Female Streaker has no regrets

Closing montage from Heineken Cup final

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Top 5 Australian Rugby Lookalikes ever

Joe Marler and his unsual pets

James Haskell's wasp related banter

Horwill & Bismarck Du Plessis slaps

George Pisi hit makes Shane Geraghty ill

Monday, October 29, 2012

Juan De Jongh scores great try vs Sharks, celebrates with Gangnam Style

Above is a quick look at Juan De Jongh's great try in the Currie Cup final against the Sharks on Saturday. Western Province won 25-18, ending the 11-year drought since they last won in 2001.

Unfortunately just as De Jongh was getting into his routine, the cameras switched to a woman in the crowd wearing a blue wig, but you'll get the gist of it.

Full highlights to follow. Check out the related posts for more De Jongh brilliance.

Juan De Jongh's big hit breaks Ben Tapuai's collarbone

The Stormers edge the Blues in another dramatic game

Western Province vs Natal Sharks - Currie Cup final 2001

Currie Cup best tries mix - Round 5

Stormers outplay the Waratahs to reach the Super 14 final

stroudos October 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Heeeeey sexy lady!

Not usually a fan of try celebrations, but I'll make an exception for a bit of Gangnam style...

Guy October 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Actually, I am more and more getting used to this kind of stuff. It does relate to the younger viewers and as long as the don't pull their shirt over their heads and run away from the players that did most of the work leading up to the try, I quite enjoy it.

Please don't look at any comments I made a year or longer ago because I have a sneaky suspision that my opinion has changed 180 degrees.

Bokfan October 29, 2012 2:39 pm

lol, loving the celebration! He should seriously be in good contention for the Autumn series.

On another note, wish people would stop thinking that Frans Malherbe is the next big thing -- the beast destroyed him in that game, I don't think he's the answer. His defense is okay, though. I've got nothing against him; he just recieves a lot of unwarranted praise.

FoXtroT October 29, 2012 3:29 pm

I don't see why some people tend to get all agro over try celebrations. On the most part they are just a bit of fun (although it must be said I wasn't a very happy chappy when this one happened), some celebrations can be a bit provocative but on the most part its a good way for a player to express his delight over a great try. We are seeing it more often these days but its harmless really. I still think Breyton Paulse had the best celebrations though.

Guy October 29, 2012 3:51 pm

The Paulse celebration was quite spectacular indeed.

My second favourite is the Digby Ioane 'caterpillar' and the best one by far (in my opinion off course) was the Rene Ranger copy of the Digby Ioane caterpillar. I almost wet my pants laughing on that one.

stroudos October 29, 2012 6:16 pm

@FoXtroT - just as long as the try-scorer always appreciates the fact it's a team game and there's almost no such thing as a solo try.

katman October 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Great try. If you're going to step and hand-off like that, you can do a Michael Flatley routine for all I care.

moddeur October 29, 2012 6:50 pm

I am still fundamentally opposed to overblown try celebrations (dances for instance).

This weekend I played in a tournament, and on the way back from the field and to the dressing rooms, we forwards were walking along ahead, talking about the things we screwed up ("I missed one tackle, what about you?") while 10 meters behind us the backs were all excitedly talking about their tries. Just saying ...

stroudos October 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Sounds like your (and your fellow forwards') glass is half full to me mate. Did you win the game/tourny? If you won, you need to bloody cheer up!!

Mind you, I'm the same and I'm a back! Tackled like Dusautoir on Saturday, (well in terms of work-rate and tackles completed anyway!), but the main memory I can think about is the one I missed where a bastard threw an outrageous dummy and I completely bought it.

moddeur October 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Hell yeaaaaah we won! (not a single team managed to score a try against us, in four matches of 30mn each)
It's just that my forward pals and I are perfectionists :)
I missed one tackle too, at the kickoff of the 2nd half of the 4th (and last) game. By then my arms were like marshmallows, all bloated and spongy, and I just couldn't stop that n°14 who caught the kickoff and came right at me with a good 15-20 meters acceleration. I got sidestepped and only hit him with an arm. Very embarrassing, especially considering that I was doing pushups on the field right before the kickoff (pushups to stay warm because it was freezing, damp, and windy).

Yoshi October 30, 2012 12:55 am

Bad missed tackle here by Keegan Daniel. In the same breath, a superb hand off by De Jongh. If only he could do that kind of stuff for the Boks. he has a bright future, so here's hoping.

Nick November 01, 2012 9:12 am

If only Heyneke decides to pick him! first he dropped him for JJ Engelbrecht WTF! And then he chooses a full back Jaco Taute ahead of him. Somebody help that man!

Canadian content October 30, 2012 1:36 am

My gf is not a real fan of rugby, but she laughed watching this video. It's not my thing, but it can only attract more people to the game.

Oh moddeur i feel for you, I really do.

RD PLEASE TEE THIS UP TO THE SONG.

RSAImpi October 30, 2012 8:10 am

I have often seen players that have scored an amazing try be all hyped and have too much adrenalin when the game continues again. So if this dancing after scoring brings them back to focused mode, then go ahead. Even those players that walk away from a try like nothing happened feel it on the inside, they just dont show it, but the adrenalin is there and makes them fidgety.

Love this try

DanielW October 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Am i the only one that is basking in the glory of De Jonghs hand-off on a springbok number 8 in Keagan Daniel. He made him look like his bitch and then stepped Mvovo to the point of him not even making an attempt. It made my week and not only because im a province supporter but because that perfect balance of strength, power, speed, acceleration and agility all linked up to score one of the tries of the season. Text book training ground move working to its fullest, thats the kind of rugby i love to watch over and over again, as well as Willem Alberts power runs.

Gonzoman October 31, 2012 10:34 pm

I always think of the advice one of my coaches gave me years ago: "act like you've been there before, and like you'll be there again".

I find these dance routines a little bit much, but I guess I'm a little conservative that way. I can understand if it was the winning try at the close of the match, but let's face it: De Jongh had a fair bit more rugby to play.

If it's like RSAImpi says, and they're blowing off steam then so be it. I personally think there are less "NFL" ways to celebrate.