Hairy f*cking Martin Castrogiovanni rant

WIN Rugby Union Team Manager 2015!

Barbarians run riot vs Leicester Tigers

Willem Alberts dancing alone in the gym

Player of 2014 Nominee, Willie Le Roux

Steffon Armitage wants more England caps

De Villiers injury might mean no RWC2015

5 Nominations for IRPA Try of the Year

Francois Hougaard's IRPA Try of the Year

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Ian Keatley clearance kick hits Wayne Barnes square in the face

Referee Wayne Barnes was in the thick of the action at Thomond Park at the weekend. The English referee sent off a Racing Metro player early in the game, then just five minutes later took the full force of an Ian Keatley clearance kick, in the face.

As reported yesterday, Barnes showed Racing Metro flanker Antoine Battut a red card just five minutes in for a knee to the head of one of the Munster players as they lay at the bottom of a ruck.

Battut has since been cited, and will appear before a disciplinary hearing in Dublin on 24 January.

After a fairly controversial start to the game, a few minutes later it was all smiles as Barnes found himself a little too close the action, and as a result, nearly swallowed his whistle.

Ian Keatley's clearance kick smashed him square in the face, knocking the referee to the floor and rebounding about 20m downfield as Barnes sat in disbelief on the floor.

He took some time to recover after being attended to by medical staff, and when asked if he could remember everything, he was heard saying "There's a few things I'd like to forget."

When later asked if he was okay, he quipped "We'll find out when I start running!"

This type of clip would usually be saved for our Friday Funnies, but it's too good to not share. Enjoy.

There was a very similar incident a few years ago in club rugby in Australia, where the referee was knocked out cold at point blank range by a clearing kick. View that here

Posted at 9:40 am | 25 comments

Antoine Battut cited after straight red card for knee

Romain Poite and other refs take some big knocks

Referee sandwiched between a prop and a hard place

Jimmy Cowan reverse falcons captain Jamie Mackintosh

Friday Funnies - The Kurtley Beale falcon

Friday Funnies - Referee knocked out by clearing kick

League ref takes a tumble, twice.

Wayne Barnes laying down the law to Corry & Borthwick

Friday Funnies - The Cory Jane charge down with the face

Posted in See it to Believe it

Citing Commissioner January 22, 2013 11:01 am

I think pretty much every player in the whole game will be smiling after seeing that. Who would not like seeing this pretentious man getting walloped?

Riggler January 22, 2013 11:06 am

Penalty Try surely!!

fan January 22, 2013 11:14 am

How do you restart a game after such an incident?

NickB January 22, 2013 11:44 am

The game is stopped and a scrum restart awarded to the team that was in possession before the ref got his fat head in the way

Nick January 22, 2013 1:40 pm

BOOM right in the kisser! at least we get to see barnes' sense of humor! he seems to be able to take the mickey out of himself!

sam00skelo January 22, 2013 1:53 pm

If only Keatley had kicked it just a bit harder... If only if only..

Guy January 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Some pretty pathetic comments allready; good to see that there is still so much respect for our referees.

matt the mauler January 22, 2013 3:07 pm

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. couldn't have deserved it more. Surprised he didn't yellow card the player for it. My most hated ref!

s_conner January 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Barnes took it well, probably a bit tougher than he looks.

TechnoMouse January 22, 2013 4:17 pm

Amusing clip. Don't get the hate on Barnes though, I'm a fan of him as a ref, generally makes good calls and always backs himself with his decision and is clear with the players. There are other refs I'd prefer this to happen to, I guess is what I'm saying!

TechnoMouse January 22, 2013 4:17 pm

Ottawa Rugger January 22, 2013 4:44 pm

Hilarious, great to see he's okay about it. His eyes are watering, he must have taken it straight on the nose. That's the worst.

007 January 22, 2013 10:02 pm

All these ref pathetic comments !

I am not surprised , probably from people who have never been a ref.
Easier to criticize sitting in front of a screen than referring a game.

I like him . Clear , honest etc.

jimter10 January 23, 2013 2:38 am

the kiwis were loving this yesterday, they were still talking about the 2007 world cup. seeing as forward passes are one of the cornerstones of their game, i can't believe how one sided they see it.

so he made one (big) mistake, i think he's one of the best out there.

by the way, anyone know if the french bitch as much about joubert as the kiwis do about barnes?

stroudos January 23, 2013 12:50 pm

But it wasn't a forward pass!

*Throws grenade, takes cover*

Benny January 24, 2013 9:35 pm

Since 2011 I think we've gotten over it but it's still a reflex to smile when we this video.

And yes, the French are just as upset about Joubert (go youtube and check some of the comments about the final), although maybe not as much as the saffers about Bryce

Stubby January 23, 2013 9:07 am

having had a soccer ball do the same thing to me in high school, i truly sympathize.
and I had braces!

stroudos January 23, 2013 1:01 pm

I actually like Wayne Barnes, I think he's one of the best refs out there and the majority of people who complain about him are still squeezing out the last drops of their sour grapes. However, pissed myself laughing at him being taken out here - can't believe it hit with him with enough force to knock him over!

Have to say though, that is an absolutely terrible kick!! (Unless he was aiming for him of course).

Reality January 23, 2013 9:19 pm

My reaction was, "That is an absolutely brilliant kick! (Unless he wasn't aiming for him of course)".

Trevor January 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Kiwis love Barnes, we even built a statue of him, its in a Queenstown bar, it stands in a urinal, you can piss all over it

David February 01, 2013 11:22 pm

Only an ex-Connacht man could do that :P

Seagrove March 15, 2013 11:33 pm

This would have been amazing with ref cam!

Corrie October 24, 2014 11:29 am

It is OK he is English he deserves it.