Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Female Streaker has no regrets

Ben Flower red card for vicious punches

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Prop lays into fullback with big shot

The Top 5 Schoolboy Prodigies

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Streaker starts mass brawl after tackle

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Alfie To'oala superman tackle and Ed Williamson flying clearout

Last week we shared a clip of a huge Mike Tindall clearout in the Premiership. About a month back something similar happened in France, so here is a look at that, as well as another questionable incident from the same game.

The match in question was Stade Francais vs London Welsh in Round 6 of the Amlin Challenge Cup, a game that was won 39-17 by the hosts after six tries were scored. Two yellow cards to London Welsh helped matters, and there could well have been a third.

The first was for a breakdown infringement as Stade Francais attacked the tryline, but the second came about from what could be described as a high, late and flying tackle by big Alfie To’oala.

Paul Warwick was the unfortunate flyhalf on the receiving end of it, and To’oala was shown yellow.

Later in the game the level of crazy stepped up a bit as To'oala's replacement, Ed Williamson, flew over the top of a ruck to clear out an opposition player. He was lucky to only be penalised.

While you may judge the man based on this quick bit of foul play, he actually spoke recently about a softer side, and his passion for art and painting. "It's good for me because I'm quite an aggressive player and it calms me down a little bit. It's a good release," he said.

"I like big scenes, big landscapes, expressive colours. If you spoke to my mum she'd tell you that I've always been fascinated with sunsets - the way the light can hit clouds and create such magnificent colours.

"On the side, I really enjoy doing detailed pencil sketches," the burly loose forward added.

To view some of Ed's artwork, check out the Ed Williamson Artwork Facebook page

Mike Tindall clears out Tom May after Jimmy Cowan injury

Chris Hala'ufia suspended for 5 weeks after straight red card

Sione Kalamafoni penalised for hurdling a tackler

All Black Tony Woodcock's charge on Wallaby Saia Faingaa

Bakkies Botha suspended for 4 weeks for dangerous clearout

James Haskell late hit on Jordan Crane

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

Number11 February 19, 2013 7:27 pm

what's the ruling against the second offence, should he not be air-born or is it that he didn't use his arms?

Atilla February 19, 2013 7:42 pm

He did use his arms, but his feet are of the ground. ;-)

Chris February 20, 2013 7:19 am

He also came in from the side. Even if he had stayed on his feet that was a penalty.

UsedToWorkChicago February 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Ref said 'charge in with the shoulder' to the AR, so I'd guess he was penalising for:

"10.4 Dangerous play and misconduct: (h) A player must not charge into a ruck or maul. Charging includes any contact made without use of the arms, or without grasping a player."

Reality February 19, 2013 8:00 pm

Ahah, that second one was amazing. It was like something you'd see in an action movie. Thank God it wasn't the first guy that did it though, because he would have destroyed the French player doing that.

themull February 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Deserved a yellow for first hit, late with no attempt to wrap or use the arms...However there's no need for a citing or a ban imo..

Regarding the second incident I'm pretty sure there's a rule which means that as a ball carrier you're not allowed to jump into an oncoming tackler..but I dunno about jumping into rucks etc..

then again he made no use to bind and he made no attempt to stay on his feet so the penalty and probably more might have been deserved...

I really don't know the specifics of the rule book so correct me if I'm wrong...

DrG February 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Not sure about the ruling on the second offence. It looks like something that would be illegal, but the guy did use his arms..

browner February 20, 2013 2:41 am

I'd YC the second player, if not for the 10.4 [h] offence, but for patting the referee twice. Stop this now ! !

DrG February 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Might cause the referee a horrendous injury eh browner ;)

Cheis February 20, 2013 12:19 pm

handled well by the ref

egg_chasing_4ever February 21, 2013 10:35 pm

some time after the Bakkies Botha clearout on Adam Jones in the 2009 Lions tour I think the ruck entry rules got changed slightly to stop this sort of "flying into rucks" dangerously. For me, this was way more dangerous than the Botha incident though...

Atomicclock March 02, 2013 2:00 am

Can see what you mean but don't quite agree - I'd much rather someone flew into me like that over the top of the ruck than smash me with my head down etc., especially since it's just likely to knock me on my back.

I did think Bakkies was poorly treated there though - nothing wrong with what he did just how much power he can put into it, but I worry how big an injury you could get from that!

Flying Dutchman February 23, 2013 2:58 pm

That second hit is definitely illegal. What happened to supporting your own weight? Coming straight trough the tunnel? Diving over the top? There's more than one thing wrong with this hit. If the first hit was worth a yellow, the second one at least deserved the same treatment.