Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Ben Tameifuna massive fend on huge prop

Prop lays into fullback with big shot

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Step and unbelievable dummy sets up try

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Ben Flower red card for vicious punches

Southland sensational try after big bump

Thursday, November 01, 2012

Edinburgh's Netani Talei manhandled over his tryline by Munster

Round two of the Heineken Cup produced plenty of action and all sorts of interesting moments, including this from Munster's 33-0 demolition of Edinburgh at Thomond Park. In the first half Munster made their intentions clear up front.

Munster had led just 6-0 at halftime, but scored four tries in the second half to secure a bonus point. First number nine Conor Murray crossed, then they scored three late tries, through Peter O'Mahony, Sean Dougall and Damien Varley.

Edinburgh lost 45-0 to Saracens in the opening round so this heavy defeat added to their troubles, and while they may have thought they were off the hook early on when Donncha O'Callaghan failed to collect a Keatley cross-field kick, the resultant scrum proved to be a kick in the teeth.

Number eight Netani Talei picked up at the base only to be smashed back like a rag doll by a red wave of Munster forwards, lead by halfback Murray and flank Sean Dougal. Talei landed up way back over his own tryline, and a statement was well and truly made.

Edinburgh, last year's semi-finalists, now have little chance of success in Pool One as they failed to claim a point from the opening two rounds of games, conceding 78 points and not scoring any.

This moment probably best sums up their opening two fixtures.

"Losing your first two games and getting no points is a recipe for being out of the competition. You have to acknowledge that," said coach Michael Bradley.

"We are not necessarily worried about winning the Heineken Cup or the Amlin Challenge Cup now, we are more worried about winning the next match against the Scarlets at this stage."

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play, See it to Believe it

Brennie November 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Good presence of mind to keep pumping the legs, rather than go for a sharp hit

stroudos November 01, 2012 10:57 pm

Brutal. Pretty humiliating for the guy who's meant to be your big ball-carrier. Bit of unnecessary unpleasantness around the 1min mark, but it's more psychological than anything I suppose. Great technique by Munster 9 and 7, take a leg each and what can the bloke do? Bugger all, evidently.

Had to laugh at #6 flying over the top of it all at the end.

And this commentator - still don't know his name - has come up with another gold nugget: "That was nuclear defence". LOL.

Bowe Gathers November 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Commentator's name is 'Big' Jim Neilly, also responsible for this piece of magic at the mike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmpjxVv6Od8

stroudos November 02, 2012 4:49 pm

That is a cracking piece of commentary, but I'm pretty sure it's not the same bloke. This one has the most colourful vocabulary in rugby since Bill McLaren. One that always stands out in my memory is "well that was the sort of pass you give to someone who's just taken your last Rolo"!

ferrislad November 02, 2012 6:53 pm

mark robson is his name, jim neilly is the bbc guy

Pretzel November 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Quite embarrassing for an 8 to be man handled by a 9 there... Of course the 7 helped out, but still...

The psychological fist to the cheek thing and the pat on the head were a bit OTT but hardly citing worthy (as some are sure to claim)...

Guy November 02, 2012 1:07 am

Carefull, before you know some rugby-extremist will claim there was 'contact with the eye or eye-area' (therefore: gouging) and the player should subsequently have at least a 26 week ban...;-)

johndoe November 02, 2012 2:08 am

Embarrassing you're opposition like that doesn't happen too often so I guess you couldn't really have a better chance of a cheeky wind up than that. Can't say it looks too pleasant on TV, but it has a purpose.

Blackers November 02, 2012 1:42 pm

The tap on the head is banter and something you take when you've been humiliated like that. The fist on the face is OTT though

Full Back November 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Arra come on lads, it's not like he punched him, it's been a part of rugby since the dawn of the game, it's all put behind you in the aftermatch pints. It's part of the game and long may it last!

Pretzel November 03, 2012 12:13 am

I'm not saying I wouldn't do something equally as "naughty" as that, I have been known to use the back of someones head as something to push down on as I stand up leaving them eating dirt, similar has happened to me, normally ends up in some sort of argy bargy event, but it's not pleasant to see in this video.. a bit "ott" like we've said..

Of course as you rightly said afterwards when you're all having a pint etc its long gone, and as I said before I don't expect any pathetic citings for it....

Although now Guy mentions it, we can't quite see what his fingers are up to, I CALL GOUGE!

07015678 November 02, 2012 2:48 am

Edinburgh really have to pull it together this season now. They are well behind their best which isn't good enough for RD.

Guy November 02, 2012 9:51 am

I have the distinct impression that Edinburgh have difficulties with almost every opponent but they manage to scrape some wins.

However, when Visser the Elder is not playing, they find it really hard to score tries, as we saw in last two Heineken cup matches (I know he played half a match against Sarries). Curious what will happen this weekend at Ulster.

Full Back November 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Going on current Ulster form I'd say they're in for a hiding!

Guy November 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Well, I guess you were right. Competed well in the first half but faded in the second act.

Colombes November 02, 2012 11:58 am

i didn't follow too much munster last matchs, but despite their old O' glories, there is still a strong "forwards" tradition with the munstermen. Talei discovered surf during a rugby game

not very pleasant provocations after the collapsing maul

Amahon November 02, 2012 1:46 pm

I love Peter O'Mahony. He could start a fight in an empty room.

cheyanqui November 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Teams like Munster have strong traditions, and always have guys waiting in the wings to take the mantle. In this case, it's Denis Leamy's mantle.

Meerkat November 02, 2012 1:58 pm

All this talk of the afters following the collapsing maul is soft. Nothing like a little bit of mental intimidation following a good hit. Toughen up you weak minded individuals.

kencon November 02, 2012 2:12 pm

BOOM ,,that's embarrassing for an eight ,,,, and the look in the Munster players faces shows the want and the hunger in them ,,, LOVE IT :)

Lanzaman November 02, 2012 3:33 pm

You sure it's not Mark Robson ??

Redder November 02, 2012 3:50 pm

That was Mark Robson commentating. Jim Neilly doesn't work for Sky.

stroudos November 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Thank you Redder, that's him. Bloody brilliant!

Wingman November 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Love donnacha ryan flying in at the end like a madman. Class...

Reality November 02, 2012 11:59 pm

Kind of reminds me of this moment from the past: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzExIqWZXYI

Hopefully history will repeat itself like it did here, and Munster will go on to win the cup.

HeavyHooker November 03, 2012 2:30 am

I'm still trying to figure out what #6 was doing throwing himself on top of the pile.

Pretzel November 03, 2012 2:41 pm

I'm thinking he was either making a last gasp effort to grab the ball from the number 8 just in case he got his hands free to offload it, or he was attempting to squash the entire maul, one side pushing one way, the other side pushing the other way.. and the #6 decides to flatten the whole thing by landing on top of them both...

Moo November 06, 2012 12:23 am

Cracking tackle and leg drive - massive! But what was the Superman about at the end? The fist in the face looked a bit stupid. However, I'm sure the patting, etc. would have been the last thing on the 8's mind after being wiped out like that. He looked shell-shocked.

But I don't like the patting on the head thing. It's done too much (Lawrence Dallaglio used to do it to the oppo after knocks-on and it used to piss me off - and I'm English!). Personally, I wouldn't argue if the pat-ee were to 'pat' back. But it's nowhere near a citing, surely? Who suggested that?

On a tenuously-related point, the thing I really can't stand is when someone hits a try-scorer with a late one after the score (I should point out it was something I did not see in this particular game). That seems to be ignored far too often by refs. I bet if someone from scoring team were to kick off after one of these incidents, they would be held to account and the cheap-shot merchant would get off scot-free!

(climbs off soap box)

Pretzel November 06, 2012 11:47 am

It's happened in the past, or at least something similar has happened, I believe it was Wycliff Palu, he scored a try and in the process felt he was stiff armed to the jaw and so he got up and threw some digs (not sure if any connected), he ended up scoring the try and getting a yellow card at the same time... I saw a video of it once, but it has since been deleted and appears blank in my favourites on YT... I have yet to find it again...

Thats the RD post on the incident, but the video has been removed....