Carlos Spencer & Stephen Larkham fight

Dafydd Howells scores quickest try ever?

Closing montage from Heineken Cup final

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

Ma'afu banned for punch on Tom Youngs

George Pisi hit makes Shane Geraghty ill

Barbarians too good for England XV

England beat Baby Boks in JWC2014 final

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Is Carlin Isles the world's fastest rugby player?

This is the video everyone is talking about. In the last day it's spread across the net at a prolific pace, which is fitting considering the speed this guy gets around the field. From track to rugby, the USA's Carlin Isles is making waves on the Sevens circuit.

If you haven't seen it yet, below is a look at the man that many are calling the fastest rugby player on the planet. It seems early days to make such statements but the stats don't lie. With wind at his back, he reportedly has a personal best of 10.13 seconds for the 100m dash, which would have seen him qualify for the semi finals at the London Games earlier this year.

The 23-year-old was within the top 36 sprinters in the USA in 2012 and while he's made a change from athletics to rugby, it looks as though he may yet be on course for the Olympics, as part of Team USA at Rio 2016, where rugby sevens will make a long overdue comeback.

Having taken up rugby just a few months back, he shone on debut at the Gold Coast sevens. He actually got into the sport after a Youtube session led to him contacting another USA player, who had only good things to say about rugby, even though Isles says he didn't know of 7's then.

"The only thing I knew of was 15s, and then I saw 7s, and I was like, I'd be in heaven in this sport."

USA Rugby CEO Nigel Melville was contacted and after seeing Isles' sprint stats, recommended him to Eagles Sevens coach Alex Magleby. From there things snowballed and very soon after he was fast-tracked into the USA squad, with the Gold Coast Sevens in mind.

"I had a track career and now I am playing rugby and for that I am very thankful. When I see all the room on the pitch, it’s like Christmas to me. When we train, the width of the pitch is a little shorter, so I was like, 'I can run all day around these guys'," he said.

"I learn fast and I work hard and adapting from track to a team sport was an easy thing for me. Tracking is just all about you and doing your thing, but I’m a team player and I know that with my gift I can contribute a lot.

"I found the speed of the game a little frustrating at first. There are a lot of things that you have to remember to do. It's the little things and if you don’t do them right, you will have a problem. Rugby is very tough mentally as well as physically. I am finding it OK though.

"Of course, everybody needs to work on their game no matter how long they have been doing it, but I’m excited about what the future can bring," said Isles.

While Sevens is very different to fifteens in terms of the size of players, Isles is no beast at a fairly diminutive 5' 8" and 72kg. He isn't afraid of mixing it up though, saying he thrives on the contact.

"I love contact. I’m good at tackling. I love tackling. Rugby fits me perfectly, because I love tackling, I love running fast, I love running past people and I love being the fastest.

"Being able to play on this stage on the World Series and travel the world is something really special and I want to thank my coach and my team mates. I want to make my speed work for me and for the team and I'm still learning as I go, it's very exciting," said Isles.

In Sevens there is naturally a lot more space to exploit so you shouldn't compare the two, but when it comes to horses for courses, Isles is one of the most exciting prospects to come out of the USA.

Here is a quick look at some of his best bits in recent times, with more of the same on the horizon.

Time: 2:42
Credit: Rugbyplease, the IRB, and Rugbymag

Posted at 6:30 am | 89 comments

Posted in Great Tries, See it to Believe it

SpencaH December 12, 2012 10:46 am

Cant doubt that this guys has pace alright! And yes i do love the "we will sort out his defence later" quote but does it really matter in sevens when you can do this? And get lost all the trolls who are gonna moan that he would be eaten alive in 15's.....this isnt 15's its 7's!

Faster than Habana? Chavhanga? ngwenya ? Norton?

ncharlton0119 December 12, 2012 10:58 am

He is blisteringly quick. I'm just afraid the sort of fast tracking that he has received becomes more common. I would hate to see the "rugby" taken out of rugby 7's by the introduction of what I would call low rugby IQ track stars. I don't want the sport to become a speed race. I find much more entertaining the use of skills like pinpoint accurate kicking or insane passes you never saw coming, not the simple (yet hard to achieve) run faster than everyone else skill that track stars possess. This sport isn't a race. It's a game of skill, finesse, power, precision, mental strength under high pressure and fatigue as well as a game of speed.

Boggy December 12, 2012 11:34 am

I doubt even 7s will become as diluted as that. If you were to put seven track guys out there with seven rugby players, sure, the track guys might score every time they got the ball in space, but they wouldn't have the ability to get the ball to men in space and the rugby players would be able to retain possession and control the game. You would still need to have an actual rugby team there to support and supply the athletes...otherwise Kenya would never lose a game

SpencaH December 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Not sure that you can object to "low IQ track stars" being fast tracked into the sport when it is happening across the board in 7's and 15's. And not only for speed, but size too! How often are guys just in teams because they are bigger and stronger? So why not fitter/faster? Like it or not the game of 7's has been about speed for a long time...yes we love the skill and finesse that comes with it and we don't want that to disappear, but speed draws the crowds and we are all youtubing for the gas merchants not the double miss-switch-crossfield kick!

If this guy was playing for your home nation propelling you up the league table would you still hold to your point?

Ottawa Rugger December 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Not sure that's a fair comment. Having played American Football, he must know a great bit more about the general style of play that you might give him credit. Besides, it even says in the preamble that he knew 15s before he knew 7s, and so he knows where the basic idea of 7s comes from. I'm sure there will come a time when opponents learn to take the space out wide and he'll be forced to work on his step and lines. As far as we know, he could be well capable of that but just has only opted to take these wide swooping runs because the opponents leave them open? I'm sure he's got the skills to chip kick or pass a ball

matt December 12, 2012 10:29 pm

@Ottawa, If other teams shut down the wide space then that just gives all the more room for the other players to run through gaps (even if he can't do it himself), pace like this makes other players look better and forces a team to spread themselves over the entire width of the field at all times

Full Back December 17, 2012 3:51 pm

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he never played american football, he was a track specialist and didn't even go for the combines. As I said though, I might be wrong

joeythelemur December 17, 2012 6:06 pm

If you really wanted to know, Google is your friend. He was one of the top HS running backs in Ohio.

Not sure about college, but the kid could play.

30yr rugger February 09, 2013 11:49 pm

Fullback: Carlin starred for 2 yrs at a DII school-Ashland University in Ohio; 35 miles from his hometown of Massilon, another football powerhouse town; before he left for the
start of a track & field career

Benny December 12, 2012 5:11 pm

You can't just put on seven sprinters and expect to win. It might work at first but other teams would figure it out quick enough. You'd potentially have poor defence, poor ball retention at the ruck and other teams would eventually learn to close you down. Was interesting to see the NZ #11 was oblivious and gave him too much space but would have learnt not to do it again. In the same way that a sprinter can just run sideways then straighten to get around a slower player, a bigger player could do the same to smash through a sprinter.

Don't worry, skill will prevail. I hope, or us Kiwis have a bleak future

kadova December 13, 2012 12:11 am

And don't forget Clerc a 10'3 and Palisson at 10'5. Not too bad :)

Standing December 12, 2012 11:39 am

Agree with the first comment. And no rugby player starts off with all the skills, they usually have one attribute and then they're developed from that. With this guy having only been playing for 12 weeks, I can imagine they're looking to the future and he has a bright future in front of him.

elvis15 December 12, 2012 6:52 pm

While no rugby players starts off with all the skills, those same players also don't start in the national 7's team weeks after they start playing. You can teach the skills, and there's no substitute for pace (which he has in spades, aces, diamonds and hearts), but I'd generally consider more development for a player before he earns his first cap.

Having said that, if he has enough skill to deserve it (beyond his pace) after those 12 weeks of training, good on him.

HDG10 December 12, 2012 11:43 am

He's quick, but I think he's got more to offer. He can obviously stand players up as seen on this video, especially when beating a man to go under the posts. You HAVE to have natural ability to do that.
Also, he takes one fella on the outside and gives him a great hand off after switching the ball to correct hand.
I'm sure that Nigel Walker, Ngwenya and a few others were just as, if not more, rusty when they started.
I just hope the Yanks don't get hold of this and start bringing some massive NFL players into the mix, there are some seriously impressive specimens there!
Good on him I say, saw him track back and make a tackle too which is rare for a winger!

Hry December 13, 2012 5:00 pm

NFL players would fail the drug tests, their testing regime is an absolute farce.

Ads_Bon December 12, 2012 11:43 am

I predict he will be one of quite a few coming from nowhere on to the global stage in USA as they begin taking rugby more seriously. I genuinely think come the 2016 Olympics the USA will be right up there as more of their naturally gifted athletes leave behind American Football and take up rugby.

nice to see that he hasnt just scored good tries against minnows, blitz bokke and nz got burned by him.

Would like to see him get smashed, just to see how he reacts, would he bounce back or would it dent his confidence?

irerugby December 12, 2012 12:16 pm

he is a sprinter so his only attribute is his speed. I cant see him being a great distributor of the ball. I agree with ncharlton0119, it rugby not racing. Wait until he gets smashed once or twice!!!
On another note he wouldn't survive on a 15s pitch, not nearly as much space to run into!!! sure he doesnt have the build to play 15s

joeythelemur December 12, 2012 10:03 pm

You say that now, he's only been playing rugby for 12 weeks. No one here has any idea if "his only attribute is his speed." Why couldn't he be "a great distributor of the ball." He certainly seems to have the ambition and motivation to learn other core skills. He's played American football, so he's taken a few hits.

He very well may be a quality player long term, but your instant dismissal of Isles is unbecoming. He's an intriguing player that hasn't earned his stripes yet, but just the same, you can't just write him off because he's new to the scene.

irerugby December 12, 2012 10:49 pm

learning these "core skills" only takes you so far mate, they have to be second nature to play at the top level!!!
So what if he played American football, he is still only 75kgs, and would get trampled on by most pros. I would love to see a vid of the whole match, there is a reason there called HIGHLIGHTS. Maybe then we would see his flaws. Is the tackle in this video the only one he made??? would love to see the others.
My instant dismissal, not really considering there are better all round players making an impact in rugby. Sorry to say this but once teams know and study matches of him, he wont be as effective as in these games.
The USA needs 15s rugby players coming through, not players that didn't make it in your pro sports. Only when these athletes learn the game from a young age can you even think about becoming a world power

matt December 12, 2012 10:07 pm

Ngwenya is hardly a tank, Habana was little bigger when he started. It seems to be that if you have the right competitive mindset, as I'm sure a world class competitive sprinter will, as well as the raw physical ability, then you can get the attention and training required to become world class

irerugby December 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Habana just won international try of the year!!!! he is a great player that everyone would love to get there hands on. Pace only gets you so far, I hope he is a quick learner, because the opposition are watching this video and will be looking at ways to shut him down.

Jimothy December 13, 2012 10:40 pm

Please can I have the lottery numbers for this weekend as you can clearly see the future! 'Core skills will only get you so far' yes a WC and the most time spent as the worlds number 1 side! NZ have often (DC in particular) attributed their success to mastering the basics! Mike Catt complained because English clubs don't concern themselves with the basics enough! Until England beat NZ many people said Manu lacked the basic skills and look what happened there!

Did this guy sleep with your mum or something? You really seem to dislike this guy based on very little evidence?

30yr rugger February 10, 2013 12:05 am

He was a nationally ranked American football running back at Ashland University, so, he's accustomed to being hit by players literally twice his size every time he touched the ball. He doesn't have rugby experience, yet!! But the national team coaches will make sure he's fast-tracked and trained at a faster speed than we would get that exposure and training at our local clubs.

The Green Mafia December 12, 2012 12:22 pm

What a bullet! And what a fast learner! 12 weeks and he's off at the World Sevens circuit! Cheeky too, allways trying to get aroung players to get behind the posts. As a portuguese, you really understand how valuable but underrated conversions are in 7s and how many times they can take you to a 1 point win.

This is actually the game breaking quality dormant in the US through time. They are a nation with a huge sporting tradition, where many people activelly try to get into pro sport but many just fade after failling to get into the NFL, NHL, etc. If rugby there starts evolving at grassroots and they start taping into the natural ability of guys from football, track, lacrosse and all those, they have the potential to be world beaters in 10, 15 years time

northwalesguy December 12, 2012 12:28 pm

"start taping into the natural ability of guys from football, track, lacrosse and all those"

not really the way forward if you want to be world beaters!!! Take NZ for example, most there players have a rugby ball in hand from when they can walk. Rugby isnt about whoever is bigger wins, its about skill and understanding of the game.

Johnson December 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Doug Howlett would have been been of a similar pace to this guy. I'm pretty sure Doug could run 100m in 10.5 seconds so only very slightly slower.

joeythelemur December 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Howlett was fast, but don't discount the difference between 10.5 and 10.13. Seems tiny but those are the margins that make a difference on the wing.

Johnson December 12, 2012 8:14 pm

Indeed yes but with a difference of 0.4 of a second over 100 metres you wouldn't see Howlett getting burned like some of the guys in this video.

joeythelemur December 12, 2012 10:05 pm

Fair enough. Too bad Howlett's too old now to see them match up.

A W Thomas Bosel December 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Fantastic pace and every much a part of 7's rugby as any other skill in the game. Great to see the big guns like the Boks and NZ getting left for dust by this guy. Who cares if he's only been playing 12 weeks or so, he can only get better as a player as his experience builds. He brings excitement and thrill to the game the moment he's given the gap he needs. I loved playing this sport in my younger years and pace was my skill so great to watch this guy emulating me haha ;)p.

Max December 12, 2012 1:49 pm

This guy used to play american football at college level (both defensive and ofensive teams) so I suppose he is used to the contact.

Pretzel December 12, 2012 1:52 pm

As RD has stated 7's and 15's are different games, but I do doubt he would be much use at 15's AT THE MOMENT, he appears to exploit the room on the pitch to run around tacklers. If he can introduce a step (maybe he has one already) then it looks like he'll...wow... never mind, I was going to say a bit like a Joe Rokocoko, until I looked up his stats, 6ft2 and 109kg's that guy was a fooking big!!!... anyway...back to Isles, if he gets a step then he'll become much more of a handful. I would echo ncharlton's comment, I would hate to see 7's become a game of running round the corners all the time, I love to see switch moves, dodges and all things that are nasty for to defend, rather than just "give the fast guy the ball"...

No idea how accurate these are but:
Chavhanga 10.27 - 100m, 85kg
Habana 10.4 - 100m, 94kg
Ngwenya 10.5 -100m, 84kg
Rokocoko 10.66 - 100m, 109kg's
Howlett 10.68 - 100m, 93kg's
Lomu 10.8 - 100m, 125kg's

There are obviously a couple others that slot into that list, and as I said, I'm not 100% sure on the data and there is no way to confirm whether those times were recorded at their published weights, but it gives a bit of an indication. I mean Ngwenya the lightest of the bunch is .16 seconds ahead of Rokocoko, but I'd rather have Rokocoko for the added weight.

I'm definitely keen to see more of this guy and see if he ever makes the transition to 15's or whether he'll stay a 7's star.

browner December 12, 2012 4:08 pm

......... and see if he ever makes the transition to 15's or whether he'll stay a 7's star.

Hmmnn, lets see...........
Go for Gold - check
immediate star status - check
avoid being buried at the bottom of pne of Pretzels 'friendly' rucks - check
earn a decent living outta 7's - check
travel the world on the 7's circuit - check
avoid 125kg wing monsters running straight over the top of you - check
Keep my reutation as MR FAST LEGS - Check
IRB to develop the 7's World Cup into a 'multi country jamboree, over 2 weeks.

15's .....Nah.... need more reasons to consider !

joeythelemur December 12, 2012 5:53 pm

I think you're right, he's likely to stay in 7s and become a media star in the US due to the Olympics, no need for him to grind it in 15s. I'm beginning to think that there's real truth to the possibility of the USA getting truly serious about rugby after 2016.

Pretzel December 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Thank you for that interesting insight browner.. what was your point again? If he enjoys contact then he may very well consider 15's, both games have their perks...

I find it hard to understand whether you're a bit wimpy or whether you just dislike the concept of contact....

browner December 12, 2012 10:14 pm

I expected you to find it hard......Pratzel me old mucker,

the thrust of my reply was to dispel the belief that all 7's players have to evolve into 15's players - dated thinking !.... [a year round 7's circuit awaits].... just as dated as your championing slashing someones back with your studs, cos he's on the floor below you/deserved it ....

Modern sport, needs modern thinkers, the stamp & brutal brigade need to get in a cage and mash each other , rugby's moved on .....fast/conditioned/ skillful/powerful/ athletic

get on board, or sit with the other cobwebs in the corner reminising amongst misshaped finger joints ....

keep em coming matey lad
xx

Pretzel December 13, 2012 1:14 am

Wow way to conjure up further bullshit browner...

"dispel the belief that all 7's players have to evolve into 15's players"

Which part of my initial comment stated anything of the sort?

I don't deny that rugby has; in some parts, changed for the better. However the ruck part of the game has CLEARLY gotten worse.... Introduce a set of studs to someone PURPOSELY lying in the way, or to a hand purposely playing with the ball and surprise surprise they tend to stop...

When did rugby become "fast/conditioned/skillful/powerful/athletic"? I believe that came a little bit earlier than the "don't put boots on someone lying in the way" law...

paimoe December 12, 2012 6:28 pm

"I mean Ngwenya the lightest of the bunch is .16 seconds ahead of Rokocoko, but I'd rather have Rokocoko for the added weight."

I always feel these tiny gaps between the fastest people are, in the end, unimportant. Sure Ngwenya is quick, but I'd rather 24-second-100m Cory Jane on the right wing.

David H December 12, 2012 8:33 pm

100m pace is an indicator, but acceleration is far more important - I'd take Colin Jackson over Bolt and if you could stop Lomu getting up to pace or turn him, he was no great threat. The speed at which William Ryder or Robinson could change direction and hit top pace made them a huge threat, even if their top speed might not be as great. Having said that looks like this guy has great acceleration also.

Pretzel December 12, 2012 7:52 pm

I agree, thats what I meant, you look at someone who is quick and dodgy like Rokocoko, Cau Cau, and also BIG, and you're really onto a winner, you could argue that A. Tuilagi (the one that plays for Leicester) is a lot slower than these guys (I assume)...so what, he might be "easier" to grab hold of, but then he'll just drag you down the length of the pitch instead... someone like Isles "might" crumble under the extra weight.

matt December 12, 2012 10:23 pm

I fully agree with David, acceleration is the killer, quite right with Ryder and Robinson, Shane Williams too, if you can get up and go in a clever way you are deadly to any team.
Pretzel's post shows us that this sort of pace is really nothing too new, although, lets just remember that every single one of those players have had stunning careers built on their raw abilities.

Guy December 12, 2012 3:05 pm

That guy is lightning quick, no doubt about it. But he definitely doesn't seem to be the most modest guy on the field, if I have to go by the intro of the video that RD wrote. And he loves the physical stuff? Still I suspect that sooner or later he will get absolutely clobbered by some Samoan or Fijian dude.

By the way: Dutch ladies sevens have been fast-tracking players from other sports into sevens for some time. It does seem to work. So maybe Sevens can be considered a bit of an individual sport whereas 15's is more a team effort.

browner December 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Watch out 7's World ...The Yanks are serious .....

2016 Olympics means Gold Medals up for grabs, and USA are seasoned gold medal chasers for sure.

I predict a 'raid' on the "almost made it" players from both NFL & Track & field....plus a huge improvement in the take up rate at US Colleges

Dan Lyle, was the catalyst, college participation is the key to US rugby ambitions, & when they get it right watch out everyone

cheyanqui December 12, 2012 4:09 pm

The worse your kicker, the more important it is to get under the posts.

Teams like the USA have struggled for years with getting kickers to handle conversions which kickers from other countries can handle.

Everyone knows the touchline conversion is tough. But the differentiating factor to me are those that come from between the 5m and 15m lines. For the USA, those kicks are low percentage, but the better countries seem to have a much better success rate.

Back to Isles -- his skill set will be valuable no matter what, but especially valuable in the near term (until the USA gets better kickers).

-- especially if the 7s events are held in deep try zones!

Stripe December 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Nearly as fast as me. :D

Silky December 12, 2012 6:59 pm

as long as there are players creating gaps and giving good ball to players like him they will do very well. good luck to the lad, hope all this hype about him hasn't painted a massive bullseye on his chest

Gonzoman December 12, 2012 7:43 pm

To all the nay-sayers: Isles is an excellent option to have on the paddock for a sevens team. Speed kills.

His size isn't really an issue; there are 6 bigger guys on the field for the US...use him as a sweeper at the back on defence, and the gas-man on the wing on attack.

To those of you that are lamenting the death of skill in sevens: it takes skill to fix guys enough to get the ball out there; also, the game will evolve new defensive systems to deal with this kind of threat.

To those of you worried about how quickly he got into the team: he fits. The team made a selection, and he's scoring tries (and from this clip, it looks like he stopped on too). A national team should be about having the best players on the pitch, not "earning your stripes" through some convoluted seniority/experience matrix...if he is the best wide man in sevens, get him on the pitch.

To the rest of the world: watch out for the USA in a few year's time...if this is what they can come up with in 12 weeks, you'd better believe there is more coming. Gotta hand it to the States, when they want to win, they don't muck about.

The sport is gaining profile, and as such more and more naturally gifted athletes will take it up. Like any other sport, as it increases in profile globally, you're going to get more and more naturally gifted athletes learning the game. How scary would it be facing a team of Usain Bolts who had learned the game? The giant, fast, fit guys are coming, and they will learn skills.

I'm stoked for Rio! We might see some mind-boggling and exciting athletes take the field. I only hope that my country (Canada) is able to keep pace with the growth of the game (so far, so good).

stroudos December 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Cracking post mate.

Jimothy December 12, 2012 8:18 pm

12 weeks playing and he's already better than everyone commenting here! Must be some red faces typing away on those keyboards folks!!! Tackling = taught skill, passing = taught skill, kicking = taught skill, running really really fast = natural (alright you can build speed up but those with the real gas just have it). It is amazing how someone comes along with natural talent and people on here instantly pretend they know what they are talking about! In the clip he swaps the ball from his inside to the outside and fends brilliantly. There are players I've seen in the premiership etc who still fail to do this. Rather than pretending you can see into the future let's give the bloke a chance!

Roscoe December 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Anyone who thinks he would not stand a chance in 15s because of his build, I have one name for you: Gio Aplon.

SpencaH December 13, 2012 1:14 pm

~70kgs : hits like a man posessed and runs lines that could cut through butter!

Yet a bias Bulls coach wont play him for SA because the nugget that is Sideshow bob somehow holds the 15 jersey instead....madness!

ncharlton0119 December 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Best post on RD to date. I'm still laughing about that nugget. :D

9to15 December 13, 2012 2:31 pm

Gio Aplon what a let down, u can not say he does ok at the top level at all. how many videos online of him getting smashed and knocked out. the guy has the biggest heart but without the bulk ur limited. not useless but limted.

SpencaH December 13, 2012 6:16 pm

"u can not say he does ok at the top level at all" - -Have you actually watched any of the Southern Hemisphere rugby at all or any of the SA internationals OR any of the Lions tests in the last 5 years? His stats would suggest otherwise...

As to the rest of you're ill informed comment:

Smashed? I can think of one, from Ashton. A high ball that he not only kept his eyes on taking the catch but he took the hit he knew was coming AND didnt knock it on and the ball was retained. And he was up and fine after.

Knocked out? Once! And are you seriously saying that his size made him vulnerable?? It was an elbow to the jaw from a team mate! Don't care if you're Henry Tuilagi, you're going down!

I think I speak for all when I say that you sir are Limited and useless!

katman December 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Aplon a let down? I'm sorry, but you appear unable to tell your rugby arse from your backline elbow. He's been sensational for the Stormers for many seasons now, and would be for the Boks too if given a chance. So you saw one video clip where he got clobbered dizzy and now you are an expert on the player? Doesn't work like that.

Jimothy December 13, 2012 10:48 pm

You're right SA and the Bulls only ever pick $h1t players!!!!!! You definitely have an Id 10 t complex!!!!

Jimothy December 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Who looks like an I'd 10 t now. He plays for the Stomers duh. Sorry, they do pick crap players. :-)

Fast guy December 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Irerugby!
Hard to believe all the folks that say he could never play 15s because of his size. Tell Shane Williams the same thing boys.

Roscoe December 12, 2012 10:02 pm

Yes, Shane is an even better example, Fast Guy. Hard to argue with that the IRB Player of the Year in 2008, who is an inch shorter than Isles, was too small for 15s.

Gas Man December 12, 2012 10:21 pm

A few honorable mentions of former Olympic sprinting rugby players for the rugby geeks;

Olympic 110m hurdlers, Nigel Walker (Wales), Brian Taylor (England 7s) and Jo Naivalu (USA)
Olympic 400m finalist Ben Brazell (USA 7s)
Olympic Gold Medal Winner and the original Chariot of Fire, Eric Liddell (Scotland)

brawnybalboa December 12, 2012 11:13 pm

Recently we saw a failed attempt for a more accomplished sprinter to try a different sport: Dwayne Chambers after his ban from the IAAF tried his hand as a WR for the Hamburg Sea Devils and as a Winger for Castleford Tigers in Rugby League. Chambers could not get onto the gridiron for the Sea Devils due to his poor hand eye co-ordination, and against Castleford Tigers totally lacked the cardio fitness to get up to his sub-10 second personal best.

The difference here is the fact that Carlin Isle is not only a gifted athlete, but is also a talented sportsman, as seen here by his natural elusiveness and footwork on the field, not to mention a decent little fend. Although Isle played football in college, he played for Ashland University, which is a NCAA division II team (bearing in mind there are 271 teams in division I conferences does not make them a good programme), he would not necessarily have been much more than a decent player (nowhere near NFL standard).

In regards to football players (NFL or from a good football programme like USC), the ability to excel at 7's would vary player to player. A perfect example would be Darrius Heyward Bey (Raiders WR) ran the 100 in 10.4 seconds, yet can hardly excel as a WR running basic routes, whereas DeSean Jackson (WR for the Philadelphia Eagles) ran a 10.40 and could beat any man in a one on one.

Despite all the talent though, I severely doubt they would make much more than explosive wingers due to the lack of handling skills.

joeythelemur December 17, 2012 6:23 pm

See, I think most of what you say is true, but when you say "lack of handling skills", that makes no sense to me. How do you know he doesn't have those skills or cannot refine/develop them? Everyone wants to be a pundit and predict from one highlight clip whether Isles is the real deal for 7s or 15s, but why?

He's an exciting player, one who people are most likely to watch closely because his speed suggests something could happen each time he touches the ball. I hope he takes this solid start to his rugby career and not only develops himself, but also inspires some other young people to take up rugby.

gg December 13, 2012 2:14 am

mateeeeeeee calm it down. don't think at any point anyone said "woi this guys shit, i can do better than that" this guy is obviously good. But at the end of the day he scored a few trys. he's new, teams havent figured how to deal with him yet, but give it a few months, teams are gonna know to shut him down and he ain't gonna be so effective. you also forget that other countries apart from the usa sprint, and any day a guy can come along and say i can run the 100m in 10.4, then what? he's just your average winger.

beau90 December 13, 2012 2:20 am

He's so much better than your average sprinter thrust into the sevens scene. But I'm afraid after catching people off guard in the previous tournaments, he was easily chaperoned in SA.

Great to see such speed, great for the sport in terms of entertainment value. But worry not about the sport of sevens changing, teams like NZ will stick with their Kurt bakers and Tim Mikelsons, they are the types of players who will gift you a gold in RIO, I fear USA are clutching at straws :(

Frenchie December 13, 2012 2:35 am

@ Roscoe ...Or Shane Williams

rugbyaddict87 December 13, 2012 5:29 am

Until he actually makes a name for himself in the history books like Chavhanga, Habana
Ngwenya, Rokocoko, Howlett, and Lomu..... he is not worth mentioning.

SpencaH December 13, 2012 1:11 pm

If we took that approach with every new kid on the block, no one would ever get mentioned and talent would depart unnoticed like chaff in the wind rather like Rupeni your post would suggest.

And as for everyone saying, they will learn, they will shut him down, try shutting down a cheetah on redbull. I predict a riot!

But yes, still early days for him so lets continue to watch this space*

9to15 December 13, 2012 2:20 pm

pace is great until.... you get smashed and lets face it he will eventually get smashed. when you have a stand out skill on a rugby pitch you become a target, i dont care what anyone else says its the truth. he should stay at 7`s its where guys like that belong so more power to him for his pace but then again, what else can you say about him? nothing. pace thats it.

Full Back December 17, 2012 4:12 pm

"Nothing, pace that's it"...what does that say about you at this stage? Been on any RD videos lately?

In any case I don't agree at all, the guys got; good work ethic, timing, intelligent running lines, decent fend, safe hands and a good step....AND he has blistering pace.

In fact he's on the 7's circuit scoring tries against South Africa and New Zealand among others after a couple of months in the game.

Let's give credit where it's due shall we?

BeauKnows December 13, 2012 7:23 pm

He's quick! But he'll become irrelevant just and fast* as her became relevant (Hehe see what i did there... i know im a sneaky bastard)

No hate, just calling it like it is.

Jimothy December 13, 2012 10:53 pm

You missed 'Nothing' off the end of your user name!

No hate, just calling it like it is.

BeauKnows December 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Beau knows lots of things, nothing is not among them

Dontcomemonday December 14, 2012 2:02 am

The kid can hardly put the ball down properly. But that is some serious gas, especially against the NZ no.11

Wayno December 14, 2012 8:20 am

Those times are just internet chinese whispers, if anything they'll mostly likely hand timed which means you should add at least .25 secs to those if you want to accurately compare to an electronically timed 100m.

The reality is that that the fastest wings in the game are probably running the 100m just under 11secs. There's a youtube video of Habana actually saying he has run the 100m in 11 secs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_iAQXyDJns). Also the gatorade aussie fastest footballer competition has Lachie Turner winning in 11 flat.

Most amatuer 100m sprinters who run 10.5 would destroy these rugby players so to put it in perspective Carlin Isle's 10.13 is on a different planet - he's 10% faster than everyone else and thats massive. We'll see how he pans out over the next few seasons but he is bar far the fastest thing that has ever set foot on a rugby pitch

browner December 15, 2012 2:31 am

Didn't Dwain Chambers play for Castleford .... doesn't he have a faster 100m time?

thunor December 16, 2012 12:04 am

They gave him a short trial stint, but didn't really give him a chance for financial reasons seemingly. However, yes, his fastest 100m time, after having some wiped for drugs offences, is 9.97s; in more recent years he's run consistently ~10s. So, significantly faster than this chap, but in RL rather than RU.

joeythelemur December 17, 2012 6:30 pm

Didn't know internet chinese whispers were hand-timed. Especially when run at a huge, almost certainly electronically-timed Texas Relays.

Not sure your point though, since the rest of your post suggests you think he's for real.

wayno December 17, 2012 8:33 pm

i was referring to the 100m times that the were posted for Habana, Zee, Clerc, chavanga

jon December 14, 2012 4:03 pm

The answer to the question is he the fastest rugby player, is yes.

But It takes alot more than speed to suceed, especially in 15s.

wizzile December 15, 2012 6:05 pm

this just shows how patheic american rugby is. we have to get some guy who has no clue how to play. theyre are plenty of rugby players who actually know how to play and wont take 12 years to develop them. he can be the fastest but he got caught against wales and because of his lack of rugby knowledge lost the ball in contact. sad for american rugby all around

Stubby December 17, 2012 8:57 pm

because no REAL rugby player has ever lost the ball in contact. Or conversely anyone who loses the ball in contact cannot be a REAL rugby player.

Kyle December 21, 2012 8:18 am

the truth is that the other countries are afraid of what the eagles will bring to the table in coming years because the player pool in the us is enormous, thats why there are so many haters. carlin isles is just the tip of iceberg when it comes to talent in the usa. only knew the game for 12 weeks and hes making a name for himself. USA rugby is getting more funding and recognition which means ALOT more talent is taking on rugby in a realistic 10 years the eagles will be a power house for rugby

ishi123 December 21, 2012 12:32 pm

This is guy is rapid, no doubting that but I can see his career ending with ONE.BIG.HIT. It will happen at some stage. How will he recover is the question?

Nin January 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Wayne is absolutely correct.thetimes quoted for most rugby players are nonsense (apart from Iles). Nigel WAlker (welsh international and former 110 m hurdler) had a wind assisted PB of 10.38 s. he was noticably quicker than his opponents. This Iles guy would be at least 10 metres ahead of most international wingers over 100 metres - in rugby terms that's a lot!

browner January 22, 2013 10:58 am

Agree with Nin, it'll be his "transition speed"that gives him the advantage . He'll learn-all top rugby players go through periods of learning & development .......... Shane Williams was a scrum half ,

ishi123 - do you think he's never had a big hit in American Football, my money is wagered he'll be fine.

I guess time will tell .....we're all watching

YehWhat February 18, 2013 11:51 pm

There are loads that can run under 11, i myself ran 11.13 pb and finished 4th..

Pierre Spies 10.7s

Bjon Basson (high School) 10.6s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCozhs5QRQo

Tonderai Chavhanga 10.2s, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CACwD9-OynY

Quick.. but they can do more than sprinting

alan February 21, 2013 1:15 pm

people please this guy is fast, there are great nutritionists and gym instructors in rugby to get this guy in physical condition for the 15s game, rugby coaches are not stupid to put him on a 15s field while he is not in the ryt physical condition once he is physically ready he will take the hits u think those big rugby guys have always been huge,

with good guidance from world class rugby coaches these guy can kill it on the rugby scene he,s got it just needs to build his game thats all, most wingers for your info were speedstars turned wingers he has got it i tell u

Nin March 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Yehwhat has confirmed my point. The link for Chavhanga confirms he CAN'T run 10.2 s for the 100m. As Wayno said how many of these times are from hand held stop watches? I'm some international wingers can run under 11secs - but not by much. And in fairness, why should they? They aren't training just for speed but for endurance as well. When the sprinter Nigel Walker went to rugby he had to completely change his training programme - Which meant he wasn't running 10.38 But 10.95. He still looked quicker than most international opponents!