WIN Rugby Union Team Manager 2015!

Willem Alberts dancing alone in the gym

5 Nominations for IRPA Try of the Year

Teddy Thomas incredible solo effort

Player of 2014 Nominee, Willie Le Roux

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Steffon Armitage wants more England caps

Vote for the Sky NZ Fans Try of the Year

Barbarians run riot vs Leicester Tigers

Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Darren Cave picks up concussion after two big tackles vs Treviso

Ulster slipped to second place on the RaboDirect PRO12 table as Treviso pulled back a 14-point deficit and scored a late equalising try. Earlier in the game centre Darren Cave had to leave the field after making two big tackles in succession.

Kiwi Dean Budd scored a hat-trick and last minute as the sides drew 29-29 at Ravenhill on Friday. Treviso could have snatched the win if it weren't for a missed conversion by Alberto Di Bernardo.

Earlier in the game the home side lost Darren Cave to injury after he made a big crash tackle on opposite number Luca Morisi. Cave played on despite the knock, but Morisi had to be replaced.

About a minute later the Ireland capped centre, a possible successor to Brian O'Driscoll, made a second big tackle as Treviso broke out on attack.

Cave played on for another ten minutes but then had to leave the field. It has since been confirmed that he was ineligible for Ireland selection this coming weekend because of concussion.

The two tackles aren't the biggest we've ever seen, but Cave's doggedness and the fact that he stayed on makes them worth a look, especially after the amount of requests we received.

Irish fans: Do you think Cave will be a long term option for Ireland?

Darren Cave big hit on Jim Thompson in Heineken Cup semi

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

themull March 06, 2013 8:17 pm

While i agree that second tackle is completely legal and fine, I've seen far less get carded and cited etc..just goes to show the inconsistencies which are plaguing the game at the moment..

Not really sure about cave being BOD's successor..The centre partnership in a few years time will probable be Marshall and Earls or Marshall and McFadden..Although if Cave does keep putting in good performances then he will likely get his shot at the Irish set up(if Kidney is gone or gets a new attitude towards bringing guys into the squad)...The more competition we have the better...

EggsAndBacon March 06, 2013 8:28 pm

I definitely think Cave is a player for the future. He is a very solid defender at 13 and works really well with Luke Marshall and PJ. In my mind McFadden is a better 12 than 13, but Marshall will have that jersey for a while I think. I reckon Marshall/McFadden at 12 and Cave at 13, with Maddigan/PJ at 10 should be the looked at for the coming years.

P.Marshall, PJ/Maddigan, L.Marshall/McFadden, Cave, Zebo, Gilroy, Fitzgerald/Henshaw/Jones should be the backline brought on tour this summer for Ireland (presuming Zebo/Gilroy don't get Lions selections, which I doubt they will). And bring Trimble and Bowe also to add some experience.

alasdairduncan3 March 06, 2013 10:54 pm

I've never seen anything like that cited before, it would be ridiculous to call that dangerous.

themull March 06, 2013 11:29 pm

I completely agree that it's not dangerous, but do you remember Ferris' tackle last year against Wales was deemed dangerous by the citing commisioner?

Bunn March 06, 2013 8:38 pm

The first one is a head clash, poor technique and dangerous

Citing Commissioner March 06, 2013 9:28 pm

The first could be an alleged "no arm" tackle and the second was what is now classed as a "tip" tackle.

I'm glad this referee's inconsistency allowed both.

Strange no citing commissioner is getting all excited - I think it's probably because it was only on Irish TV so didn't get into the press when Stuart Barnes or some ignorant BBC commentator makes a fuss of it. The cynic in me may be starting to think the citing bodies are affected by publicity...

j b March 06, 2013 10:32 pm

jesus what a hit, hes a big contender, has to be replacement for o driscoll if not defo on the bench for the ireland team, but a big future

AndyB March 06, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm a ref, and both tackles look fine to me. First one showed not the best form, but not a shoulder charge - the arms were coming up to wrap and the force of the impact caused Cave to bounce off. Awkward, but play on in my book. Second tackle was not at all a tip - there was no lift and the tackled player landed on his back and butt, not his head. Again, play on.

Astronaut Mike Dexte March 06, 2013 11:34 pm

Two big if slightly reckless hits! I reckon Cave just lacks the acceleration and top end pace to be a long term replacement for BOD, but you never know! He has the defense and is an intelligent player.

Paul Marshall won't make it as an international he's a very good heads up player and impact sub but unfortunately that kind of play isn't suited to modern test rugby. He'll get a few caps on the Summer tour and maybe off the bench but he'll never be a starter. Next few years we could see Luke McGrath or Kieran Marimon putting serious pressure on Murray. Squad for the summer tour I'd like to see:

LHs: Kilcoyne, McAllister(if fit) or Denis Buckley
Hookers: Sherry, Herring
THs: Bent, Archer or Hagan
2nds: Nagle, Stevenson, Toner, Touhy
B ROW: Diack, Dom Ryan, Henderson, Henry(CAPT.) O'Donnell, Ruddock
SH: Marshall, McGrath, Marmion
OH: Jackson, Madigan, Keatley
Centre: Cave, Marshall, McSharry, O'Malley
Back 3: Gilroy, Henshaw, Fitzgerald, McFadden, O'Dea, Zebo.

I see no point in bringing most of the current senior squad as they won't benefit from the experience and a lot of them could do with a summer off it they're not with the Lions. Half of the players I named probably don't stand a chance of going on a summer tour.

EggsAndBacon March 07, 2013 12:14 pm

That would be an awesome squad to bring, but I think 1 or 2 older players would be important as well to guide the younger guys through.

I think most of those players will actually tour though, since its likely that a new coach will be brought in after the 6Nations. Henshaw, McSharry, Nagle, O'Donnell might not make the cut but I hope they do. They have all been extremely impressive this season.

Full Back March 08, 2013 9:22 pm

I agree, would love to see all the new talent get a run but I also think the All Blacks system of 7 leaders should be adopted. They have 7 named leaders who have to show example on and off the pitch to the new guys coming in.
I have to say for Ireland, the Fiji game was the one I enjoyed the most over the past 12 months, fair enough, it's not tier one competition but when I think back to a very stale 20-15 win over Samoa a couple of years back with an average age of 30 on the pitch for Ireland I get shivers.
Pity for Kidney, I thought he would have done better with what he had but he seems to just waste talent by being over conservative. We have a great new generation who came 5th in the U20 Jnr RWC, let them at it I say.
And lastly, I hate to see Earls (a Kidney pet) on in front of the very much on form Trimble, especially after wasting a perfect try scoring opportunity against the Scots and having failed to impress in general. He hasn't lived up to his early potential, Trimble on the other hand is solid and reliable, I can't get my head round his omission from the starting line-up against France.
Oh well....here's to dreaming!

Ronan March 07, 2013 12:52 am

well id much rather see cave in the centre than that stocking of shite earls.....
the sooner kidney goes the better, give some new talent a proper chance,
irish rugby has gone sooooooo stale....

apr March 07, 2013 3:37 am

the problem of alot of irish players are the limited chances they get, of course BOD is one of the greatest rugby players, really hope a new ireland coach doesnt select BOD, ogara and oconnell anymore to give chances to the new boys, i feel marshall, cave and mcsharry can do a good job, with ogara retiring and sexton going to france, now madigan will compete with jackson and maybe keatley and steenson for the 10 shirt. please excuse my english.

EggsAndBacon March 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Sexton will continue playing for Ireland I believe.

stroudos March 07, 2013 11:13 pm

First tackle was awful. Legal as far as I can see, but just a shit tackle.

Second is an absolute beauty though.

earls brother March 08, 2013 2:36 am

cave doesnt have it im afraid, just look at the stats of earls compared to the other players mentioned to be better than him.. they dont compare.. its easy to pick on just one player and jump on the bandwagon..

curates_egg March 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Your brother Keith may rack up some misleading stats but he is not a 13. For a start, he can't pass the ball, which is a fundamental problem for a centre. He made lots of yards in the last international but they don't count for much if you cough up the ball to the opposition at the end, which he does for both Munster and Ireland. Earls is a good, solid player for Munster but not an international centre. He could have been a left winger (he's a good finisher) but he refused to play on the wing and now Zebo has broken through and is just a different class.

As for the future 13 for Ireland, there is no stand-out option. Cave is a decent player for Ulster but hasn't taken his chances in a green shirt so far. O'Malley is a talented player for Leinster but has been out for a year, and is small, so may not work.

We will clearly not get someone the same quality as BOD but it is far from clear who will replace him.

earls brother March 08, 2013 6:41 pm

how are the stats misleading? stats are facts no?? and who would you play thirteen? partially agree with only one thing you have mentioned above, hes a better winger than he is a centre.. look at the games he has played 13 for ireland and look at the stats. take last years six nations.. fergus macfadden was shocking in the first game against wales and earls came in for the rest of the tournament and steadied the ship.. tackled well and passed well. look at the stats and player ratings throughout last years cahmpionship where he finally got a run of games as 13.. he was excellent and solid in every game.. yes i agree he missed a tackle in last yrs warm up game against england and didnt play well.. everyones entitled to a bad game.. but when they are remembered for that alone seems a bit harsh.. also in last heineken cup game he set up two tries for zebo.. of course he is not as good as o driscoll nobody will.. and yes zebo is class but with tommy bowe out our two best wingers at the moment in ireland are earls and zebo.. just my opinion but finishing stats dont lie.. earls has 12 tries.. fitz has only two tries for ireland.. trimble has 11 tries with a i think 10 more appearances on the wing for ireland.. its a no brainer..

browner March 13, 2013 9:14 pm

The 2nd Tacle if you apply to Law 'interpretation' is a YC

I've stopped the video, feet are up, upper body hits the ground first .... FACT

Every sensible viewer will think it was fine [so do i] , so why is the Law so badly worded.