manage to use the same "rub-in" or mind games.

Pretzel October 27, 2012 9:49 pm

It's interesting, I had never heard of the Carling incident, I can see how of course as a French player it would be hard to react to Will Carlings comments, as he said them in a "polite" way... So obviously if they lashed out, he would defend himself saying "I didn't mean anything nasty, I was being genuine" etc..

I can't really omment on whether it is related to the wristband. But it's an interesting bit of knowledge.

stroudos October 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Over-sensitive Frenchmen I reckon. In almost every game of rugby I've ever played (in England), it's quite normal when shaking hands at the end - regardless ofthe score - to say "good game" or "well played". Just another of the great things about the game of rugby - general good manners and a feeling that as soon as the final whistle goes all animosity is left on the field.

Having said that of course, I'm sure if Will Carling knew it would annoy the French, he would have made a point of saying it deliberately to wind them up.

moddeur October 30, 2012 11:15 am

What made Carling so good at tormenting the French back then was that he added "sorry": "sorry, good game".

stroudos October 29, 2012 6:19 pm

*Grands GĂ©nitaux*

Pretzel October 30, 2012 1:12 am

Lol.... you never know... could be exactly what it means..

Ottawa Rugger October 26, 2012 4:02 pm

I'm really impressed by the patience to let the ball bounce favourably after his up-and-under.
Not so impressed by the Sale defence and how they just resign themselves to a line break

bnations October 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Trin Duc chipped over a couple of the heavies, so frankly it wouldn't have made much difference whether they sprinted or not. The backs were on the other side of the field, and did eventually catch him but they had a lot of ground to make up to get there. If you look closely, the "fullback" was actually a second rower.

bnations October 26, 2012 6:03 pm

What a sublime piece of skill to draw 3 of the 4 rear guard defenders before passing inside. That, more so than the flick pass itself impressed me.

flanker2712 October 26, 2012 7:20 pm

I make a point of not reading the description before watching the video so as not to know what to expect. I have to admit I thought he was running down a dead-end and the chance had gone, but it seems like he knew exactly what he was doing and finished with a brilliant pass.

Nothing to do with the rugby, but great work by the cameraman at the end also - did well to see it was Trinh-Duc in the foregorund and was able to capture his mix of exhaustion, relief and whatever else. The French TV editors seem to go over the top with "artictic" shots, but this one was worth it.

Pretzel October 26, 2012 8:04 pm

I was surprised when Trinh-Duc was left out of some games (as a starter) behind um, Parra? I don't know who I would rate as a better 10, but Tran-duck has always been someone I've enjoyed watching play (on the rare occasions) he always looks very "into" the game but also cool and calm... you've got Dusautoir in the forwards "cool, calm, collected, does hard graft" and I feel Tran-Duck in the backs is a similar character... maybe I'm wrong..

Colombes October 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Nice to see Trinh-Duc coming back well before autumn internationals
Like Michalak, is one of the rare french 10 who prefer to attack the line than to do the automatic 1st pass or kick in touch. when he plays with liberty, he's able to repeat these wonder actions.

His weakness, like many french 10, his kicking... (even if here, his little cheap and chase was nice) in french selection, scrum-halves (parra and yach) are the game and kick leaders, so trinh-duc just have to dynamise attacks, but then, he becomes more predictable for defenders.

if he could develop his kicking game, he would be more complete and could offer more possibilities. think st-andré will install him for 2015

Canadian content October 27, 2012 11:39 pm

I agree Pretzel I never understood the policy to select Parra ahead of Trinh-Duc, I thought he lit the up the all blacks in the RWC final (no I haven't let that go).

stroudos October 28, 2012 10:41 pm

I heard during the world cup that Trinh-Duc had fallen out with a lot of his team-mates and was considered a disruptive influence in the squad. Anyone know any more about that? I'm sure I remember the commentators on British TV saying that some of the other French players couldn't stand him for some reason...

serginho October 30, 2012 12:03 am

Parra is mostly playing as scrum half, when Trinh Duc can only play 10, he surely is a brillant player but was rather inconsistent in blue, and had had some really scrappy games.
But he is the next talent at this position for France, without a doubt, what he does in a less dominant team like Montpellier is huge
Watch for him for the international tests , and for Fickou as well if you have time

maddercow March 25, 2013 8:52 pm

If they can't stand him why did French players vote him player of the year in 2011? Weird lot the French.