Catch up with Sam Warburton

Closing montage from Heineken Cup final

Huge hit by Tonga in Pacific Nations Cup

Toulon do the double with Top 14 win

Jebb Sinclair red card for leading elbow

Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

Bloody Florian Fritz returns to play

Courtney Lawes crunches Charlie Hodgson

The Top 5 'Big Boppers' in World Rugby

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Alex Waller yellow carded for punch vs Glasgow Warriors

Here's a look at the punch from Northampton Saints replacement prop Alex Waller. With scores tied at 20-20 and time almost up, Saints were on the attack looking for a bonus point fourth try.

The yellow card and penalty gave Glasgow Warriors possesion, which led to them clearing up field and ultimately scoring the winning try with time up.

You can view the Peter Horne winning try here.

Glasgow's Peter Horne scores incredible winning try

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

stroudos January 20, 2013 6:07 pm

What a complete twat. Totally unnecessary cheapshot. And right in front of the touch judge too.

I wonder how much financially is the difference between this result and had Northampton scored from that position instead...

DrG January 25, 2013 3:40 am

I'd imagine if you JUST count the revenue from tickets for quarter finals and then potentially semi-finals, finals, and victory... I'd say a lot... Of course there is no guarantee's of progression beyond, but there IS the guarantee of the opportunity had they won...

DANSTAN January 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Completely idiotic thing to do. Good field position, going forward, about to win the game and head to the quarter finals. Cost himself, his team mates and his club a quarter final berth. No idea what he's thinking. Any ban he gets now will be deserved. Right in front of the touch judge too.

Tc January 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Didn't see the game and the punch is stupid, but there's probably 5 penalties the referee could have given against Glasgow in the defence of the maul, various attempts to collapse, no offside line and players entering from pretty much where they like

An idiot for throwing the punch, but I can understand the frustration

DanKnapp January 20, 2013 8:39 pm

I hope the club fine his arse...

Reality January 20, 2013 9:34 pm

God, those Northampton players all seem to be gentlemen. If I was Mallinder, I'd immediately disqualify this guy for a certain amount of games, even after his ban, to teach him not to be such a thick sh*te in future.

And I have to say that in response to the comment about the illegal Glasgow mauling, at 11 seconds in there was a definite truck and trailer.

Tc January 20, 2013 10:27 pm

Disagree, the first Glasgow player who tried to pull down the maul is lying at the bottom of the pile and therefore in contact with the maul. Since you only need one defender to make a maul there's no truck and trailer. You could argue that he's off his feet, but you have to give the attacking maul the benefit since the defending team had engaged and then broken away

mac76 January 21, 2013 12:02 am

Actually, there was no guarantee that a win would be achieved, since the Glasgow defence was holding firm continually!

Waller was a plonked and got what he deserved, end of!

ChillDoubt January 21, 2013 6:04 am

Complete idiot. No sympathy. If I was coach I'd fine him the maximum amount possible. How much has he cost the club there?
As I tell my son at the start of every game, indiscipline will cost you the match every single time.

It certainly did in this case, from a potentially winning psition.