Lee Jones makes huge trysaving tackle

Test Rugby Results - Nov 15th weekend

Toulon DVD - En Route Vers Le Doublé

Prop Adam Jones' drop goal attempt

Nigel Owens makes not straight comment

WIN the rugby tour of a lifetime with IG

5 Nominations for IRPA Try of the Year

Willem Alberts dancing alone in the gym

Alesana Tuilagi trademark crunching hit

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Bryan Habana awarded IRPA Try of the Year 2012 for try vs All Blacks

Springbok flyer Bryan Habana has been awarded the 2012 International Rugby Players Association (IRPA) Try of the Year for his great chip and chase effort against the All Blacks in Dunedin, scored during the inaugural Rugby Championship.

The award is some consolation for a player that many may have expected to be included on the IRB Player of the Year shortlist, which was announced yesterday.

The shortlist features Richie McCaw, Dan Carter, Frederic Michalak, and Owen Farrell.

Having suffered from a lack of form in recent seasons, Habana came back firing this year with some top quality performances for both the Stormers and Springboks, usually typified by an incredible workrate in both attack and defence.

He was named SARU (South African Rugby Union) Player of the Year for 2012, and this try was also named South Africa's Try of the Year. The try added to his total of 47 Test tries.

"Scoring a try against the All Blacks is always special, but scoring against them in New Zealand, is even more special," Habana said.

"I really enjoyed getting across the try-line in Dunedin – contributing to the success of the team and also lifting the spirits of my teammates. Winning this Award is very special and hopefully I can continue scoring tries for the Springboks for a very long time," he added.

The other tries included on the IRPA Try Of the Year shortlist were those scored by Julian Savea, Julien Malzieu, and Hosea Gear. Along with online votes from global rugby fans, the final decision was made by a panel of Jaque Fourie, Mils Muliaina, Shane Williams, and Daisuke Ohata.

Unfortunately an injury meant Habana wasn't available for the end of year tour.

Previous winners:
2011 – Radike Samo (Australia) – Australia v New Zealand
2010 – Chris Ashton (England) – England v Australia
2009 – Jaque Fourie (South Africa) – South Africa v British & Irish Lions
2008 – Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland) – Australia v Ireland

Shortlist for IRPA Try of the Year 2012 announced

Radike Samo's IRPA Try of the Year 2011

Chris Ashton try that won IRPA Try of the Year 2010

IRPA Try of the Year 2009 awarded to Jaque Fourie

Posted in Great Tries

Paul November 29, 2012 6:12 pm

No Way! Gillies Kaka scored the best one! http://youtu.be/BzXmd1BXN3k from min: 1,40

Alex November 29, 2012 6:23 pm

A farce, as was the IRB nominations. Dagg and Reid left out - Reid should win it let alone be nominated.

As for the try, Gear should have won hands down - every player who touched it did somethiing to perfection and then the sit down at the end to top it off was amazing. Habana sliced the kick and was lucky it didn't go out for a line-out.

McCaw should win this year, as he should have last year, but can see it going to Carter as he has only won one and McCaw three.

Rugby politics are getting like football's.

Pretzel November 29, 2012 8:07 pm

I'd still pick Landajo's try over any of these and over Reid's...

Canadian content November 30, 2012 1:13 am

Completely agree, Argentina royally screwed this year with no lobbe nomination as well

stroudos November 30, 2012 10:34 am

Think Alex means Read for IRB Player of the year, which I wholeheartedly agree with. He's been immense all season.

al_woody7 November 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Correct!

Reid was a cut above the rest of the all blacks in the summer tours. McCaw, Reid, Carter, Dagg, Lobbe, North if he had been playing this Autumn.

Felipe Argentina November 29, 2012 6:48 pm

I don't see any greatness in this try; I mean, is this enough to be the try of the year? It's mediocre.

Jon November 30, 2012 1:14 am

That's very harsh. It's a great try, it's certainly not mediocre.

Whether it's try of the year? Probably not, imo, I reckon Landajo's was better, Gear's too, but this is still an excellent try.

But don't be so negative, jesus, it's completely subjective anyway.

Gonzoman November 29, 2012 6:53 pm

I agree...not the most impressive effort, and the chip and chase was certainly very lucky, given how badly the kick was sliced!

Reality November 29, 2012 8:21 pm

I actually feel sick watching this 'try of the year'. I mean they barely get the ball out of the lineout because of their dithering, then Cruden seems to just do a matador act, Habana slices the kick horribly, and then somehow scores. What is actually good about that? I don't think this is even a good try, let alone the best of the year.

My idea of the best try of the year would be one that you could show to someone who doesn't watch rugby and have them marvel at the speed, skill and intricate passing involved. If someone who didn't watch rugby saw this, he'd probably laugh and say that rugby seems to be very disjointed and based on lucky bounces.

stroudos November 30, 2012 10:57 am

Don't know where you - and a couple of others - get this idea that he sliced the kick. From the angle he's holding the ball it looked quite deliberately aimed. He's chipped the ball into the only space available. Any straighter and Dagg had it covered.

Reality November 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Bah, it's debatable. I'd argue that if you were kicking to the corner in that situation, you wouldn't do it off the side of your boot like that making it spin wildly, because the spin that you'd put on it would make it very likely to bounce out into touch. Tommy Bowe did it against France and got a great bounce and scored, but it was still lucky.

Anyway, on purpose or not, I still don't think the try is at all impressive. For me, a simple chip and chase off messy lineout ball is not the try of the year.

stroudos December 01, 2012 1:23 pm

Totally agree with your second paragraph anyway. Especially if you're allowed to consider tries like Landajo's - against the All Blacks, which seems to be some people's rationale for Habana's try winning.

I reckon Habana himself will be thinking "WTF?" a bit over this one. It's not even the best try HE's scored this year, let alone everyone else.

katman November 29, 2012 9:10 pm

Jeepers, all this bitterness is not a particularly good look. I know it doesn't always seem that way, but the IRB are not compelled by law to give everything to a Kiwi.

On the upside, they left both Fernandez Lobbe and Picomoles off the Player of the Year shortlist so they could squeeze two Kiwis in. That must count for something.

Pretzel November 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Well, I suppose we should add: "Congratulations to Bryan Habana" I mean he scored the try and it wasn't his fault it was short-listed and subsequently picked for this award. It wasn't his job to make it look pretty, it was his job to score it, which is totally fair enough but hey, if they felt he deserved it for that try, then it's their choice, however I disagree with it.

I don't feel that any of the tries on that shortlist were particularly brilliant, yet many not included WERE...

As for player of the year, once again its a bit of a dull line up, I mean McCaw, Carter... have they actually done anything outstanding? I'm sure McCaw has been out of a few games this year (not saying you have to play everything), Carter.. well maybe?!?!... Owen Farrell? Excuse me? The guy only came on the scene in early 2012 didn't he? What's he done? I'd say there are far more deserving players within the English team than Farrell....not that I know their names...

Michelak? Has he shone this year? Maybe I've just missed all the fantastic moments...

katman November 29, 2012 11:15 pm

Farrell is a complete mystery. Maybe it's in recognition of the calming influence he had whenever he replaced Flood for a few minutes.

FoXtroT November 29, 2012 11:34 pm

I think out of all the players listed Michelak deserves it the most. If you watched him this year you could definitly say he has made a great comback. The way he played in the Super 15 helped bring the Sharks to the Final (he was integral to that feat) and he has revitalized his international career and is really playing well for France.

Jon November 30, 2012 1:20 am

I agree about Michalak, he actually has had an excellent year.
Played very well in Super Rugby, taking the Sharks to the final and then has dominated for France at the end of the year.
Can't hold his previous sketchy form against him, he has had the season of his life this year.

Farrel, wtf? That's absurd. Completely ridiculous. He got dropped by England! So he's the second string fly-half for a team that isn't playing all that well (no offense England but they haven't been setting the world on fire). And he's the player of the year? Ridiculous.

Carter and Mccaw have both played well (though Carter has missed as much rugby this year as he's played through injury).

Read, Savea and Dagg could all feel hard done by. As could Habana.
Sharpe has played very well this year in his last season, as has Lobbe. Maybe Sexton, Pocock or Etzbeth.

They're all alot more deserving than Owen bloody Farrell.

stroudos November 30, 2012 10:39 am

Jon:

On behalf of England, no offence taken mate. I like Farrell as a player, especially when he's given freedom to actually play, plus he seems a really decent bloke, but there is simply no rational explanation for his inclusion on this list.

Colombes November 30, 2012 12:40 pm

In the McCaw-Carter-Farrell-Michalak shortlist can't really say who deserve it the most... as i thought guys like Read, Dagg or Sexton could have been nominated.

McCaw, still influential captain and a poison in the rucks >> could be nominated for the palmares and tri-nations. Favorite 1

Carter, still the most consistent player in term of talent and kicks. he rarely does a bad match. picked some injuries. Favorite 2

Farrell is quite an enigma for me. The guy was very active during the 6N, but i haven't seen much of him after... and he's number 2 at his post in england squad. But with his kicking and defence, he has the cv to become a new wilko. Outsider 1

Michalak is the other enigma but in a reverse way as he suffered many injuries during the last 3 years. He seemed very refreshed after his way on super15 and his last 4 games for France were outstanding. Outsider 2

But IRB results never really matched with fans predictions

That Guy November 30, 2012 5:34 am

Come on champ. You're the last person who should be talking about bitterness with the amount of bile you spew about anything new zealand.

katman November 30, 2012 8:47 am

No man, don't be that guy.

klaphullebokke November 29, 2012 10:18 pm

People are little bit bitter here...

I would have picked Landajo's too. But I think the try is meant for individual brilliance rather than a team try. Also, how do you know he "sliced" it? It seems like the logical place to kick to consider there were outside defenders pushing him in -- just a bit bitter?

In my eyes, this was great: skill above power any day -- isn't that the Kiwi motto? Habana has done these kinds of tries quite a few times. What makes this one special is the opposition.

I don't know what the Kiwi's have to complain about: won the the World Cup against a really tough French -- your bogy team -- opposition; first Rugby Championship won; and this current team looks to make the next World Cup.

Cheer up guys :-).

Ted the slacker November 29, 2012 11:47 pm

Don't really know how you adjudicate these sorts of things. I mean as a Bok fan, I was stunned and delirious when Habana scored, and it's takes some skill to pull off a try like this. But I find length of the field team tries the most spectacular, so I'd probably have voted for Hosea Gear. But it's all pretty subjective.

Player of the year though, holy moly. Carter and McCaw, fair enough, great seasons both. But how they picked Farrell and Michalak is a scratcher... ahead of anyone from the unbeaten Wales 6N squad, Picamoles and Fofana who are the best French players right now, and at least a dozen others who stood out in SH Championship... crazy.

sam November 29, 2012 11:57 pm

Yes he scored the try, but it wasn't a good one! he was just incredibly lucky, as much as I love the Irish and hate the French, either Gear or Malzieu should have won. NZ got lucky ball and turned it into a good attack which Gear was good enough to finish, and Malzieu just showed incredibly individual skill (okay it was against Italy, but still).
And player of the year is a bit odd as well, personally I think Dagg should win it, I can see why Dan Carter is there, Michalak has made a good come back, I think McCaw is only there because he's McCaw. I liked Owen Farrell a lot, I was really happy to see he made it to England, his kicking is incredible, but I don't agree he's in the top 4 players of the year.

yupyupgup November 30, 2012 5:12 am

I am still wondering how Wales' Jonathan Davies try vs. Ireland in the six nations wasn't even shortlisted?

Frank B November 30, 2012 5:48 am

lol look at the expressionless faces of the 2 people working at the stadium in the background. Lighten up you two!

Frenchie November 30, 2012 6:42 am

Nice!
my opinion is still the same: The Kiwi crowd IS THE MOST BORING crowd on the planet. It seems nobody in the stands enjoys a great try when it is coming from a team other than the AB. Sad faces.

Mack November 30, 2012 1:16 pm

Mate, it isn't much different even when the AB's score. It's like the stadium is packed with boring old farts all the time. I wish our crowds had the passion and the atmosphere that they have in the northern hemisphere or Argentina. Now those are great crowds!

WelshOsprey November 30, 2012 8:02 pm

THAT was the best try anyone has scored this year? What a joke

muzi November 30, 2012 10:56 pm

this was a good try guys come on guys... what makes it even more special is the fact that it was scored against all blacks, so codos to Habana.

Frenchie December 02, 2012 2:53 am

@ Mack:

why is that? I don't get it. I believe it's because the crowd don't know the other teams, i mean in details. In the 2007 RWC in France i read in a newspaper that only 3 ABs could name their direct opponent on the pitch...incredible. That's maybe why the AB also lost on that day.

Thanks for your honest comment.