Biggest Hits in World Rugby in August

Mike Brown's great try saving tackle

Joe Marler and his unsual pets

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Southland sensational try after big bump

Cheslin Kolbe dazzling run, no look pass

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Ludovic Mercier crazy reverse pass

Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Midweek Madness - Toby Flood charges straight into the post

This is a very quick clip from two weeks ago that some of you with a twisted sense of humour asked to see again. It features Leicester Tigers flyhalf Toby Flood doing himself a bit a damage by charging straight into the upright during the Heineken Cup 5th round game against the Ospreys.

Flood felt it, as you can see by the awkward manner that he fell backwards and writhed in pain, but thankfully he was okay, and got the sponsors a bit more TV time. Cue the Heineken jokes.

Have you ever done this yourself, or seen someone take a bad knock like this? Let us know below!

Time: 0:24
Credit: LasGarzas11
Meta photo credit: Onsideimages.com

Toby Flood faces ban for alleged dangerous tackle

Incredible winning try scored off multiple post rebounds

Toby Flood steers England to victory over Wales

A chat with Toby Flood as England launch their new kit

Posted in See it to Believe it

Andy January 23, 2013 11:56 pm

Think it was more of a nudge into the posts by another player rather than a full on charge straight at the post...

matt January 24, 2013 12:19 am

'Doing himself' damage is a bit of a reach, this clip doesn't show it but the Osprey's 12 checks Flood away from the ball and into the post.

cheyanqui January 24, 2013 1:16 am

To me, Ospreys 12 looks to be pushing someone else, but not Flood.

Ben January 24, 2013 12:40 am

This is my mate back at U14 or so.

k2reaver January 24, 2013 12:50 am

We were having a knock about after training, just smother tackles so no need for post protection... one guy managed to chase a chip over eyes on the ball like a pro and then wrapped himself around the post I'm talking about 3 foot off the floor toes to forehead. He couldn't speak for a good hour... niether could we hahaha!!!

browner January 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Ahem, I think you've proved "the need" ....

cheyanqui January 24, 2013 1:12 am

Clear obstruction -- cynical play really by the Dutchman

Pars January 24, 2013 1:21 am

Was training in the snow few years ago and team mate ran around me (not good I know) and I've turned to chase and didn't see the post ran face first body followed and chipped my front tooth off... Fake tooth at the age of 17 not good.

Thankfully people in the bar were sympathetic and said if I breathed in really quick and hard it would help the pain....get worse!!

IanBru January 24, 2013 2:03 am

I suspect that Flood is required to put a helmet on when he leaves the pitch...

Guy January 24, 2013 11:24 am

I guess Heineken gave him a headache.

stroudos January 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Saw this on TV live and pissed myself laughing - I think it's the slow-motion style as he just sort of sticks to the post and slides down it Tom&Jerry-style, just looked hilarious.

Pretty sure in the few seconds after this clip, Stuart Barnes (commentator) went on to declare that it running straight into the post was somehow "a magnificent sign of commitment".

katman January 24, 2013 3:44 pm

The post made no attempt to wrap his arms. Surprised the ref let it slide.

browner January 24, 2013 6:50 pm

I'm left wondering whether 'Post Pad' production technology has kept abreast with modern safety requirements. design, impact absorbing, density, recoil properties etc .......

I know the piss-takers amongst us will send in their witicisms, LOL , but nevertheless ......

deank January 24, 2013 6:53 pm

billingham 2nds v morpeth 2nds. 24th nov this year morpeth captain Marcus Ridley snapped his upper arm in 3 places

brawnybalboa January 25, 2013 2:09 am

I believe I am correct in saying that Neil Jenkins did this against Ireland in one of his first internationals. Although I believe in his case he was retreating to catch a bouncing ball.

DrG January 25, 2013 3:27 am

Red card, and a 4 month ban to that post for a blatant cheap shot! (Did you see any attempt to use the arms when it checked Flood off the ball???)

DrG January 25, 2013 7:38 pm

I was actually unaware of certain laws when I'd moved into senior rugby, mostly because I'd never been in a similar situation before. I was giving chase to someone who was clear through our lines and as he got close to our try line I caught up enough to give him a hard shove in the back (simply a push) in an attempt to get him to bounce off the posts, and...well...I'm not too sure, drop the ball maybe? I had no way of tackling him (as he would of fallen over the line and scored) so I viewed that as my only option. He bounced off the posts and scored anyway, and I was immediately apprehended by some opposition players who informed me I was not allowed to do that. Perhaps I looked scared enough or young enough for them to realise that it was a genuine misinterpretation of the rules, and they let me go..